Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

ElrondHubbard posted:

We're killing their hunting wolf so they can't track us and retreating. This doesn't prevent future diplomacy, but it does allow us to encounter them under more favorable circumstances, like with our Balls present. We want to negotiate from a position of strength, not ambiguity.

I wish we were, that was my vote, but I believe by "sniping" we mean:

Diogenes posted:

G. Thank you (some god?) for this gift I am about to receive... few times in your life have you encountered such a sniper's delight as this. You have a quiver of twenty of your poor-quality blooded-bronze arrows, hundreds of normal arrows, a bow made by a centuries old master archer and an El of a lot of skill with it. Wait until the wolf leads them much closer to this tree and send them on their way via a series of arrows delivered dead center into their brains!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

The six armored giants move through the forest, a wolf sniffing vigorously as it leads the way. They have no idea that the hero Enkidel lay in waiting far above the ground, over their very heads. You communicate through gestures to Paebel that danger is coming and to be ready for anything, he readies his bow and holds an arrow in one hand and nods.

You draw your bow from your back and clutch six of your Blooded Bronze arrows in one hand in a practiced move which would be ridiculously impractical for a lesser man, yet you are no lesser man. Even though you can make blooded bronze of a poor quality, WHY exactly they are so much better than normal arrows remains a mystery. An arrow made of bronze is far heavier and should have inferior range to a normal arrow, yet it is now so. Capable of going through a man in armor, possibly two or more and delivering frightening penetrating power.

You wait and you watch as the giants draw closer, the wolf sniffs at the ground and pulls at its chain, it has definitely found something, the giants jog along to keep pace.

They are coming straight towards you. They are getting closer...

You place an arrow against the bow string and pull it back. The giants have unchained the wolf, it races ahead of them and the giants are now running. You line up your shot for the giant in the rear...

You release the arrow.

Your arrow soars through the air perfectly, hitting the rearmost giant directly in its temple. The giants great size hardly matters after you scramble its brain with high velocity bronze! In this brief moment of time, the other giants have yet to notice one of their number has perished. Your second arrow is in flight before the giant has even fallen to the ground! It soars towards the second rearmost giant.

And takes the giant through it's left eye. You were aiming for it's temple, drat, but hey, a hit is a hit! You are drawing back the bow on your third arrow now. What happens when a very large man-shaped creature is running forward and suddenly dies? The two dead giants in the rear fall forward and the others turn towards them-

Your third arrow hits its mark, burying itself in the skull of a giant! Two of the giants go to a knee and raise their shields, one of them is still running, faster now, shield raised! You sink an arrow into its calf and the giant screams in pain and tumbles to the ground, another swiftly fired arrows pierces its throat! The giant is not dead, but it is bleeding to death and will be dead in a few moments. As you line up your next shot, the two remaining giants go to a knee and raise their enormous shields to cover themselves. The shields block their heads and most of their upper bodies but parts of their arms and legs are still exposed. The two giants are shouting and yelling! You don't need to know giant-speak to know it probably translates to something along the lines of "We are under attack!" You release another arrow, it sinks into the shield of one of the giants and partially penetrates the shield, yet does not cause any apparent harm to the giant behind it. drat. A yellowish colored smoke seems to be coming out of the corpses of the three dead giants though nothing obvious has changed about their corpses.

The giant wolf is still running, directly towards you. The giants shields are facing you but you can't tell if they have seen you or not, your position is well concealed.

AMETS!

One of the giants yells... a word and you can FEEL it in your bones. The arrow lodged in its shield falls off. One of the remaining giants is armed with a one handed sword, the one who yelled, the other is armed with a quiver of javelins.

The giants are between two hundred and three hundred paces from the base of the tree. The giant wolf is about a hundred and fifty paces away.

1. You...
A. Keep firing! Finish them off! The shields may protect their vitals and most of their bodies, but parts of their limbs are still exposed. Hit them with normal arrows, which you have hundreds of, until you have an opening to take more lethal shots. If they charge, you will very probably easily slay them and if they remain still, you are still confident you can take them.
Ab. Kill the wolf and all but one of the giants, take a giant prisoner for questioning!
B. Kill the wolf, wait and see what the giants do.
C. Climb to the ground and charge them! Engage in hand to hand combat!
D. Glide to the ground on your wings and charge them! Engage in hand to hand combat!
E. Fly INTO the giants! BAM! WHACK! SMASH!
F. Descend to the ground upon your wings, will them to be visible and raising your bow menacingly, demand their surrender!(*)
G. Descend to the ground upon your wings, will them to be visible and throw a few flashy looking fireballs for small amounts of [???] into the air to show you have supernatural powers! Demand their surrender!
H. Wait and see what the giants do.
I. Grab Paebel and flee on your wings while the giants are distracted!
J. Yell "EL! EL! EL! EL! EL!" the giants just watched four of their number go down with no warning, try to scare them further by shouting El's awesome and fearful name!
K. Kill the wolf and then flee on foot with Paebel.
L. Something else. Fill in.

(*)Any option involving trying to make these six two giants your friends or talking to them peacefully is out the window. We had a vote, trying to initiate peaceful contact lost, we won't revote on that. You can still try to cause them to surrender, if you think you can figure out a way to do that.

If you want to, feel free to join us on irc #madgod on synirc.net. The channel tends to always have some people in it and is especially active when updates go up.

If you do not know what IRC is, here is a web based chat version which will not require you to register or download anything: http://chat.mibbit.com/

Diogines fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 2, 2015

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

UppaTree posted:

I wish we were, that was my vote, but I believe by "sniping" we mean:

I minivote that we scream "I am Enkidel, son of Tudiya of Zepath in Ur! I come in peace!" as we fire the first shot.

*edit*

I swear this isn't the first time I've had this happen. A mere second too slow.

A Terrible Person fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 2, 2015

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Enkidel's School of True Language and Power Words

Astound your friends. Learn to throw your voice. Confound your enemies. See the world. Learn exciting new words by practicing diplomatic relations with unknown cultures.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
L: B + Modified A. Kill the wolf, and one giant. Try to avoid killing the other giant (don't worry as much about maiming).

I want to take one of the giants prisoner, for questioning.

edit: VVV I'm flattered. Ab, then.

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 2, 2015

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Vavrek posted:

L: B + Modified A. Kill the wolf, and one giant. Try to avoid killing the other giant (don't worry as much about maiming).

Seems like an obvious option, editing in something like this as Ab:

Ab. Kill the wolf and all but one of the giants, take a giant prisoner for questioning!

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

L Kill the wolf via headshot and use "Mighty Jumping" (flight) to flank them, then back to Sniper God Enkidel.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

B Kill the wolf, then see what the Giants do next.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Hey, guys. Interesting note: These guys have yellow smoke coming out of the dead bodies.

Kinda like how our guys gets blue smoke coming out of their bodies.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

RadicalR posted:

Hey, guys. Interesting note: These guys have yellow smoke coming out of the dead bodies.

Kinda like how our guys gets blue smoke coming out of their bodies.

Yup

Wonder if the lizardmen got it too

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Ab

a cat irl
Feb 13, 2010
Lizardmen get green, duh.

also it's reassuring to know that even the big ones go down to the Murderous Magpie's arrows.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

I really only come here for the Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens CYOA these days.
SA was one of the first websites I ever frequented, waaaaay back in the day. I only got off my ass and got an account about 8 years ago. I bought the platinum upgrade recently.
L. I will the smoke to come to me and I EAT IT!

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
G

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
B

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Whelp. Didn't realize we were going full snipergod on them, but at least our Balls will be happy.

Vavrek posted:

edit: VVV I'm flattered. Ab, then.

This

Taking a prisoner leaves diplomacy and learning more of this land as options.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

DON'T kill the wolf. Kill all but one giant for questioning.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
Ab - all but one.

Kill them all, and learn what we can from the one.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

B

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

Ab We goan capture us a giant.

A note, AMETS is more or less "hard" or "strong". The giant literally used Power Word: Harden on his shield to ward off our arrows. It's strange that they need a Word for that - Tudiya just does it, no indication but a glow visible to our eyes.

The giants know True Speech, and apparently* Power Words are more common among their people, interesting.

*Assuming this is a random giant patrol. As I recall, Words are rather uncommon even among Blooded men.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
B

OrangeOrbit
Apr 27, 2008
Fun Shoe
Ab

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I'd just like to point out in passing, as it were, that the Balls and the Shafts together took a number and casualties and serious wounds to take down four giants. We just wiped out four giants, some of whom may have been Mighty giants, before they're barely even aware of where exactly we are.

We are pretty awesome, and so is our archery, just saying.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Tomn posted:

I'd just like to point out in passing, as it were, that the Balls and the Shafts together took a number and casualties and serious wounds to take down four giants. We just wiped out four giants, some of whom may have been Mighty giants, before they're barely even aware of where exactly we are.

We are pretty awesome, and so is our archery, just saying.

Yeah, I wish the bow got more love as a weapon in our society.

One of these days, we need to go to Seir. We've been saying it since we were 15, but it's still true.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

the_steve posted:

One of these days, we need to go to Seir. We've been saying it since we were 15, but it's still true.

When we get there can we shoot their border patrol too, as a gesture of goodwill?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

the_steve posted:

DON'T kill the wolf. Kill all but one giant for questioning.
We have no practical way to restrain the wolf. It will attack us or leave and bring more giants. It has to die. Ab.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Arkanomen posted:

When we get there can we shoot their border patrol too, as a gesture of goodwill?

Hah

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

A tactical aside: If we intend to try and shoot out the giants, the one with the javelins is presently more dangerous - the Mighty giant might be a potentially bigger threat in a melee fight, but right at the moment we're in more danger of being pegged with a sharpened tree. Take out the javelin dude, and we can finish off the Mighty giant at our leisure, or otherwise try to capture him.

The issue is, however, that they're both being protected by shields that protect their vitals, and if we fire often enough we'll risk giving away our position and giving the javelin giant time for a counterattack. How to counteract that? Potential answer: Kill the wolf, then use telekinesis to rustle branches and such away from us such that it looks like we're moving away, which might hopefully cause the javelin giant to try to take a shot, exposing him to a countershot.

Again, I point this out purely to note the tactical possibilities, not to condone or condemn further violence against the giants.

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009
Dunno if I'll be around when/if giant question time happens, but let's flick our blood in it's eye like Amok did to us, maybe our blood has some natural ability that will let them understand us.

JT Jag posted:

We have no practical way to restrain the wolf. It will attack us or leave and bring more giants. It has to die. Ab.

We could try to shout down the wolf to yield to us, cause we can talk to animals. We could mention we beat down Everfang since he's like the king of wolves. Not necessarily our best or safest option I'm just throwing the idea out there.

Ubern00b
Nov 4, 2009

SKY COQ posted:

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Votecount up to date, Sniping wins (narrowly).

:ughh:

+

Tsyni posted:

This seems so ridiculously dumb.

And by El is it ever, especially post update. Enkidel is like a trainwreck that miraculously hasn't derailed itself despite repeatedly making every effort to.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
A. Kill, then loot.

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

We can still try diplomacy later if we want, provided we leave no witnesses and optionally hide the bodies, though I will note that, once again, we do not speak their language and our only previous contact (30 years back) involved violence.

Even on their best day, they are not going to let an armed and armored warband in to speak to their leader., and we are not going unarmed into unknown territory after That loving Dream, with the knowledge that enemy gods are a thing. So how would you suggest we make with the diplomacy?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Ab but the non-mighty giant.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

On a side note, since Outrail bought it up, I went digging around to see if I could find any of the details of the last encounter with the Balls. Here's what I got:

Diogines posted:

Your Balls journey on. At some point the next day...

PREDATORS! PREDATORS! PACK IS FIGHTING!

What!? What are they fighting!?

TOO-BIGS! TOO-BIGS! MANY!

Giants... your Balls are under attack by giants and more than one. You try to get more information out of Snarls, what is going on!?! The most you can get out of him is....

FIGHTING! PACK IS FIGHTING!

WHAT!? Why didn't you smell them coming!?

SMELL DIFFERENT! BUSY FIGHTING!

When it is finally ended, Snarls gives you a report. He can't count, but you have him look at each of the massive corpses and indicate to you he found another and so you count. Four. Snarls, what happened? Was anyone hurt?

Yes. Dead.

What!? Who?!? Are you alright?

Yes. Stayed away while Pack fought. Pack killed the Too-Bigs.

Four of Danal's Shafts are dead. One of your Blooded Balls is. One of your Common Balls is hurt but is being treated, you think? Giants attacking, together? What the El? They are solitary creatures and rare...

Diogines posted:

And of course... the giants. Your Balls declare they have found the lost kingdom of the giants and their king, Amok. The place is spoken in Ur as a mix of a legend or a myth and one which surely no living man has seen? Well, your Balls have now. Nahari tells you that "These brutes were not mere brutes Enkidel. They were frightening to be behold and as foul to look at as they were tall but they had armor Enkidel, real armor and their weapons were metal as well."

That's all I could find. It's a bit hard to tell, but it seems like the attack happened suddenly - Snarls wasn't chatting about the appearance of the giants and a subsequent breakdown in communications, it was just suddenly "LOTS OF GIANTS ATTACKING AND I DIDN'T SMELL THEM COMING" This doesn't exactly suggest that the giants made much in the way of efforts to be friendly. There's still the possibility of it having been a rapidly escalating situation, but it seems a bit of a long shot.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Aug 2, 2015

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Diogines: Does the yellow smoke remind us of the blue smoke we have seen when humans die around us?

Or is it more like some sort of gas-byproduct from the giants rapidly necrotizing? Or having fallen on their tubes of pressurized Flourine?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Diogines: Does the yellow smoke remind us of the blue smoke we have seen when humans die around us?

Or is it more like some sort of gas-byproduct from the giants rapidly necrotizing? Or having fallen on their tubes of pressurized Flourine?

Maybe they are giant cyborgs.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

B

Arkanomen posted:

Nah, although if you want a diplomacy fix we could always find another demon to kneel in front of

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Aug 2, 2015

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Ab then, sigh.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I say we find where they keep their children, and since they are going to be too big for us to stomp, we can just snipe them all in their brains.

Remember when we could have raised a goblin baby, or talked to a minotaur, or had a pet Roc, or ran away and gotten married to Bareen eventually, or done all the cool things? Do you remember!?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
Ab