Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Rexides posted:

The anime needs more of this. Turn this into a monster-of-the-week format where in each episode our brave men and women of the JSDF face a new mythological monster and blow it up with C4.

I wish, I want to see a reenactment of the scene from the first LotR with the Cave Troll and the Balrog.

But with guns and hand grenades. :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I sometimes wonder when there's a good counter example to "Show, Don't Tell", I think this show provided a good example of where we learn post-facto that Itami had pretended his radios weren't working to get the refugees onto the base.

Since Itami's persona is "unmotivated slacker" it's more effective for some revelations to be a surprise rather than to be directly shown to you.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Raenir Salazar posted:

I sometimes wonder when there's a good counter example to "Show, Don't Tell", I think this show provided a good example of where we learn post-facto that Itami had pretended his radios weren't working to get the refugees onto the base.

Since Itami's persona is "unmotivated slacker" it's more effective for some revelations to be a surprise rather than to be directly shown to you.

It helps with the pacing too, and provides a useful introduction to his relationship with another character.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Bakanogami posted:

I have been enjoying the anime in a sort of bad, guilty pleasure way. Haven't read the manga, and it's too bad to hear it gets even more uncomfortably nationalist from here.

It would be cool to see a series actually skillfully tackle this premise from a history/economics perspective rather than this kind of bland mix of military otaku wanking and anime tropes. You'd effectively be looking at a second Columbian exchange, with most of the same pitfalls. We might not have smallpox to worry about, but there would still be a very real possibility of one side or the other being ravaged by new diseases or invasive species. Modern medicine might be able to deal with some of them on our side, but I could imagine that at the very least STDs would spread very quickly once introduced into a low education environment.

It would be an anthropological goldmine, with entirely new civilizations to document and explore, as well as numerous societies preserved at a middle ages level of civilization, observation of which could lead to new breakthroughs in understanding our own past civilizations that couldn't be achieved through written records and digging. Plus there's the evolutionary questions. You could dodge the question of a second world independently evolving humans by saying a population came through a gate long ago, but that still leaves the questions of demihuman species.

Plus there's magic. Even the one bit of it we've seen, with the cart being lightened, would absolutely revolutionize a thousand fields, most notably breaking the rocketry equation and making spaceflight orders of magnitude more practical.

I expect that even barring outright conquest, at the very least you'd see the unequal treaties and outright colonization as the native kingdoms trade away mineral/oil rights and land in return for scraps of technology that would very quickly sweep through their societies, leading to a string of wars and revolutions.

...But no, let's have a series with harems, catgirls, and 900 year old lolis where every nation other than Japan is depicted as being one dimensional comically evil bumbling villains instead.

I'd like a work like this, but how to not make it some sort of disturbing social commentary and not in a good way? That and usually authors skilled at this sort of writing while also having the required knowledge are a little rare.

The closest was Turtledove's World War series.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'd like a work like this, but how to not make it some sort of disturbing social commentary and not in a good way? That and usually authors skilled at this sort of writing while also having the required knowledge are a little rare.

The closest was Turtledove's World War series.

I think your best bets are Jin and Drifters. Jin is about a modern surgeon transported back to the Edo period and his attempts to survive and save as many people with modern medicine as possible. Drifters is about various historical figures plucked out of our world by two enigmatic beings and dumped in a fantasy setting to influence the balance of power. By the Hellsing dude and not as scholarly as Jin but still a drat sight better than Gate.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 26, 2015

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Jin is really loving good. At its core, it is a power fantasy about a man making the Correct Decisions in the face of a relatively primitive society. But it is vastly more courageous than Gate, because of Jin's personal principles and his willingness to face down the violence of Edo period society with no threat of violence backing him up.

The setting is also more interesting than Gate, because 19th century Japan is an established setting, while Gate is a mishmash of generic fantasy worlds with zero distinguishing features remaining. Jin has little interest in the big picture and maintaining the proper flow of history. He is a small man in a vast world, and all he can do to exert his ideals is to be the best drat surgeon he can be with 19th century technology.

It's tense as gently caress, because you never know if he'll gently caress up a surgery and get his head lopped off. It's also depressing as gently caress, because what is the point of performing surgery to save a single man when you have other men chopping one another to pieces with swords less than a metre away from the surgical table?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Phobophilia posted:

Jin is really loving good. At its core, it is a power fantasy about a man making the Correct Decisions in the face of a relatively primitive society. But it is vastly more courageous than Gate, because of Jin's personal principles and his willingness to face down the violence of Edo period society with no threat of violence backing him up.

The setting is also more interesting than Gate, because 19th century Japan is an established setting, while Gate is a mishmash of generic fantasy worlds with zero distinguishing features remaining. Jin has little interest in the big picture and maintaining the proper flow of history. He is a small man in a vast world, and all he can do to exert his ideals is to be the best drat surgeon he can be with 19th century technology.

It's tense as gently caress, because you never know if he'll gently caress up a surgery and get his head lopped off. It's also depressing as gently caress, because what is the point of performing surgery to save a single man when you have other men chopping one another to pieces with swords less than a metre away from the surgical table?

I mean, many of the aspects of GATE I have zero problem with, and mainly how the story is structured as it is seems pretty fun to me and engaging enough despite my best efforts to dislike it; GATE obviously takes the realistic take of "Haha get Pizzarro'd"; but since it's fiction we really shouldn't criticize it just because of such a disproportionate matchup, alien invasion stories are the same but in reverse. How many humans died in Aldnoah.Zero? It's clearly set up for its narrative; and since the people at the other side are portrayed as intelligent, self actualizing sentient beings with sympathetic motivations, it isn't intended to taken like it's the author going "Haha look how easy it is to shoot fish in a barrel".

The work combines a variety of tropes I personally greatly enjoy; so even if it didn't get as smart as say, Bakanogami would like it (as something more along the lines of Maou Yuusha) I think it'd be fair and not really cause for disappointment. If it stayed Richard Sharpe meets Generation Kill But With Dragons In A Fantasy World I think there's enough for it to be fun and compelling without it needing to explore every question such an encounter would ask.

The real reason we should be concerned about the work, is if and to what extent it serves as a vehicle for xenophobia and ultranationalism. In the manga poo poo like implicitly denying the Nanjing massacre is atrocious. I also think it's rather telling that he gives far more humanization to the Not!Romans then to the real world nations represented. This is bad because we have clear evidence that such bias truly does badly affect the quality of the work; the lack of fleshed out motivation is noticeable compared to the more reasonable and sympathetic characterization of the Not!Romans.

In so far as we can objectively judge the work by its merits I think that's where the focus should really be; observing and criticizing the work for when it shits itself where and when the author can't help himself from doing a Dante.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Do the Romans ever throw a spear, can somebody who is farther in tell me.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Sharkopath posted:

Drifters is a way cooler comic with a similar idea, but sorta. People from all over history are thrown into the same medieval fantasy world and begin to reorganize their armies and modernize where they can.

They're also fighting against Hitler.
Nah, Hitler is dead. He built that big civilization that fell apart after he died.

The implication is that the main badguy is probably Jesus what with all of the religious historical figures being a part of the badguy faction like Joan of Arc and so on

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Fabricated posted:

Nah, Hitler is dead. He built that big civilization that fell apart after he died.

The implication is that the main badguy is probably Jesus what with all of the religious historical figures being a part of the badguy faction like Joan of Arc and so on

I think Hitler was recruited by the "good" side with the thought that with actual orcs and poo poo threatening humanity he'd put his talents to a good use. Instead he starts trying to wipe out the elves and dwarves. Whoops.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

Okay I have to agree, Jin is fantastic. I like the idea of Gate, but it's actual content is terrible. Jin does a similar thing so much better.

But really, Gate isn't generic. It's defining feature it's a generic fantasy Europe setting that's extremely densely populated by waifus. :shepface:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The thing about Jin is that he is timelost: he has no access to materials from the modern world. All his knowledge is held solely within his head. All his tools and instruments and drugs, he has to source from the locals. When he needs penicillin, he has to recall ancient knowledge from his undergraduate days, make friends with a soy sauce maker, and supervise the construction and training of an entire factory. When he needs syringes and scapels and IV drips, he needs to make friends with skilled craftsmen.

When the Gaters want to do something, they can just do it because they have the backing of a first-world industrial apparatus behind them. This can be cool (the shot of the fort at the start of episode 3 was pretty cool, as was the construction equipment ripping apart the earth as some natives stood close by). But it is considerably less tense than having to fend for yourself.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Which is precisely why I don't really even consider timelost stuff like Jin to be the same thing. The connection of both SETTINGS is the defining feature, it's a whole different ballgame from just dumping some people from one into the other.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Phobophilia posted:

The problem with Jin is that he only has one waifu.

^^^ - unironically why this gets made into an anime instead of Jin

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Is there anything similar to the old Stargate movie?

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011
Found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRgu7aHdgXg

The hell is up with the split-screens in this show? Back in episode 1 I thought it was supposed to be phone video taken in portrait, but it turns out it's just something they do. Has it been done before, like is it a director/studio thing? Do you guys find it tolerable (yet confusing) like me, or unique or pretentious?

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Drifters really is a superior series, and this panel should be enough to sell anyone on it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

Do the Romans ever throw a spear, can somebody who is farther in tell me.

please start calling it a pilum or javelin if you must simplify it. the distinction is important

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

please start calling it a pilum or javelin if you must simplify it. the distinction is important

A spear by any other name is just as deadly.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Davincie posted:

I'm pretty sure the JSDF have javelins so that's still a bit murky

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

7c Nickel posted:

I think Hitler was recruited by the "good" side with the thought that with actual orcs and poo poo threatening humanity he'd put his talents to a good use. Instead he starts trying to wipe out the elves and dwarves. Whoops.

I approve of elf genocide

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Namtab posted:

I approve of elf genocide

Genocide refers to people.

Elves aren't people. :colbert:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Thanks for correcting me

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Sharkopath posted:

A spear by any other name is just as deadly.

Did you know that a bayoneted rifle is basically a spear that can throw lots of little spears really fast?

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Phobophilia posted:

This can be cool (the shot of the fort at the start of episode 3 was pretty cool, as was the construction equipment ripping apart the earth as some natives stood close by).

The thing that gets me about this is that in a couple episodes their gate fortifications have progressed like so:

At first we have some quickly erected haphazard trench lines reminiscent of WWI, which are not that preposterous considering their facing massed infantry attacks. Not that necessary, since they don't seem to be getting into bow range, and not that effective, since at their outer ranges bowmen fire upwards so the arrows would be coming straight down into the trenches, but fairly reasonable nonetheless.

In the state we see in the most recent episode, they appear to have continued backward in time and taken inspiration from 16th century star fortifications in their design. I mean the flanking fire is good and all, but a lot of the design was shaped to defend against early cannon, which aren't present. It seems a bit overkill, eh?

Especially when there doesn't appear to be even the beginnings of an airstrip. I suppose they could be using helicopters for aerial reconnaissance but you'd think they might at least think about putting something in the air with longer range.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think it's effective in that it prevents easy infiltration or an assault from any direction and forces a massed attack to break apart.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think it's effective in that it prevents easy infiltration or an assault from any direction and forces a massed attack to break apart.

The fort design was basically the absolute pinnacle of siege defense before long range artillery rendered the concept irrelevant.

pentyne posted:

It's pretty bad when the most understandable thing going on in a fantasy meets modern world series is that a huge titted elf girl has terrible PTSD and they spend chapters on planning to cure her.

While checking back to see about the defensive fortification I actually noticed something cool

The JSDF fantasy base is based off of the most advanced cannon-era fortress style ever designed, something that would make perfect sense to build when facing a society without explosive shell weapons. That's actually pretty cool and means the writer/artist thought about it and did some researched to see what the best fortress design would be,

Based off the Konigsberg Fortifications.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%B6nigsberg_fortifications

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Depending on how the series goes this might be the first manga I ever read

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Great choice as always Dil

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

pentyne posted:

The fort design was basically the absolute pinnacle of siege defense before long range artillery rendered the concept irrelevant.

Based off the Konigsberg Fortifications.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%B6nigsberg_fortifications

Fort McHenry

http://www.gregpeasephoto.com/data/photos/778_1pcg617_aerial_of_fort_mchenry.jpg

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Bakanogami posted:

Especially when there doesn't appear to be even the beginnings of an airstrip. I suppose they could be using helicopters for aerial reconnaissance but you'd think they might at least think about putting something in the air with longer range.

I'm going to put money on the author not realizing you need an airstrip for that.

I sorta recall seriously am i spoiler-ing for THIS series, airplanes later on and I don't think they ever established having an airstrip until it was needed.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Anatharon posted:

I'm going to put money on the author not realizing you need an airstrip for that.

I sorta recall seriously am i spoiler-ing for THIS series, airplanes later on and I don't think they ever established having an airstrip until it was needed.

The airstrip is in the background of some of the manga issues under construction actually

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
New episode, reminds me 100% of a Sharpe novel. Elf girl seems strangely interested in the squadette. I thought she was a part of the MC's harem or is that a red herring?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Likely anime-original because this will only run one season and they wouldn't make it to that plot.

Rose knight armor was a dumber change. at least they censored the bandit gate scene

Jackard fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 2, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jackard posted:

Likely anime-original because this will only run one season and they wouldn't make it to that plot.

Rose knight armor was a dumber change. at least they censored the bandit gate scene

I don't know, Mahouka got a second season because the blu-rays sold crazy well and it didn't even have t&a.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

pentyne posted:

I don't know, Mahouka got a second season because the blu-rays sold crazy well and it didn't even have t&a.

What are you talking about, you could see the girls ankles sometimes. :stare:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

What are you talking about, you could see the girls ankles sometimes. :stare:

THEY WERE THE WHORES

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I actually liked the Mahouka uniform designs, except for how the colors fed into the strangely limited and cold color palette the show had.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The male uniforms looked okay, the female uniforms were the frumpiest things ever. They look like maternity gowns.

That was until I started watching Ouran, their female uniforms are worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

pentyne posted:

It did?

• Locked thread