Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

1.) iOS 8 is kinda slim, so you'll probably have around 10-11GB to work with when all is said and done. iOS 9 will be even smaller. My roommate is like you; she has a 16GB 5C, very little locally-stored music, streams the rest, uses cloud storage for pictures/videos, few apps. She only occasionally has to worry about space. Probably not a huge deal in your use case.

2.) Yes, Google services play well with Apple's stock apps, and most/all Google apps (Gmail, Hangouts, Maps, etc.) are available on iOS. There are a few niggling issues, but nothing major -- the first one that comes to mind is, if you choose to use Mail.app for Gmail, I think the support for Primary/Social/Promotional/Etc tabs is nixed and everything dumps to the inbox. There's probably a way to get around that, but I just use the Gmail app these days for my Gmail account to preserve it across desktop/mobile.

3.) Apple maps isn't bad these days, it just sucked from the get go and they improved upon it. Many people still prefer Google maps. You can download the Google maps app and have it be the default* map app, so there's no issue.

4.) Besides only having 1GB of RAM, no. Compared to Android, I'd say things are a good deal more stable. The worst I've seen in the past few years is the occasional home screen redraw, which takes half a second or less. I can't recall an app crashing or phone hard locking, but surely it could happen.

5.) Battery life is "good" for the non-plus 6 with the screen on. It has a small battery by today's standards, but it's also only pushing a sub-1080p screen. Standby time is great to excellent.

6.) iTunes has probably only improved a little bit since the iPhone 4 days... I was an Android user between the iPhone 3G and the 5S; I hated iTunes with the 3G, and didn't mind it by the time I got a 5S. It's still a big loving honker of a program, but I've actually learned to love it now that I'm not on like, an Athlon II 1.2GHz with 2GB of RAM. My iTunes library lives on my Windows PC, and once I spent a day or so setting it up the way I like it, I've opted to use it as my default music-playing application (to be fair, I was a staunch WinAMP user before that.) It's not as anal as it used to be in the 3G days -- a quick example that comes to mind, you're given the option to manually manage your music files, so it doesn't try and rearrange all of your poo poo on your drive.

7.) To a Windows PC, I dunno, I can't comment. Apple does their own Pushbullet kinda thing, but only to/from Macs. I'd bet the Chrome extension for Pushbullet would allow you to push to the iPhone, but maybe not the other way around.

*actually, I'm not sure about this. I don't often use maps/GPS, so I just looked, and there doesn't seem to be any "use as default" option for Google Maps nor Apple Maps. I feel like if you open an address link from a Google app or search, it'll open in Google Maps if it is installed on your phone. If you were to click an address in, say, a text message using Apple's Messages.app, it will open in Apple Maps.

enojy fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
You can't change default apps, but Google's stuff plays nice with each other. Like Gmail can open links in Chrome, and Maps probably works with those and what not. Some other third party apps offer options to open whatever stuff in Chrome and Maps too..

And if you're in Apple Maps when you hit the route button it gives alternate apps as options, and Google Maps shows up there, along with whatever other navigation apps if you use any. Apple Maps basically works as an intermediary map hub/app launcher in this usage pattern.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
iPhone 6 Plus question. When I use my charger at work, which is not one made by Apple and is only Apple certified, my screen doesn't respond properly. Like if I hit spacebar it will act as if I hit cancel or back. Is it a known issue? It only happens on the one from work and I typed this out while connected at home on my apple charger.

Also, what are the best practices for battery life? What I mean is should I be worried if my phone is charging but at 100%? Should I unplug it or let it stay? Should I periodically allow it to drain all the way and recharge?

Thanks!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Also, what are the best practices for battery life? What I mean is should I be worried if my phone is charging but at 100%? Should I unplug it or let it stay? Should I periodically allow it to drain all the way and recharge?

Short answer: don't worry about it.

Long answer: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Depth of discharge and resting voltage matter. Keep your phone at 50% as much as possible for as long as possible. Don't discharge below 20% or charge above 80%. A battery where these rules have been followed will get significantly more cycles than one that often gets charged 0-100% and hangs out at 100% for the rest of the time.

I do this by charging in the morning and evenings when I'm near a cord. I don't really think that much about it.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 2, 2015

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Molten Llama posted:

Even the "I done hosed up" out of warranty replacement price is less than 70% (less than 50%, in fact, even assuming you have a 16GB) of a new phone.

Hand Apple $299 and you're done.

Keep in mind that the price of a replacement (and availability of replacement services in general) varies from country to country, so if he's outside of the U.S. this may not be true. Here in Taiwan if you get your phone through your carrier, Apple won't even provide service to you, and the carriers here are not nearly as cool or affordable with service as Apple itself is.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Really sick of the 1GB ram limitations on this phone. If I open the browser it's going to close hangouts, even with only a single tab. Apple really screwed over this phone keeping it at 1GB.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
This is why I wait for the S versions. :smug:

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

tuyop posted:

This is why I wait for the S versions. :smug:

I doubt I'll have iOS as my phone OS much longer. I've put up with this idiotic wifi issue that pops up left and right. 8.3 mostly fixed it but then it came back bad with 8.4. Have to jailbreak if I want to fix it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I gently set my iPhone 6 Plus face down on the garage floor today to act as a light as I was working under my car. It's in one of the Apple branded rubberized cases. When i picked it up afterwards I noticed a bad scratch on the white bezel above the screen. Oh well. I guess I deserved that, setting my phone face down on a garage floor. Even though the case sticks out a little bit in the front I guess it wasn't enough. But then I made a phone call about an hour later, and while I was on the phone I heard a crack sound. Looked at the glass and sure enough, a crack appeared perpendicular to the scratch going right through the middle of it. It still manages to avoid the actual screen area. Is the glass so weak that a scratch is going to weaken the glass enough to crack, or is this just a coincidence. Has anyone else experienced any "spontaneous" cracks?

note, the peeling case is unrelated, it just tends to peel on the corners and edges.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 2, 2015

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I doubt I'll have iOS as my phone OS much longer. I've put up with this idiotic wifi issue that pops up left and right. 8.3 mostly fixed it but then it came back bad with 8.4. Have to jailbreak if I want to fix it.

There are some super cool android features that I'd love to have, like Google Now, profile management and wifi threshold settings.

But every time I touch someone's super fancy brand new quad core 16gb RAM monster phone, it feels like a janky pile of garbage that dies in three hours and I just wish there was something on par with the lack of annoyance in daily use that iOS gives me, along with those few features I wish Apple would let me have.

Which Android phone are you eyeing as a candidate for switching?

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I have auto-brightness turned off but every so often my iPhone 6 screen dims anyway. What gives? Usually goes back to normal after a few minutes.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

GutBomb posted:

I gently set my iPhone 6 Plus face down on the garage floor today to act as a light as I was working under my car. It's in one of the Apple branded rubberized cases. When i picked it up afterwards I noticed a bad scratch on the white bezel above the screen. Oh well. I guess I deserved that, setting my phone face down on a garage floor. Even though the case sticks out a little bit in the front I guess it wasn't enough. But then I made a phone call about an hour later, and while I was on the phone I heard a crack sound. Looked at the glass and sure enough, a crack appeared perpendicular to the scratch going right through the middle of it. It still manages to avoid the actual screen area. Is the glass so weak that a scratch is going to weaken the glass enough to crack, or is this just a coincidence. Has anyone else experienced any "spontaneous" cracks?

note, the peeling case is unrelated, it just tends to peel on the corners and edges.

This is really weird. I would talk to Apple. What's your warranty situation?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

This is really weird. I would talk to Apple. What's your warranty situation?

It's a 6+ so it's under warranty.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So...I went and picked up an iPhone 6. I have thoughts and feels on this phone, particularly compared to my previous phone (2013 Moto X):

+ Bluetooth is much more stable; haven't had any issue with my car, Pebble, or portable speaker. Usually have to cycle Bluetooth several times a day.

+ Battery is much better, though that isn't saying much!

+ Apple Pay is awesome.

+ Everything feels significantly smoother and more stable.

+ It's almost embarrassing how noticeably better general app design is for iOS versions over Android versions.

+ First time I've had a lightning/usb-c cable, and why doesn't every phone have something like this?

= The physical design is nice. It really is. I'm not really a big fan of the aluminum when combined with the thin, flat size - it is very slippery!

= Touch ID is pretty rad, but since I wear a smart watch every day, I do think I prefer smart lock for ease of unlocking.

- Navigation is significantly more clunky than on Android. I've never thought I'd miss those stupid soft buttons, but the multi-tasking button and back button are very useful.

- Everything just feels like it takes slightly...longer. Moving between apps, transferring information, and getting from A to B.

- I do not plan on ever switching to OS X, and I really miss being able to easily send texts from my computer.

- Notifications are really poor compared to Android.

Overall, I'm not sure on whether I'm going to stick with it. I'll give it a couple more days, but while it is more stable, smooth, and polished than Android, it doesn't feel as functional.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

IuniusBrutus posted:

= Touch ID is pretty rad, but since I wear a smart watch every day, I do think I prefer smart lock for ease of unlocking.

- Navigation is significantly more clunky than on Android. I've never thought I'd miss those stupid soft buttons, but the multi-tasking button and back button are very useful.
What's smart lock w/the watch do?

Navigation wise, not sure if you already know but to bring up the app switcher you double click the home button at least. There's a back slide gesture from the left edge but that's for navigation within the same app, if you were referring to going back to the last app (uh I think I've read about that before in Android) there's nothing there for now other than the app switcher.

iOS 9 does introduce a "back to [app]" button which should in theory do that thing, but that's not out for at least a few more weeks. So not terribly useful news if you might return it in a few days, but you could try the public beta right now if you're willing to deal with possible beta issues.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

japtor posted:

If you're near your watch your phone stays unlocked.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

uPen posted:

This would just make me even more paranoid about getting my poo poo stolen. Because if someone is going to mug me, they're probably also taking my watch. The entire reason I keep a password on my phone is so thieves can't easily unlock it before I can remotely brick it.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
In my experience spontaneous cracks can be from battery heat, possible if you used light for a long time maybe. Moms iPad just cracked with no trauma at all from battery heat, cracked bottom left though but iPad guts might look different.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

uPen posted:

That's what I figured, but wasn't too sure cause Touch ID is nearly fast enough to basically be unlocked when you press the home button anyway. Sometimes a bit too fast, like when I just want to check the notifications on the lock screen.

Anyway speaking of speed, UI animations on iOS could use some speeding up (not draw speed, just the length/duration), anyone know if iOS 9 tweaks those at all?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

GutBomb posted:

I had a similar looking crack on my 6+ and it was covered under warranty.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

tuyop posted:

There are some super cool android features that I'd love to have, like Google Now, profile management and wifi threshold settings.

But every time I touch someone's super fancy brand new quad core 16gb RAM monster phone, it feels like a janky pile of garbage that dies in three hours and I just wish there was something on par with the lack of annoyance in daily use that iOS gives me, along with those few features I wish Apple would let me have.

I bought the new moto g as a backup and T-Mobile test phone so I'll be messing around with that, but I'll be watching closely for the new nexus. The moto g has lte band 12 so I'm hoping I'll get good enough reception in house to justify switching.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

japtor posted:

Navigation wise, not sure if you already know but to bring up the app switcher you double click the home button at least. There's a back slide gesture from the left edge but that's for navigation within the same app, if you were referring to going back to the last app (uh I think I've read about that before in Android) there's nothing there for now other than the app switcher.

iOS 9 does introduce a "back to [app]" button which should in theory do that thing, but that's not out for at least a few more weeks. So not terribly useful news if you might return it in a few days, but you could try the public beta right now if you're willing to deal with possible beta issues.

Yeah - the back button is nice when bringing up single items in another app, such as when opening a link within gmail: after you are done looking at the link, you hit the back button and it takes you back to gmail/twitter/whatever.

tuyop posted:

Google Now is great, and its really nice having that baked in on an OS level.

And that has been my issue. Android, far from struggling to keep up with iOS in terms of features, is actually surpassing it now, I think, both from a hardware and software perspective. That said, they still have huge issues with stability and consistency, which is not exactly a minor point. I don't know how I feel about this iPhone quite yet, but I do feel significantly better about how functional it is at the basic task of being a smart phone - it doesn't spontaneously reboot, crash, or wake lock and murder the battery.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

japtor posted:

That's what I figured, but wasn't too sure cause Touch ID is nearly fast enough to basically be unlocked when you press the home button anyway. Sometimes a bit too fast, like when I just want to check the notifications on the lock screen.

Anyway speaking of speed, UI animations on iOS could use some speeding up (not draw speed, just the length/duration), anyone know if iOS 9 tweaks those at all?

On my iPhone I use touch ID because it's so reliable and fast. On my s6 the fingerprint sensor is pretty unreliable and unless I'm holding the phone exactly right it can take 2-4 attempts to unlock the phone so I use smartlock to just keep the phone unlocked when it's on me. If it was as reliable as touch ID I would just use that since it's more secure.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

IuniusBrutus posted:

- Everything just feels like it takes slightly...longer. Moving between apps, transferring information, and getting from A to B.

There used to be a jailbreak tweak/setting that would speed up the OS animations by 50-100% which made the phone feel ridiculously fast.

Sarah Problem
Sep 24, 2002

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Witten is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

withak posted:

There used to be a jailbreak tweak/setting that would speed up the OS animations by 50-100% which made the phone feel ridiculously fast.

There still is. It's call NoSlowAnimations

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

IuniusBrutus posted:

Yeah - the back button is nice when bringing up single items in another app, such as when opening a link within gmail: after you are done looking at the link, you hit the back button and it takes you back to gmail/twitter/whatever.

I kinda miss it and I kinda don't. After a short while, you'll get used to "multitasking" via double clicking the home button. It's certainly more work, but negligibly so, unless you consider it "4 times more effort" to double click, move your finger/thumb, and tap the last active app. I don't really miss it though, because I lost count of the number of times I'd push back expecting X and instead get Y.

Another poster mentioned it already, you can swipe from the left or right to emulate a back/forward input in any app worth a poo poo, excluding Google apps for now. I hear Chrome for iOS recently adopted this, and I really hope Gmail does soon.

As for Google Now, iOS 9 is coming out in a couple of months, which is implementing some similar functionality. Spotlight Search will be overhauled, and accessed by swiping from the left on your homescreen a la Google Now (and still downwards on the homescreen if you like that instead.) It will look like this, and that's about all I remember about it:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

~Coxy posted:

If you put a nice message on your phone then you might get it back when a passerby picks it out of a trash can that the thief chucked it into.

There's good money in iPhone replacement parts.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

~Coxy posted:

If you put a nice message on your phone then you might get it back when a passerby picks it out of a trash can that the thief chucked it into.

No way is someone rooting through a trash can going to give your phone back to you.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

withak posted:

Settings > General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion seems to make things feel quite a bit snappier.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I tried my very first Apple device, an iPhone 6, two months ago for a couple of weeks. I was very impressed with general app design, speed optimization, and the fact that the App Store didn't require a VPN to access region-locked apps. Unfortunately, I didn't quite like its functionality for certain applications, nor the stock options for organizing my home screen, so I ended my trial period with my carrier.

Today I picked up a 6th gen iPod Touch and was pleasantly surprised to find very much the same experience. I'm glad it retains much of the phone's hardware capabilities, because it makes an extremely serviceable, rather enjoyable mobile gaming platform even. I don't think I'll ever buy another successor to the 3DS/PSVita by those dinosaur game console makers ever again.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Phone/mobile gaming and handheld console gaming are two different beasts entirely. It's fine to prefer one over the other, but viewing an iOS device as a replacement for a handheld gaming device isn't strictly accurate.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
I don't think I'll ever honestly be able to say android is a better user experience than iOS. The capacitive buttons were annoying as poo poo, especially when playing games, the menus were always clunky, the interfaces were always a mess. I decided on iOS a month ago and am extremely happy. I've never owned an iOS product in all these years and figuring it out has been easy.

Honestly, I don't know what I waited for.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

enojy posted:

As for Google Now, iOS 9 is coming out in a couple of months, which is implementing some similar functionality. Spotlight Search will be overhauled, and accessed by swiping from the left on your homescreen a la Google Now (and still downwards on the homescreen if you like that instead.) It will look like this, and that's about all I remember about it:

I've been using the public beta and it's not even approaching a replacement for Google Now. So far the best thing I've noticed is that it will tell me on the lock screen how much long it will take me to get home and take me straight to Maps. Other than that, what they've shown there is about the best it does. I might need to use it more to train it better.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
How much do prices generally dip once the new phones are announced/released? Debating on picking up a 6 any time now and have been finding a few under $500. I'm assuming $450 for a used one is a great deal right now and even come October?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

$200 below retail when a new one is announced is about right, especially when the new one will be an S model rather than a completely new phone. Maybe another $50 drop if it's a major release.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

jivjov posted:

Phone/mobile gaming and handheld console gaming are two different beasts entirely. It's fine to prefer one over the other, but viewing an iOS device as a replacement for a handheld gaming device isn't strictly accurate.

I might have been jumping the gun, but the post was likely fueled by my dissatisfaction with my own experiences. (The following is really unimportant) From my limited knowledge, handheld console makers seem to have acquired an inherent disadvantage in recent times, due to relatively long development cycles to create new iterations of their own Sony- or Nintendo-branded proprietary platforms/designs. It looks like it's been hard to keep third-party software developers on board to try new things with them, as they tend to flock to where they believe the most money can be made with the fewest restrictions. To illustrate, just imagine a skinny greasy goon sighing at a small collection of sequels or rehashes of game concepts that are attempting to appeal to some sense of nostalgia. I think I might be getting old and my interests are either changing or I'm trying to nurse some newfound subconscious need to explore.

On the other side of the fence, I see that iOS hardware continues to have options for very small and light form factors, and games on its platform are increasingly more immersive with regards to both visual fidelity as well as hardware usage.

Do I sound like some kind of OUYA shill right now? Because now I'm wondering if that's how the whole debacle started.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The thing is that you're right that developers are flocking to mobile because there appears to be money there, but they're all flocking to terrible free-to-play timer games or ad-supported garbage. Yeah, the graphics quality and hardware usage is improving by leaps and bounds on the high end (though not quite as much as you'd think since they end up supporting rather old hardware), but very, very rarely are the games actually any good, and finding the ones that are is difficult. Not to mention that lacking physical controls makes entire genres nowhere near as good as dedicated game machines. Granted, you can buy controllers, but developers can't really target games at these for fairly obvious reasons. To give an example: Infinity Blade 3 looks better than IB1, but it plays pretty fundamentally the same since tapping and swiping are about all you can really manage on a touchscreen.

None of that is to say you can't make good games for iOS or Android, and there's some genres that would work fantastically well, but since there's much more effort and less money to be found in, say, business simulations (I'm thinking of, say, Aerobiz here) or whatever, they're flooded by endless timer "games." XCOM, for instance, worked out well there, as did the Baldur's Gate games, but I bet they don't make as much money as Game of War, so naturally that's what developers are trying to capture.

I don't really think it's a disadvantage for handheld gaming hardware to have a long lifetime because the vast majority of their customers aren't going to be buying a new 3DS or Vita or whatever with the same regularity they replace their phones (let's say around 2 years on average), even if they were available.

There's definitely room to experiment with things more on mobile since it's cheaper to publish, but that's about its only really major advantage.

Ultimately, they're different platforms with different markets, and if you're just finding yourself not interested in what Nintendo and Sony are offering (and the market certainly agrees with on the latter, at least), then that's fine, but saying iOS is superior isn't really correct.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

The thing is that you're right that developers are flocking to mobile because there appears to be money there, but they're all flocking to terrible free-to-play timer games or ad-supported garbage.

This is what annoys me, in terms of the ripple effects of the App Store having driven down the "acceptable" price of software. There's this idea that it has to be cheap just by virtue of being on a phone, regardless of the fact that the App Store has by no means reduced the costs inherent in making software. So now we see publishers burying those excess costs in IAPs.

The design/dev/QA effort in a high quality mobile game simply cannot be not 1/12 - 1/20 of the effort of a console game. Yeah it's probably less, but for a AAA mobile title I can't imagine it's THAT much less. Yet that is is about the spread between what people are willing to pay - $3-$5 on the App Store vs $60 for a PS4 game at GameStop.

So since the publishers still need to somehow make enough money to keep the lights on, we end up with these horrible gameplay models where you have to buy tokens or coins or smurfberries or w/e. Clearly when they design the gameplay and what the "pay gates" are, they have some model as to the average revenue they need to get from a customer before they beat the game or get bored. I wish they could get away with just charging that up-front, and make a game that doesn't suck.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 3, 2015

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
What's probably caused me to start overlooking the fact that developers are going for the quantity-over-quality approach is that depending on the franchise, mobile app makers have adopted the type of marketing that keeps players on one single app, such as with consistent content updates, in-game events (basically special timers), collaboration events, merchandise, and other things not based on sheer play/replay value like console games in their heyday. When a game becomes a social niche rather than something to be appreciated for its own particular features, this happens.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
It's me, I bought an iPod to play a single phone game

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 3, 2015