Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
What type of housing do you humans employ to protect you from the elements? I live in a house personally but I'm going to be moving to an apartment soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
how was your take away there i don't like basil

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
gently caress this noise im gone again

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i loving love basil

goodbye forever

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

mr.capps posted:

i loving love basil

goodbye forever

Hahahaha goodbye capps

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I apologize if I broke capps :/

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I made khachapuri last night which is a lot like pizza (it was delicious)

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Magnus Gallant posted:

What type of housing do you humans employ to protect you from the elements? I live in a house personally but I'm going to be moving to an apartment soon.

When I met Ernie we bonded over the fact that houses are stupid and apartments are superior in every way.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Asiina posted:

When I met Ernie we bonded over the fact that houses are stupid and apartments are superior in every way.

As someone who is almost a year into home ownership,

:agreed:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Like there are only 2 good reasons to have a house: having an outdoor grassy area to call your own where you can garden and if you want to renovate and change the inside of your house significantly.

Both of these you can sorta do in an apartment anyway by having a balcony garden and doing minor changes like painting (moreso if you have a condo).

There is no other reason to get a house. Why the hell would you want to deal with house problems when they can be not your problem but the problem of a professional. If I have an electrical problem or a water problem or a moth problem, I just call up my landlord and they deal with that poo poo for no extra money.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Asiina posted:

Like there are only 2 good reasons to have a house: having an outdoor grassy area to call your own where you can garden and if you want to renovate and change the inside of your house significantly.

Both of these you can sorta do in an apartment anyway by having a balcony garden and doing minor changes like painting (moreso if you have a condo).

There is no other reason to get a house. Why the hell would you want to deal with house problems when they can be not your problem but the problem of a professional. If I have an electrical problem or a water problem or a moth problem, I just call up my landlord and they deal with that poo poo for no extra money.

You could always just rent a house so those problems are your landlords problems.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
As a homeowner, I

- No longer have to worry about the stupid assholes upstairs who cannot comprehend the concept of treading lightly, so their footsteps shake the ceiling
- I can actually play my guitar through my amp whenever I want, as loud as I want

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
So many more things can go wrong in a house than an apartment. I never have to worry about floods or roof problems.

Plus I don't have to do any lawn care which is nice. If I rented a house that'd still be my responsibility.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
- I can blast my heavy metal screaming music that no one else wants to hear as loud as I want, whenever I want
- My dog has a fenced backyard to run around in
- I cannot have a drumset in an apartment

Honestly for me most of it was about the noise from others and not wanting to be a loud dick to them as well

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Kumbamontu posted:

As a homeowner, I

- No longer have to worry about the stupid assholes upstairs who cannot comprehend the concept of treading lightly, so their footsteps shake the ceiling
- I can actually play my guitar through my amp whenever I want, as loud as I want

I see people say this, but that's just living in a nice area vs a lovely area, cause if you lived in a lovely neighbourhood full of row houses you'd still have to deal with sharing walls and loud annoying neighbours who yell all the time.

I've lived 4 different apartments in my life and some have had good neighbours and some have had bad neighbours and sometimes it's loud and sometimes it's not, but I've had friends who live in houses who have the same experiences. Type of dwelling doesn't change this.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I never had problems with people next to me, I always had problems with people above or below me, which owning a home eradicates the possibility of

YMMV of course

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
My last apartment the noisiest poo poo was actually from the house across the way which would have very loud parties every weekend with all the windows open and they would sing along badly to terrible songs until 3am. I never heard anything from anyone else actually in the building.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Kumbamontu posted:

- I can blast my heavy metal screaming music that no one else wants to hear as loud as I want, whenever I want
- My dog has a fenced backyard to run around in
- I cannot have a drumset in an apartment

Honestly for me most of it was about the noise from others and not wanting to be a loud dick to them as well

I came here to post this. I don't have a house, but boy do I wish I had a space to just make noise with my bass w/out pissing off the neighbors. As it is I'm forced to play it very low or with headphones which just isn't quite as fun. Also, dogs. I'm more of a cat person but I would never force a dog to live in anything smaller than a house with its own yard.

Like I know even if you have immediate neighbors in closely spaced lawns and all that it can still present a problem, but it's still a huge difference compared to apartments.

That said other than that apartments are more than fine. Space is definitely not an issue if you don't own a lot of things.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I would never go back to renting. Home ownership 4 life

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I intend to own a house. House repairs are really not that complex if you take your time.

Patience is key.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
You can rent duplexes were the landlord does lawncare whoa awesome~

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
I bought a house so I could get a dog. It was worth getting a $600k mortgage for.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

My apartment is too small for all my crap to be shown off nicely and is far too expensive

I actually think if I bought a house my mortgage payment potentially would be lower than my current rent

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Who thought it was a good idea to let ghosts into this thread? I am very opposed to ghosts in my thread.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
There are so many people in my apartment building with dogs it's crazy. If you sit outside for 15 minutes at any point in the day you will see at least one person walking a dog. Just because you have a dog in an apartment doesn't mean that they are trapped in a small box for their whole lives. Yards aren't everything.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
Yards are amazing because you can sit out there and grill and let your dog run loose and that's like the best thing.

Also flowers!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I would much rather live in an apartment than a house but I would never really want to live in an apartment with more than 2 other people.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Kumba, I get you.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

yuming posted:

Yards are amazing because you can sit out there and grill and let your dog run loose and that's like the best thing.

Also flowers!

You can do basically all of these things on a balcony.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I live in a town house, so I feel like some sort of half way abomination.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
I have pretty much never lived in anything other than apartments. Speaking of which, I had a housewarming party last night! It was great because it forced us to finish moving in, and also we played lots and lots of Mafia! I learned that my kid sister is a total Mafia prodigy. It went over well enough that I'm going to start running regular games! If you're ever in Portland, Maine on a Tuesday night, let me know! :sun:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Asiina posted:

You can do basically all of these things on a balcony.

I have lived in 2 dorms and 3 different apartment complexes and exactly none of them have allowed the use or even ownership of a grill

Amoeba102 posted:

Kumba, I get you.

:glomp:

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Kumbamontu posted:

I have lived in 2 dorms and 3 different apartment complexes and exactly none of them have allowed the use or even ownership of a grill

:glomp:

I had a grill in an apartment once and I used it precisely once. $50 well spent.

Edit: Well okay not in the apartment, but on the balcony, ya know.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
There was one place that wouldn't even let us use one of those cheap rear end weber charcoal grills in the middle of a totally empty and unused parking lot because it was a fire hazard

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I have never lived in an apartment that has ever allowed the use of a grill on you balcony. In fact i tried to once and set off my upstairs neighbors fire alarm.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I hope to someday live in a room with a closet.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
Join Asiina's CYOR Game please

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.

EXAKT Science posted:

I have pretty much never lived in anything other than apartments. Speaking of which, I had a housewarming party last night! It was great because it forced us to finish moving in, and also we played lots and lots of Mafia! I learned that my kid sister is a total Mafia prodigy. It went over well enough that I'm going to start running regular games! If you're ever in Portland, Maine on a Tuesday night, let me know! :sun:

Just got a job in Bangor, will have to see how stuff shakes out wrt bills after paycheck #1, but this would be fun.

(Never hung out with goons before, let's see if I can overcome my social anxiety)

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

CapitalistPig posted:

I have never lived in an apartment that has ever allowed the use of a grill on you balcony. In fact i tried to once and set off my upstairs neighbors fire alarm.

It was a 2-story apartment building and I think we were only allowed to us gas grills, but it was still a grill, and it still existed and was used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
Nothing's better than dying d1 to a circle of death spell with your fresh wu jen.