Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
I'd say this game is worth what you pay for it. If they'd stop development now, I'd not feel ripped off. The plan was for a "Summer 2015" release, I guess that is going to be a bit difficult but there's a clear roadmap (link in OP).

There's been a steady stream of new features and bugfixes despite it being called 'alpha'. The devs feel the game needs to be more complete before they move to Steam Early Access. I think they're being too humble about it, compared to other games on Steam Early Access. If you want to have the option for a refund, you can wait for the game to hit Steam, it seems inevitable.

If you like games where you build and improve logistical systems, such as OpenTTD, this will be right up your alley. Play the demo for a taste.

The OP is getting a bit out of date, especially with regards to graphics, which have changed quite a bit since I wrote it. I should probably update it a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
This game looks kind of like what I liked to do in Starcraft. I was never any good at the actual tactical fighting bit, I just liked making a neat base. Shame it's not on steam.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Nuebot posted:

This game looks kind of like what I liked to do in Starcraft. I was never any good at the actual tactical fighting bit, I just liked making a neat base. Shame it's not on steam.

They're specifically working on it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Won't we all get Steam keys when it does go to Steam? If so, then what's the issue with it not being on Steam? You can add it as a game through Steam anyway if you only play games out of the Steam interface. It has a demo, so there shouldn't be a need for a refund, as previously mentioned.

I will say one thing...the game is very difficult for me, not so much for these other guys in the thread :). I don't think in tight logical circles like some do. However I still work on getting good with the game and maybe one day I'll finally get to trains.

So :getin:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Gibbo posted:

You kinda sound like a whiny oval office if you're worried about getting a refund on a 16 dollar game and can't be hosed to read the content of the thread wherein people discuss the ample content.

Go buy another AAA game if you care that much.

If the game is full of douchebag assholes like you, I will indeed go play another game.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

If the game is full of douchebag assholes like you, I will indeed go play another game.

I don't know whether to make fun of Gibbo for being a hostile dickbag, or you for being such a huge baby about it. Buy the game, it's fun.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

enraged_camel posted:

It totally is, they're the main enemy.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Nasty assholes full of worms.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

The game is fun, it's basically feature-complete except for some minor end-game content, and regardless it's structured in a way that means that you can just sandbox a massive factory that takes 100+ hours to build and still have poo poo to tweak. I'd argue that 100's of hours of entertainment is worth a modest purchase price, but some people want there to be a completed end goal and that's fine. Buy it, or don't.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Breetai posted:

some people want there to be a completed end goal and that's fine. Buy it, or don't.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

"completed"

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm enjoying making my own little Peenemünde, I've got 5 or 6 launch pads all with yellow factories with 4x Speed 3 modules feeding them.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I really hope that the space section of the game allows for Newtonian physics. No more belts! Want to feed iron to a factory? Just shoot it there.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
The rocket thing is still just decorative right?

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uanLGb8Uk0

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

I want to spice things a bit up a little. Is the multiplayer mode stable enough to give it a try?

What are the best mods to enhance singleplayer mode?

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Onkel Hedwig posted:

What are the best mods to enhance singleplayer mode?

I've been having a blast with Bob's Mods - I wouldn't suggest it unless you've played vanilla to death and it's gotten too straightforward to be fun, though. It's pretty much just more of everything, with only a handful of things that seem out of whack with vanilla balance. (The fact that electrolyzing water to oxygen/hydrogen and then turning the hydrogen into solid fuel is energy positive to a ludicrous degree is pretty much the only thing that bugs me.)

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Kenlon posted:

I've been having a blast with Bob's Mods - I wouldn't suggest it unless you've played vanilla to death and it's gotten too straightforward to be fun, though. It's pretty much just more of everything, with only a handful of things that seem out of whack with vanilla balance. (The fact that electrolyzing water to oxygen/hydrogen and then turning the hydrogen into solid fuel is energy positive to a ludicrous degree is pretty much the only thing that bugs me.)

Eh, I'd disagree on Bob's mods. The concept is neat, and the whole idea of expanding the tech tree is sound, but good lord are the production chains atrocious. Rather than having things build off of each other in a logical extension (circuit》advanced circuit》processing unit, or iron》steel), everything is built independently and has too many components. Basic circuit boards are strange, but okay (wood+copper), but the next level up requires three different wood products (board+resin+rubber), four metals, a liquid, and a handful of sub-components that need to be built individually. This, by the way, isn't even the most complicated circuit board.

It just bogs down so much, and the added complexity just makes things more complex; metals are used for no real rhyme or reason other than a tiering system in some cases, and in other cases (like the aforementioned circuits) it gets stuck in the weeds of minutiae for no real reason.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

That doesn't exist anymore.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Finished New Hope 4, and with it, the campaign! :toot:

I know the campaign gets a lot of flak here, but (apart from New Hope 3) I actually quite enjoyed it. It eases you into the various mechanics and gives you definite short-term goals to aim for.

I'm probably going to take a programming break now (or, well, it's more accurate to say that I took a factorio break from programming), but next I'll finally be trying out freeform mode. :ohdear:

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I like the Campaign too, I'm just sad it doesn't go on to show you how to use Logistic Robots and Tanks.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I like the campaign; it serves as a good tutorial to the fundamental mechanics.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I'll own up and admit I did the mission which teaches you how to use trains without using trains because I thought I had to fill my car with the things to go fix the train, rather than end the mission.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Fans posted:

I like the Campaign too, I'm just sad it doesn't go on to show you how to use Logistic Robots and Tanks.

Yeah, it's quite obviously unfinished as it stands, but it's good as far as it goes. And I stepped up my factory construction game some for NH-4.

I'm still tinkering with scalable designs for delivering materials to factories. I tried a sort of parallel bus design this time, with conveyors carrying one (raw materials) or two (constructed items) item type each, and with a one-tile gap between bus lines that could be used to install a bus tap for reading (splitter+inserter+underground conveyor) or writing (UG conveyor) a given bus line. I wasn't terribly happy with it, though, it got really wide really fast and tapping lines on the other side of the bus was a pain because UGCs won't reach that far. It also meant a lot of wastage, since the constructors wouldn't stop until their output line was full.

I'm toying with the idea of a serial bus design, one normal conveyor carrying iron and copper running alongside a fast-conveyor loop. Anything constructed goes onto the fast loop and is taken off again downstream by anything that needs it. The biggest problem is that I think this requires the use of circuits, as otherwise anything that is rapidly produced would eventually completely clog the fast loop.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Has anybody been running into dead biters or biters fighting each other? I found a huge field of dead biters on the limits of my exploring and I didnt kill any of them.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Krataar posted:

Has anybody been running into dead biters or biters fighting each other? I found a huge field of dead biters on the limits of my exploring and I didnt kill any of them.

I couldn't say for sure, but in older versions (0.9 or 0.10 maybe?) sometimes biters would just die places. I think it has to do with a failsafe with pathing or some other biter AI maybe? It was almost never something I encountered with my player, but sometimes when I had a script to display info from the "onentitydied" event I would see notifications of biters just dying randomly.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Invisible ghost trains.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
WHO BITES THE BITERS?

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
I finally found a use for the new logic circuits! Liquid tanks now output their contents to the network and electric pumps can now run based on a condition, like smart inserters. This can be used to balance oil refining as needed:

- if gas is low but medium oil is not low, turn on all medium oil crackers.
- if lube is low and medium oil is full and gas is not full, turn on all medium oil crackers
- if lube is low and gas is full, turn on the gas solid fuel converters (or some other way to lose gas - if you really wanted to you could see what you have least of and make that - sulfur + sulfuric gas or plastic or solid fuel + rocket fuel)
- if gas is low and medium oil is low and lube is not low, turn on the heavy to medium crackers AND the medium to gas crackers.

The way you turn a given chem plant line on and off is to put its source liquid pipe behind 2 pumps: one going in, one going out. Each line gets a signal letter, and each pump is set to to be the inverse of the other for that line. E.g. I have the logic to turn on medium to gas cracking use signal A=1. So the inflow pump to that chem plant is set to turn on when A=1, and the outflow one to A=0. The outflow pipe clears out the whole line pretty quickly - there is very little lag time in the adjustments, it all works very well!

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Mr. Wynand posted:

I finally found a use for the new logic circuits! Liquid tanks now output their contents to the network and electric pumps can now run based on a condition, like smart inserters. This can be used to balance oil refining as needed:

- if gas is low but medium oil is not low, turn on all medium oil crackers.
- if lube is low and medium oil is full and gas is not full, turn on all medium oil crackers
- if lube is low and gas is full, turn on the gas solid fuel converters (or some other way to lose gas - if you really wanted to you could see what you have least of and make that - sulfur + sulfuric gas or plastic or solid fuel + rocket fuel)
- if gas is low and medium oil is low and lube is not low, turn on the heavy to medium crackers AND the medium to gas crackers.

The way you turn a given chem plant line on and off is to put its source liquid pipe behind 2 pumps: one going in, one going out. Each line gets a signal letter, and each pump is set to to be the inverse of the other for that line. E.g. I have the logic to turn on medium to gas cracking use signal A=1. So the inflow pump to that chem plant is set to turn on when A=1, and the outflow one to A=0. The outflow pipe clears out the whole line pretty quickly - there is very little lag time in the adjustments, it all works very well!

I might be missing something, but you can achieve all (or maybe most) of that just with pumps, wires and conditions, no need for the logic circuits (although that is a nifty solution). My standard setup is 4-6 refineries (needs 8-12 oil in a second, which a single pipe can easily provide) running adv oil processing, feeding to:
- 2 heavy oil tanks, which feed a chem plant making lube, that pumps to a single tank (feeds to whatever assemblers you have that need lube)
- 6-8 light oil tanks
- 6-8 petrol tanks.

The tricky bit comes in with the balancing.
- I have a pump leading off the heavy oil tanks to a single chem plant that's cracking heavy->light (and feeding back to the light oil tanks). There's two wires, one to the pump and one to one of the tanks, and if the amount in the tank is over 1k then run the pump. (That gives you 2k heavy oil ready to be converted to lube, and the ability to absorb up to an additional 3k extra heavy oil if needed)
- Depending on if you need solid fuel (either to power boilers or for the rocket silo), you'd either make solid fuel from light oil or crack light->petrol. Since in my current game I have a ridiculous amount of crude oil and barely enough coal to use for plastic (at one point I had to cut down wood to power boilers :/) , I'm powering my steam engines off solid fuel, which I'm making from light oil (6 chem plants for that). I also have 8 chem plants cracking light->petrol, gated behind a pump that only functions if the amount of light oil in a tank is > 2300. (As my solar panel construction picks up my boilers are less needed, which means the light->petrol cracking is more prevalent).
- At one stage I was also using petrol to make solid fuel (because I was running out of light oil). The trick there is to place your chemical plants such that the light-oil->solid-fuel plants are dropping off on to a belt first, and then further down the belt you have the petrol->solid-fuel plants. That way, the petrol plants will only run if they're needed (if the light oil plants can keep the belt full, the petrol plants won't run)

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Using only tank levels as the condition can still get you gunmed up if you suddenly use up more lube the gas - this is what triggered the project actually. I'm also trying to go low pollution so I don't like making solid fuel unless I need to vent some gas.

My end game goal is to have everything "just in time" in massive parallel fashion. Minimal inventory, everything on demand!

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Can someone/is there some video/image guide to how to do that kind of stuff with fluid, I can only get it to work when I don't want it to, or work when I don't want it to. And yes, I have tried to set it up the way I didn't want it to work and it still did the opposite :v:

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Slickdrac posted:

Can someone/is there some video/image guide to how to do that kind of stuff with fluid, I can only get it to work when I don't want it to, or work when I don't want it to. And yes, I have tried to set it up the way I didn't want it to work and it still did the opposite :v:

Conditional stuff you mean or general fluid management?

What's going wrong exactly?

Do you know how the wired logic circuits work in general? (it's not very well documented, the new stuff isn't documented at all actually)

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Fluid management, and logic circuits I suppose since I've not really had much use of them. I have a giant system that cracks all light oil to gas, but doesn't touch heavy, and a separate one for fuel block making. Every once in a while I go and link the heavy oil from the production side to fuel making, but can't get it to do that automatically, and I'd like to setup an alternate valve that checks gas and if it's low, can send heavy oil into a cracking line if it's above a limit.

I tend to put 10 tanks together, so I dunno if it's checking all the fluid, or what fluid in which direction it's tracking.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
If you wanna put stuff in your circuit network, you have to connect every piece to by wire. So if you've got 10 takes, you gotta connect 'em all. Though thankfully you can just string wire from tank to tank to a pole that connects to your inserters/pumps.

Now, the signals. I gotta be honest, the whole "send an advanced circuit signal" or "send a stone signal" is silly. I just use counts.

So in my plant I'm just setting it so it doesn't crack heavy into light oil unless my 2 tanks of lube are full:

So I've got red wire from tank to tank to pole to pump. Heavy oil comes up from the south in that ground pipe. If there is less than 4900 Lube in the Circuit network, then the pump stays off, and all the heavy oil will go into the lube factories. If there is more than 4900 Lube, then the pump will turn on and feed the two Heavy > Light crackers.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
You only need to measure one tank fellas - as long as there are no pumps between the tanks they will level off. Just make sure it's always one tank for all products. That way your full/empty/half/whatever logic can always be out of 2500 units, even if you want to increase your fluid storage capacity.

Slickdrac posted:

Fluid management, and logic circuits I suppose since I've not really had much use of them. I have a giant system that cracks all light oil to gas, but doesn't touch heavy, and a separate one for fuel block making. Every once in a while I go and link the heavy oil from the production side to fuel making, but can't get it to do that automatically, and I'd like to setup an alternate valve that checks gas and if it's low, can send heavy oil into a cracking line if it's above a limit.

I tend to put 10 tanks together, so I dunno if it's checking all the fluid, or what fluid in which direction it's tracking.

Put pumps on the heavy oil pipe that feeds the heavy-light crackers in this configuration:
code:
[chem plants]===>>>====[heavy oil source]
               =<<<=

=: pipe
<<<: electric pump (facing left)
>>>: electric pump (facing right)
Run green (or red) wire from BOTH pumps to ONE gas tank. Set the condition of the left-facing (inflow) pump to "gas < 400" and the right-facing (outflow) pump to "gas > 400".

If you want to do only do this when you have heavy oil to spare you need to get fancy with logic gates.

Run wire (either color) from a gas tank directly (i.e. not through a pole) to the INPUT side of a decider combinator. The input side is sort of sloped - should be reasonably obvious when you place the decider horizontally. Set the INPUT condition of that combinator to "gas < 400" and the OUTPUT to something arbitrary like "A", and a signal of "1" (i.e. not the default of using the input amount).

Run wire (either color) from a heavy oil tank directly to the INPUT side of another decider combinator - set the INPUT condition to "heavy-oil > 2000" (or whatever) and the output also to "A=1", same as the other.

Now place a third combinator which will act as an AND gate between the other two. Connect the OUTPUT of each of the other two combinators to the INPUT of the AND-gate combinator (normally you use green and red wire to keep the inputs separate, but for an AND gate the order of the signals doesn't matter so it's not relevant here). Set the condition of the AND-gate combinator to "A>1" to make it an AND gate (here's how to make other kinds of gates), and set the output to A=1 as with the other two combinators. Now run a cable from the OUTPUT of the AND-gate combinator all the way to your pumps (both of them), via poles. Set <<< pump condition to A=1 and the >>> pump condition to A=0. Tada! Logic!

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
For lubricant I made the system 1 heavy oil tank with a pump to make sure it always received heavy oil before any other machine and then I put the lubricant chemical plants after it.

I never managed to wrap my head around circuits.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I also did another thing:

Doesn't look like much, right? Just two rail stops both loading coal.

EXCEPT

They both have the same name. I'm not entirely sure how it works, but it does. I've watched the train, and they'll stop at the chain signal in the upper right if both stops are occupied, and at that chain signal it will already have a path to a station, but it always picks the path that will be empty first. All my trains wait there for 30 seconds, and I'm not sure if i've just gotten lucky or if it somehow looks to see when a bay will be vacated before it picks it. I also noticed that if, say, an incoming train wants to go to the bottom bay, and I pause the train currently in the bottom bay, and the top train leaves, it will still try and go for the bottom bay. I also only have one signal after the junction until the signal in front of the rail stop, that may or may not be important.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

I think that's been a thing you could do for a while. Another handy use I've seen for that is for a train call button. Drop an unconnected train stop down and call it "Taxi Service" or whatever. Put a train on the tracks and set destination as that unconnected station. Then if you're miles away from where you want to go, you can drop a stop on your rail system, name it Taxi Service, and your train will be along shortly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Just played my mega-save (THE BUS) from about 6 months ago having not played Factorio since then.

Having to go around and re-jig a bunch of conveyers because of the changes to inserters was a massive pain in my rear end, and changes to blueprints because of turret size is also going to be a poo poo.

That said, the personal roboport is amazing, and setting up small outposts and mining operations is going to be an absolute breeze from now on. Have they fixed blueprints so that they can include modules yet?