Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Whorelord posted:

I would like post rock but I feel like my head is disappearing up my arse when I listen to it

It attracts a lot of pseudo intellectuals. Just don't make out its deep or any better than any other genre. When you feel your rear end swallowing your head air guitar a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

there is no post rock there is only dad rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBRoQ91W1rk

Saw Russian Circles live a few times as they supported Boris tour a few times, they're pretty awesome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2-hJtJrXxc

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
My annoying Northern England coworker just recommended Chubby Brown as a funny comedian

I swear I'm not making this up, this guy actually exists in real life

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

UncleBlazer posted:

It attracts a lot of pseudo intellectuals. Just don't make out its deep or any better than any other genre. When you feel your rear end swallowing your head air guitar a bit.

lol at anyone thinking its deep

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
i never got the name, why is there post rock when rock still very much exists

like post punk, post grunge, and (ick) post dubstep are things

also why is rock "after" rock so twee and airy fairy

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

it is rock that is good to post to and maybe even post about

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
man who post rock send ground mail

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Whorelord posted:

I would like post rock but I feel like my head is disappearing up my arse when I listen to it

If you enjoy it who cares, there are utter nasal gazers but theres always some fart sniffers like that in most genres.

HJB posted:

like post punk, post grunge, and (ick) post dubstep are things

also why is rock "after" rock so twee and airy fairy

quote:

Post-rock is a subgenre of rock music characterized by the influence and use of instruments commonly associated with rock, but using rhythms and "guitars as facilitators of timbre and textures" not traditionally found in rock. Post-rock bands are often without vocals.

I'd say it's 50/50 on the twee and airy fairy stuff, but that's more on the sigur ros end of post-rock and those types of bands.

But theres some great heavier post rock bands. Russian Circles, God Speed You! Black Emperor, Swans, World's End Girlfriend (thought World's End Girlfriend has done some airy albums), Turing Machine, Mono, Pelican, Neurosis, OOIOO, Slint, Mogwai and alot of other bands I love.

Edit:
I think you can normally tell the difference between the airy twee stuff and the non airy twee stuff before you heard them play. Let's test it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5hBkQT3-C8
vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jSdTBGhDSg

Fluo fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Aug 2, 2015

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

HJB posted:

the idea is that rock is very much its own definition, and post-rock (well, post anything - post modernism etc) is aware of the definition of rock and consciously seeks to deconstruct and transcend said thing. so post-rock is not failing to be rock because it doesn't know how, nor is it saying 'rock is dead,' its saying 'we are aware of rock, we could do it if we wanted, but we are using the framework of rock to break free from the definition.'

imagine a hipster fawning about how his band has 'moved past typical rock' and you have got it

source: three loving years of listening to arty fuckers talk about this poo poo like its the most profound revelation ever

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Aug 2, 2015

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

the idea is that rock is very much its own definition, and post-rock (well, post anything - post modernism etc) is aware of the definition of a rock and consciously seeks to deconstruct and transcend said thing. so post-rock is not saying 'rock is dead,' its saying 'we are using the framework of rock to break free from it.'

source: three loving years of listening to arty fuckers talk about this poo poo like its the most profound revelation ever

Wait till they discover Merzbow and John Cage hahahahahahaha

Fluo fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Aug 2, 2015

Fluo
May 25, 2007

If I have to hear one more person talk about how they had some mindblowing internal monologue from their experience of how ~*deep*~ 4'33" is god loving drat it

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Fluo posted:

Wait till they discover Merzbow and John Cage hahahahahahaha
i meant 'post' as any kind of categorisation, mostly how astonished first years are when they finally crack the definition of post modernism.

its like well loving done, now go apply it to every single thing you do for the rest of your sodding education.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

i meant 'post' as any kind of categorisation, mostly how astonished first years are when they finally crack the definition of post modernism.

its like well loving done, now go apply it to every single thing you do for the rest of your sodding education.

:negative:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Aug 2, 2015

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol if you don't listen exclusively to classical British composers while sipping tea

Elgar/Darjeeling 4 lyfe

on another note why is Ceylon tea so good

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
ceylon tea? :awesomelon:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

I always saw you as more of a lapsang souchong kind of guy

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
every tea but this tea:

is tea for guardian reading, sandal wearing wally woofters imo

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Fluo posted:

I always saw you as more of a lapsang souchong kind of guy

I like it in blends but idk if I could drink a whole pot on its own. I have bought a bunch though so I guess I will find out

Fluo
May 25, 2007

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

I like it in blends but idk if I could drink a whole pot on its own. I have bought a bunch though so I guess I will find out

Is there a decent tea website in UK yet, like hasbean is for coffee. I tend to have to order from a few sites to get my the stuff I'm after half the time

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

you should have a brew called post beer and its just tapwater that you have to drink alongside a flavour tablet and a saline drip filled with alcohol 'in the right social setting.'

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Fluo posted:

Is there a decent tea website in UK yet, like hasbean is for coffee. I tend to have to order from a few sites to get my the stuff I'm after half the time

Get huge boxes of jasmine tea from the Chinese supermarket for 60p IMO.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Fluo posted:

If I have to hear one more person talk about how they had some mindblowing internal monologue from their experience of how ~*deep*~ 4'33" is god loving drat it

I'm lucky to have never encountered anyone who thought it was anything more than a bad loving joke.

Haaahaaa you think he's going to play but he just sits there. Wankers.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Fluo posted:

I dunno i asked about this in the last thread and got a load of good individual sites but no one-stop-shop

I buy from the golden monkey tea company and basically spend what I would spend on teabags on leaf instead

E: also seconding 'buy huge boxes of stuff from ethnic supermarkets for pennies' as an idea

Fluo
May 25, 2007

DrWrestling69 posted:

Get huge boxes of jasmine tea from the Chinese supermarket for 60p IMO.

Its kind of like comparing a instant bog standard coffee to from freshly roasted freshly ground espresso

I have my bog standard everyday tea in bulk from supermarket but when having important guests round it I normally have something more special like silver yin zhen pearls (a white tea), flowering tea once in a blue moon when having a date at home and doing the cooking etc.

Pu-erh can be hit and miss, whittard is only place I found that has a half decent pu-erh.

What I'm trying to say is they tend to be the opposite to everyday cheap teas where you drink 10 a day but I haveb3 or 4 important days with regard to guests a month. Be it business or social.

Just no single one stop shop good site :(

Works great for for everyday though with regard to the cheap asian shop tea by the kg

Fluo fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 2, 2015

Fluo
May 25, 2007

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

I dunno i asked about this in the last thread and got a load of good individual sites but no one-stop-shop

I buy from the golden monkey tea company and basically spend what I would spend on teabags on leaf instead

E: also seconding 'buy huge boxes of stuff from ethnic supermarkets for pennies' as an idea

Will have to check out golden monkey tea company, the buy huge boxes of stuff they'd go out of date by the time I'd have got half way through. I do however buy it when I do my tea beers. My chinese tea beer is surprisingly good (i add it end of boil but wait for it to drop in temp to not over extract tanins with regard to green tea but to also not got under the temp I need to get a strong effective coldbreak)

Fluo
May 25, 2007

I sound like such a tit but best way to explain it is you don't impress your boss with digestive biscuits. You get the special biscuits out

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

i buy whatever tea is on offer and enjoy it thoroughly

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
cilla black is dead :rip:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
our graham is apparently still alive

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
Tara Chuck.

RedLobster
Nov 19, 2010

Original Character
!DO NOT STEAL!
Is she really?

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Hard to say but apparently.

Just need more annoying scousers I don't like to die, like Ringo Starr and Steven Gerrard!

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

the queen dead? oh lorra lorra lovely sausage

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

post rock is bad

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

whats everyone favourite coffee shop?

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

my kitchen

it's v exclusive

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Vitamins posted:

my kitchen

it's v exclusive

the one in reading? i've been there a couple of times and it's nice but really awkward because of the seating

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Whorelord posted:

post rock is bad

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

hemale in pain posted:

The ones in Amsterdam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

hemale in pain posted:

Laboratorio Espresso in Glasgow. Wanky as all hell, but the coffee's good enough that I don't mind.