Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bozart posted:

Where can I find a battery operated water purifier? This run I can't seem to run into one and constant scavenging for drink is getting old.

You can usually find them in elecronics, sporting, and milsurp stores I think.

Failing that, you can craft in batches of 20 with a small fire, which should save you some time making large amounts of clean water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
And eventually you can make your own purifier (which then gets combined into a Foodco kitchen buddy so it runs off a vehicle's battery).

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

And eventually you can make your own purifier (which then gets combined into a Foodco kitchen buddy so it runs off a vehicle's battery).

Water purifier isn't even that hard to craft early on, Mechanics 3 and Electronics 1 are both pretty straightforward to get, and you can get all the components by disassembling a console and a refrigerator for the hose (I'll assume you already have a pile of bottles laying around because you've been scrounging for food).

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I had no idea a Foodco Kitchen Buddy had all that nice stuff (vacuum sealer, purifier, dehydrator and - strangely - a hand press and die set) built in. If I'd known, I'd have concentrated on finding or building one asap - it would mean I wouldn't have to have all of these tools sitting around cluttering up my hoard.

Also - integrated toolset is Gods' own gift to survivors. The amount of poo poo I have been able to avoid carrying around is amazing.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

PiCroft posted:

I had no idea a Foodco Kitchen Buddy had all that nice stuff (vacuum sealer, purifier, dehydrator and - strangely - a hand press and die set) built in. If I'd known, I'd have concentrated on finding or building one asap - it would mean I wouldn't have to have all of these tools sitting around cluttering up my hoard.

Also - integrated toolset is Gods' own gift to survivors. The amount of poo poo I have been able to avoid carrying around is amazing.

I haven't found integrated toolset yet but I'm loving the survivor utility belt for the same reason. As long as I craft near my vehicle, I've got access to a welder too.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Make a welder cart that you can happily drag along behind you and runs off a storage battery. Easily assembled when you drive into town with your proper mobile warbase.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

Make a welder cart that you can happily drag along behind you and runs off a storage battery. Easily assembled when you drive into town with your proper mobile warbase.

I usually end up dragging a storage cart around with a small gas tank welded in so I can siphon as I go, then I just hoof everything back to the car before attempting any kind of crafting. I've got my car laid out so I can get to all of my tools while standing one square outside the car.

Also holy crap, I explored the next town over last night; 3 gun stores, an electric sports car for 2x enhanced electric engines, a military vehicle with two mounted M249s, and a bookstore. Oh and like 5 sporting goods stores(!) that I wasn't able to loot yet because I ran out of cargo space.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'd quite like to add recipes for each of the casings. I'm worried it might be a bit unbalancing, but you can manufacture (as far as I know) all the other components for producing ammuniction with the exception of base metals like lead, silver, bismuth and tin, so I don't see why it should be a problem to produce what is essentially little metal nubs you pour gunpowder into.

Problem is there are about 20 odd different types of ammo and :effort:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

PiCroft posted:

but you can manufacture (as far as I know) all the other components for producing ammuniction with the exception of base metals like lead, silver, bismuth and tin, so I don't see why it should be a problem to produce what is essentially little metal nubs you pour gunpowder into.
Getting tons of gold and silver isn't even that hard if you bust a few jewelry coffers.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I added recipes for all the default casings:

http://pastebin.com/RMLq2CQh

You can paste this at the bottom of the data/json/recipes/recipe_ammo.json. be sure to add the extra comma at the end of the existing list before you paste in this stuff.

I made it so it takes an hour and requires 10 scrap. You'll need an electric forge, a charcoal forge or an acetylene torch (or a vehicle mounted forge). The reason for this is that this produces numbers of casings in default stack sizes, so a single forging will give you like 200 casings which will probably be all you ever need unless you just want to give up ever picking up your casings ever again. In order to change the stack sizes (I'd have liked to make it so a single forge produces stacks of 10) I'd have to dig into how recipe declarations work, if indeed you can actually specify custom stack sizes for individual recipes and as I've said :effort:

If you have suggestions of how to balance it, or just want to suggest tweaks or other stuff you should be able to create feel free to offer them.

e:forgot the most important of all ammo: the shotgun shell:

code:
{
  "type" : "recipe",
  "result": "shot_hull",
  "category": "CC_AMMO",
  "subcategory": "CSC_AMMO_BULLETS",
  "skill_used": "fabrication",
  "skills_required": [ "gun", 1 ],
  "difficulty": 3,
  "time": 60000,
  "reversible": false,
  "autolearn": false,
  "book_learn": [["recipe_bullets" , 2 ] , [ "manual_pistol", 4 ]],
  "tools": [
    [
      ["forge", 50], ["char_forge", 10], ["oxy_torch", 10]
    ]
  ],
  "components": [
    [
      [ "scrap", 10 ]
    ]
  ]
}

PiCroft fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 27, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh man I found a gun store type I hadnt seen before. Glass display windows loaded with loot and in the back, a full reloading workshop with anvils, presses, metals, gunpowder and primers.

Then as I rolled away in my car loaded with loot I hit the back of an APC with a full external diesel tank and blew up everything. :cripes:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The new crash landing start is a pretty great way to get easy points.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And a fuckload of bionics.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
yeah that crash landing one is hilarious. I modded it to include bionic student because

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

PiCroft posted:

e:forgot the most important of all ammo: the shotgun shell:
Shotgun hulls are plastic, only the primers are metal. You could maybe change the recipe to be more *gag* realistic.

You might want to make your changes into a mod too. It's not hard, the code will look identical (check out some of the other mods to see how it's done), and it beats cut and pasting into the game's files every time you update.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 28, 2015

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

tooterfish posted:

Shotgun hulls are plastic, only the primers are metal. You could maybe change the recipe to be more *gag* realistic.

You might want to make your changes into a mod too. It's not hard, the code will look identical (check out some of the other mods to see how it's done), and it beats cut and pasting into the game's files every time you update.

Good spot.

I'll make up a mod file when I get home.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
What about them making gunpowder uncraftable? Will you add a recipe for that in your mod?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I made science-defying targeted genetic mutagen using an egg, household bleach, and a rotting zombie elbow, but for heaven's sake don't ask me to make something complex like gunpowder.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1409531/Ammo_Addons_Anonymous.zip

Implements all the base game's ammo casings for crafting, adds gunpowder as a recipe as well. Recipe for gunpowder is as it was last time I checked (reference here: http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=Gunpowder)

Also changed shotgun hull to plastic chunks instead of scrap metal.

You can find the casings recipes in The Handloaders' Helper and gunpowder in a bunch of books, including Handloaders Helper, chemistry textbook and a few others as well.

Feel free to modify it yourselves, add stuff and redistribute if there's anything you think you particularly want to add or change. Let me know if you find any problems.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Okay so I was reading through the crafting recipes and I came across http://cdda-trunk.estilofusion.com/inhaler_sewergas.

Which one of you put jenkem in the game?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

PiCroft posted:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1409531/Ammo_Addons_Anonymous.zip

Implements all the base game's ammo casings for crafting, adds gunpowder as a recipe as well. Recipe for gunpowder is as it was last time I checked (reference here: http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=Gunpowder)

Also changed shotgun hull to plastic chunks instead of scrap metal.

You can find the casings recipes in The Handloaders' Helper and gunpowder in a bunch of books, including Handloaders Helper, chemistry textbook and a few others as well.

Feel free to modify it yourselves, add stuff and redistribute if there's anything you think you particularly want to add or change. Let me know if you find any problems.
Now i just need someone to mod all the zombies into ghouls and add aggressive humans npc in bdsm/sport gears with vehicles and automatic weapons. Thanks!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

As far as I know, there's no real content in rivers except for the occasional fish. Does anyone want to help delve into figuring out how the hell adding random sites works, and possibly adding lakes to worldgen?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I've really failed to find a use for any on vehicle tools aside from maybe the FOODCO buddy, the more I screw with vehicles. Solar panels not working unless they are in your bubble with no catch up routine means that you really get no benefit from having a cool solar array grabbing you free energy to do stuff with. You're better off making atomic battery mods for the tools you are interested in, feeding them the dozens of plutonium cells you get from screwing around with turrets and robots, and using the space for a cargo carrier. A FOODCO buddy at least unifies a bunch of things to run off one battery, and maybe a mini fridge makes sense failing a buddy in order to keep things fresh. But beyond that, gently caress 'em.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Coolguye posted:

I've really failed to find a use for any on vehicle tools aside from maybe the FOODCO buddy, the more I screw with vehicles. Solar panels not working unless they are in your bubble with no catch up routine means that you really get no benefit from having a cool solar array grabbing you free energy to do stuff with. You're better off making atomic battery mods for the tools you are interested in, feeding them the dozens of plutonium cells you get from screwing around with turrets and robots, and using the space for a cargo carrier. A FOODCO buddy at least unifies a bunch of things to run off one battery, and maybe a mini fridge makes sense failing a buddy in order to keep things fresh. But beyond that, gently caress 'em.

If you cover a vehicle in solar panels like I did with my ambulance, then the short time it spends in your bubble means that you still have a readily available supply of energy at all times. I have never once run into energy problems thanks to my car.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

My last outing with a big vehicle (the wartrukk) not only had 18 solar panels but also a mammoth amount of battery storage, and the goddamn panels still couldn't keep up with a large electric motor with my normal usage, which is the primary reason I would want a big vehicle electrical grid. I mean, yes, I did have a backup V8, and a backup-backup Diesel engine, so it isn't the end of the world by any stretch, but I really end up wondering where my priorities went wrong when I come up from a lab dive with another half dozen useless plutonium cells and noting that my truck has, once again, failed to do anything useful while I was underground. It left me wondering why I engineered such a large vehicle that was such a pain to drive through towns and so on when I had to babysit it so much.

My more recent design is a sort of wartrike where the trike wheels are road roller barrels and I basically have only enough space for 4 cargo carriers and a seat, and that seems to work a ton better.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Aug 1, 2015

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Coolguye posted:

My last outing with a big vehicle (the wartrukk) not only had 18 solar panels but also a mammoth amount of battery storage, and the goddamn panels still couldn't keep up with a large electric motor with my normal usage, which is the primary reason I would want a big vehicle electrical grid. I mean, yes, I did have a backup V8, and a backup-backup Diesel engine, so it isn't the end of the world by any stretch, but I really end up wondering where my priorities went wrong when I come up from a lab dive with another half dozen useless plutonium cells and noting that my truck has, once again, failed to do anything useful while I was underground. It left me wondering why I engineered such a large vehicle that was such a pain to drive through towns and so on when I had to babysit it so much.

My more recent design is a sort of wartrike where the trike wheels are road roller barrels and I basically have only enough space for 4 cargo carriers and a seat, and that seems to work a ton better.

Hmm. That's odd. I have no idea why that would be. I think I have two large electric engines? Or maybe one of them is the super one you pull off of electric sports cars.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I use petrol engines (petrol is not scarce) and the alternators see to my energy needs just fine. If I'm running low on electricity then I just idle a motor overnight.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

I use petrol engines (petrol is not scarce) and the alternators see to my energy needs just fine. If I'm running low on electricity then I just idle a motor overnight.
Same, truck alternators are quite efficient and fuel is easy enough to find.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I'm a lovely Mad Max because I bring my loot home and then jumper my bigass solar array to my deathmobile.

Gasoline only exists as a thing for winter when I can't get a charge off the sun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI2C-O-g15k except hypermiling

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I started turning huge after gargling a cocktail of mutagens I found in a lab. First I got big. The Large. Then Inconveniently big. Then Freakishly huge. The last mutation caused me to burst through all my clothing hulk-style, in the middle of winter.

Except I had no hulk pants.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
No clothes for Hulk! Toga time!

I tend to use electric cars as less travelling vehicles (because maintaining vehicles sucks) and more as self-powering crafting stations, mostly with the various lights, electric forge, chem lab and FOODCO buddy. Hotplate on the chem lab + a pot along with the dehydrator takes care of 99% of all food needs, the purifier in the buddy is just enough to purify a steel jerrycan full of sewer water and the forge makes you luxurious weapons and tools. With an Integrated Toolset and some seeds (I once found wheat seeds in a roving garbage collector) making a safe home base is all but assured and you have all the time in the world to forage for stuff to make yourself more godlike.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

Same, truck alternators are quite efficient and fuel is easy enough to find.

It is totally bogus that alternators can only charge a single attached battery. :(

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Coolguye posted:

It is totally bogus that alternators can only charge a single attached battery. :(
I use swappable storage batteries and i change them when they are full and stockpile the rest. Pretty practical, you only need 2 mechanics to add/remove them from the battery case.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Kinda related, I came up with a clever-ish way to install the correct swappable battery (fully charged vs not) every time without a cart. Put them in two separate cargo containers, each with a door between your crafting square and the storage, and open/close the doors to match which set of batteries you want to install.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 1, 2015

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

bitcoin bastard posted:

Kinda related, I came up with a clever-ish way to install the correct swappable battery (fully charged vs not) every time without a cart. Put them in two separate cargo containers, each with a door between your crafting square and the storage, and open/close the doors to match which set of batteries you want to install.

code:
CD.
.WX
CD.
is enough where C is cargo, D is door, W is welder (or whatever station), and X is you.

Uhh.... does it not let you choose "Which part? (in inventory) or (nearby)" so you can just pick up the one you want to install?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

silentsnack posted:

Uhh.... does it not let you choose "Which part? (in inventory) or (nearby)" so you can just pick up the one you want to install?

It does, but this is actually for my gigantic solar array/battery charger so I'm swapping out like 8 of them at a time.

E: Solar cars give me almost as much wood as a gun store when I pull into town, I think I have a solar panel problem.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I ran across a solar car while exploring. It had an array of 9 upgraded solar panels. :stare:

Half were busted but still!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

silentsnack posted:

Maybe batteries are a special case because of the whole charge thing, but I know it doesn't let me choose between solar panels that have different durability levels.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Maybe batteries are a special case because of the whole charge thing, but I know it doesn't let me choose between solar panels that have different durability levels.

Nah hes saying hold the ones you want to install in your inventory, because it'll let you choose between what you're holding and what's nearby which does work fine until you start dealing with 5+ 50lb batteries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

I ran across a solar car while exploring. It had an array of 9 upgraded solar panels. :stare:

Half were busted but still!

Oh yeah. Maybe I should specify that my ambulance is covered in reinforced upgraded solar panels. Maybe that's why I don't have power issues... Aren't they roughly twice as efficient as normal ones?