Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, I'll get a new one from a different seller. This one was advertised as new, but it was at least open box, if not used with all of the packaging put back on to seem new. The box itself was all hosed up from being opened previously. I was too desperate for a non hosed up phone to care at the time, but I think I'll give them a lovely review after I return it. That's not okay.

E: How do I wipe all of my data off of the phone? Is that a factory reset?

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Okay, I'll get a new one from a different seller. This one was advertised as new, but it was at least open box, if not used with all of the packaging put back on to seem new. The box itself was all hosed up from being opened previously. I was too desperate for a non hosed up phone to care at the time, but I think I'll give them a lovely review after I return it. That's not okay.

E: How do I wipe all of my data off of the phone? Is that a factory reset?

I would encrypt it and then factory reset.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

God drat thats disappointing.

To add on to my list:

• Incoming calls are a shitshow. The phone will start ringing, but the phone app won't show up for multiple rings. It'll just have the notification in the notification bar of an incoming call and then after a little bit the phone app will finally appear.
FWIW, this has also been happening on my Nexus 6 since I got it. Lollipop is a clusterfuck and I have no hope that the N6 will ever be what I hoped it would be, which is the 2013 Moto X DE but bigger and more awesome.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
On the flip side mines never done that in the 8 or so months I've had it. I've only had one issue in a long time which was the launcher crashing if I hadn't touched the phone in many hours and went to unlock it. It'd quickly reload and that happened for a week or two once in awhile and then something updated and they fixed it.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

DemonMage posted:

On the flip side mines never done that in the 8 or so months I've had it. I've only had one issue in a long time which was the launcher crashing if I hadn't touched the phone in many hours and went to unlock it. It'd quickly reload and that happened for a week or two once in awhile and then something updated and they fixed it.

Cross post from the iPhone thread since it is relevant.

So...I went and picked up an iPhone 6. I have thoughts and feels on this phone, particularly compared to my previous phone (2013 Moto X):

+ Bluetooth is much more stable; haven't had any issue with my car, Pebble, or portable speaker. Usually have to cycle Bluetooth several times a day.

+ Battery is much better, though that isn't saying much!

+ Apple Pay is awesome.

+ Everything feels significantly smoother and more stable.

+ It's almost embarrassing how noticeably better general app design is for iOS versions over Android versions.

+ First time I've had a lightning/usb-c cable, and why doesn't every phone have something like this?

= The physical design is nice. It really is. I'm not really a big fan of the aluminum when combined with the thin, flat size - it is very slippery!

= Touch ID is pretty rad, but since I wear a smart watch every day, I do think I prefer smart lock for ease of unlocking.

- Navigation is significantly more clunky than on Android. I've never thought I'd miss those stupid soft buttons, but the multi-tasking button and back button are very useful.

- Everything just feels like it takes slightly...longer. Moving between apps, transferring information, and getting from A to B.

- I do not plan on ever switching to OS X, and I really miss being able to easily send texts from my computer.

- Notifications are really poor compared to Android.

Overall, I'm not sure on whether I'm going to stick with it. I'll give it a couple more days, but while it is more stable, smooth, and polished than Android, it doesn't feel as functional.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
Is there a budget Android phone with a decent camera? My partner is looking for a new phone and thinks my Moto E 2015 is otherwise ok but the camera is poo poo (which it is).

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

IuniusBrutus posted:

Cross post from the iPhone thread since it is relevant.

So...I went and picked up an iPhone 6. I have thoughts and feels on this phone, particularly compared to my previous phone (2013 Moto X):

+ Bluetooth is much more stable; haven't had any issue with my car, Pebble, or portable speaker. Usually have to cycle Bluetooth several times a day.

+ Battery is much better, though that isn't saying much!

+ Apple Pay is awesome.

+ Everything feels significantly smoother and more stable.

+ It's almost embarrassing how noticeably better general app design is for iOS versions over Android versions.

+ First time I've had a lightning/usb-c cable, and why doesn't every phone have something like this?

= The physical design is nice. It really is. I'm not really a big fan of the aluminum when combined with the thin, flat size - it is very slippery!

= Touch ID is pretty rad, but since I wear a smart watch every day, I do think I prefer smart lock for ease of unlocking.

- Navigation is significantly more clunky than on Android. I've never thought I'd miss those stupid soft buttons, but the multi-tasking button and back button are very useful.

- Everything just feels like it takes slightly...longer. Moving between apps, transferring information, and getting from A to B.

- I do not plan on ever switching to OS X, and I really miss being able to easily send texts from my computer.

- Notifications are really poor compared to Android.

Overall, I'm not sure on whether I'm going to stick with it. I'll give it a couple more days, but while it is more stable, smooth, and polished than Android, it doesn't feel as functional.

This is me. I've been using an iPhone 6 since November last year. I also own a Nexus 7 and a Windows PC so I'm not committed to any ecosystem. I mostly use Google services though. Honestly in 2015 you can't go wrong with either an iPhone or a top of the line android phone. It just depends on your preferences. I'm eagerly awaiting the new Nexus 5 and I'm hoping the battery life and camera are good because that's the two main things I'm looking for in a smartphone.

The biggest advantage of the iPhone for me was not having to worry about random wakelocks that destroy your battery life. Other than that I loved my Nexus 5 back when I owned one.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Havana Affair posted:

Is there a budget Android phone with a decent camera? My partner is looking for a new phone and thinks my Moto E 2015 is otherwise ok but the camera is poo poo (which it is).

The Moto G 2015 has a 13 MP* camera and the 16 GB/2 gigs of RAM version is only $219 U.S.D

*Supposedly it uses the same sensor as the Nexus 6, which is good (by Nexus standards, anyway).

EDIT: The front camera is also 5 MP.

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Aug 2, 2015

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Is there any way I can turn off auto-correct entirely for proper nouns/capitalized words? Also is there any keyboard or dictionary that will accept both UK/US spellings of words?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Havana Affair posted:

The Zenfone 2 camera isn't bad. Certainly head and shoulders above the E. We'll have to wait for reviews of the new Moto G to see how they compare. There's nothing below the $180 mark that I'm aware of that has a decent camera, although its possible to find an old Flagship in that price range sometimes (LG G2, among others).

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
I dropped my Moto X 2014 and cracked the screen. Is there a suggested tempered glass screen protector for a 2014 Moto X while I wait out the release of a new phone? I want to put that $150 to a new phone instead of fixing my current one

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

The Moto G 2015 has a 13 MP* camera and the 16 GB/2 gigs of RAM version is only $219 U.S.D

*Supposedly it uses the same sensor as the Nexus 6, which is good (by Nexus standards, anyway).

EDIT: The front camera is also 5 MP.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

The Zenfone 2 camera isn't bad. Certainly head and shoulders above the E. We'll have to wait for reviews of the new Moto G to see how they compare. There's nothing below the $180 mark that I'm aware of that has a decent camera, although its possible to find an old Flagship in that price range sometimes (LG G2, among others).

Thanks to both! I should've mentioned I'm in Finland, so the pricing is different and I can't find the Zenfone for sale anywhere.

I've found a Sony Xperia M2 for the same price as the old 2nd Gen Moto G. The hardware seems to be similar but I've seen some claims that the Sony has a noticeably better camera. Does it? I'm also wondering if they're both too old already to be worth considering. I think the use would be mostly Instagram and Facebook and maybe Spotify, no gaming, so I guess you wouldn't need a very fast phone for that?

I'll keep an eye on the new Moto G reviews, though that's at the max point of her budget.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

TraderStav posted:

5.1.1 on the Z3c did NOT fix the audio pausing, but did improve it. The phone doesn't seem to suffer from the lag it had before but the pausing continues. No, my headphone jack does not have lint in it. Strange thing is, it almost feels like it's tied to the accelerometer. If I stop, accelerate, or turn sharply I can nearly guarantee it to pause. Is there a linkage between the two similar to how audio pauses when you pull out a set of headphones?

Then again, it did it while I was just walking normally the other day.

Bear with me while I spitball for a bit. Could a short in the headphone cable be causing it? In the settings for your media player of choice, look for an option to automatically pause when headphones are disconnected, and see if disabling it fixes your issue.

Also, try connecting to a BT headset, preferably one with good reception, to see if the issue is something hardware related, like the headphone port's connection to the mobo, or software, like horrendous memory management/a random bug or something.

Good luck Z3C buddy.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Daily Forecast posted:

Don't have mine yet, but apparently the battery life is supposed to be excellent on the new Moto G.

edit:

I imagine a gigantic loving battery (for this size of phone) paired with rather low-powered hardware is a winner.

It is, my daily driver is an Ascend Mate 2, and the battery life is loving incredible. 10-11 hours of screen on time on LTE.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
So I finally took the plunge and switched to my wife's Verizon plan, with a Nexus 6. Pretty significant upgrade from my OG Galaxy Nexus, which was just so bad that I couldn't even wait another few months to see what the next Nexus will offer.

Any quick recommendations on cases? Naturally, I will default to a Diztronic unless otherwise swayed.

jot
Jul 5, 2003

Some parts of history were never meant to be uncovered.

Sir Lemming posted:

So I finally took the plunge and switched to my wife's Verizon plan, with a Nexus 6. Pretty significant upgrade from my OG Galaxy Nexus.

Any quick recommendations on cases? Naturally, I will default to a Diztronic unless otherwise swayed.

I have a Spigen Ultra Hybrid clear case on my N6. It does the job pretty well. Cheap too.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I am a Diztronic convert. It's saved my N6 a few times.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Mooktastical posted:

Bear with me while I spitball for a bit. Could a short in the headphone cable be causing it? In the settings for your media player of choice, look for an option to automatically pause when headphones are disconnected, and see if disabling it fixes your issue.

Also, try connecting to a BT headset, preferably one with good reception, to see if the issue is something hardware related, like the headphone port's connection to the mobo, or software, like horrendous memory management/a random bug or something.

Good luck Z3C buddy.

Nope, doesn't matter the media player, even YouTube does it but I have made sure to check the setting. I listen to Bluetooth 98% of the time so it's not a bad cable. I did test runs with an aux cable and it still repeated it. I have not tried with the speaker but I anticipate similar results. :/

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

I didn't like the raised side buttons on the N6 diztronic case, but I solved that with my pocket knife and am otherwise very happy with the feel and fit.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I've got a spigen slim armor on my 6. Adds very little bulk, the hard plastic over the tpu feels nice, and it seems like it could take a beating.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Fruit Chewy posted:

I've got a spigen slim armor on my 6. Adds very little bulk, the hard plastic over the tpu feels nice, and it seems like it could take a beating.

This is my first non diz case and I'm liking it so far. The snap out kickstand even sees a little bit of use.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
So, Google Now is being kind of a dick. Recently I moved house. In Google Maps, I was able to edit my 'Home' address, and it accepted the new address fine. When I say 'navigate home' to Google Now, it correctly navigates to my new place. However, also in Google Now, I constantly have a 'x minutes to Home' card, but showing directions to my *old* house, and underneath the prompt 'Set this place as home for travel info?' and the options 'Set' or 'Edit'. If I choose 'Edit', I get a small dialogue pop up to edit it, with my old address pre-filled. In that screen, you have to type your new address, and as you do, it populates a list below of possible matches. My new address doesn't show up in that list, so I can't choose it, and so I'm stuck with Google Now thinking my old address is my home address, even though Google Maps correctly knows my new home address.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Also, is this the right Android thread for this question or is there a better one?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Out of curiosity, I'm sorry if this was answered earlier but I didn't spot it.

How important is Antimalware on an Android smartphone? I've had MalwareBytes for years on my Galaxy S3 but I just moved to the S6 and the drat thing crashes every time I try to initiate a scan.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
If you don't download from non-play store locations, it's basically not useful in the vast majority of situations.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

DemonMage posted:

If you don't download from non-play store locations, it's basically not useful in the vast majority of situations.

Well that's good to hear then.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

TraderStav posted:

Nope, doesn't matter the media player, even YouTube does it but I have made sure to check the setting. I listen to Bluetooth 98% of the time so it's not a bad cable. I did test runs with an aux cable and it still repeated it. I have not tried with the speaker but I anticipate similar results. :/

Have you tried clearing the cache partition and a factory reset?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'm going to stick with Diztronic for the time being based on Amazon reviews and such.

Now, another question... Has anyone ever tried to run with this thing? I used to put my GNex in an armband case to use RunKeeper. I do see some on Amazon, but I'm just wondering if any real person actually has experience doing this. Or if something other than an armband is better, like a waistband or something. I feel like I may have to lift weights just to make my arm bigger for this thing.

(I know this is basically why smartwatches exist, but I'd rather not go down that path if possible.)

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 3, 2015

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Have you tried clearing the cache partition and a factory reset?

I've done a factory reset but don't know anything about the cache partition. It seemed to fix the issue, for half a week.

I'd make (another) warranty claim but it's difficult to reproduce on demand unless the Sony tech is going to use it for a week

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Artificer posted:

Out of curiosity, I'm sorry if this was answered earlier but I didn't spot it.

How important is Antimalware on an Android smartphone? I've had MalwareBytes for years on my Galaxy S3 but I just moved to the S6 and the drat thing crashes every time I try to initiate a scan.

If you install poo poo from the Play Store and not sketchy websites, you'll be fine.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

chippy posted:

So, Google Now is being kind of a dick. Recently I moved house. In Google Maps, I was able to edit my 'Home' address, and it accepted the new address fine. When I say 'navigate home' to Google Now, it correctly navigates to my new place. However, also in Google Now, I constantly have a 'x minutes to Home' card, but showing directions to my *old* house, and underneath the prompt 'Set this place as home for travel info?' and the options 'Set' or 'Edit'. If I choose 'Edit', I get a small dialogue pop up to edit it, with my old address pre-filled. In that screen, you have to type your new address, and as you do, it populates a list below of possible matches. My new address doesn't show up in that list, so I can't choose it, and so I'm stuck with Google Now thinking my old address is my home address, even though Google Maps correctly knows my new home address.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Also, is this the right Android thread for this question or is there a better one?

I've had this issue for months. The address I have for "work" is the intersection where my university's commuter lot is located. Maps accepts this intersection just fine, but Now thinks my work address is some address range on one of the intersecting streets, about a mile away. It simply will not accept the intersection as a valid location. Really drat annoying, but no way to fix it as far as I can tell, although I haven't looked into any support options (i.e. Google Groups) yet.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
My Moto G 3rd gen just arrived about 5 minutes ago. Even before starting it up .. the build quality and feel are top notch. Really really impressed!

Edit : First impressions. The screen is nice even though "only" being 720p. The bootup process was extremely fast, my last use of Android was a Nexus 5 on 4.4.4 and it is faster than that. Started the app update process (per usual there are updates upon first boot) and decided to test the camera during this time since there are a lot of background processes going on. I am happy to note the camera is still fast during this process.

Overall, this seems to be a really nice phone.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Aug 3, 2015

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

I've had this issue for months. The address I have for "work" is the intersection where my university's commuter lot is located. Maps accepts this intersection just fine, but Now thinks my work address is some address range on one of the intersecting streets, about a mile away. It simply will not accept the intersection as a valid location. Really drat annoying, but no way to fix it as far as I can tell, although I haven't looked into any support options (i.e. Google Groups) yet.

Given that you can set arbitrary GPS co-ordinates as unlock locations for Smart Lock, I wish you could do the same for home/work locations and say HERE is where my home is.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

IuniusBrutus posted:

Double-tapping home brings up the multitasking menu, and iOS9 is adding a soft button to go back to a previous app when one app takes you to another, which helps some with that, at least.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So I got a N6 from Motorola last month, and returned when I got one used instead. They've had it now for nearly 35 days and haven't credited my card. They keep saying there's technical problems on their end, and can't figure out how to refund me. It's to motocredit, so whatever. I keep calling in and complaining and demanding compensation. So far I've gotten a $25 dollar and a 10% coupon for any accessories from Motorola.com. They don't stack, but if anyone wants them SA-Mart thread is here. Get yourself a fancy new accessory for that Moto G.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

poo poo can I sell my Babies r us or BBB coupons there too? Got so many stacking up....

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

DangerZoneDelux posted:

poo poo can I sell my Babies r us or BBB coupons there too? Got so many stacking up....

I've sold a ton of gift cards, and the first is basically a $25 GC, so......

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
So I just installed Chrome Remote Desktop. Holy poo poo, how was I not taking advantage of this before? I've been getting so frustrated with smartphone intrusion, screen addiction, and compulsive notification checking, so now I'm actually considering ditching my N6 in favor of a simpler mobile phone (Nokia???) along with an android tablet to essentially serve as a remote connection to my PC.

Am I crazy, or does this seem way more chill? Like, I really don't care about emoji or smartphone games or any frivolous bullshit like that, however being connected to my files, accounts, contacts, etc is pretty important. Anybody have experience running a slightly unorthodox set-up like this?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I encourage everyone who buys a Moto G to post a shot of the back. I'm having trouble deciding on color combinations because Moto Maker doesn't really show the texture pattern of the back cover.

db franco
Jul 14, 2014

Chill Penguin posted:

So I just installed Chrome Remote Desktop. Holy poo poo, how was I not taking advantage of this before? I've been getting so frustrated with smartphone intrusion, screen addiction, and compulsive notification checking, so now I'm actually considering ditching my N6 in favor of a simpler mobile phone (Nokia???) along with an android tablet to essentially serve as a remote connection to my PC.

Am I crazy, or does this seem way more chill? Like, I really don't care about emoji or smartphone games or any frivolous bullshit like that, however being connected to my files, accounts, contacts, etc is pretty important. Anybody have experience running a slightly unorthodox set-up like this?

i just sold my n6 for this same reason. i had an old n5 laying around so i'm gonna tough it out until the 2015 huawei nexus comes out.

dat type c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

How much longer should I expect an NIB S5 to last before slowing down drastically than an NIB LG G2? Trying to decide whether the extra $310 is worth it if I pay over 2 years. I don't play games, just browse the Internet, read the forums, and occasionally watch short videos.