Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Larry Parrish posted:

Why would you bother forming Bukhara to reform your government when you could just take administrative like you almost definitely will at some point.

You keep Horde Ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Need some advice in my Japan game. I have a colonial empire including the Philippines and colonial nations all over the Pacific, giving me 10 (!) merchants. But even in 1687 my finances are lousy - in particular, why is my trade income so low? Basically I'm funnelling all the trade to Japan that I can, and collecting in a couple other spots where I have some trade power. My ideas are exploration, quality, admin, expansion, and offensive.

Move your capital or trade capital to Malacca and funnel all trade there. That's your best spot at the moment.

(japan is basically a start node, pretty bad place to collect at)

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Another Person posted:

Yes, that is why Call for Peace exists, to stop you exploiting it like that. However, you can't get Call for Peace if you don't have 66% warscore, so if you can keep a war up for that long at 65%, you can still destroy an opponent. Also, letting the rebs have their way maybe isn't optimum play, letting go bankrupt is better. They will be screwed beyond belief.

So how do I bankrupt an enemy then, take as many provinces as possible while never attacking their army and never leaving an army small enough for them to attack?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I just formed Russia in my Muscovy game. This is super fun, though I'm in a precarious position. I've diplo-annexed my vassal buffer states in order to form Russia proper, and now I share a direct border with Nogai, Kazan, Mega-Lithuania (which somehow had been forced to release Pskov?), Sweden, LO, and Crimea. I have been taking swings at Lithuania every chance I've gotten but their military inevitably overwhelms me with doomstacks even with my manpower maxed out. At best I've fought them to a white peace by letting them wear themselves out besieging Moscow and other fortresses in the winter while I sneak behind them and start sacking their provinces until their war exhaustion makes them quit. It's oddly interesting to be fighting what amounts to a partisan war against them, almost like fighting the Ottomans where you never try to engage their army directly. I've been trying to force them to give me Samara for a long time now but their loving allies are so strong that it's almost impossible. They're allied with Denmark, Austria (and by proxy, the rest of the Empire) and loving FRANCE I DON'T EVEN KNOW. I just took my third idea set (Expansion) to start colonizing the steppes, and at some point I'm going to have to tangle with Nogai.

My biggest problem right now is a steady stream of income. I can't support my army at full maintenance without going into debt, even at a relatively modest 52 land force limit.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Need some advice in my Japan game. I have a colonial empire including the Philippines and colonial nations all over the Pacific, giving me 10 (!) merchants. But even in 1687 my finances are lousy - in particular, why is my trade income so low? Basically I'm funnelling all the trade to Japan that I can, and collecting in a couple other spots where I have some trade power. My ideas are exploration, quality, admin, expansion, and offensive.

So since Japan is a starting node, you will never made decent trade income with your main trade port in that node.

Trade increases in value everytime it passes from one node to the next, by forming long 'chains' of nodes where you have continuous trade power (50%+ in each) you can move your main trade port from Japan to somewhere in SE Asia or Indian Ocean and then push it the trade towards it and you will likely be making much much more money after the 1 time cost of 200 dip to move your main port.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RabidWeasel posted:

You keep Horde Ideas.

You keep them for most nations. It says they change but they actually change to horde ideas in most cases.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

HonorableTB posted:

My biggest problem right now is a steady stream of income. I can't support my army at full maintenance without going into debt, even at a relatively modest 52 land force limit.

Yeah you probably should've just left Lithuania alone, they're a huge pain in the rear end to deal with early in the game and I find it easier to just get big enough that they don't want to gently caress with me either.

As for money, colonize Siberia as quickly as you can. Remember, even though most of the provinces will be 1/1/1 they're still all technically colonies so they'll be your culture, your religion, have 0 autonomy because they're not overseas, have a chance to generate high-value trade goods like copper/iron/gold, and will all be in trade nodes that, for the most part, you'll dominate or at least be able to steer towards Novgorod. It may seem counter-productive and slow to just hang out for 50 years and not go to war with anyone while you colonize East, but it's worth it to build a nice steady income which you can then use to fuel massive armies to fight with.

e: Basically my general strategy whenever I play Muscovy->Russia is to blitz as many of your neighbors as you can (usually ignoring Lithuania unless something goofy happens like Poland declaring war on an Austria/Hungary/France power block) early on to get big enough that no one wants to pick a fight with you, then chill out for a bit and grab Siberia while catching up in tech after getting your first three ideas. Then use your new income to build massive armies and do whatever you want. That's kind of the nice thing about Russia and incidentally what makes it a great newbie/tutorial country to play as: you can actually afford to be super passive because you have a lot to gain by just grabbing all that free land next to you while the rest of the world fights each other. It's kind of like how Portugal/Castille/GB can just be played as super isolationist, except Muscovy has the added bonus of being surrounded by weaker neighbors to feed on and grow even bigger.

VDay fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 1, 2015

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

You keep them for most nations. It says they change but they actually change to horde ideas in most cases.

Huh, it definitely didn't always work that way. Oh well thanks for letting me know before I did something high effort for no reason! My new project is going to be forming Arabia as QQ then :v:

E: I'm going to guess that the way it is set up is that it will never change your ideas to the generic ones, so if your tag or culture has an idea group associated with it then you'll get that, otherwise you'll get horde ideas; I haven't tested this, though!

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Aug 1, 2015

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

VDay posted:

Yeah you probably should've just left Lithuania alone, they're a huge pain in the rear end to deal with early in the game and I find it easier to just get big enough that they don't want to gently caress with me either.

As for money, colonize Siberia as quickly as you can. Remember, even though most of the provinces will be 1/1/1 they're still all technically colonies so they'll be your culture, your religion, have 0 autonomy because they're not overseas, have a chance to generate high-value trade goods like copper/iron/gold, and will all be in trade nodes that, for the most part, you'll dominate or at least be able to steer towards Novgorod. It may seem counter-productive and slow to just hang out for 50 years and not go to war with anyone while you colonize East, but it's worth it to build a nice steady income which you can then use to fuel massive armies to fight with.

e: Basically my general strategy whenever I play Muscovy->Russia is to blitz as many of your neighbors as you can (usually ignoring Lithuania unless something goofy happens like Poland declaring war on an Austria/Hungary/France power block) early on to get big enough that no one wants to pick a fight with you, then chill out for a bit and grab Siberia while catching up in tech after getting your first three ideas. Then use your new income to build massive armies and do whatever you want. That's kind of the nice thing about Russia and incidentally what makes it a great newbie/tutorial country to play as: you can actually afford to be super passive because you have a lot to gain by just grabbing all that free land next to you while the rest of the world fights each other. It's kind of like how Portugal/Castille/GB can just be played as super isolationist, except Muscovy has the added bonus of being surrounded by weaker neighbors to feed on and grow even bigger.

Yeah, the only way a Muscovy start goes bad is if you end up fighting a war vs Novgorod + 2 or more hordes and a handful of the baltic minors all at once before you get the chance to gobble up some additional cores and can handle that kind of clusterfuck

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

420 Gank Mid posted:

Yeah, the only way a Muscovy start goes bad is if you end up fighting a war vs Novgorod + 2 or more hordes and a handful of the baltic minors all at once before you get the chance to gobble up some additional cores and can handle that kind of clusterfuck
Or if some complete rear end in a top hat were to add a couple of custom Orthodox hordes all over Perm and eastern Muscovy. :)

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

VDay posted:

Also I think not bumping PA up every chance you get (assuming you can afford the tax penalty) is a pretty big mistake. The bonuses you get for turning it down are nice, but they're temporary and having 2% more missionary strength, -3 unrest, and 33% more manpower in exchange for a cut of your smallest/least important source of income is pretty huge. It may not seem like it when you're bumping it up from 20 to 25 in the early game, but it just makes every game run so much smoother. You have less trouble with unrest (which as Muscovy/Russia is pretty much your biggest concern once you get big enough), you convert quicker for even less unrest/rebellions, and you have enough manpower to keep fighting wars and expanding. That's worth way, way more than the occasional stab bonus or some prestige or MPs.

I accidentally began filling out exploration instead of trade in my Muscovy game so I've just been following some of your advice. I'm not sure on this one though. 50 years into the game, my income is not quite full enough (or production isn't giving me enough) to take that tax income hit and maintain an army at half my force limits while colonizing. In the game I did for the PA achievement, it took about 200 years to go from 0 to 100 PA. It seems like something good to ignore in the beginning and build up later, but the randomness of it prevents that from being a reliable strategy.

e: I say that and now I'm at 65% from 0% in 50 years.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 1, 2015

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Can someone explain how the trade company income works. I understand that I am getting the amounts listed by the 13 colonies as well as English West Indies as tariffs and they show up in my income tab as tariffs. But i don't quite get how i am getting income from these trading companies

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish
Europa Universalis is my favorite game to fall back too whenever I get bored. I have play a shitload of it and most of my games always ended up being way to expended for my own good and become tideous to manage. I was playing a game with Korea and at 1700 I got bored so today im trying to play Scotland and no do any land conquest. My goal is to keep all England separate including Yorke and just own in Trades.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

About to start an Ethiopia game, any advice for the new patch? I tried it the patch before and did alright, just didn't expand fast enough and the Ottomans eventually got bored and stomped me to death.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

MikeC posted:

Can someone explain how the trade company income works. I understand that I am getting the amounts listed by the 13 colonies as well as English West Indies as tariffs and they show up in my income tab as tariffs. But i don't quite get how i am getting income from these trading companies
It isn't actually "income" but rather the amount of trade value they're controlling.

Edit: Or was it the value of the node as a whole? I'm pretty fuzzy about that since I've been playing in Asia for my last few games and it's been a while since I made a trade company.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 1, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

TTBF posted:

I accidentally began filling out exploration instead of trade in my Muscovy game so I've just been following some of your advice. I'm not sure on this one though. 50 years into the game, my income is not quite full enough (or production isn't giving me enough) to take that tax income hit and maintain an army at half my force limits while colonizing. In the game I did for the PA achievement, it took about 200 years to go from 0 to 100 PA. It seems like something good to ignore in the beginning and build up later, but the randomness of it prevents that from being a reliable strategy.

e: I say that and now I'm at 65% from 0% in 50 years.

PA used to be broken in terms of how few chances you got to raise it, but either 1.12 or 1.13 fixed it so now you can actually get enough of them to bump it up to 100 fairly quickly if you want to (and can afford it). Being able to afford it is definitely an obstacle, which is partly why I turtle super hard as Russia after the initial land grab at the start of the game. It's worth keeping PA down for a bit if you're super strapped for cash, especially if you're using that money to colonize. I just wanted to offer my take on PA since the overwhelming consensus I kept seeing on it was to always lower it. There's no real timetable on when you should be hitting 100PA by, and it doesn't really matter since the bonuses scale anyway so sitting at 70PA still helps when your income and armies finally comes online and you want to start taking more Sunni lands.

e: Also as a sidenote, once you hit 100PA you still get PA events, which means that you can still occasionally bump PA down in exchange for things like stab bonuses or prestige or MPs if you find yourself in a situation where you need them.

VDay fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 1, 2015

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

About to start an Ethiopia game, any advice for the new patch? I tried it the patch before and did alright, just didn't expand fast enough and the Ottomans eventually got bored and stomped me to death.

Converting to Sunni is a great move for lots of reasons. Get the gold province ASAP and then go for the gold in Mutapa as soon as you can. The Mamluks can wait if they're strong, nothing to your south or east should be able to stand up to you unless your awesome starting ruler dies young.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Just got this event, lol:

Never seen it before. Is it new?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

RabidWeasel posted:

Converting to Sunni is a great move for lots of reasons.

Counterpoint: take religious, get a casus belli on the entire planet. :colbert:

(Also, pretty sure you need to be Coptic to get the achievement.)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I don't play Ironman cause autosaves but what's the point of playing Ethiopia without being Coptic? :colbert:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So I'm almost done with my MegaOttoman game to get the Over a Thousand! achievement (spoiler alert: 1,001 provinces is a loving shitload to get and I think I'm barely going to make it) and think I'm going to play as Castille/Spain next since I haven't played a colonization-focused nation in forever, and haven't played as Spain in even longer than that. Been reading up about their events/position on the wiki, and have a bunch of random questions:

-What's the best way to get the Spain as Emperor achievement (become emperor of HRE)? I've never actually played as someone in the HRE so I'm only vaguely familiar with their mechanics from reading the wiki page on it. Do I suck up to all the elector princes, or would it be easier to conquer and vassalize them?

-Would it be feasible to get elected as Emperor for the achievement, then let someone else get elected in order to then get the achievement for dismantling the HRE via the capital occupation method? Or should I just not bother with that one or focus on only getting either it or the emperor one?

-Can vassals colonize? More specifically, will Portugal continue to colonize if I force-vassalize them? If yes, how does that work with colonial nations? Vassals can't have subjects, right? Do those nations automatically go under my control and count as mine? Do they just not get formed?

-Which religion should I go with? Protestant seems like an obvious choice for the settler bonus, but I vaguely remember someone mentioning some kind of colonizing bonus for being Catholic but can't find anything about it now.

-If my plan is to form Spain diplomatically after getting the Iberian Wedding event, should I help Aragon swallow up as much territory as possible once they're under me but before I form Spain? Is it like the Poland->Commonwealth event where you just get all of Lithuania's lands without hassle, or is there some trouble involved in flipping to Spain via PU?

Nothing like picking a nation you haven't played as in a while to make you realize you don't actually know poo poo about most of their mechanics :downs:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

I don't play Ironman cause autosaves but what's the point of playing Ethiopia without being Coptic? :colbert:

loving with history and throwing away centuries of tradition is more fun :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
In my Ethiopia superpower game, the (Catholic and Protestant?) Europeans are suddenly and without explanation breaking their alliances and royal marriages with me, in the mid-1600s.

They will then accept alliances and marriages again, which they will then proceed to break.

On the one hand, I'm toying with using this to destroy them with stabhits. On the other hand, I am now extremely nervous about the Turks potentially kicking off a war with me before I'm ready, now that I'm apparently no longer allowed to buddy up with other superpowers. :ohdear:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

VDay posted:

-Can vassals colonize? More specifically, will Portugal continue to colonize if I force-vassalize them? If yes, how does that work with colonial nations? Vassals can't have subjects, right? Do those nations automatically go under my control and count as mine? Do they just not get formed?
Yes, and their colonial nations will belong to them I believe.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
If you annex them you inherit their colonial nations

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

VDay posted:

-Which religion should I go with? Protestant seems like an obvious choice for the settler bonus, but I vaguely remember someone mentioning some kind of colonizing bonus for being Catholic but can't find anything about it now.

Stay Catholic. You'll get a slight settler bonus from the Treaty of Tordesillas, yeah, but the real reason is that one of your national ideas is more papal influence. Take religious ideas for even more papal influence, keep you relations with the papal states maxed out, and cash in on the new papacy modifiers. The -0.1 inflation per year bonus will be especially useful for Spain, who always ends up drowning in American gold.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah, as Spain you automatically get the rights to a good chunk of the New World from the Treaty of Tordesillas.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

VDay posted:

So I'm almost done with my MegaOttoman game to get the Over a Thousand! achievement (spoiler alert: 1,001 provinces is a loving shitload to get and I think I'm barely going to make it) and think I'm going to play as Castille/Spain next since I haven't played a colonization-focused nation in forever, and haven't played as Spain in even longer than that. Been reading up about their events/position on the wiki, and have a bunch of random questions:

-What's the best way to get the Spain as Emperor achievement (become emperor of HRE)? I've never actually played as someone in the HRE so I'm only vaguely familiar with their mechanics from reading the wiki page on it. Do I suck up to all the elector princes, or would it be easier to conquer and vassalize them?

-Would it be feasible to get elected as Emperor for the achievement, then let someone else get elected in order to then get the achievement for dismantling the HRE via the capital occupation method? Or should I just not bother with that one or focus on only getting either it or the emperor one?

-If my plan is to form Spain diplomatically after getting the Iberian Wedding event, should I help Aragon swallow up as much territory as possible once they're under me but before I form Spain? Is it like the Poland->Commonwealth event where you just get all of Lithuania's lands without hassle, or is there some trouble involved in flipping to Spain via PU?

Nothing like picking a nation you haven't played as in a while to make you realize you don't actually know poo poo about most of their mechanics :downs:

I'm not sure on specific Emperor strategies, most likely you want to butter up the electors and help smack around the current emperor so you get elected. Vassalizing them would be tough but doable, I suppose.

Yeah vassalizing Portugal is the Castile start pro-strat, probably restart until you get France or England friendly. France is a nice early ally, Portugal will bring England and/or Aragon which is a tough fight to do without a strong ally on the continent. I recommend releasing Galicia, feed them enough of Portugal's provinces to vassalize, release Galicia, force return of Portugal's cores. That way you don't have to pay for coring. They'll colonize and form their own colonial nations.

I'd just stay Catholic.

As far as I know you just straight up inherit Aragon with the decision, so feeding them a few provinces isn't a bad idea at all.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
How exactly do you create Vassals with your religion? I fully converted all of the provinces that would be handed back and it still forces the religion of the old tag.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

YouTuber posted:

How exactly do you create Vassals with your religion? I fully converted all of the provinces that would be handed back and it still forces the religion of the old tag.

That's a dumb and gay feature that I think has been addressed in the beta patch, but I might be wrong

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Going for Spain is the Emperor can be very easy with great RNG, or a tough slog otherwise.

The easy way. RM/Ally Burgundy, tank Austria's prestige before the Burgundian inheritance fires. Get a core adjacent to Burgundy (probably through France or Provence) if everything goes right you will get the Burgundian inheritance and be in a prime position to vassalize 2-3 electors.

The less RNG way. Gather all the allies you can and crush the poo poo out of France. In the first war take lands that have multiple cores like Guyenne or Armagnac and force release northern nations (Orleans/Normandy/etc.), 2nd war feed you vassals until you have a border with the HRE. Finagle a way into a war with the 2-3 weakest electors and vassalize them.

Just about the only way to end up as emperor as an outside power is through a combination of vassalizing electors and ruining the prestige, economy, and military strength of the current emperor, but restarting for good RNG on Burgundian inheritance is still probably your best bet.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Speaking of the HRE, it has seem to become ever more dysfunctional since the patch that added more IA ticks and free cities, at least in my case. Austria always loses the title, half the time to Bohemia. The Emperor never liberates states nor assigns free cities (except Freisland at the very beginning) so by the time the reformation hits the IA counter is in the negative and nothing ever happens. In the many games I've played since Common Sense I've seen mostly the first two reforms passed, the furthest they've ever gotten was the one that disables internal wars. But there were still too many heretics that kept the IA counter negative.

I don't expect the AI to pass all reforms every game, but it seems to never have a chance now.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
So the first Common Sense game of MP took off today:

Blood was shed, people died, one guy got PU'd by accident, and the scheming continues. Same time next week: have a look in the thread, we can always handle more people.

e: we peaked at 32 today and whilst there was some stablity issues we think they were host-related. Come die in India!

Obliterati fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 2, 2015

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
:lol: Austria died without an heir, and a von Hapsburg ruled France. I as Russia was given the option (how is it decided, anyway? military strength?) to dispute the succession so I did. And won. Since Austria has little shitstain provinces all over Europe, once I integrate Austria I'll be able to Holy War practically everybody. Including France.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Node posted:

:lol: Austria died without an heir, and a von Hapsburg ruled France. I as Russia was given the option (how is it decided, anyway? military strength?) to dispute the succession so I did. And won. Since Austria has little shitstain provinces all over Europe, once I integrate Austria I'll be able to Holy War practically everybody. Including France.

Strongest RM with the most prestige gets the PU, and I think it's highest development neighbor that gets to challenge it.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Playing a game as Russia, and the Protestant Revolution started in Rhodes, with the Knights. :raise:

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Fintilgin posted:

Playing a game as Russia, and the Protestant Revolution started in Rhodes, with the Knights. :raise:

If you were suffering under the rule of a catholic holy order you'd go protestant too.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Whorelord posted:

That's a dumb and gay feature that I think has been addressed in the beta patch, but I might be wrong

The beta has some bugs still, I converted Gal-Voy's 2 cores that I owned to Orthodox but they still came out Catholic. Maybe it's taking into account all of their cores, not just the ones you own? Gal-Voy's remaining Polish and Lithuanian-held cores were still catholic, so that could be it.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
It's based on the majority religion of all cores, not just the ones being released

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Yashichi posted:

It's based on the majority religion of all cores, not just the ones being released

It's still bullshit. If the Ottomans invade Spain to force the release of Granada it should be Muslim regardless.

• Locked thread