Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Shadowhand00 posted:

Yeah, I'm figuring if I can get at least $250 for each of the 970s, that'll easily fund one....... tempting.

I'm trying to drive a 34um95 with this. The SLI 970s are decent at it but I figure the extra VRAM would help.

yes worth it now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My 970 arrived today. I know 3DMark isn't the final word, but the notion that it's 10-15% faster than the 290 is a stretch if you ask me.

Stock 290

Stock 970

That's only a 1.6% difference, basically nothing.

Best I could do overclocking 290 without increasing voltage, 100MHz on core and 0 MHz on memory

Best I could do overclocking 970 without increasing voltage, 200MHz on core and 200 MHz on memory

That's a 5% difference, statistically significant but not really impactful.

At least my e-penis is over 10k, so that's something. :shobon:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 1, 2015

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Josh Lyman posted:

My 970 arrived today. I know 3DMark isn't the final word, but the notion that it's 10-15% faster than the 290 is a stretch if you ask me.

Is your 290 reference? Reference 290s throttle constantly and are significantly slower than ones with custom coolers.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

Is your 290 reference? Reference 290s throttle constantly and are significantly slower than ones with custom coolers.
No, both are Gigabyte WINDFORCE 3X, though the cooler on the 290 is obviously heftier.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Josh Lyman posted:

No, both are Gigabyte WINDFORCE 3X, though the cooler on the 290 is obviously heftier.

A lot of the comparisons at the GTX 970s release were with reference 290s, and a 970 is solidly 20% faster than a reference 290 in a warm room. People buying 290s about 10 months ago benefitted a ton from this, I snagged an MSI "Gaming" 290 for $210 from newegg in that mess.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

For reference, this is as far as I can seem to push my XFX R9 290 DD -- +75mV, 1150 MHz core (+203 MHz), 1375 MHz memory (+125 MHz).

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
So is the repaste a good call or what? I can use my noctua paste, right? it's not going to be radically worse than some Gelid paste?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
There's not a big difference between top-shelf paste and cheap white paste, and a VERY small difference between good quality pastes.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
How's your case airflow? Does removing the side panel cause temperatures to decrease? If so, then you may have a problem with your case fans. Weird that one VRM set would skyrocket.. My MSI 290 doesn't seem to get that hot normally though the cooler is pretty hefty. Repasting might help core temps but VRMs are usually covered with a thermal strip of some kind unless the OEM decided on passive cooling and cheaped out. If that VRM set isn't connected to the cooler directly and it wasn't getting enough airflow that might explain the high VRM temps.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Aug 1, 2015

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I switched out for new fans awhile ago with ~69CFM, one front, one top, one back, and they seemed to slow the temperature rise but not solve it. Removing side panel doesn't seem to change the GPUs temperature.

Just for reference, I have XFX's 290X Double Dissipation Black Edition.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

my MSI 980ti G6 is idling at 59 with its fan on from 5-10% usually.

If you're running Geforce Experience/Shadowplay, disable "Allow desktop capture" so your card can drop the core and mem clocks when idle. This will take your GPU to <40°C. Turn desktop capture back on when you really need it.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Stock 290

Stock 970

That's only a 1.6% difference, basically nothing.

Best I could do overclocking 290 without increasing voltage, 100MHz on core and 0 MHz on memory

Best I could do overclocking 970 without increasing voltage, 200MHz on core and 200 MHz on memory

At least my e-penis is over 10k, so that's something. :shobon:

Why did you replace a 290 with a 970 even if it would have been 15% better?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

mcbexx posted:

If you're running Geforce Experience/Shadowplay, disable "Allow desktop capture" so your card can drop the core and mem clocks when idle. This will take your GPU to <40°C. Turn desktop capture back on when you really need it.

Ive never turned on shadowplay.

e- I figured it out, NVidia needs to have the cards running at a high clock speed if you are running at 144hz, even when you are idling. This causes the card to always be at around 43-45% power consumption even if you aren't using it. Dropping it to 120hz "solves" the issue.

loving hell NVidia get your poo poo together.

e2- Apparently you can use inspector to force a power state on a card regardless of the refresh rate so that could be a good solution to the problem. My idle temps are now where I expected them to be at, around 38C.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Aug 1, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Bleh Maestro posted:

The only reason it'd make sense is if he really wanted a 40w power savings since it didn't seem like he traded in the 290 either :psyduck:

The 970 definitely overclocks better, unless you lose out hard on the lottery

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Bleh Maestro posted:

Who knows, maybe that money was burning a hole in his wallet.

That said, I can think of better uses for $300...

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 1, 2015

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Twerk from Home posted:

Reference 290's don't actually throttle much if ever anymore since AMD released a new fan profile for them shortly after launch. Its the reference 290X that has this issue even after the updated fan profile and its usually 'fixed' by bumping the fan speed 5-10% over the default setting depending on how good your case ventilation is.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I dont really recall anybody saying a 970 is 20% faster than a 290, rather than they were very similar (which was a surprise at the time). The 970's performance caused the 290's to drop down so dramatically in price to keep them competitive, which they still are today.

The only time paste brand matters is with GPU's, but regardless its all better than the stock paste. I got anywhere from ~6-15 degrees with repasting on every single card.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Its the reference 290X that has this issue even after the updated fan profile and its usually 'fixed' by bumping the fan speed 5-10% over the default setting depending on how good your case ventilation is.
The real fix was simply to never buy a reference 290(X). The 290X Sapphire Tri-X I've been running with doesn't go over ~35% fan speed (custom curve) running anything short of Furmark, and holds around 84C, despite bumping voltage a bit to hit north of 1100/1400 clocks.

Which really goes back to how much of a steaming turd AMD's reference cooler was.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Would a hybrid cooler for a 980 work on a 980 Ti? It is a matter of some urgency.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Would a hybrid cooler for a 980 work on a 980 Ti? It is a matter of some urgency.

According to these guys it works just fine.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Subjunctive posted:

As long as its a reference pcb

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OK, thanks. EVGA was briefly in stock of the 980 variant, but the moment passed.

Sixty-Proof
Jul 23, 2007
What is the consensus on the r9 390? Mainly, I want a beast card for gaming. But I am also curious if the 8GB VRAM will help me with multiboxing (running multiple windowed versions of the same game).

I also post-process wedding pictures, and my color is calibrated with AMD Catalyst, so I would have to re-calibrate if the GTX 970 is the better option.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Sixty-Proof posted:

What is the consensus on the r9 390? Mainly, I want a beast card for gaming. But I am also curious if the 8GB VRAM will help me with multiboxing (running multiple windowed versions of the same game).

why would you want to do this

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Generic Monk posted:

why would you want to do this

Populating game servers, grinding in RPGs, raiding in WoW when you have no friends, accumulating more wealth in EVE Online, the list goes on.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
For that (very specific) use case, the 8 gigs of ram *might* actually be worth something? Though I'm pretty sure setting everything to low and buying a decent card instead will get you more bang for your buck.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Truga posted:

For that (very specific) use case, the 8 gigs of ram *might* actually be worth something? Though I'm pretty sure setting everything to low and buying a decent card instead will get you more bang for your buck.
Or two mid-range cards, since I assume he has multiple monitors, and then running them independently. I'd be curious to see how that would compare to SLI/CrossFire.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

You must be running a lot of clients to need 8 gigs of vram for 10+ year old games. Just turn the settings down.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

DrDork posted:

Or two mid-range cards, since I assume he has multiple monitors, and then running them independently. I'd be curious to see how that would compare to SLI/CrossFire.

SLI/CF are a great way to get significantly more GPU power than RAM, which seems to be going the wrong way for his needs.

Truga posted:

They're not that bad, it's not like the 290 suddenly became actively bad. It depends on price.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

xthetenth posted:

SLI/CF are a great way to get significantly more GPU power than RAM, which seems to be going the wrong way for his needs.

Yeah, the question I guess comes down to does 100% GPU + 8GB RAM (r390) vs 150% GPU + 4GB RAM (CF 380's) vs 2x 80% GPU + 4GB RAM (dual 380) work out the best for running multiple instances. I agree that the Crossfire setup is likely the worst, but I'd be curious to know by how much and which of the other two end up coming out on top.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

xthetenth posted:

They're not that bad, it's not like the 290 suddenly became actively bad. It depends on price.

Yeah, what I wanted to say really is, get a 290 or 970 depending on price. 390 is more expensive than the two, and I really don't think the extra 4 gigs is worth that price bump.

e: You can't run multiple instances of a game in crossfire, really, since it only works in fullscreen.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
The reference 290X HSF definitely wasn't good, you shouldn't have to modify fan speeds to get a card to run at its default settings and AMD messed up there, but calling it a steaming turd is a bit much. At least IMO steaming turd is reserved for Xbox RRoD levels of failure.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

OK, thanks. EVGA was briefly in stock of the 980 variant, but the moment passed.
You're still trying to get your drat hybrid coolers?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

The reference 290X HSF definitely wasn't good, you shouldn't have to modify fan speeds to get a card to run at its default settings and AMD messed up there, but calling it a steaming turd is a bit much. At least IMO steaming turd is reserved for Xbox RRoD levels of failure.

That third parties could manufacture basically identical cards with a different HSF assembly, price them at a $20 markup from reference, and turn in temps 20-30C cooler says steaming turd to me. The rest of the card wasn't bad at all, though, especially once the buttcoiners started selling their used ones at hilarious discounts.

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'd wait for the Corsair version

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

:smith:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
What fuckery can I do to make a GTX 770 and a GTX 680 work in SLI together? Are there any driver hacks, or do I have to flash a GTX 770 BIOS to the GTX 680? Can I do anything simple like change a name string in a GTX 680 BIOS?

I have a GTX 680 that overclocks past GTX 770 speeds now and I'm looking into getting a PhysX card for Killing Floor 2. I realized that for the same price as a used GTX 960 I can pick up a faster GTX 770, which made me consider SLI, though I know that isn't possible by default between the 770 and 680.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Diddie posted:

Why?

I did manage to get an order in for the 980 Ti variant today, woo.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
trying to get a gigabyte 980ti g1 version to work. I'm coming from an asus 970 strix that worked with my current monitors just fine. I have 2 monitors, a 24samsung that is dvi-i I think, and a korean 30 that needs a dual link dvi. There are only 2 dvi ports on the cards and no matter what monitor i plug into what port, I can only get the smaller dvi-i connection to work.

I installed all the drivers on the disk and I see the graphics card in my device manager and with msi after burner. Could this be some sort of interference with the gigabyte oc tuner?

Both monitors work fine during boot, but the larger dvi-d stops displaying after the boot screen
I probably have the dvi-d dvi-i dual link terminology all mixed up but I hope someone understands it

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

Diddie posted:

Get the nzxt kraken, it can mount the corsair pumps to any card.