Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

Horace posted:

Oh, I love these. I'd forgotten all about them until a couple of months ago when I found some magazines from the early 00s. Here's an ad picked at random:

These cost £3 each. That's how much you had to pay if you wanted to see Snoopy being ejaculated on every time you looked at your Nokia 3210.

I would scan these, use a bitmap editor and import them using a regular nokia data cable. I remember spending a lot of time getting various programs working and uploading those logos, but in the end, probably changed the logo twice ever.

It's hilarious to even contemplate spending money on 28x32 monochrome BMPs, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Let's not think about that too hard, we all spent $5 on 125x125 JPGs/PNGs/GIFs.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
CalculaTURD

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Squish posted:

I would scan these, use a bitmap editor and import them using a regular nokia data cable. I remember spending a lot of time getting various programs working and uploading those logos, but in the end, probably changed the logo twice ever.

It's hilarious to even contemplate spending money on 28x32 monochrome BMPs, isn't it?

That just reminds me of something I used to do in Mario Paint - I'd take a magnifying glass to issues of Nintendo Power, and pixel-by-pixel recreate sprites in it so I could use them in my "art". I think I had the whole FF4 cast done at one point.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
My most shameful purchase ever was a $4.99 ringtone of Song 2 by Blur.

A MIDI version of Song 2 by Blur :gonk:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

You could have spent that money on a lovely knockoff usb cable and put all the midis you wanted on instead! I think I had Doom e1m1 as my ringtone for all of 10 minutes before I realised I was a tool and put my phone on vibrate only.

I don't even know what my ringtone is now as I havent used anything other than silent for the last 10 years.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mine's actually still the Mother 3 thing :v:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

robodex posted:

Don't worry, man. We've all bought dumb poo poo.

I bought a fold-up keyboard for my Handspring Visor back in the day. :smith::hf::smith:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

My Lovely Horse posted:

Mine's actually still the Mother 3 thing :v:

It's a good ringtone. That or I Will Give You My All

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I bought a fold-up keyboard for my Handspring Visor back in the day. :smith::hf::smith:

Me too, and a wifi card.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
So you want a smart phone, but you're old and can't give up your flip phone.

Well...

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Mister Kingdom posted:

Well...

I want this very much even though i have a great phone and it's almost certainly dumb and bad

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

Well...

$170? I'd buy it so long as it could manage 2 days battery life. Of course I'd still install the Awful app and burn through the battery on the shitter so it probably wouldn't matter...

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Mister Kingdom posted:

Well...

Oh man. As someone who is still hasn't upgraded to a smart phone yet this is extremely tempting. Unfortunately two reasons I do want to eventually move onto something more modern are
1. I will break that hinge at some point, it has happened to every phone I've owned and it's always shocking and devastating when it happens
2. I just want to use my phone in public without people coming over being like "DUUUDE FLIP PHONE LOLOL THEY STILL MAKE THOSE?!?!" I'm really not trying to make a political statement I just hate change :(

I will seriously be considering this though, thanks for enabling me :v:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I had a keyboard for my Palm IIIc, that poo poo was awesome! Then I got a keyboard for my Tungsten E, but the ports changed and you could only get a lovely flimsy IR keyboard that lagged or disconnected constantly or a Bluetooth one that cost half as much as the device itself.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Manuel Calavera posted:

It's a good ringtone. That or I Will Give You My All

I'm using Ministry's "New World Order". I don't have to worry about feeling the vibrate when the phone is in my coat pocket, and I sure as hell don't have to worry about not hearing my ringtone for the first few seconds.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

ddddddffdfddddfddf posted:

I want this very much even though i have a great phone and it's almost certainly dumb and bad

Oh I would love that.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

sweeperbravo posted:

Oh man. As someone who is still hasn't upgraded to a smart phone yet this is extremely tempting. Unfortunately two reasons I do want to eventually move onto something more modern are
1. I will break that hinge at some point, it has happened to every phone I've owned and it's always shocking and devastating when it happens
2. I just want to use my phone in public without people coming over being like "DUUUDE FLIP PHONE LOLOL THEY STILL MAKE THOSE?!?!" I'm really not trying to make a political statement I just hate change :(

I will seriously be considering this though, thanks for enabling me :v:

After you own a smartphone for a few months you'll quickly forget why you were so opposed to getting on in the first place.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jmcrofts posted:

After you own a smartphone for a few months you'll quickly forget why you were so opposed to getting on in the first place.

Or a few days, in the case of both of my parents.

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Wanamingo posted:

Or a few days, in the case of both of my parents.

My mom is still a holdout on getting a smart phone stating "why do I need to be always connects, you and your brother have a smart phone if I need something" even though we are both no longer around. Recently I got a Galaxy Note 4, and have been working at convincing her to get one since it wouldn't be much of a change from her Kindle Fire. Currently she has the Motorola Rush 2.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Jmcrofts posted:

"Heh, why would I ever need a smart phone? My Nokia is great, I can text super fast on it, it fits right in my front pocket and the battery lasts for days with typical use. I bet I'd never use the internet features anyway. :smuggo:" -Cobalt shortly before being given a Galaxy S2 to replace her 6650

I still hate having to charge the goddamn thing every day, though.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Jmcrofts posted:

I know. I mean it was the same thing when I went from no phone to my first cell phone, or even my first flip phone to my second, you adapt after a while. I'm mostly sad about losing my ability to text without having to look at the screen/without having a million autocorrect misunderstandings. Love being able to walk around watching where I'm going while effectively touch typing. Never seen anybody be able to do that on a touch screen, no matter how long they've had the thing for, but maybe it's possible to do it and people just like looking at their phone while they text.

I've had the same model phone since 2009. There's kids as old as my phone who have smart phones :smith:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

sweeperbravo posted:

I know. I mean it was the same thing when I went from no phone to my first cell phone, or even my first flip phone to my second, you adapt after a while. I'm mostly sad about losing my ability to text without having to look at the screen/without having a million autocorrect misunderstandings. Love being able to walk around watching where I'm going while effectively touch typing. Never seen anybody be able to do that on a touch screen, no matter how long they've had the thing for, but maybe it's possible to do it and people just like looking at their phone while they text.

I've had the same model phone since 2009. There's kids as old as my phone who have smart phones :smith:

I can't shake the feeling that these negatives are somewhat outweighed by the positives in this situation

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

You can use voice recognition for texting on a smartphone if you don't want to look at the screen.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I still use mine with my Prism

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Humboldt Squid posted:

You can use voice recognition for texting on a smartphone if you don't want to look at the screen.

You can always get a Blackberry Passport

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I had a type-it-in ringtone of the pager alert from GTA 3, that was the poo poo

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I had a midi ringtone of slayers raining blood, and it was the best thing ever. The vibration motor even replicated the double bass drums. To this day I wish I still had that tone on my iPhone. Nothing will ever come close to being as awesome, especially when some redneck would recognize it while standing in line at the local head shop.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

It wasn't just you. And I had a modem and a special cable to jack it into the 14.4 cell modem in my old Sprint phone. And there were more Visor goodies on hand too...

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Humboldt Squid posted:

When it decides to work. Say long message. Phone responds "I'm sorry I can't take any requests right now, please try again later." Much help you are Siri. Or the voice recognition software on your smartphone in general doesn't understand what you're saying and guesses completely wrong.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyLqUf4cdwc

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

drgnwr1 posted:

When it decides to work. Say long message. Phone responds "I'm sorry I can't take any requests right now, please try again later." Much help you are Siri. Or the voice recognition software on your smartphone in general doesn't understand what you're saying and guesses completely wrong.

That's because the iPhone doesn't decode your speech. It sends your request to a data center in North Carolina and transmits the results back to your phone. I think I read iPhones will start doing all of that in-device in the next year or two, which should make it more reliable.

I don't know if Google and Microsoft do it the same way, but they seem to work better than Siri.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Samizdata posted:

It wasn't just you. And I had a modem and a special cable to jack it into the 14.4 cell modem in my old Sprint phone. And there were more Visor goodies on hand too...

The Dataport adapter I mentioned earlier was designed for the Palm I used another adapter to use USB 1.0 for my laptop.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
Having used the most basic of phones since the 80's I can. Honestly say smart phones suck at being phones but are okay as handheld media devices

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Krispy Kareem posted:

That's because the iPhone doesn't decode your speech. It sends your request to a data center in North Carolina and transmits the results back to your phone. I think I read iPhones will start doing all of that in-device in the next year or two, which should make it more reliable.

I don't know if Google and Microsoft do it the same way, but they seem to work better than Siri.
My Lumia is just as poo poo at speech recognition as any other phone.
Even when speaking English, the thing mangles every single thing I ask it to do.
Maybe it will get better once Cortana becomes available here, but I very much doubt it.

I've seen dedicated speech recognition software that works half decently, but the licence costs are insane and it needs significant training time, and even then it will not write anything resembling grammatically correct Dutch.
Also god forbid someone from the next city over tries to use it, because it won't understand a thing if the dialect is slightly different.

Speech recognition is worthless and will remain worthless for at least another decade.

Hell they can't even do half decent text to speech yet, never mind speech to text.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Go Classic...

http://www.trs-80.org/trs-80-voxbox/

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Ye Olde Nokia 33-whatevers had voice call functions. Which usually amounted to randomly calling someone else.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

robodex posted:

I bought the Ein Fall für Zwei theme tune for my Nokia and that's probably the least shameful thing I've ever done :colbert:

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Google Now's voice recognition seems to work okay, not infallible but it's usually pretty close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Deedle posted:

My Lumia is just as poo poo at speech recognition as any other phone.
Even when speaking English, the thing mangles every single thing I ask it to do.
Maybe it will get better once Cortana becomes available here, but I very much doubt it.

I've seen dedicated speech recognition software that works half decently, but the licence costs are insane and it needs significant training time, and even then it will not write anything resembling grammatically correct Dutch.
Also god forbid someone from the next city over tries to use it, because it won't understand a thing if the dialect is slightly different.

Speech recognition is worthless and will remain worthless for at least another decade.

Hell they can't even do half decent text to speech yet, never mind speech to text.

Voice recognition actually works really well if your accent resembles the training data used to program the voice recognition.

So basically, if you're american or can fake it to sound sort of like an american.