Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

DandyLion posted:

Hello. Get your rear end out to the sandlot and join us some time. Of the three groups in the area, we're the only true HEMA group. I've practiced/sparred with the guys at the apartment complex, and they're mostly into some bastardized amalgamation of asian bushido and Tallhoffer's works. I don't even think Arcane Combat Society is still around, since most of them joined up with the local SCA group. We stick to the park cause nobody wants to fork over cash every weekend to rent out space somewhere. We have plenty of spare feder's and gear though, so if you just are curious you can come check it out. We don't have membership fee's or anything like that.

Re: $500 membership: Is that Louisville Fencing Club? Maestro Stawicki is pretty fantastic, trained under him for about 5 years, but that cost just seems asinine on top of the $150 a month cost unless like Ravenfood said you're training for high level competition.

Ha! Well, hello there! I'll have to make a trip out, maybe this weekend. What time do you guys get together?

And yeah, the fencing place is LFC. I've always been interested in it, but it just seems really pricey since I don't have any Olympic aspirations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Two classes a week isn't really a competitive track. Two nights a week is me just barely clinging to my C. The competitive track is probably more like three classes plus one or two private lessons a week.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

dupersaurus posted:

Two classes a week isn't really a competitive track. Two nights a week is me just barely clinging to my C. The competitive track is probably more like three classes plus one or two private lessons a week.
Yeah. I got an A (in epee, which seems more prone to sudden bursts of ranking higher with a good match-up/streak) with 4-5 2hr practices a week, but sans professional coaching (minus the six weeks I talked about re: pricing). Now that I'm only able to go to 1/week, again without coaching (and took a multi-year break) I'm down to a B and barely holding that at tournaments. I'm hoping this year to see where I end up after a few NACs/ROCs, but I really don't expect anything more than to hold my B at best. To get better, you'll need 3+ classes and some good coaching.

e: vvv :( I hope 1/week and decent cross-training/home footwork is enough.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 31, 2015

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

A rule of thumb I once heard was that twice weekly is enough to stay at a decent level, but if you want to improve, three times a week is the minimum.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Siivola posted:

It's a feder. It's originally a post-15th century training weapon that got revived fairly recently. That particular one is one of Peter Regenyei's Trnava models.

Actually it's an Ensifer heavy, though they look similar.

HappyKitty posted:

Is there any substantial difference between a feder with plain rectangular ricasso and the kind with a spurred trapezoidal ricasso?

It's mostly dependent on weight, length, size of the grip, etc.. It's a lot of preference.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

10 Beers posted:

What time do you guys get together?

We meet around 1pm on Sundays. Practice is usually around 2 hrs.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

DandyLion posted:

We meet around 1pm on Sundays. Practice is usually around 2 hrs.

Cherokee Park, right? Do I need to bring anything besides water to drink?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

That sounds pretty expensive to me, but I guess it depends on what level you're wanting to take it to, and the quality of training you're paying for.
Also, I'm a casual scrub who generally fences at university clubs, which are dirt cheap in comparison - it works out at a few hundred dollars per year, but the level of coaching and gear is pretty basic, and sessions amount to about 5-6 hours per week.

Actually, how do prices compare for all of you guys? I wouldn't know what to expect at higher levels since I'm from New Zealand and we don't give a poo poo about anything other than rugby here :sigh:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

That sounds pretty expensive to me, but I guess it depends on what level you're wanting to take it to, and the quality of training you're paying for.
Also, I'm a casual scrub who generally fences at university clubs, which are dirt cheap in comparison - it works out at a few hundred dollars per year, but the level of coaching and gear is pretty basic, and sessions amount to about 5-6 hours per week.

Actually, how do prices compare for all of you guys? I wouldn't know what to expect at higher levels since I'm from New Zealand and we don't give a poo poo about anything other than rugby here :sigh:
Well, you heard my prices for professional coaching. My college club consisted of $40/year and coaching was basically done by older student fencers, which ranged from anywhere to an A or B in epee, to a C in foil, to an E in sabre. I think their current coaching "staff" is basically all E's/U's, but that's about what they were when we made those A's/B's, so... :shrug: We also got to borrow jackets, lames, masks, and weapons from the club I guess, and had 2-3 working electric strips.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Verisimilidude posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzEwsnkMR2c

I love the way these guys fence. I'm not sure how good they are as I've never met them in person or seen them fight outside of their school, but it's just so fluid and snappy. It really inspires me to work more from the bind and to grab for my opponent's weapon.
On which sources is their style based on? I tried reading their website, but im too dumb for spanish...

Nektu fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Aug 1, 2015

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
Prices will vary a LOT by region, so don't worry if another goon is getting a better deal in another part of the world. Also, don't stress over which club to choose when you start out if you are lucky enough to have multiple nearby options with similar pricing. Switching clubs is really common, and you are not married to the spot where you start.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Got to go out and have my first experience with ARMA yesterday with DandyLion and his friends. It was a great time!

In the interest of being able to bring my own stuff, I see ARMA also recommends New Stirling Arms and Hollow Earth swords for wasters. I got to handle some New Stirling stuff yesterday, anyone have experience with Hollow Earth?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Just so you know, medieval dagger is the funnest, most unfair weapon known to man and if your club's not doing any dagger, you're missing out bad.

:ese:

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
I don't think mine is doing medieval dagger. We're doing Highland Broadsword and will be starting quarterstaff next week. On Highland broadswords, is there any disadvantage to having a basket-hilt? The swords we use have them and we can't find any disadvantage to it. We reckon there has to be for sabres and other similar swords, otherwise it would have become a standard.

I have also managed to hurt my wrist doing fencing. I wish I was less bad at protecting my wrist and forearm. I can't even do press-ups after some intensive sparring the other day.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Hazzard posted:

I don't think mine is doing medieval dagger. We're doing Highland Broadsword and will be starting quarterstaff next week. On Highland broadswords, is there any disadvantage to having a basket-hilt? The swords we use have them and we can't find any disadvantage to it. We reckon there has to be for sabres and other similar swords, otherwise it would have become a standard.

I have also managed to hurt my wrist doing fencing. I wish I was less bad at protecting my wrist and forearm. I can't even do press-ups after some intensive sparring the other day.

Wear it all day and see how much you like the basket hilt.

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
Hadn't thought about the comfort of the hilt, but wouldn't that be easily solved by positioning the scabbard so that the hilt ends up hanging a few inches in front of you?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

10 Beers posted:

Got to go out and have my first experience with ARMA yesterday with DandyLion and his friends. It was a great time!

In the interest of being able to bring my own stuff, I see ARMA also recommends New Stirling Arms and Hollow Earth swords for wasters. I got to handle some New Stirling stuff yesterday, anyone have experience with Hollow Earth?

Bumping this, just in case.

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks

Siivola posted:

Just so you know, medieval dagger is the funnest, most unfair weapon known to man and if your club's not doing any dagger, you're missing out bad.

:ese:

The most fun I ever had in my time with historical was full contact longsword sparring with daggers as backup weapons. Most rounds were just typical longsword hits, but every once in a while it devolved into a stabby wrestling match. Would not recommend if you bruise easily.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

But bruising is the best thing! You don't have anything to show off otherwise!

Hazzard posted:

Is it hurt because of a hit or because you're manipulating the sword with the wrist too much? It's not strictly speaking wrong to strike with the wrist, but it's kind of a weak point in the modern geek's arm.

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

Siivola posted:

Is it hurt because of a hit or because you're manipulating the sword with the wrist too much? It's not strictly speaking wrong to strike with the wrist, but it's kind of a weak point in the modern geek's arm.

Fairly sure it's just from my wrist and forearm being whacked. On the weeks where the arm hasn't been hit as much it's been fine. Usually it's just by upper arm hurting a bit from the guards being quite extended. We hold them with the arm made completely straight, then slightly bent. If I just get better and protecting arms and wrists I should be fine. It's a learning experience. We just focused on it for a few weeks since it's a way of making the other guy stop fighting,

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Got to model for Guy Windsor's upcoming advanced longsword guide. I'm famous now. :toot:

Edit: Spoke too soon, turns out we're going to have to re-take all the 300+ photos we took today. :suicide:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 8, 2015

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
Good fun. Sempai, as we jokingly call the bloke who knows the books best and teaching them is probably at Fight Camp today and trying to prove we know it right. Anyone here having gone to it?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Siivola posted:

I got whacked so hard on my knee this weekend that the bruise left a perfect imprint of the nails that hold the pike's federn (the metal strips below the head) to the shaft.

edit: thrusting my long, inelegant weapon over and over

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 9, 2015

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

pike's federn (the metal strips below the head) to the shaft.

I thought those strips were called langets? Or is it just the same thing, but in different languages?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

10 Beers posted:

I thought those strips were called langets? Or is it just the same thing, but in different languages?
i live in germany right now and communicate by pointing at random poo poo and asking the people around me what to call it, so probably

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

i live in germany right now and communicate by pointing at random poo poo and asking the people around me what to call it, so probably

Oh, okay. The more you know! :science:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

I asked in the medieval combat thread, and I'll ask here, too. Anyone have experience with the Hanwei practical trainers? So far the consensus has been "cheap, but bad."

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

10 Beers posted:

I asked in the medieval combat thread, and I'll ask here, too. Anyone have experience with the Hanwei practical trainers? So far the consensus has been "cheap, but bad."

They're pretty bad. The weight distribution is all kinds of bad, the construction is poor quality, and worst of all they have a tendency to snap. There are other cheap alternatives to hanwei that are only a bit more expensive for a much higher quality weapon.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Verisimilidude posted:

They're pretty bad. The weight distribution is all kinds of bad, the construction is poor quality, and worst of all they have a tendency to snap. There are other cheap alternatives to hanwei that are only a bit more expensive for a much higher quality weapon.

Thanks for the feedback! What are the other alternatives? The only other places I know of are Albion and Arms and Armor, but I'm sure there's probably a lot more. I haven't looked at sword stuff in a few years.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm very fond of the Regenyei steel longswords we have at our club, but finding them in the States might be tricky. Purpleheart Armory imports really pretty Ensifer feders, and I can't remember hearing a bad word about them. Purpleheart also deals in all sorts of wasters, in case you'd like something less metal.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Siivola posted:

I'm very fond of the Regenyei steel longswords we have at our club, but finding them in the States might be tricky. Purpleheart Armory imports really pretty Ensifer feders, and I can't remember hearing a bad word about them. Purpleheart also deals in all sorts of wasters, in case you'd like something less metal.

If you email Scott brown at sbrown133@gmail.com he can send you a Regenyei. He imports them every month or so. You can check him out on facebook at hema supplies.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 10, 2015

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Verisimilidude posted:

If you email Scott brown at sbrown133@gmail.com he can send you a Regenyei. He imports them every month or so. You can check him out on facebook at hema supplies.

So, Regenyei, Arms and Armor, and Albion. Any other recommendations?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

10 Beers posted:

So, Regenyei, Arms and Armor, and Albion. Any other recommendations?

Chlebowski makes pretty decent swords, as does castille armory (at least their latest batch, which is being informed by a very practiced hema instructor). Ensifer are really good and will last forever, though I think the regenyei has a slightly higher build quality for less money. Your best bet would be trying as many different types of swords and getting the one you like the best. Don't go cheaper than $300 (though the castilles run sub-$300. I haven't tried them myself so I can't say if they're good or not).

Pros and cons of various swords:

Regenyei - durable, cheap, generally easy and fast to acquire (through Scott Brown). No cons that I know of.

Albion - high quality, shorter blade and handle, a tad more fency as opposed to realistic. Takes a long time to get unless you buy them used. My preference.

Ensifer - durable, easy to acquire (through purple heart armory), shorter blade and handle, reasonably priced.

Pavel moc - very long blade and grip, relatively cheap. Build quality may be kinda meh but he is known to send people brand new swords for free if they break. May take a while to acquire since they ship from Eastern Europe.

Chlebowski - relatively cheap, takes a while to get (through sword class NYC), he does custom orders for cheap (mostly fine tuning). The grip wrap tends to break but it can be fixed. The build quality is a bit lackluster and they tend to take a bend easily, but they're getting better.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Verisimilidude posted:

Chlebowski makes pretty decent swords, as does castille armory (at least their latest batch, which is being informed by a very practiced hema instructor). Ensifer are really good and will last forever, though I think the regenyei has a slightly higher build quality for less money. Your best bet would be trying as many different types of swords and getting the one you like the best. Don't go cheaper than $300 (though the castilles run sub-$300. I haven't tried them myself so I can't say if they're good or not).

Pros and cons of various swords:

Regenyei - durable, cheap, generally easy and fast to acquire (through Scott Brown). No cons that I know of.

Albion - high quality, shorter blade and handle, a tad more fency as opposed to realistic. Takes a long time to get unless you buy them used. My preference.

Ensifer - durable, easy to acquire (through purple heart armory), shorter blade and handle, reasonably priced.

Pavel moc - very long blade and grip, relatively cheap. Build quality may be kinda meh but he is known to send people brand new swords for free if they break. May take a while to acquire since they ship from Eastern Europe.

Chlebowski - relatively cheap, takes a while to get (through sword class NYC), he does custom orders for cheap (mostly fine tuning). The grip wrap tends to break but it can be fixed. The build quality is a bit lackluster and they tend to take a bend easily, but they're getting better.

Thanks! Now, just to grab one of these and a waster, and at least I'll have some stuff to practice with.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
I recommend Danelli Armories every chance I get, but I think their waitlist is nearing a year now so you may not have the patience for it.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Last sword question for a bit, hopefully. Anyone heard or have experience with Valiant Armoury?
http://www.valiant-armoury.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=72

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Ditch the long sword and choose the one true HEMA weapon: Mair Daggers

edit: and also ringen

Rabhadh fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Aug 12, 2015

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Rabhadh posted:

Ditch the long sword and choose the one true HEMA weapon: Mair Daggers

". . .thus you stab him in his genitals."

Hmm. Yes. I approve.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

10 Beers posted:

Last sword question for a bit, hopefully. Anyone heard or have experience with Valiant Armoury?
http://www.valiant-armoury.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=72

They're a bit on the lighter side and aren't strictly tournament legal. They also have a hex nut fixture instead of a peen, which means the pommel, grip, and potentially guard come loose and rattle after a while. You'll have to constantly tighten it, but it does keep the price down.

That being said it's a decent trainer, but my preference would be to shell out for something a bit lower maintenance. Also their cutters are pretty great, especially for the price point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

So I'm a huge nerd who's decided to pick up HEMA (longsword) to stave off cabin fever at my new job. I will be utterly alone (well, with 10 other people) on an island in the middle of nowhere for a year, with an embarrassing amount of free time. Considering that I'm an absolute beginner, how should I practice this stuff? I've been looking at various articles and fechtbücher on the net, and together with this thread, I get the idea that footwork and general fitness are vitally important, so that's something I'd like to know more about. But then there's stuff like stances/guards/whatever the terminology is - how much of that can I practice on my own? Is it actually feasible? And then there's the unknown unknowns that I don't even know to ask about!

So how about it? I know I'm in totally over my head, but can you goons teach me swim (metaphorically)?