Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

COOL CORN posted:

When I watched the first episode originally, after Elliot says "is it because all our heroes are counterfeit?", they showed a picture of Lance Armstrong followed by Tom Brady.

When I watched it yesterday with a friend of mine, who I believe had a version from Hulu, they showed a picture of Lance Armstrong followed by Bill Cosby and Mel Gibson.

I'm sure it's just some licensing thing or... something... but, that's really weird.

TELL ME YOU'RE SEEING THIS TOO

When I watched my recorded version it was Armstrong/Cosby/Brady. Maybe its different by market or something? Would be weird, but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
don't have hulu, maybe the NFL called Wolfram & Hart

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

DaveKap posted:

Yeah, I am constantly noticing the amazing camera work on this show. Just check out the Tyrell v Scott scene. Scott's sitting down most of the time while BatemanTyrell tries to talk down to him but the entire time, Scott has a command over the area of the frame.

And although Tyrell starts off with about a quarter of the frame, as soon as Scott admits he knows that Tyrell wanted CTO, Tyrell shrinks to the left of the frame.

Tyrell begins to walk away but Scott pulls out the coup de grâce that he knows about Tyrell sneaking into the bathroom.

He's immediately shrunk down into a tiny, fearful man. His plans failed, he's an embarrassment, and Scott will keep him in the shitter for his stupid stunts. Tyrell's the bad guy of the show yet this frame still makes you feel sorry for him.

Also note the changes in depth of field, I can't get enough of how well done this cinematography is! I look forward to the Every Frame a Painting video that will inevitably go over the first season of this show.

Yeah, I'm a pretty big philistine when it comes to the more artistic nuts and bolts of TV but I noticed this and have noticed the awesome camera work and framing throughout the show.

Also Shayla :( man, she was nice I liked her a lot that was really heartbreaking

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008
Does anywhere show an uncut version? It really takes me out of the show when I hear a censored gently caress.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

DaveKap posted:

Yeah, I am constantly noticing the amazing camera work on this show. Just check out the Tyrell v Scott scene. Scott's sitting down most of the time while BatemanTyrell tries to talk down to him but the entire time, Scott has a command over the area of the frame.

And although Tyrell starts off with about a quarter of the frame, as soon as Scott admits he knows that Tyrell wanted CTO, Tyrell shrinks to the left of the frame.

Tyrell begins to walk away but Scott pulls out the coup de grâce that he knows about Tyrell sneaking into the bathroom.

He's immediately shrunk down into a tiny, fearful man. His plans failed, he's an embarrassment, and Scott will keep him in the shitter for his stupid stunts. Tyrell's the bad guy of the show yet this frame still makes you feel sorry for him.

Also note the changes in depth of field, I can't get enough of how well done this cinematography is! I look forward to the Every Frame a Painting video that will inevitably go over the first season of this show.

Haha, I didn't notice any of that. I felt it, but it didn't really register. That's great.

BlackJosh posted:

Also Shayla :( man, she was nice I liked her a lot that was really heartbreaking

I wanted to see her make bank as a waitress. :smith:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

COOL CORN posted:

When I watched the first episode originally, after Elliot says "is it because all our heroes are counterfeit?", they showed a picture of Lance Armstrong followed by Tom Brady.

When I watched it yesterday with a friend of mine, who I believe had a version from Hulu, they showed a picture of Lance Armstrong followed by Bill Cosby and Mel Gibson.

I'm sure it's just some licensing thing or... something... but, that's really weird.

Speaking of real people showing up in the show, I couldn't wonder if there was some significance of Obama portrait above Elliot and Tyrell during the lunch scene at Steel Mountain.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Poor dog, who's going to watch him now?

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
You know I was surprised that they showed any of the gay scene with Tyrell just because I don't think I've ever seen actual gay sex depicted so graphically on TV outside of like HBO or something. I mean you didn't really see anything but it was very clear and explicit what was going on and that surprised me. Not bad at all, no complaints or anything, just surprising to see so explicitly referenced buttsex.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Man, what is it with Tyrells and gay sex scenes on TV...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

COOL CORN posted:

Man, what is it with Tyrells and gay sex scenes on TV...

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

Speaking of real people showing up in the show, I couldn't wonder if there was some significance of Obama portrait above Elliot and Tyrell during the lunch scene at Steel Mountain.

For me, it evokes a big brother vibe, which I guess makes sense as this show does like having a weird dystopic feel at times, probably ties into the show's whole "system is hosed, tear it down" theme too to have that pic at the bad guy headquarters

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

PunkBoy posted:

As someone who was in the military my first thought was Steel Mountain had some sort of military application.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

The Tom Brady thing is quite a bit more recent than the others, maybe they threw that in there at the last second since this show seems to place a pretty high premium on being up to date and accurate.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

COOL CORN posted:

The original cut definitely flashed Brady and it came across as a wry joke for football carers because of how idiotic "deflategate" is, so if it's been retroactively cut maybe it was a passing fancy, haha.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I don't know I think there have been scenes with Tom Brady interacting with different people so it doesn't really make sense if he's a ghost.

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.

Bioalchemist posted:

Does anywhere show an uncut version? It really takes me out of the show when I hear a censored gently caress.

You know upon rewatching the first episode, the censoring almost created a new "clue" or red herring that fsociety is a construct of Eliott's mind. In the first scene between his psychiatrist and him she kept talking about society over and over and in his head he kept thinking out loud "gently caress society" except with censoring it became "F--- society" audibly and in the captions. I thought this was a neat little coincidence if it wasn't intentional. This scene preceded the one where he goes to fsociety with Mr. Robot for the first time.

Stabitha fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Aug 1, 2015

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Tom Brady only exists in Elliot's head

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kegslayer posted:

I'm more surprised Microsoft chose to advertise on this show.

It's pretty clever. Before anyone can go "haha it's like Microsoft!" Microsoft is there going "oh ho ho! This poo poo is crazy ya'll! That company is messed up! We're so down with this show so clearly we are not like them!"

Not saying they are or aren't. Just that it skews as very hip "edgy" marketing.

Man that stairway scene was so blatantly head-Slater that it has to be a curveball/red herring, right?

violetdragon posted:

Shayla was Elliot's drug dealer.

It's a trope/archetype. He wasn't being literal.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 31, 2015

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Feenix posted:

Man that stairway scene was so blatantly head-Slater that it has to be a curveball/red herring, right?

Mr. Robot IS real but sometimes the one Elliot talks to isn't.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I like this one.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Feenix posted:

It's pretty clever. Before anyone can go "haha it's like Microsoft!" Microsoft is there going "oh ho ho! This poo poo is crazy ya'll! That company is messed up! We're so down with this show so clearly we are not like them!"

It's been a looong while since Microsoft could have been considered a stand-in for Evil Corp (or vice versa, that is). The only people in the audience who still remember them as the evil empire are goons like us.

There's obviously no one company Evil Corp is based on (other than their Enron logo), but if Facebook started running ads during the show I'd love it.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Cpt.Wacky posted:

This.
This makes the most sense. I like this one the most. Let's go with this.
That said, I actually wanted to come in here the next time someone talked about Durden to say "You know what, it's hard to even care anymore because either they'll tell us he is fake and we'll roll our eyes and go "I knew it!" or they'll tell us he's real and we'll go "Huh, I guess I was wrong!" and we'll stop caring because the rest of the show is too good to care."
But the idea that he's sometimes real and sometimes fake is a good middle ground that I'll stick with.

Accretionist posted:

Haha, I didn't notice any of that. I felt it, but it didn't really register. That's great.
Maybe you didn't notice it...but your brain did...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Trabant posted:

It's been a looong while since Microsoft could have been considered a stand-in for Evil Corp (or vice versa, that is). The only people in the audience who still remember them as the evil empire are goons like us.

There's obviously no one company Evil Corp is based on (other than their Enron logo), but if Facebook started running ads during the show I'd love it.

Oh I wasn't saying they were a good stand-in for Evil Corp, just that it's like a big corporate tech company elbowing up to a bunch of hipsters and being like " hey guys big evil corporations suck am I right?!"

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Feenix posted:

Oh I wasn't saying they were a good stand-in for Evil Corp, just that it's like a big corporate tech company elbowing up to a bunch of hipsters and being like " hey guys big evil corporations suck am I right?!"

Well, what non-big corporations even have the money to advertise on cable TV?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Well, Eliot did specifically call out Steve Jobs during the first episode so maybe Microsoft is using that for justification.

Probably not tho. It's just a tech company advertising during a show based on geeks. Makes sense really.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I actually think that'd be the best approach for the show to take. Everyone's assuming it has to be a Durden situation or he has to be real. Go with the middle ground, maybe do a fancy reveal with him talking to Mr. Robot and another Mr. Robot sits down next to him and talks to him, and from then on you can play with ambiguity about which version he's interacting with.

This fills in a lot of gaps as well. When Mr. Robot is trashing stuff at Fsociety following the big break-in at the super secure servers, he could really be doing that, rather than in a Durden situation it actually being Elliot while who we see as "Elliot" is standing silent in the background. When he's showing up at his work and all the other weird times they're interacting in public and he's not acknowledged, that's the Head Robot.

Also, during the break-in maybe both were talking to him. The Real Robot is giving him instructions on where to go and how he has to tear apart that fat tour guide, but the Head Robot is the one who cuts in and says "don't apologize" for instance.

So yeah, I like this theory, at least it's something different.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Question is, who is Elliott going to hook up with next?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Cpt.Wacky posted:

That makes sense, he saw a man with the Mr. Robot jacket and imagined him into the kind of super hacker leader he wants to exist. At the end we meet the actual Christian Slater character who is a taxi driver and knows nothing about computers.

I really hope we get to see Michael Cristofer again, I was delighted to see Truxton Spangler and have him comment on someone's tie. Maybe he's the alpha executive that put Scott into a tiny corner of the frame.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I bet the idiots complaining about the butt sex didn't say poo poo during sons of Anarchy rape scenes because "herp derp guns and motorcycle merica gently caress ya!"

What was the point of the butt sex? Was that a possible cto prospect?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nah it's a classic honey trap android root kit install job... oldest trick in the book

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Rocksicles posted:

Nah it's a classic honey trap android root kit install job... oldest trick in the book

It's a cliche for a reason, it works.

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.

enraged_camel posted:

Question is, who is Elliott going to hook up with next?

Mr Robot. Everyone will forgive the Durden reveal when they show their sexual intercourse scene.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Selachian posted:

It airs at 10 pm here and has a TV-14 rating, so yeah, on you, parent of 11-year-old.

There are times I won't even have the evening news on in the background with our toddler around when I know there is going to be hosed up news.

For instance didn't watch it this whole week because of course they are going to show enough of the video of the cop head shotting someone from point blank, and the story about a cable guy finding a decomposed 5 month old inside some dudes apartment.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Waynebo posted:

Mr Robot. Everyone will forgive the Durden reveal when they show their sexual intercourse scene.

I think he has a better chance with Tyrell, to be honest.

I mean Tyrell practically has a crush on him already, so..

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I'm pretty bored with House Tyrell to be honest, though the wife is hot. I did enjoy the scene with the new boss of EvilCorp though. The way it was shot was just awesome.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Tyrell is the third best character after Elliott and Vera.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Rocksicles posted:

For what purpose? Who was that character and what was his importance besides getting hosed in the rear end?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

For what purpose? Who was that character and what was his importance besides getting hosed in the rear end?

He was the secretary with knowledge of who was being interviewed for the CTO position and the outcome. When Tyrell arrived for his interview with the CEO and the CEO said he needs to postpone, he turned to the secretary and said "book mr tyrell 2 weeks from now" so that's how tyrell got the social engineering idea. He researched him, found out he was gay, figured out where he hangs out, went there and seduced him.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Actually I think Mr. Robot is the real person and Elliot is his son that died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Selachian posted:

It airs at 10 pm here and has a TV-14 rating, so yeah, on you, parent of 11-year-old.

It replays midday Saturday.

• Locked thread