Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

origami posted:

Ronda has mentioned wanting to prolong the beating she puts on Beche but that just might be hype bullshit

I can see where that desire is coming from since only one of her MMA bouts have gone past the 1st round, but I can also see Edmond saying to her "that is stupid, just win." And I think she wants to win more than she wants to prolong the bout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I think even if Ronda goes in there fully intending to artificially prolong the bout she's going to see Beth's arm and turn it inside out. She's said herself that she doesn't do a lot of thinking inside the cage.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

fatherdog posted:

I think even if Ronda goes in there fully intending to artificially prolong the bout she's going to see Beth's arm and turn it inside out. She's said herself that she doesn't do a lot of thinking inside the cage.

Yeah. I'm sure there's a part of Ronda that wants to make Bethe pay for her nasty comments before the fight, and another part of Ronda that wants PPV fans to feel like they got a full fight instead of a 15 second beating... but I also think effortlessly finishing someone in less than a minute is more damaging to the ego than surviving for 24 full minutes. Ronda isn't dumb and won't give up a clear opportunity to remain champion.

I dunno what the odds are but it might be worth it to put a few dollars on Ronda finishing the fight in the first minute or two. Anything pass 3 minutes and either Ronda is purposely dragging it out or Bethe is a way way better opponent than anyone is giving her credit, which seems unlikely.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

origami posted:

Ronda has mentioned wanting to prolong the beating she puts on Beche but that just might be hype bullshit

it is, im certain.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

You guys are nuts if you think she will play around and prolong the fight.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

jabro posted:

You guys are nuts if you think she will play around and prolong the fight.

Didn't she do it when she fought Tate? She wanted a certain arm instead of the one she was given or something

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Didn't she do it when she fought Tate? She wanted a certain arm instead of the one she was given or something

Not at all. She said she didn't think she had the first one and Tate escaped by letting Ronda dislocate her arm. The second time around Ronda had it sunk fully in and Tate couldn't escape.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

I've got a double on Ben Saunders beating Kenny Robertson and Eddie Wineland over Carraway. Like I need extra reasons to cheer against Mr Cupcake.

£25 returns £80 (and I'll get my Chad money back)

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Nah, Tate was just masochistic enough to let Ronda dislocate her elbow and wiggle around her totally hosed up arm instead of tapping.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I just put $30 on TJ so if he loses you can enjoy this thread in 25 minutes

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
Or you can enjoy your win! Congrats!

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

jase1 posted:

Or you can enjoy your win! Congrats!

Thank you! I lost on Wineland and Gian loving Villante (I knew I shouldn't have bet on this) but made it up with Cummings, Tate, and Dillashaw for a positive of $53.35 on the evening.

Now I'm debating putting a good chunk of that on a Big Nog who is an underdog against Struve. I know Nogueira is a rundown cripple man these days but I've thought his boxing has looked pretty good the last few years and Struve doesn't hit quite as hard as Roy Nelson. And the fact that it's in Brazil.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Bubba Smith posted:

Now I'm debating putting a good chunk of that on a Big Nog who is an underdog against Struve. I know Nogueira is a rundown cripple man these days but I've thought his boxing has looked pretty good the last few years and Struve doesn't hit quite as hard as Roy Nelson. And the fact that it's in Brazil.
I don't bet but that seems like a good deal to me. I don't see any reason that even the ghost of Nog should be an underdog to Struve.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Struve does have a KO win over Miocic which is a lot more legit than any of Nog's recent(?) wins.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

TJ is no joke. I haven't really paid attention to him before but that was not only domination over a previous champion but a coming out. He better be headlining PPV from now on.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

jabro posted:

TJ is no joke. I haven't really paid attention to him before but that was not only domination over a previous champion but a coming out. He better be headlining PPV from now on.

It was even more of a domination than the last fight. In the first one he was much more conservative and actually cared about defense. This one he had no respect for anything Barao had at all.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

It was even more of a domination than the last fight. In the first one he was much more conservative and actually cared about defense. This one he had no respect for anything Barao had at all.

Bundt pointed it out in the other thread but TJ took a head kick that I thought was going to at least wobble him but he just kinda jumped in Barao's face right after. Barao had nothing for him and this just confirms that Cruz would have eaten him alive as well.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Am I allowed to have a 2 week late meltdown in here?

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Seltzer posted:

Am I allowed to have a 2 week late meltdown in here?

Please do

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I put some money on Magny, Bigfoot, Feijao, and Big Nog. I don't expect all of them to win but I do feel it's a bit surprising that they were all underdogs given:

- Maia is a tough matchup for Magny but Maia tends to gas pretty often which plays into Magny's strengths of always coming on strong after round 1. I think if Magny can survive getting submitted in the opening round he has a really good shot at winning a decision.

- Bigfoot is shot but I don't think Soa is all that great either.

- Feijao sucks and in theory going up against a grinding wrestler like Cummins after what he just went through with Bader seems like an awful idea. But Feijao can at least hit pretty hard and Durkins brain shut downs pretty quickly when the right shot lands.

- Struve is looking healthy and has probably received some excellent training the last few months, but I just can't bet against Nog in this fight. Other than the Roy Nelson loss I always felt Nogueira has done better than his record would suggest. Struve might stifle Nog from the start and it'll be a sad evening, but otherwise I think Nog has a good chance of getting a TKO finish over Struve.

That being said I would be okay if Struve went undefeated for the rest of his career after he loses to Nog. Struve is an awesome guy.

So yeah UFC 190 seems like a card that Joe Silva put together to have a shitload of quick stoppages and all of the underdogs seem capable to me.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
bigfoot and magny are solid dogs imo for the reasons you listed. there is no way i'll bet on nog to win anything in 2015 against anyone. with that said and with no money on the outcome, i wish him well.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Even looking at the most out-there markets on the Ronda fight, there's nothing at all that seems like it's worth it.

LIKEINEEDTHIS
Oct 3, 2012

by Smythe
I made $190 off a $20 multibet on Caraway-Lawlor-Tate-Dillashaw last week.

So I'm putting my remaining Paypal balance on some fights from UFC190;

$30 on Magny @ 2.42
$30 on Jessica Aguilara @ 4.32
& $23 on a 5 leg multibet of Magny-Aguilara-Stuve-Shogun-Rousey for a potential return of $586 and a likely return of $0.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Huh, Jag seems like waaay too big of an underdog.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I like Palhares at +175 against Shields. Cant be that bad, im a little surprised Shields is such a favorite even though of course Palhares could always poo poo the bed

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Putting 50 on Bethe because I work a lot of overtime and hate money

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

-Atom- posted:

Bold.. I like it

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

-Atom- posted:

You really hate money.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
i hope you win that bet atom

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
what has jake shields done since leaving hte UFC?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Skip My Posts posted:

what has jake shields done since leaving hte UFC?

Choked out Bryan Foster (notable for being one of Matt Brown's few submission wins) and Ryan Ford (notable for having visible breasts, being at one point the champion of an organization owned by a guy who managed him, having convictions for B&E, and still somehow only being the third most embarassing Canadian Ford)

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
drat, let's see how he handles a real violent mongoloid and not some property criminal bitch titted guy

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Palhares eats physically weak grinder wrestler guys like fitch for breakfast and mostly only gets owned by guys that are bigger and stronger than him like lombard or belcher. I havent been following either guy super closely since they left ufc so improbably missing something but palhares as an almost 2 to 1 underdog seems weird

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

another good reason to pick Magny over Maia is Magny trains out of Colorado and Maia looked like a sloggy slow dumpster poo poo mess in his last fight in Brazil

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

manyak posted:

Palhares eats physically weak grinder wrestler guys like fitch for breakfast and mostly only gets owned by guys that are bigger and stronger than him like lombard or belcher. I havent been following either guy super closely since they left ufc so improbably missing something but palhares as an almost 2 to 1 underdog seems weird

I don't think Shields is particularly physically weak, and he's light years better on the ground than Fitch. Palhares has leglocked some very good grapplers but it wouldn't really surprise me if Shields just scrambled all over him for the first couple round or two and then he just gave up

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
IIRC there was a UFC fighter (can't remember who) who said on an AMA that Shields was one of the most weirdly strong people he had ever rolled with. I don't think he's physically weak at all.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

canoshiz posted:

IIRC there was a UFC fighter (can't remember who) who said on an AMA that Shields was one of the most weirdly strong people he had ever rolled with.

This is actually a pretty common thing said of Shields.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Shields has done some grappling things in mma that are kind of insane if unspectacular, but hes also capable of being terrible so I dont know what tot hink of him

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
It's my birthday and I am celebrating in Vegas and I just walked away from a 36 hour poker session up almost 10k so I am taking 1k of those winnings and trying to get lucky as gently caress and decided to make a bet.

1k on correia to get back 11k. Hopefully I am not at my birthday party during the fight otherwise I will miss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biafraid
Jan 31, 2008

yeah.

fatherdog posted:

Choked out Bryan Foster (notable for being one of Matt Brown's few submission wins) and Ryan Ford (notable for having visible breasts, being at one point the champion of an organization owned by a guy who managed him, having convictions for B&E, and still somehow only being the third most embarassing Canadian Ford)

This is all legit but gains more from the fact that Ryan Ford cut off someone's fingers during that B&E, making him as lovely and evil a person as, oh, I dunno, Badr Hari I guess? Only worse? What a sport.

Edit: I bet on both Nogs, enough so that either winning would cover my loss on the other, and I fully expect to kiss that money goodbye come Saturday

Biafraid fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Aug 1, 2015