Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I actually have a ton of respect for Hernandez after that, that match was fun as gently caress. If LU doesn't get a second season I'll be salty as all get out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Phenix Rising posted:

So jealous of you and that experience. It sounds completely insane and like so much fun. Congrats on getting to be a part of it!

Thanks. It was one of the things that made me even more of a fan. There was none of the carny-ish separation you might expect when we got backstage, even from guys like Hernandez, it was very much a feeling of "you're our fans and you're helping us out, you're important and we appreciate it." Which I don't know if you get elsewhere.

NOW GET HYPED FOR TWO HOURS NEXT WEEK, I'll put up the card breakdown and backstories probably this weekend.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
Hollyyyyyyy poo poo the mack and cage match and the stunner spot

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Yuriy posted:

Hollyyyyyyy poo poo the mack and cage match and the stunner spot

the crowd lost their loving poo poo, it's great

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Are you allowed to curb stomp black people on tv anymore cuz goddddamn that match loving owned

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

StarkRavingMad posted:

the crowd lost their loving poo poo, it's great

Yea man the crowd is loving awesome and that was one hell of an opening match

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Yuriy posted:

Are you allowed to curb stomp black people on tv anymore cuz goddddamn that match loving owned

LU doesn't give a gently caress, although it's kind of funny that this airs right after the Hogan thing

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Aww man son of havoc and angelico :( no belts after that bump

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
but Angelico got to kill himself, which is pretty much his goal 24/7

I was okay with them losing, Angelico and Son of Havoc probably deserve to do some singles poo poo at this point while the three clowns masked as the Disciples have nothing better

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

StarkRavingMad posted:

but Angelico got to kill himself, which is pretty much his goal 24/7

I was okay with them losing, Angelico and Son of Havoc probably deserve to do some singles poo poo at this point while the three clowns masked as the Disciples have nothing better

Yea but what other trios teams are there to challenge in season 2

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Yuriy posted:

Yea but what other trios teams are there to challenge in season 2

Eh, Dario can always make more

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

need to make a season 2 first

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

oatgan posted:

At least Catrina bo-lieves

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Hernandez looked like he got a belt shot to the face, his forehead was pretty red after the first spot to the ring.

That match was amazing and the perfect way to send the fans home happy after the Trios Title went to Death.

Some other thoughts:

Cage/Mack was barely a match, but it didn't need to be. That was the perfect curtain-jerker and probably the best CZW match that CZW never booked.

Trios match was good. A bit underwhelming, but they did the best they could with Ivelisse still hobbled. Angelico's death spot didn't disappoint, and the story they told fit well.

Hernandez/Drago was pure old-school rasslin' with the marks at ringside beating up the heel and helping the face. I loved every second of it.

That would've been a great show any week, but it's only the undercard of Ultima Lucha. Next week will be loving insane.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

oatgan posted:

Man you are a negative nancy

Benne posted:

Hernandez looked like he got a belt shot to the face, his forehead was pretty red after the first spot to the ring.

That match was amazing and the perfect way to send the fans home happy after the Trios Title went to Death.

Some other thoughts:

Cage/Mack was barely a match, but it didn't need to be. That was the perfect curtain-jerker and probably the best CZW match that CZW never booked.

Trios match was good. A bit underwhelming, but they did the best they could with Ivelisse still hobbled. Angelico's death spot didn't disappoint, and the story they told fit well.

Hernandez/Drago was pure old-school rasslin' with the marks at ringside beating up the heel and helping the face. I loved every second of it.

That would've been a great show any week, but it's only the undercard of Ultima Lucha. Next week will be loving insane.

I agree with all of this but how was Cage/Mack not a match, I mean it was a hardcore/garbage match or whatever you wanna call it but Mack got offense in and goddamn that stunner spot

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Yuriy posted:

I agree with all of this but how was Cage/Mack not a match, I mean it was a hardcore/garbage match or whatever you wanna call it but Mack got offense in and goddamn that stunner spot

Don't get me wrong. I say "barely a match" because they didn't even touch the ring, but the spot and weapon use was so loving good you don't even notice after a while. The story was perfect -- they were out for blood, and gently caress wrestling, we want to kill each other.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Benne posted:

Don't get me wrong. I say "barely a match" because they didn't even touch the ring, but the spot and weapon use was so loving good you don't even notice after a while. The story was perfect -- they were out for blood, and gently caress wrestling, we want to kill each other.

Eh, it was a Falls Count Anywhere match and the crowd interaction from them being all up in there really loving owned so I'm not bothered by the lack of in-ring stuff

loving loved that match though

Short, sweet and to the point

Pissing away Cage is the biggest gently caress up in recent WWE history imo

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Worth mentioning that this show was taped immediately after last week's show so you had a crowd that had been sitting in a hot, stuffy warehouse for like two hours at that point with a 15 minute-ish break after the last taping

the fact that Mack/Cage woke the crowd back up and hyped everyone up to be that super-loud for the rest of the show is really impressive, it was a brilliant opener

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Are there mats on the outside of the ring?

Are the benches just hard wood?

Because man, some of those bumps looked painful as gently caress

Also that fat guy in the red shirt got really into the whipping once he realized that Hernandez wasn't going to murder him for it

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Yuriy posted:

Eh, it was a Falls Count Anywhere match and the crowd interaction from them being all up in there really loving owned so I'm not bothered by the lack of in-ring stuff

loving loved that match though

Short, sweet and to the point

Pissing away Cage is the biggest gently caress up in recent WWE history imo

Maybe I'm too conditioned to standard WWE gimmick matches -- they start in the ring doing a normal match, somebody falls to the outside, and then the gimmick stuff starts.

In this match they didn't even bother with the niceties. That was jarring, in a good way.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Yuriy posted:

Are there mats on the outside of the ring?

Are the benches just hard wood?

Because man, some of those bumps looked painful as gently caress

Also that fat guy in the red shirt got really into the whipping once he realized that Hernandez wasn't going to murder him for it

There are mats outside the ring but they are just like mats you might see on the ground at a gym, they aren't super cushy.

The benches are hard as gently caress, I had bruises on my bony rear end just from plopping down on one too hard. Taking a suplex onto that must be murder.

I said this earlier in the thread, but we were told by Hernandez himself before the match that the "the ONLY way you can piss me off is to hit me like a fuckin' baby."

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

So now that Season 1 is almost over, I am reflecting on this poo poo and man, they got me interested in a bunch of guys

I knew Mack, Puma and Cage from other promotions so I'll pass on them but : Angelico, Jack Evans, Marty the Moth (is amazingly sleazy and I love him), Drago, King Cuerno, Pentagon Jr, Fenix, Aerostar and Texano Jr are all dudes I'd love to see again and more of

Mil Muertes though cool doesn't strike me as being a particularly cool dude outside of his LU gimmick so I dunno, I'd love to be proven wrong

Bengal, Pimpi and Sexy Star are also all cool as heck

Superfly is the only one that I can really think of that is just like complete "meh" tier in that I don't give a poo poo about him and he has done nothing to impress me

Though I saw a Pentagon Jr match at some like Mexican indy that I'd never heard of and he was grinding a broken beer bottle into a dude's forehead and that was kinda grody so I dunno what kind of poo poo he normally does

And mannn the vignettes with Dragon Azteca to close out the episode, I'd almost forgotten Dario's mutant brother and the ninja-lady storyline but those vignettes owned

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Jack Evans had like 3 matches this season but he's been so awesome I'm dying to see his older stuff.

I've seen some of Muertes' stuff in AAA (where he's unmasked and goes by El Mesias). It's pretty good, but you can tell why LU made him into a no-selling demon.

Apparently Sexy plays a rudo in AAA which seems weird to me.

Pentagon was in this year's PWG BOLA. Hopefully his star is rising higher after this LU run, because he deserves to be a huge deal.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Yea, I've watched some of AAA and I dig the tag-team of Jack Evans and Angelico

Handsome flippy white guys is a cool gimmick and they seemed pretty loving over there

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I really need to look up some rudo Sexy Star because I bet it's awesome.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Yuriy posted:

Yea, I've watched some of AAA and I dig the tag-team of Jack Evans and Angelico

Handsome flippy white guys is a cool gimmick and they seemed pretty loving over there

Jack claiming he invented lucha while being the whitest motherfucker around is such a good rudo gimmick.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Benne posted:

Pentagon was in this year's PWG BOLA. Hopefully his star is rising higher after this LU run, because he deserves to be a huge deal.

He's not the only one, there's six AAA/LU guys in the tourney this year. Pentagon, Fenix, Drago, Aerostar, Angelico, and Evans. They're mostly wrestling each other unfortunately, presumably because of language issues, but we are getting Aerostar/Cage and Fenix/Matt Sydal (aka Evan Bourne) in the announced matches so far. Also Evans and Angelico are wrestling Ricochet and Rich Swann in a non-tourney match which should be awesome.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Goddamn, Hernandez had a huge red welt from ear to ear over his eyes. :stare:

All the matches owned. Strangely little Son of Havoc in the trios match but the Disciples' new masks looked awesome. And did that dude in the white hoodie at the end just teleport out of existence or what? I'm losing track of magical ghost people.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I had hoped the Trios Champs would retain :smith:

That Mack/Cage match was unreal, the whole show was so much fun.

Discount Trombones
Jan 22, 2014
This was pretty great top to bottom. I lost it at the goddamn stunner.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

sticklefifer posted:

Goddamn, Hernandez had a huge red welt from ear to ear over his eyes. :stare:

I think I noticed that before the whipping started, so it may have been dye leaking from his red headband, or maybe he had it tied too tight. It lined up perfectly with where the headband was though. Wonder if it was intentional?

Part 1 was awesome. Bring on part 2!

Quote of the night from Vampiro: "If you don't believe in dragons you're not a real man."

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't know why but Mil Muertes does nothing for me. Maybe because I know who he is and he used to be jacked and now he's just kinda puffy? I just have trouble buying him as a killing machine.

I realize I'm sounding Yuriy-esque right now but it is what it is.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I like that Mil is kinda puffy because he looks like an old-achool barrel-chester luchador. He's also typically just much larger than his opponents, so that plays to him being a killing machine as well. His build may not work with the same kind of gimmick in WWE where everyone is typically large by default, but it works a bit better when his opponents are smaller lucha dudes.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
hey StarkRavingMad is this you?

Benne posted:

Jack Evans had like 3 matches this season but he's been so awesome I'm dying to see his older stuff.
watch some 2005 ROH to see him get murdered by Daniel Bryan and the non-washed up version of Samoa Joe. He was in a sweet rudo group with Roderick Strong, Austin Aries and Alex Shelley at the time.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 30, 2015

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Illinois Smith posted:

hey StarkRavingMad is this you?

watch some 2005 ROH to see him get murdered by Daniel Bryan and the non-washed up version of Samoa Joe. He was in a sweet rudo group with Roderick Strong, Austin Aries and Alex Shelley at the time.

That's me! Not the fat guy but the dude chasing Hernandez there. Terrible girlie overhand swing but the crowd was pretty close on my right and they told us whatever we do, don't clip any of the fans with the belt so I had to like shortarm it. Watching the video last night, I got a pretty good shot on him earlier when he went around the ring, I managed to get enough room to step into one.

It was really chaotic down there, it's hard to describe. Between trying not to trip over the camera cables and the mats, dealing with 15 other dudes trying to get a swing at Hernandez, not wanting to hit the crowd or the camera people, and not much all that planned out, it was pretty messy. But fun.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 30, 2015

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I don't know why but Mil Muertes does nothing for me. Maybe because I know who he is and he used to be jacked and now he's just kinda puffy? I just have trouble buying him as a killing machine.

I realize I'm sounding Yuriy-esque right now but it is what it is.

Embrace it

The world would be a better place if every wrestler looked like Cage and Lesnar

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Yuriy posted:

Embrace it

The world would be a better place if every wrestler looked like Cage and Lesnar

Well I mean even a guy like Owens is big enough in a distinctive way that it's different (plus he talks poo poo and screams a lot and his facial expressions scream murder). And smaller guys can get by on the idea of being agile, technical, kicking dudes' loving heads off, etc.

Mil is kind of just a generic wall of meat that doesn't talk and either lacks or just doesn't show the physical charisma necessary to overcome the problems.

Also I love everything about Drago except his finisher which is so underwhelming I can't even articulate my feelings about it.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I don't really have a lot to say apart from holy hell that was good god knows how they will top that next week.

This just makes me even more annoyed that I they don't ship merch to the UK goddamn I want a shirt.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Just started watching UL, all I need to say is I fuckin' love Mack. "THAT MAN HAS A FAMILY!!!!"

Edit: someone needs to show Austin that, stat.

Deep Thoreau fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HogX posted:

Edit: someone needs to show Austin that, stat.

Austin watches LU, so I imagine he'll see it eventually.

I hope he complains about Cage kicking out though :)

• Locked thread