Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hmm

E: this doesn't bode well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

EXAKT Science posted:

well that's not gonna do much good now that you've quoted it, is it?

Dammit, I didn't even think of that.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

haha

this thread is the worst part of high school right now

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
can we do jesterchat instead of this crap? pls?

i'll start. i think jesters are fun to play, but really stupid for everyone else in the game.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Please delete page 109.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

EXAKT Science posted:

can we do jesterchat instead of this crap? pls?

i'll start. i think jesters are fun to play, but really stupid for everyone else in the game.

so in an ideal world, a mafia game would have 11 jesters?

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

merk posted:

Please delete pages 109-110.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

I ran the math and we can't delete Page -1, busb.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
please delete taste

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
and busb

for fun

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
virginity is a concept that only really matters if you are being saved for ritual sacrifice imo

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Ernie. posted:

I ran the math and we can't delete Page -1, busb.

if ctrl numpad minus worked in browser you can believe i would have en dashed that poo poo.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

busb posted:

if ctrl numpad minus worked in browser you can believe i would have en dashed that poo poo.

Well, allow me to solve this problem for you – it's all based on typing alt+0150.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bowmore posted:

virginity is a concept that only really matters if you are being saved for ritual sacrifice imo

untrue, its also some wierd muslim thing

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Tremendous Taste posted:

If you consider inter course to be the only way to have sex, I'd disagree

:hf:

Late to the party (and agree that it should end), but I feel like all of that was a discussion about language more than sex.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

what is in this thread

i dont even know what is happening.

what have you done tt

New Topic: Has anyone ever had an idea for a Mafia role/set-ups but not been sure how to implement it?

I was thinking about a possible cult fix recently, where the "Cult Leader" binds players to him without changing alignment. Instead of switching strategies mid-game, players instead find themselves in a suicide pact with the Cult Leader and need to ensure his survival to survive. The obvious issue is that players are encouraged to rat out their leader on D1 to prevent the leader from becoming too powerful. The only potential fixes I can see are either A.) a post restriction (which is dumb); or, B.) making it so that a Cult victory doesn't cause the town to lose (if we were talking flavor, maybe the Cult Leader can ascend to heaven). People might still be encouraged to confess to remove a potential headache.

Also been thinking about a game based on a succession mechanic, in which all the players are randomized and assigned abilities based on their place in the ensuing list. The person at the top, the King, would act as a more powerful Jack-of-all-Trades, but have their position (and possibly actions) publicly announced in the thread, making them a massive target/focus of attention. Some roles would involve determining where a person sits in the line, or changing the laws of succession.

EDIT: And while I'm here, I've thought a little bit about a game based on Mutually Assured Destruction. All players are X-shot unstoppable dayvigs with a certain delay on their kill. Until the vig reaches its target, other players can engage in actions or choose to retaliate with their own vigs. Overuse of vigs causes nuclear winter, in which all players lose. This number is hidden to prevent players from exploiting the mechanic. I have no idea how to balance such a game.

EDIT 2: There's another set-up that I played around with in an Excel doc that is a "democratic" variant of the King idea above. Instead of being determined by the mod, players elect a "President" and "Prime Minister" on D1 to serve as their leaders. The pair become masons and secretly dole out power roles to the rest of the players. If the "President" or "Prime Minister" ever dies, the surviving player appoints a successor. The biggest problem with this set-up is preventing a scum President from leaking the entire power role list to their teammates without limiting communications.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 1, 2015

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Ernie. posted:

so in an ideal world, a mafia game would have 11 jesters?

Game of nothing but jesters, the kind that end the game if they get lynched. Bill it as World's Shortest Mafia, tell no one why.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

QuoProQuid posted:

what is in this thread

i dont even know what is happening.

what have you done tt

New Topic: Has anyone ever had an idea for a Mafia role/set-up, but not had the opportunity to implement it?

I was thinking about a possible cult fix recently, where the "Cult Leader" binds players to him without changing alignment. Instead of switching strategies mid-game, players instead find themselves in a suicide pact with the Cult Leader and need to ensure his survival to survive. The obvious issue is that players are encouraged to rat out their leader on D1 to prevent the leader from becoming too powerful. The only potential fixes I can see are either A.) a post restriction (which is dumb); or, B.) making it so that a Cult victory doesn't cause the town to lose (if we were talking flavor, maybe the Cult Leader can ascend to heaven). People might still be encouraged to confess to remove a potential headache.

Also been thinking about a game based on a succession mechanic, in which all the players are randomized and assigned abilities based on their place in the ensuing list. The person at the top, the King, would act as a more powerful Jack-of-all-Trades, but have their position publicly announced in the thread, making them a massive target/focus of attention. Some roles would involve determining where a person sits in the line, or changing the laws of succession.

I just ran a game that involved a mechanic I really liked that I think fixed 11 player games, but it got completely ignored.

9 town (with some simple power roles) vs 2 scum who both have a NK. In mine they were a godfather and a ninja to counter the cop and watcher, but I think there are lots of options.

I think this really makes 11 players viable cause right now you either have too few scum or too many.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I made a game with a LP Jester. I was proud of that game.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Game of nothing but jesters, the kind that end the game if they get lynched. Bill it as World's Shortest Mafia, tell no one why.

I did something similar, a game with three jesters, each jester was also the target for 3 executioners. That was the whole game.

E: All jesters would have been figured out too quick, if you're going to do a gimmick you need to twist it enough to stop players from figuring it out.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Ernie. posted:

haha

this thread is the worst part of high school right now

The best/worst part about high school is being a teacher, which often does involve having to overhear those discussions so yeah I agree.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Asiina posted:

I just ran a game that involved a mechanic I really liked that I think fixed 11 player games, but it got completely ignored.

9 town (with some simple power roles) vs 2 scum who both have a NK. In mine they were a godfather and a ninja to counter the cop and watcher, but I think there are lots of options.

I think this really makes 11 players viable cause right now you either have too few scum or too many.

That sounds like an interesting set-up and I would be interested in playing in it. How many days did your game last? Was it well-received by the players after the game ended?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Here's an idea I had. A game with one deadline: the end of the game. After like two weeks or whatever the game ends, but there are no day night deadlines so the players have to actually hammer on their own time.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Also I've been trying to work out this time travel based mafia game with no player elimination but there's some obvious hurdles here.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

QuoProQuid posted:

That sounds like an interesting set-up and I would be interested in playing in it. How many days did your game last? Was it well-received by the players after the game ended?

It lasted until Day 5 which was MYLO, which seemed like a good length.

I think people were confused, but they didn't seem to dislike the mechanic.

I'd definitely run it again as a semi-open setup by revealing the mechanic. I don't think it really hurts the scum team too much by having it out in the open.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

What makes 11 a lot better than 9? I always liked 9 because it is like starting in the middle of the game, and adds some urgency to it.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Here's an idea I had. A game with one deadline: the end of the game. After like two weeks or whatever the game ends, but there are no day night deadlines so the players have to actually hammer on their own time.

I think that's an interesting idea as long as you as a moderator limited night to so many hours so scum couldn't just sit in night without acting to run out the clock.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Also I've been trying to work out this time travel based mafia game with no player elimination but there's some obvious hurdles here.

Yeah, this would be cool. I've always thought a Time Travel based game could be fun if you made it flipless and had a bunch of resurrection and DeathCop roles.

I imagine you could have a lot of fun with roles, giving players the ability to rewind back to a certain day or permanently erase other players from reality.

Obviously a little different from what you are discussing, though!

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I do like this, but I would worry about participation without deadlines and how it might encourage quick bandwagon lynches. It would be worth an experiment.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

DuckHuntDog posted:

What makes 11 a lot better than 9? I always liked 9 because it is like starting in the middle of the game, and adds some urgency to it.

11 typically isn't better than 9. 2 scum is too few and 3 scum is too many.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Asiina posted:

It lasted until Day 5 which was MYLO, which seemed like a good length.

I think people were confused, but they didn't seem to dislike the mechanic.

I'd definitely run it again as a semi-open setup by revealing the mechanic. I don't think it really hurts the scum team too much by having it out in the open.

For the record, I liked the mechanic. It was a nice twist in a small game like that and it was unexpected.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Asiina posted:

I think that's an interesting idea as long as you as a moderator limited night to so many hours so scum couldn't just sit in night without acting to run out the clock.

Yeah I figured night would automatically be set to be a certain length. Possibly every night phase would add that many hours to the end of game deadline. I'm not sure exactly. The point of this idea was to force players to hammer at times other than deadline rushes and to perhaps deal with the resulting late game time crunch, not to worry about lengthy nights.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

DuckHuntDog posted:

I do like this, but I would worry about participation without deadlines and how it might encourage quick bandwagon lynches. It would be worth an experiment.

Yeah I'd definitely play in it.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I'd sign up for it too. Sounds fun.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Asiina posted:

11 typically isn't better than 9. 2 scum is too few and 3 scum is too many.

I think I was just confused about why you brought it up since I always tried to design a game around numbers, but I guess it is just the reality now that you just have to work with what you get, and in that bind how to work around the problem of only 11 players. That and I just really like 9 player games.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

QuoProQuid posted:

Yeah, this would be cool. I've always thought a Time Travel based game could be fun if you made it flipless and had a bunch of resurrection and DeathCop roles.

I imagine you could have a lot of fun with roles, giving players the ability to rewind back to a certain day or permanently erase other players from reality.

Obviously a little different from what you are discussing, though!

I have a couple of time travel game ideas because I think it is a fun mechanic to try to jam into mafia, a game that should not ever have time travel in it.

The main one is something where players can, instead of making an action one night, change the action they made on a previous night, or even set up an action for a future night. At the end of the game all the actions are processed and the end result is described. It's based on JJ's Wizard Battle game that you can probably buy somewhere.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Anyway I guess I'll make a one deadline mafia this weekend when I get home.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

It might be cool to make an experimental game with both the hard game deadline and time travel. Even if it isn't balanced or doesn't quite work right, something like that could be fun.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Lunatic Sledge posted:

yesss another suvatar

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I've done it. there is predictably a huge crunch in the final few days. sometimes they make it sometimes they don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Rip in peace roddy piper