Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

THC posted:

Stephen Harper is going to win a majority :toxx:

Lowtax thanks you for your :10bux:

colonel_korn posted:

Am I crazy to think that a CPC minority might actually be preferable to an NDP minority? Like an NDP minority will almost certainly get repeatedly undermined by the CPC and Liberals to show that they just can't be trusted to govern, while a CPC minority might actually force the Liberals and NDP to work together and maybe even form a working coalition. (Yes, I know it didn't happen last time, but I think there'd be a lot more pressure on them this time to actually make it work).

colonel_korn posted:

Am I crazy to think that a CPC minority might actually be preferable to an NDP minority? Like an NDP minority will almost certainly get repeatedly undermined by the CPC and Liberals to show that they just can't be trusted to govern, while a CPC minority might actually force the Liberals and NDP to work together and maybe even form a working coalition. (Yes, I know it didn't happen last time, but I think there'd be a lot more pressure on them this time to actually make it work).

I really wish there can be a coalition somehow this time, but Trudeau and Mulcair seem opposed to it on a cellular level. I hope they can prove me wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

New rule: coalition talk is bannable

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Conservative minority with a brutal NDP opposition that never shuts up and is constantly on the attack during the housing crash and recession and more and more criminal investigations into the conservatives that utterly destroys them as a party and sees "conservatism" split into some useless new parties of fiscal conservatives and whack job religious nuts leading to a sweeping NDP majority next election at which point they all decode the secret messages in the NDP's rather centrist platform that actually spells out their plan to implement full communism after a brief but needed period of proletariet dictatorship which will of course be phased back out into democratic control once the population is sufficiently educated and for it.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Actually I'd predict that the LPC would turn around and agree to a coalition in the event of a CPC minority -- polls posted earlier show that they'd be in pretty big trouble with their base if they didn't.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The Conservatives ran the government like a majority government for a long time, even after Iggy put the Harper "on notice." Given the Liberal support for C-51, I don't think a Conservative minority would be preferable to a NDP minority.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

THC posted:

Stephen Harper is going to win a majority :toxx:

Quoting this for the record.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
If Harper wins another majority, or even minority, I am going to cry. :smith:

Don't know if that's worth a toxx.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

I'm at the Pride Parade right now and :siren: JT spotted :siren:

The liberals are crowding all of us out :mad:

Chicken Doodle has issued a correction as of 20:51 on Aug 2, 2015

cuttooth
Dec 12, 2002

The ATR1: turning shit into polished turds since 1997.

Heavy neutrino posted:

Actually I'd predict that the LPC would turn around and agree to a coalition in the event of a CPC minority -- polls posted earlier show that they'd be in pretty big trouble with their base if they didn't.

A coalition with which party, though? Might there be enough blue Liberals to turn a CPC minority into a CPC/Lib coalition, or maybe we would see Liberal floor-crossers? I mean, that would probably spell the end for Liberal support in many camps, but still...I worry.

Oh god it's going to be the worst 11 weeks.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Harper has started rounding up his enemies!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Conservative minority with a brutal NDP opposition that never shuts up and is constantly on the attack during the housing crash and recession and more and more criminal investigations into the conservatives that utterly destroys them as a party and sees "conservatism" split into some useless new parties of fiscal conservatives and whack job religious nuts leading to a sweeping NDP majority next election at which point they all decode the secret messages in the NDP's rather centrist platform that actually spells out their plan to implement full communism after a brief but needed period of proletariet dictatorship which will of course be phased back out into democratic control once the population is sufficiently educated and for it.

I didn't make it through all of this :ohdear:

Leofish posted:

Need picks of Tom "The Beard" Mulcair tia

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Hey goon from scotland here who's been through the scottish independence referendum and the 2015 uk election, just popping up to say don't trust polls ever not once not ever.

Also, I know only the most basic things about your politics but good luck to your angry beard guy I hope he wins.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Angepain posted:

Hey goon from scotland here who's been through the scottish independence referendum and the 2015 uk election, just popping up to say don't trust polls ever not once not ever.

Also, I know only the most basic things about your politics but good luck to your angry beard guy I hope he wins.

Thanks, sorry about your election but at least the SNP seem good.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Woops

Cocaine Bear has issued a correction as of 21:29 on Aug 2, 2015

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Angepain posted:

Thank you. I hope the angry beard guy wins too. (It would be too soul crushing if he didn't. :ohdear:)

Good luck to you out there as well. I heard about the UK Conservatives attempting to ban all kinds of digital encryption, and it sounds absolutely ghastly. At least the SNP seems to have their heart in the right place.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

He's so noble he's even going to invite the wildlings back south of the wall. :allears:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Heavy neutrino posted:

I don't think Bay Street would support a coalition between New Democrats and Liberals.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

BREAKING: Mulcair to name Niflheim as 11th province if elected.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

We the north.

edit: #wethenorth

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

BGrifter posted:

I don't think Bay Street would support a coalition between New Democrats and Liberals.

Let bay street run red with the blood of the financial class :) :) :)

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I can't believe it's possible for the words "waste of taxpayer dollars" to leave her mouth but I was wrong. She cut enough from doctors' fees just this year to pay for two elections though. Luckily, we don't have expensive elections to worry about so we were able to throw that money into the pan am games.

Wynne blasts Harper for early election call

quote:

“If the rumours are true, it would be unusual, it would be unnecessary and it would be a waste of taxpayer dollars,” Wynne said.

That pic I put up, I like the Wynne-Trudeau branding strategy given that her approval rating has dropped to 29%. I don't care about the ORPP except that the LOL BRB TTYL FU ads drive me crazy. Our little business will hopefully be able to skirt it by starting our own little pension so it should only affect the proletariat.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

THC posted:

New rule: coalition talk is bannable

Please please please please this

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

"WE AREN'T IN A RECESSION, STATSCAN AND ECONOMISTS ARE LIARS BECAUSE MY LITTLE BUMFUCK TOWN IN ALBERTA HASN'T BEEN AFFECTED YET"

-An actual caller on Cross Country Checkup

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

BGrifter posted:

I don't know much about the inner workings of the LPC but could Trudeau really survive saying no to the 69 percent of his membership that supports a coalition with Mulcair as the PM? It's not just a niche issue that you can bury and ignore; it's the question that will be on everyone's lips if the CPC win a minority.

Come to think of it, could a slice of LPC MPs rebel and engender a coalition government without his approval? I've forgotten just about everything of that one 202 Canadian political system elective I took in college.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Has anyone else heard the rumour that Trudeau had to stop some of his minions from kicking out his chief strategist Gerald Butts and replacing him with the party pollster?

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Helsing posted:

Has anyone else heard the rumour that Trudeau had to stop some of his minions from kicking out his chief strategist Gerald Butts and replacing him with the party pollster?

What would the context behind that be? Is it just intra-party politics? Or is there some undue desperation going on?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

In the event of a conservative minority the liberals will form a don't-call-it-a-coalition with them and support every government budget, military action and confidence motion just like they did from 2006-2011. More than ever, Canada needs strength and stability.

In the event of an NDP minority, the Liberals will work with the official opposition to undermine it at every turn. Canada can't afford untested, risky schemes.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Morroque posted:

What would the context behind that be? Is it just intra-party politics? Or is there some undue desperation going on?

Butts would have to be turfed because of their slide in the polls. It would be seen as a shake up renewal to put them back on track. Might get a couple columns written about them.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Helsing posted:

Kinsella had a couple of posts:
http://warrenkinsella.com/2015/07/about-that-lpc-rumour/
http://warrenkinsella.com/2015/08/the-cottage-coup/

(Strategist is Butts, campaign manager is Telford, pollster is Herle)

Pinterest Mom has issued a correction as of 22:34 on Aug 2, 2015

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Heavy neutrino posted:

I don't know much about the inner workings of the LPC but could Trudeau really survive saying no to the 69 percent of his membership that supports a coalition with Mulcair as the PM?

You might be mistaking the Liberal Party for one that gives a poo poo what the rank and file thinks. That imaginary party will be campaigning on a guaranteed minimum income any day now.

Putting the LPC on life support with a part in a coalition government is worse than a CPC minority anyway.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The game is afoot.

Also, after 9 years of Tory rule the economy is in such a precarious position that we'll turn into Greece if you elect someone else. :canada:

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

El Scotch posted:

The game is afoot.

Also, after 9 years of Tory rule the economy is in such a precarious position that we'll turn into Greece if you elect someone else. :canada:

look at greece everything was FINE THERE for the last 4000 years. they invented democracy for gods sake. then they elected leftists and now they are in the news all the time because their prime minister doesnt wear a tie and the europeans hate him

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Helsing posted:

I choose to believe this is true just because of the potential headlines

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I hadn't heard anything like but I am not sure who I dislike more. Gbuttz or national party director and dude who has his head so far up his own rear end he speaks from his stomach.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
NDP led coalition with Libs in Defence, Foreign Affairs and Public Safety would probably be the best case scenario for this country. But prepare for all the butthurt student union activists aghast at the NDP (for you see, a student union having a concrete stance on Palestine has lots to do with student representation)

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Melian Dialogue posted:

NDP led coalition with Libs in Defence, Foreign Affairs and Public Safety would probably be the best case scenario for this country. But prepare for all the butthurt student union activists aghast at the NDP (for you see, a student union having a concrete stance on Palestine has lots to do with student representation)

Strawmanning the reaction to a thing that will never happen. Never change, you sad little troll. :allears:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

angerbeet posted:

:henget:ELECTION TIME:henget:

Anon is saying they'll make an announcement at 3 EST

The big announcement was... that they will make more announcements next month. lol

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
:laffo: at the unfuckwithable mention

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Leofish posted:

They really should have stopped after Son of the Mask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

colonel_korn posted:

The big announcement was... that they will make more announcements next month. lol

What a load of horseshit.

• Locked thread