Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Zephyrine posted:

But giving each set of boilers their own pipeline is :effort: and takes up enormous amounts of space.

Relative to the 1000 x 1000 tile behemoth factories out there :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Zephyrine posted:

Are explosive cannon shells any good.

I like them. They sometimes killed newly spawned biters before they engage me. But then i automated making them without bothering to ever make any of the normal rounds, so I can't compare. Then I killed a bunch of bases. Then I got my tank run over by a train (but I lived) and haven't made a replacement.

Zephyrine posted:

Has anyone else had trouble with this when using blueprints?

about Every 8th burner for me fails to fuel itself before running out of energy

I experimented with them for boilers, and it seems that they sometimes prioritize filling whatever is next to them rather than filling themselves. The second string I put down completely ran out of energy before any of them self refueled.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Zephyrine posted:

But giving each set of boilers their own pipeline is :effort: and takes up enormous amounts of space.

Its not that bad you just need to rearrange the space your already taken up, remove some of the extra pumps, and then add bunch more pipe to grounds.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Lots of space, but it looks good

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

I always go for a power setup like this: http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8854

or this:

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I feel kinda dumb because I just realized that you can pull coal out of boilers to feed other boilers.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Okay I rebuilt it

it works now. The only odd thing is that a straight pipe of water from an offshore pump to the steam engines will provide max water to all.

But if I add a powered small pump (pointed the right way) then all water after the pump goes down to 0,2-1.7

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I realize fluids exist to add a different logistics dynamic to the game, but there's so much more hidden information than there is with belts and such. I can look at a belt and see if it's filled to capacity, and see where there are slowdowns, see where things are being starved, etc. Fluids don't really have that same kind of visibility, you just keep throwing pumps and pumpjacks at the problems until they hopefully go away.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Zephyrine posted:

Okay I rebuilt it

it works now. The only odd thing is that a straight pipe of water from an offshore pump to the steam engines will provide max water to all.

But if I add a powered small pump (pointed the right way) then all water after the pump goes down to 0,2-1.7

Small pumps only pump ... 30 water per second, I believe? It's less than a plain pipe supports, anyway.

"Plain" pipes update in a cellular automata sort of way, with flow being based on the "% full" difference between adjacent pipes/tanks/boilers/steam engines/whatever. When there is a high differential between pipe segments, water flows faster. This is why longer stretches of pipe slow down.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Shintaro posted:

Small pumps only pump ... 30 water per second, I believe? It's less than a plain pipe supports, anyway.

"Plain" pipes update in a cellular automata sort of way, with flow being based on the "% full" difference between adjacent pipes/tanks/boilers/steam engines/whatever. When there is a high differential between pipe segments, water flows faster. This is why longer stretches of pipe slow down.

I had no idea. Good information. Thanks.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I've never used the inline pipes. Does running them serially or in parallel improve their throughput?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Zephyrine posted:

I don't see the problem

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Fuel from one boiler to another. Oh wow what space I could save on that

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
God. I try to be low pollution but that many steam boilers is just so gooooood.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Krysmphoenix posted:

Why would you try to be low pollution? Just clean out the nests every so often as your pollution expands and no worries! Besides, the goal of this game is to subjugate the planet and eradicate it's inhabitants. After all, why not?

It's funny, I am at least environmentally conscious. I recycle, I try to preserve electricity, I drive an efficient car. Yet somehow this game is total catharsis for me. Oh, you were using this planet for your little natural idyll? Well gently caress you, I'm paving the entire thing under a dense cloud of toxic fog. Oh, you don't like it? Well then I'll just exterminate you.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Overwined posted:

Why would you try to be low pollution? Just clean out the nests every so often as your pollution expands and no worries! Besides, the goal of this game is to subjugate the planet and eradicate it's inhabitants. After all, why not?

It's funny, I am at least environmentally conscious. I recycle, I try to preserve electricity, I drive an efficient car. Yet somehow this game is total catharsis for me. Oh, you were using this planet for your little natural idyll? Well gently caress you, I'm paving the entire thing under a dense cloud of toxic fog. Oh, you don't like it? Well then I'll just exterminate you.

mostly I just hate dealing with random biter attack waves, and I wasn't very good at taking out their bases. Of course now that I've seen how deadly bringing your own gun turret is my opinion has changed completely.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
A personal roboport, a bunch of laser turrets and long distance poles, along with a recipie of the power pole surrounded by 8 turrets, is also an effective weapon against biter bases. I haven't made a single capsule in my current game, just turret creeping.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Why can't I just fit my robots with grenades so that I can direct them to launch carpet bombing attacks against my enemies?

Also serious comment being able to build terminator style robots that you can give attack orders to RTS style would be pretty cool as a lategame resource sink.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Drone_Fragger posted:

Why can't I just fit my robots with grenades so that I can direct them to launch carpet bombing attacks against my enemies?

Also serious comment being able to build terminator style robots that you can give attack orders to RTS style would be pretty cool as a lategame resource sink.

I mentioned earlier that it would be fantastic to have something like this, it's bizarre that the whole theme of the game is automation and you can automate everything else except the destruction of your enemies.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

ToxicFrog posted:

I mentioned earlier that it would be fantastic to have something like this, it's bizarre that the whole theme of the game is automation and you can automate everything else except the destruction of your enemies.

The two things I would love to have in this game would be long range artillery, and some clockwork men a la Rise of Legends:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Foehammer posted:

The two things I would love to have in this game would be long range artillery, and some clockwork men a la Rise of Legends:

Bah, you're not thinking large enough. The next step should be that we build ourselves an ACU...

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

TA/SupComm-style artillery in Factorio would be beautiful. :allears:

And you'd have to keep it fed with a steady supply of energy and projectiles, thus prompting further factory construction and strip-mining of the world.

I wonder how hard it would be to mod in LRPCs...

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

ToxicFrog posted:

TA/SupComm-style artillery in Factorio would be beautiful. :allears:

And you'd have to keep it fed with a steady supply of energy and projectiles, thus prompting further factory construction and strip-mining of the world.

I wonder how hard it would be to mod in LRPCs...

There is a mod for that, I have not gotten to the point where I can build them, but SupremeWarfare give you lots of artillery options.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Krysmphoenix posted:

Have to keep that pollution down.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Zephyrine posted:

Have to keep that pollution down.

Huh, those biter bases appear to have, uh, grown.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
So, I, uh, did a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FImuW53eF7E

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

Huh, those biter bases appear to have, uh, grown.

They do absorb pollution and turn it into growth, you know.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Hagop posted:

There is a mod for that, I have not gotten to the point where I can build them, but SupremeWarfare give you lots of artillery options.

Oh hell yes. An MRPC, an LRPC, and a Buzzsaw? :getin:

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

So is there any pressure on R.R Martin to write faster now that the show has caught up with the books? The momentum of the show is enormous but it's going to lose a lot of it if there's a 3 year gap between seasons.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Zephyrine posted:

So is there any pressure on R.R Martin to write faster now that the show has caught up with the books? The momentum of the show is enormous but it's going to lose a lot of it if there's a 3 year gap between seasons.

I dunno, is he using a bus setup for his factory?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If he's run out of material, he might need to set up more mines.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

fiiiine wrong thread. Lets go back to wishing for artillery and nuclear weapons in Factorio.

What materials would a nuclear warhead be made out of?

Could factorio benefit from a system where research centres could be set to develop rare materials by spending sciene packs on producing rare physical materials that could then be used in production like Uranium or rare minerals for higher tier weapons.

Perhaps the output could be random with a probability modifier and you'd have to sort out the valuable stuff from the junk.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Shintaro posted:

This is correct. There's a way to make long pipes, but... well: http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6066

You need a set of 5 small pumps to "re-pressurize" every 4 blocks to keep it near the max flow. Not exactly compact.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

This game looks interesting but experience has taught me to immediately become suspicious of any game that remains in "alpha" for more than two years. And it doesn't look like it's on Steam either, which means I can't get a refund if I don't like it.

When is the final release? I'm assuming that there will also be a "beta" after this "alpha" so is it safe to say late 2016 or even 2017?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Alpha, beta, release: These are all arbitrary development points idiosyncratically chosen by the developers. A quick peruse through the last 3-5 pages of this thread will tell you exactly how playable this game is.

Overwined fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 2, 2015

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The game is exceptionally playable, replayable, fun and interesting. It's missing a little combat balance and a meaningful endgame, but still has a huge amount of good times in it, especially if you can get a bro to join you.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

This game looks interesting but experience has taught me to immediately become suspicious of any game that remains in "alpha" for more than two years. And it doesn't look like it's on Steam either, which means I can't get a refund if I don't like it.

When is the final release? I'm assuming that there will also be a "beta" after this "alpha" so is it safe to say late 2016 or even 2017?

It has a free demo. It's limited of course, but it gives you the basic mechanic of belts and arms and factories.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Somewhere in the next few minor versions they're putting the game on Steam.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Aurium posted:

It has a free demo. It's limited of course, but it gives you the basic mechanic of belts and arms and factories.

The free demo is analogous to the dealer swinging his trenchcoat open, with small baggies of tar heroin tied off at regular intervals all over the inner lining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

enraged_camel posted:

You kinda sound like a whiny oval office if you're worried about getting a refund on a 16 dollar game and can't be hosed to read the content of the thread wherein people discuss the ample content.

Go buy another AAA game if you care that much.