Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Hey Dolores.

What is it, Mitch?

Have you heard about that new Earwolf podcast that came out in April?

Mitch, we are currently being circled by a gang of angry bikers because you bumped into a bike, causing a domino effect. I don't think this is the time nor place to talk about it.

It's called Spontaneanation with Paul F. Tompkins. Each week, the lovely Paul F. Tompkins interviews a variety of people from comedy, movies, television, music, and more. The topic at hand is given in the form of a question that was made up by the previous guest. Afterwards, he and other improvisers will do a sketch based on the information that they are given, and the scene given by the current guest. Best of all, the musician Eban Schletter plays on the piano through the whole thing, adding a delightful ambiance throughout the entire podcast.

That's great, but as you can see, some of these men are swinging chains around and I'm pretty certain that guy's arm has the words "Death To All" tattooed in blood red ink.

That's not all. He also improvises on the ads which are fun to listen to. He does them in the style of his previous episode characters as well as a couple are are always in dangerous situations and the husband talk about a company at a very inappropriate time.

That sounds VAGUELY familiar.

But don't take by word for it, just ask Somethingawful Forums member Waffleopolis all about it!

The what and the who now?

Thanks, Mitch. Ever since I started listening to podcasts, I hoped for a quality podcast done by PFT ever since the life of The Pod F. Tompkast has left this mortal coil. Each epside so far has been a delight to listen to. The interviews are great, and so are the sketches, especially when they go off cast and Paul and the improvisers (especially Paul) lose it and laugh. Spontaneanation, more like the best thing I've ever heard. Thanks, Paul's podcast, for making me less of a hateful human being by virtue of listening. Back you to, Mitch.

Thanks, Waffleopolis. If you're interested on listening to it, it comes out every Monday. You can listen to it on the Earwolf site, Soundcloud, and itunes.

I guess I'll have to give it a listen if we get out of this alive and without chain-related injuries

Waffleopolis fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Lol. Praising a podcast but not linking to it in his OP. what a scrub.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Lol. Praising a podcast but not linking to it in his OP. what a scrub.

Well thanks to the magic of edit buttons on forums, that can be fixed!

Also thanks for pointing that out. :v:

Marketed Gum
Jun 26, 2007

This is a show that should absolutely be better than it is but lately I've found myself doing the Reverse Maron and only listening to the first 20 minutes.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I've found all the interview segments so far to be great, with the ensuing improv ranging from serviceable but dull to literally making me cry laughing in public. For some reason, Matt Gourley hasn't performed very well in any of his appearances, which is unfathomable to me since he's a delight on every other show and this should be him in his element, but alas. It's a show with so much variety to it that everyone seems to love and hate different parts of it. For example, I can't stand the ads at all and I have to skip all of them because they'll ruin the show for me, and I think Paul's meandering pre-interview musings almost always outstay their welcome, but I've also seen people say they love those parts.

If anyone hasn't listened at all or only gave one episode a shot didn't find it to their liking, I'd strongly recommend checking out the interview and improv parts of a few random episodes (particularly any with Chris Tallman as his appearances seem unanimously beloved so far) and see if you don't find something to love, because I'd be surprised if you didn't.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

This latest episode was probably my favorite one. Amanda Lund is absolutely hilarious, and I think she caused PFT to laugh harder than i've ever heard him laugh. When she started saying she was going to draw veiny balls for SCIENCE FAIR, and then tried to stop herself when she realized what she was actually saying, it was probably the funniest thing i've ever heard.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

I love Bojack Horseman but for some reason that interview wasn't that interesting. Needed more child murder.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I will agree that it was the least interesting interview yet, but all the previous interview guests have been performers of some sort, while Raphael is primarily a writer. Paul has a certain rapport with his fellow actors, comedians and musicians, so I expected a different vibe from this one and I'm just glad it turned out pretty good.

I thought it was amusing that Mark McConville used "My wife!" from Borat as an example of something that you'd be embarrassed you taught a parrot to say years later when the host of another show on the same network has only recently realized how embarrassing it is to parrot that catchphrase.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I don't know why but this podcast and the improv just don't do it for me, I love PFT on CBB and other podcasts, but when he runs his own show I'm not so into it. Does anyone know what I mean, does it make sense?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Crankit posted:

I don't know why but this podcast and the improv just don't do it for me, I love PFT on CBB and other podcasts, but when he runs his own show I'm not so into it. Does anyone know what I mean, does it make sense?

I think it does, yeah. It's a show I really can't have on in the background because due to the longer, storytelling aspect of the type of improv they do, I lose track of what they're talking about if I'm cleaning the kitchen or doing laundry or something. I4H is good in podcast form because the segments are shorter. I think I'd really enjoy going to a live Spont. taping, though.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I'm somewhat in the same boat. My favorite kind of PFT improv seems to only come out when he's pushed into it by someone else. On his own show he can't really be 'bossed' around and it ends up being the Improv variant of everyone saying hello, good day and shaking each others hand while having a sensible chuckle.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Hey, I know this thread is probably dead but I was just wondering if anyone can find that Bay City Rollers video that PFT alluded to in the latest episode (#47) where the old lady puts an earhorn up to her head.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Binowru posted:

Hey, I know this thread is probably dead but I was just wondering if anyone can find that Bay City Rollers video that PFT alluded to in the latest episode (#47) where the old lady puts an earhorn up to her head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIlsqkBis3k

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

fuckin :laffo:

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Amazing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Going to see Spontaneanation Live tomorrow as part of the Detroit Improv Festival! I'm pretty psyched!

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Awesome! I think the show has really been doing great over the last few months, sad this thread died, it's definitely started to find it's stride. The performers are all pretty top notch (although idk what it is about Stephanie Courtney, she seems to be able to just suck all the oxygen out of the room)

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The show was amazing and I can't wait to hear it as a podcast!

I also got to see Craig and Carla Cockowski do an improv set (along with other talented but less famous groups) afterward. Great night all around!

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

whydirt posted:

The show was amazing and I can't wait to hear it as a podcast!

I also got to see Craig and Carla Cockowski do an improv set (along with other talented but less famous groups) afterward. Great night all around!

I saw Spont live for the Keegan Michael Key "Prius" episode. Really amazing time; I highly recommend going to see these. If I were in LA it would for sure be a monthly tradition.

I love this show so much, though some of the early episodes definitely had pacing issues. Over time PFT has perfected the length and doesn't allow things to overstay their welcome, but due to the nature of improv there are some clunker episodes even recently. With this many episodes, can't really be helped. But when the cast clicks together... it's something special.

I suppose if anything, I wish some characters would resurface for several episodes instead of everyone being one-and-done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leechboy
Aug 6, 2008
I keep going back to the Knott's Scary Farm and Universal Studios episodes. PFTs "Drawing of a Goat" monologue gets me every time, as does the scene in the Universal security armory.

"OH MY GOD! DOUBLE PIRATE! OH MY GOD! NO PANTS!"

• Locked thread