Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So there's always talk about how Howland Reed managed to help Ned and his seven to defeat Arthur Dayne and the kingsguard at the tower of joy, some people speculate he's a warg and that he skinchanged into Dayne or something along those lines but we know it takes an extremely powerful warg to do that so it seemed somewhat off to me, and then when I was re-reading the story of the knight of the laughing tree I noticed that Meera actually tells Bran exactly what Howland's powers were, it could be that she's just talking poo poo but it seems rather specific:

quote:

Bran was almost certain he had never heard this story. "Did he have green dreams like Jojen?"
"No," said Meera, "but he could breathe mud and run on leaves, and change earth to water and water to earth with no more than a whispered word. He could talk to trees and weave words and make castles appear and disappear."

Most of those things seem misleading, or non-magical, breathing mud, running on leaves and making castles disappear seem like mundane crannogmen tricks, i.e, he breathes mud by lying underwater and using a hollow reed, hiding castles is also probably just a trick. Talking to trees means he could communicate with the old gods obviously but that isn't very special as both Arya, Jon and even Theon seem to be able to hear the old gods when in close vicinity to a heart tree, I think that the interesting part irt to the Tower of Joy is actually the "change earth to water and water to earth with no more than a whispered word" bit, it is very specifically something magical (unless Meera is lying or boasting, which I don't believe she is). It seems to me like even a very skilled swordsman would be at a significant disadvantage when the ground beneath their feet turns into mud/water puddles and they can't find a sure footing, it also fits well with the notion that they kingsguard were still so good and dangerous that they managed to slay everyone despite being put at such a disadvantage cause it's not something completely incapacitating.

On a slightly different subject, given that the knight of the laughing tree is almost certainly Lyanna it occurred to me that the relationship between Arya and Gendry is in many ways an interesting variation on the relationship between Lyanna and Robert given that Arya and Lyanna are pretty much exactly the same character and that Gendry is an accurate Robert clone, Gendry is also implied to have a minor crash on Arya who only sees him as a brother (well she's also only 11 and doesn't care about boys at that point). I thought it was interesting, Lyanna and Robert could have been great friends if he wasn't such an entitled MRA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think that the interesting part irt to the Tower of Joy is actually the "change earth to water and water to earth with no more than a whispered word" bit, it is very specifically something magical (unless Meera is lying or boasting, which I don't believe she is).

Or y'know, his lot live in a marsh and are really good at draining or redirecting water.

In regards to Ian McShane, I can now only imagine Euron acquiring Dragonbinder in some sort of dodgy antiques scheme.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
With a whispered word. It's a spell.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I adore this thread's optimism that Ian McShane will fare any better than Ciarán Hinds or Alexander Siddig.

Capopio
Feb 17, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

With a whispered word. It's a spell.

Yeah ok you have a point but can you extrapolate how long it took Ned's army to reach the Tower of Joy?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Most of those things seem misleading, or non-magical, breathing mud, running on leaves and making castles disappear seem like mundane crannogmen tricks, i.e, he breathes mud by lying underwater and using a hollow reed, hiding castles is also probably just a trick. Talking to trees means he could communicate with the old gods obviously but that isn't very special as both Arya, Jon and even Theon seem to be able to hear the old gods when in close vicinity to a heart tree, I think that the interesting part irt to the Tower of Joy is actually the "change earth to water and water to earth with no more than a whispered word" bit, it is very specifically something magical (unless Meera is lying or boasting, which I don't believe she is). It seems to me like even a very skilled swordsman would be at a significant disadvantage when the ground beneath their feet turns into mud/water puddles and they can't find a sure footing, it also fits well with the notion that they kingsguard were still so good and dangerous that they managed to slay everyone despite being put at such a disadvantage cause it's not something completely incapacitating.

On a slightly different subject, given that the knight of the laughing tree is almost certainly Lyanna it occurred to me that the relationship between Arya and Gendry is in many ways an interesting variation on the relationship between Lyanna and Robert given that Arya and Lyanna are pretty much exactly the same character and that Gendry is an accurate Robert clone, Gendry is also implied to have a minor crash on Arya who only sees him as a brother (well she's also only 11 and doesn't care about boys at that point). I thought it was interesting, Lyanna and Robert could have been great friends if he wasn't such an entitled MRA.

How did Howland and Ned destroy the tower on their own anyway? Did Howland cause a tremor or something?

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 2, 2015

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think the tower was pretty destroyed when they got there, I am also not sure whether Ned and Howland completely pulled it down or just pulled out enough stones to build the funeral cairns. It wasn't a big tower either way I think.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
What are Ben Plumm's plans now that he has Tyrion? It kind of sounded like it was hinted that they would betray the Yunkai'i and switch sides again, because the Yunkai forces are terrible, but with Dany gone and presumed dead by everyone that doesn't make too much sense unless they really care about Meereen. Was scene where Tyrion agrees to give Plumm and his men a bunch of gold and titles and poo poo hinting that the Second Sons were going to leave Meereen entirely and join their strength to fAegon? I'm pretty confident that Tyrion specifically hears earlier on in the book that the Golden Company sailed on Westeros so that was how I read the last Tyrion chapter.

Is Tyrion even going to meet Dany at all in the next book*?

*thats never coming out

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Lucky we've got the tv series, 'cos GRRM is blatantly bored to death with the books & is never going to finish them.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Pistol_Pete posted:

Lucky we've got the tv series, 'cos GRRM is blatantly bored to death with the books & is never going to finish them.

Maybe they can hire Brandon Sanderson to finish it after GRRM dies and the network gives the person who inherits the rights a briefcase of money.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I know it's a popular joke to make but seriously, Sanderson would do a horrible job with ASOIAF.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Wasn't the only mention of them actually pulling down the tower from Ned's fever dream?

and fever dreams are not exactly known to be 100% realistic

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

A Typical Goon posted:

Is Tyrion even going to meet Dany at all in the next book*?

lol

"Well, Tyrion and Dany will intersect, in a way, but for much of the book they're still apart" - Absolute Fucker

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Swagger Dagger posted:

Deadwood is pretty good for two seasons, but the third season is like half garbage and the ending is the worst.

You wanted them to tell you something pretty.

All you hoopleheads and shitbirds that didn't watch Deadwood or The Wire are markedly less literate than you could be. And I'm not even American. Or like westerns overmuch.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I read A Game of Thrones years ago, when the television series first started. I liked the first book, but felt it was overly thick, and that many of the chapters could have been greatly reduced or cut entirely. I started the second, and I enjoyed it alright, but life got in the way. As the television series progressed, I begin to learn major spoilers, like the fate of Joffrey, the Red Wedding, and of Renly's death, among other things even though I did not want to watch until I read the books. Now, I'm beginning to wonder if I should even bother reading the books, given the fact I would need to read a lot of stuff I already know, when my main problem was that I felt the books were too long already. What would you all say to this problem? Is asoiaf and Game of Thrones just not for me, or is it worth its flaws?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

The books are a shaggy dog story. It jerks you around and the fun is in the telling. The show is "I saw a man. he had a dog. it was shaggy. the end"

The show will get you there but the plot goes as the crow flies. The show cuts out everything about the books I felt was interesting, world building, intriguing.

I mean I know or suspect some plot points but I still want to read how it gets there. Get an audiobook version if you're so drat busy.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It would be really fitting if Ian McShane is actually being cast as Marwyn because then he'll have speech about prophesy is a lot like cocksucking.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Krinkle posted:

The books are a shaggy dog story. It jerks you around and the fun is in the telling. The show is "I saw a man. he had a dog. it was shaggy. the end"

The show will get you there but the plot goes as the crow flies. The show cuts out everything about the books I felt was interesting, world building, intriguing.

I mean I know or suspect some plot points but I still want to read how it gets there. Get an audiobook version if you're so drat busy.

This is false, Shaggydog gets practically written out of the latter books/seasons.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I had the same problem with ASoIaF as I did with WOT. In that the story throws 50 characters at me from the start and it's only after they get fleshed out that they become people. For example Theon Greyjoy wasn't a character I was aware of until he landed on Pyke. Before that he was just a random background character to me.

But then the story makes references to their deeds at the start before they were fleshed out and I barely remember who did what.

It's even worse with all these lords and knights that can show up 10 at a time as some major characters enters a camp or a castle.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I read A Game of Thrones years ago, when the television series first started. I liked the first book, but felt it was overly thick, and that many of the chapters could have been greatly reduced or cut entirely. I started the second, and I enjoyed it alright, but life got in the way. As the television series progressed, I begin to learn major spoilers, like the fate of Joffrey, the Red Wedding, and of Renly's death, among other things even though I did not want to watch until I read the books. Now, I'm beginning to wonder if I should even bother reading the books, given the fact I would need to read a lot of stuff I already know, when my main problem was that I felt the books were too long already. What would you all say to this problem? Is asoiaf and Game of Thrones just not for me, or is it worth its flaws?

The show is good but the books are better. I think they're worth reading even knowing the major plot points. The Gurm writes dialogue well. Most of the lines that people like on the show come from Martin's books. Most of the moronic dialogue on the show comes directly from D&D's retard brains. Books 1-3 are great. 4-5 are a mixed bag.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The books are poo poo, and the show is poo poo with the corn picked out.

That's all.

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007

Hiro Protagonist posted:

What would you all say to this problem?

Read Storm of Swords. It's the best book in the series. Read the wiki if you can't remember little details from the other books.

quote:

Is asoiaf and Game of Thrones just not for me, or is it worth its flaws?

You'll know the answer once you've read SoS.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Didn't GRRM always say that if he dies, no more books get made?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

esperterra posted:

Didn't GRRM always say that if he dies, no more books get made?

He went further to say he wants his notes burned iirc.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yeah, that's what I recall.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

If we can ignore Kafka's wishes regarding his work after his death, we drat well can ignore Martin's.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It really depends on his wife more than anything else I'd think, whoever will own those notes after the gurm bites it will know they're worth tens of millions of dollars and the wishes of dead people might seem less important when they aren't there to make a fuss about it.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I imagine whatever he's already written will be published as is so we'll be able to read The Winds of Winter as a novella.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
TWOW will be released within the next 18 months or so, I'm pretty sure.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

July 2017 is still the pencilled in release date.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

He noted that he's having a meeting with his publisher and editor while traveling to NY. That's pretty much what precipitated him getting locked in a room and forced to finish Dance, so this may be that situation all over again.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Zephyrine posted:

Maybe they can hire Brandon Sanderson to finish it after GRRM dies and the network gives the person who inherits the rights a briefcase of money.

HBO should give Sanderson some money and buy the rights to Legion. At least we know he'd write them enough material for that.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Amoeba102 posted:

July 2017 is still the pencilled in release date.

What happened to October of this year? Within the last month this was the rumor?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Krinkle posted:

What happened to October of this year? Within the last month this was the rumor?

When that rumor popped up gurm made a blog post saying people shouldn't believe release date rumors unless they come from official sources, i figured that was that for that particular rumor.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It really depends on his wife more than anything else I'd think, whoever will own those notes after the gurm bites it will know they're worth tens of millions of dollars and the wishes of dead people might seem less important when they aren't there to make a fuss about it.

Aren't they already archived at some random university? I highly doubt they would destroy anything.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
If the show is going to have the same ending as the books, as many people say, couldn't someone after GRRM dies read the books and finish off with the show? It wouldn't be quite the same, but I would be an ending.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I think his legacy would last longer if the series went on partially completed.

But once he is in the ground then his wife wouldn't even be able to claim any moral high ground from destroying anything and preventing it from being finished.

If she's a little clever she will sell the rights for piles of money. If she's really clever she will retain the rights and milk them for all their worth for the remainder of her life.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

geeves posted:

Aren't they already archived at some random university? I highly doubt they would destroy anything.

No those are the original manuscripts, they contain some footnotes and the occasional blurb relating to future events but they're not "his notes".

That is, the manuscript for AGOT contained a short blurb outlining some of his original plans for the series, most of which has become irrelevant once he started working on ACOK and ASOS and decided he's not writing a trilogy anymore, stuff like Arya being infatuated with Jon and them winding up together and poo poo like that, but there's nothing there relating to an up to date outline of events post ADWD.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Hiro Protagonist posted:

If the show is going to have the same ending as the books, as many people say, couldn't someone after GRRM dies read the books and finish off with the show? It wouldn't be quite the same, but I would be an ending.

Hey after you eat this pizza it's just going to become poo poo so why don't I just hand you a pile of poo poo and cut out the middleman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
So what if Winds of Winter is released this century? The show will finish before the books - possibly even before the next book is out - and, well, the fourth book is half a book that is long and boring and the fifth book is half a book that is long and boring and cuts out the end and is badly in need of an editor. Based on that, why would anyone want to look at the poo poo smeared pages that are the sixth book(let)?