Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Is there a mod that just makes all mobs passive? Right now I just play on peaceful, but I would like to have the option to punch skeletons on my own terms.

(I miss the peaceful pack :saddowns: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Truga posted:

One of my friends really likes bee/tree breeding and got super into it in a world we did a while ago.

That said, it's one of those things you do once and never again, because the first time it's fun for the exploration/discovery of things, every next time it seems to me it'd just be tedious at best.

Kinda like Thaumcraft research, really :v:

While the Bees::Research comparison is accurate on the face of it, they're a few orders of magnitude apart.

Thaumcraft is like barking your shin on a low table compared to Forestry bees kneeing you in the balls.

Of course repeating Thaumcraft research is like being being forced to constantly listen to nails on the chalkboard compared to dealing with any other tech/magic mod.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
What the ever loving gently caress is underneath the blood altar in the eerie island in Blightfall :catstare:

I am legit scared to go down there because this is some horror game poo poo and I am a giant crybaby when it comes to horror stuff in games (I lock up super hard)

Magres fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 28, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I tried for like an hour to come up with an idea for a building on Modderation FYAD (thanks projecte for literally infinite resources :buddy:) and ended up doing nothing more than digging out a giant hole in the side of a cliff. I need some kind of inspiration for a building :(

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

forestry bees are sorta fun if you're in the right mindset for it but it's eventually kind of a wasted effort because everything else probably adds ways to just grow diamonds or whatever the gently caress in half the time and a fraction of the resources.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have what is presumably a very simple issue, but I am too dumb to resolve it myself.

I wanted a minimap mod, so I googled and installed this one. I installed Forge, followed the instructions at that link, and everything worked great for months with whatever combination of Forge, Java, and satanic offerings were presently on my computer at the time. Time passed and I decided it was time to format my SSD, then more time passed and I decided to re-download minecraft, Forge, and Xaero's. Once more following the instructions on the linked page (and links on it), I downloaded Forge and Xaero's, but now I just get a blank screen once I launch the Forge profile. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, and I have the latest version of all the Windows java packages (offline, online, 32- and 64-bit) installed, and everything is in default directories. What am I overlooking?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Blind Duke posted:

There's no way that a method for checking if you are using the last block in a stack doesn't exist outside of on tick events, I refuse to accept that it's that badly programmed

IIRC, in forestry it constantly fills it, not just when you're using the last block in a stack. Invtweaks can replace stacks when you finish them, and I'm not sure what method it uses to do that. I'm just on a phone so it's too much of a pain to check, but I believe iron backpacks has something that works similarly to Invtweaks.

Regardless of what can/can't be done, checking every tick is how forestry does it, that's why if you ever check opis on a server with forestry, each player entity will be using way more tick time than they would be without. It should really never be a surprise that MC or its mods are programmed like poo poo.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Blind Duke posted:

There's no way that a method for checking if you are using the last block in a stack doesn't exist outside of on tick events, I refuse to accept that it's that badly programmed

Actually...

No, it really is. When an item is used, Forge does fire an event. If anything intercepts that event and cancels it, okay. However, there's no consistent way of determining *what* happens to a given item once it's been used, as that is all on the item.

It could be placed in the world, like a block. It could kill the player outright. It could turn into a potato. It may simply count to potato.

Crazy as it sounds, the way Forestry does it is not entirely unreasonable. There's already a check made on every item in the player's inventory every tick.

Satchels need a bit more usefulness, but it's exactly this kind of stuff that makes me hesitate adding in auto-refilling stuff. MC really is badly coded.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

KingLemming posted:

There's already a check made on every item in the player's inventory every tick.

:notch:

edit: And the forge hook can't be used for anything else? just cancelling?

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

KingLemming posted:

There's already a check made on every item in the player's inventory every tick.

Oh wow, is THIS what being triggered is? Please make it stop.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

KingLemming posted:

Satchels need a bit more usefulness, but it's exactly this kind of stuff that makes me hesitate adding in auto-refilling stuff. MC really is badly coded.

The auto refilling stuff is dumb, I think. If you're building something how hard it is to just put a few stack in your hotbar? I usually turn it off from inventory tweaks just because it bugs out so much.

The real feature for the backpacks is the automatic pulling of stuff like cobblestone or ores. That way when you go mining you aren't just filling up your inventory.

My favorite backpack mod is Backpacks! because it can suck items automatically from your inventory based on a filter and then be placed in the world to pipe things in and out of.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

bigperm posted:

The auto refilling stuff is dumb, I think. If you're building something how hard it is to just put a few stack in your hotbar? I usually turn it off from inventory tweaks just because it bugs out so much.

The real feature for the backpacks is the automatic pulling of stuff like cobblestone or ores. That way when you go mining you aren't just filling up your inventory.

This is doable with Pickup events and is way less inventory intensive. The Lexicon does a bit of this voodoo already. Auto-storage might be feasible.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

KingLemming posted:

This is doable with Pickup events and is way less inventory intensive. The Lexicon does a bit of this voodoo already. Auto-storage might be feasible.

Just curious, would it be possible to make a 'bag' to hold a lot of 1 item, that places one of the block when you right click and opens if you shift+right click? Maybe it doesn't even need to be operable with a proper inventory, just have it turn them into a stored number that iterates down when used, and shift +rmb just pulls a stack out, or what is left if it has less than a stack.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

axelsoar posted:

Just curious, would it be possible to make a 'bag' to hold a lot of 1 item, that places one of the block when you right click and opens if you shift+right click? Maybe it doesn't even need to be operable with a proper inventory, just have it turn them into a stored number that iterates down when used, and shift +rmb just pulls a stack out, or what is left if it has less than a stack.

Botanica black hole charms already do this?

bbcisdabomb posted:

Direwolf uses something like that, it shows up as /dev/null. No idea what it's from.

I think that's from extra ultilities or something. And those store only a certain amount then delete any excess that comes in.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 28, 2015

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

axelsoar posted:

Direwolf uses something like that, it shows up as /dev/null. No idea what it's from.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

bbcisdabomb posted:

Is that what that thing from Openblocks does?

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

axelsoar posted:

Yeah, definitely possible. Not sure if I'd model it as a bag or some sort of Ender device though. I'll put it on the list.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

KingLemming posted:

Yeah, definitely possible. Not sure if I'd model it as a bag or some sort of Ender device though. I'll put it on the list.

Cool, I dig it, thanks KL.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

KingLemming posted:

Something like this, but for liquids, has been a big winner idea for me for a while.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Falcon2001 posted:

Something like this, but for liquids, has been a big winner idea for me for a while.

Pressure Pipes mod has something like that if I am reading your concept correctly. Maybe one of those backpack mods does too, I am not sure.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

axelsoar posted:

/dev/null (only stores 64 and deletes extras) and Botania's black hole talisman

quote:

Black Hole Talisman

The void is a massive space full of... void, really. There's nothing there. But with some ingenuity, this space can be used to store items to your heart's content.
The Black Hole Talisman utilizes powerful Gaia and Ender magic to allow for a virtually infinite quantity of a single type of block to be stored in this space.
Right clicking a block in the world will set the talisman to store that type of block. This can only be done if the talisman is empty. Next off, shift-right clicking the talisman in the air will enable or disable it. Whilst enabled and in the user's inventory it'll absorb any blocks of the type into it.
Placing the item in a crafting grid allows one to extract stacks of the blocks in it.
While the talisman has any contents in it, the blocks in it can be placed as if they were normal blocks stored in the inventory via a simple right click with it.
Right clicking an inventory will try to fill it with the blocks stored in the talisman.

Very possible >:)

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Falcon2001 posted:

Already in Thermal Expansion. It's called a FluiVac.

Works really well with Portable Tanks. Can fill and empty them and anything like them (IFluidContainerItems) in your inventory.

There's also a similar tool that does the same with RF. It's maybe a bit silly but works quite well.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

KingLemming posted:

Works really well with Portable Tanks. Can fill and empty them and anything like them (IFluidContainerItems) in your inventory.

There's also a similar tool that does the same with RF. It's maybe a bit silly but works quite well.

Hurray! Been waiting on the new blightfall so haven't played in a while, but good to hear that it exists.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

KingLemming posted:

Wait, as in you point it at stuff and you give it power?

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

axelsoar posted:

Wait, as in you point it at stuff and you give it power?

Well you transfer energy from something like an Energy Cell that is in your inventory.

Alternatively, you'd extract energy from a block and put it into the Energy Cell.

For both tools, there's a mode change key.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
E: Nevermind, I was digging in the wrong spot for Manganese, bleh

E2: God damnit I found it within thirty seconds of starting digging at the right level, after like an hour at the wrong level :mad:

Magres fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 29, 2015

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

KingLemming posted:

Well you transfer energy from something like an Energy Cell that is in your inventory.

Alternatively, you'd extract energy from a block and put it into the Energy Cell.

For both tools, there's a mode change key.

Please tell me the energy tool looks like :science:

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

bigperm posted:

When building I want to keep a variety of blocks in my hotbar without messing around with my inventory every few moments. For a game about placing blocks there's a lack of refinement to the whole ordeal

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
So it seems (basing this on hearsay) that the changes to block models in the 1.9 snapshot released today is a decent improvement.

-Models can be put together based on BlockState attributes (fences has used this to reduce their number of block models by nearly 300 ).
-Better rotation and translation handling.
-Models can be set to change based on being used in the head slot or new off hand slot.
-Parent and elements tags can now coexist.
-Support for different model/textures based on damage values, stack sixes and item states.

Out of all of them, the first item seems the biggest in terms of modding, hopefully these changes help with some of the complaints modders have with the system 1.8 introduced.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Is OMP stable? I want to finally find something that can replace Tekkit for me.

I really liked EE's mechanic of converting mass to energy to other types of mass for getting building materials

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Doctor Goat posted:

Is OMP stable? I want to finally find something that can replace Tekkit for me.

I really liked EE's mechanic of converting mass to energy to other types of mass for getting building materials

Then you'll love Modderation FYAD.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

mechaet posted:

Then you'll love Modderation FYAD.

You forgot the links. :stonk: See my earlier post for links. ;)

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Has anyone tried Agrarian Skies 2? I had a blast with Agrarian Skies last year and I'm feeling a skyblock kind of itch again. Material Energy kind of bummed me out because you start with a whole enormous base already built. But AS2 doesn't seem to be available in any launchers, and :effort:. Any similar start-with-nothing skyblock packs to recommend, maybe?

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Nomikos posted:

Has anyone tried Agrarian Skies 2? I had a blast with Agrarian Skies last year and I'm feeling a skyblock kind of itch again. Material Energy kind of bummed me out because you start with a whole enormous base already built. But AS2 doesn't seem to be available in any launchers, and :effort:. Any similar start-with-nothing skyblock packs to recommend, maybe?

mechaet has an older Ag Skies 2 posted on Technic, I believe with his public server's address included in the pack. It hasn't been updated as updates break existing HQM progress.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It was created for the launch of another launcher so finding it is all reliant on other people loading it to the other ones, like mechaet has. The problem is that certain pieces from the older version aren't yet complete and I found the progression isn't nearly as tightly designed as the first Agrarian Skies.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Agrarian skies 2 is fun but it suffers a lot from a lack of quest direction and the extremely idiotic decision of making passive mobs attack you. You can't even get the quests for any of the AE2 machines until you build a Retriever, which requires some of the rarest ingredients to get in the early game (ender pearls, platinum). The Thaumcraft section is a complete clusterfuck of quests and doesn't really explain how to do anything to new players.

The curse launcher honestly isn't that bad though. The ease in which you can download texture packs with it is fantastic.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Anyone have any recommendations for good progression oriented modpacks? I'm hitting the point in Blightfall where the game is pretty much "plant Ethereal Blooms, wait a while, collect and replant Ethereal Blooms" to get my island base cleaned off, so I'm looking for something new.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Desperate Character posted:

Agrarian skies 2 is fun but it suffers a lot from a lack of quest direction and the extremely idiotic decision of making passive mobs attack you. You can't even get the quests for any of the AE2 machines until you build a Retriever, which requires some of the rarest ingredients to get in the early game (ender pearls, platinum). The Thaumcraft section is a complete clusterfuck of quests and doesn't really explain how to do anything to new players.

The curse launcher honestly isn't that bad though. The ease in which you can download texture packs with it is fantastic.

Agreed on the Curse Launcher, I like how easy it is to add/edit Mods, Resource Packs, Modpacks, etc.

As far as AS2 goes, I agree that it lacks some direction. I know most of the mods much less than I would like and have no idea where to begin on some. I just need to spend some time browsing the web, NEI and the mods themselves and I can get it....but my question is whether or not a modpack exists that does a really good job of breaking it down into quests that explore the mods in a sequential way.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Hitch posted:

but my question is whether or not a modpack exists that does a really good job of breaking it down into quests that explore the mods in a sequential way.
I guess that's my cue for Baby's First Space Race. I put that together with a quest book for people that haven't necessarily even played Minecraft before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howmuch
Apr 29, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I guess that's my cue for Baby's First Space Race. I put that together with a quest book for people that haven't necessarily even played Minecraft before.

I really want to put that modpack on my server for my friends that have never really played with mods.
I've only installed modpacks through point-and-click installers at my hosts control panel so I don't really know where to start with setting up a server for BFSR. :(