Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

chaoslord posted:

My nerdiest thing is probably how seriously I treat refereeing sports. I participate in message boards to discuss games and I have unironically made an effort to watch specific games more because "I wonder how the referee is going to handle this one" than any interest in the teams involved. The day my wife hits six figures is the day I leave my corporate job to focus on my future refereeing career (only half joking).

In the more typical nerd stuff, I studied engineering in college, I try to hold regular board game nights for "heavier" board games, I went to every Magic the Gathering pre-release that happened while I was in high school (complete with the sleepover the night before at my friends house cause his dad had a mini van that could pack all of us in to take us that morning), and I spend way too much time playing management games like Football Manager or Out of the Park baseball. They are more spreadsheet than actual video game but they match my want to optimize pretty well, although I am terrible at them.

there's a pretty interesting dialog going on in the netrunner community right now because they're going to move over to an actual judging system to resolve tournament misplays, but there's a significant contingent of people who think that conflict should be resolved at an individual level whenever possible and having a judge program discourages that.

i think it's important to have rules structures for when conflict can't be resolved at an individual level.

in other news a guy from our netrunner scene is now the netrunner national champion. i wish i could say i was surprised but he's a complete monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

i like the rifts rpg ...... one day i'm going to the palladium open house ... likely the 2017 one

i win this nerd off

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I have a certain respect for Rifts, in that when it is completely insane, it is a fairly singular voice. gently caress trying to actually run combat in it, though.

I basically slot it in with Synnibarr and SenZar, category-wise.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
hello i skipped 400 posts, any new games open?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

check the op

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

uranus posted:

hello i skipped 400 posts, any new games open?

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Ernie. posted:

i like the rifts rpg ...... one day i'm going to the palladium open house ... likely the 2017 one

i win this nerd off
I played Rifts as much as I did D&D growing up not sure about palladium open house but I am edging closer in this nerd off.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
I am too poor to be a true nerd, nerddom is a consumption culture.

However, as a teenager, I used to write legislation for fun.

I just moved into a new apartment and unpacked my board games first.

I spend at least an hour, if not usually much more, every single day reading books for fun.

How did I do.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 27, 2020

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Can I have a lunch?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
spamalot is the only musical ive seen live

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

EccoRaven posted:

the nerdiest thing I do is run mafia games and take them Very Seriously. aside from that I'm a fairly ordinary person.

If any of you get the chance to see Book of Mormon I highly recommend it, it is very funny. It's like a less-deliberately-gross South Park, but with a lot of genuine affection for its characters. It's clear my hypothesis (that Stone and Parker always just wanted to do musicals instead of dumb cartoons but need to pay the bills) is probably correct. I definitely understand why it won the Tony, though I also saw Spamalot back when it was first on Broadway and I think that's still my favorite musical in my heart of hearts.

Also thread I am very happy. The better stalker will know why but I just want to say that I am having an amazing weekend. Tomorrow I am scheduled to get three lunches, though, and that's going to hurt, so my trip back home might be a lot less pleasant in the next 12 hours, but what can you do.

Saw Book of Mormon in NY two years ago, I agree was really funny.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Book of Mormon is going to be in a lot of near to me areas in November and December so I'm planning to go see it before the end of the year. I've been hearing for so long that it's fantastic, I just need to plan a day and say "I'm definitely going to see it this day."

A fun story: The musical premiered while I was serving as a missionary. Around Christmas time, the mission had a zone conference to just get everyone together and have a bit of fun. We played a few games and then there was a talent show. Well, a few elders thought it would be a fun idea to perform a song from the musical. Our mission president was not too pleased. I thought it was pretty funny.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

No No, Ecco. I mean you're eating 3 lunches. Can you send one to me. You'll surely have eaten enough.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
pls join asiina's game if you have a heart

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i'm not sure video games are my thing, i've lost the love

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I LARP and go to gaming conventions. It's me. I'm the biggest nerd.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
join asiina's game meinberg

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I have been to PAX many, many times.

I wrote fanfiction in middle school and early high school. Anime fanfiction.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sounds like some inuyasha poo poo

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
I've played Shadowrun (on the table and over skype), collected basically every rare NA released ps1 RPG (a rather specific catagory, but a lot of good ones), lots of D&D, MTG, netrunner, munchikin, assorted board games, and have written an FAQ for a fairly obscure roguelike on DS. It's on gamefaqs if you feel like hunting for further proof of my nerdness.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

imgay posted:

Sounds like some inuyasha poo poo

No way.

2x1 and 2x5 4 lyfe.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remember in elementary school, I was supposed to write an essay and it turned out to be a space jam fan fiction about me hanging out with michael jordan and teaching him how many feet were in a mile because I smuggly just learned that fact.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
If you think about it, most fiction is just fanfiction, but just with all OCs.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Asiina posted:

This is not particularly nerdy (I think) but your comment reminded me of this.

When I was 15, I wrote a choose your own adventure story for my friends, that was probably about 50 pages long, that consisted of nothing much more than extremely graphic sex followed by death (yours, your lovers or both). I underestimated it's popularity and it got passed around to all the girls in my year and I briefly became very cool because all of a sudden people thought I had some mysterious sex life they knew nothing about.

Unfortunately I had just read too many Danielle Steele novels and had an overactive imagination.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
fv, you should join asiina's game

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
I said I would if someone would make up a cool role for me.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Asiina posted:

I wrote several MiSTings in high school. MiSTings are taking bad fanfiction and giving it the MST3K treatment, where you quote the original story and then write play dialogue that makes fun of it around the quotes.

However I decided I didn't want to use the MST3k characters so the people trapped on a space station watching these terrible fanfics were Ash from Pokémon, Robo from Chrono Trigger, and Zelgadis from the Slayers anime.

Who knows.

I have two of them printed out, the rest I would have to go onto my ancient Performa to pull them up on AOL cause that was the text editor I used, for some reason. I haven't read them since I was in high school. Also I printed them out so a girl I wanted to impress could read them. (In my defense, she was a nerd too and I think she read both of them and wrote some comments.)

I was a big nerd then and now :v:

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Almost my entire life revolves around nerdy things. Reading, Gaming(P&P, Board, Video), Movies, etc. Even work-stuff, SQL databases are pretty nerdy. I also help run the local user group for it, organize yearly conferences, speak, etc.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Runaktla posted:

Ok list your nerdiest stuff you do...

I played D&D until my late teens.
I played MUDs from my early teens to my late 20s.
I played Eve, Battlefield 2 and Counterstrike throughout my mid to late 20s.
I do a monthly board game night.

I'm sure I got one or two other things but that's what sticks.

I have friends that know this well and other friends where I pretend I'm cool all the time that don't know this, except maybe board game night.

Funny story: Every summer growing up, my parents would take me to stay at my cousin's house while they went off to Florida/on a cruise/wherever. At his house, he had almost every video game console and a bunch of really obscure board games, neither of which I had any opportunity to play at home. I also got to stay up late and watch cartoons with him, usually Inyuasha or some weird show about high school anime girls. During these shows, I would ask a lot of questions and he would go into agonizing detail about whatever I asked about. If he was in a good mood, he would even let me read the ~~original manga~~ version of the program to clarify. He was also into WWE, but I never stuck around to watch it with him. It seemed gross to me.

I thought he was one of the coolest people in the world, but eventually, my parents stopped leaving me at his house because I got old enough to care for myself while they were gone.

A few years ago, I went to a family reunion and saw him again. It wasn't until we started talking that I suddenly registered just how stereotypically goony this guy was. I still consider him a nice guy and appreciate the role he played in exposing me to new things, but seeing him again suddenly forced all my memories into a weird context. From what I can tell from his Facebook page, he's taking Japanese classes at a nearby college and just got a promotion with Wal-Mart.

Anyways, the nerdiest things I do are:
- Play video games (Crusader Kings 2, The Long Dark, Fallout: New Vegas, etc.)
- Participate in a book club
- Really into musical theatref

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Aug 3, 2015

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I said I would if someone would make up a cool role for me.

lightning rod pgo

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

QuoProQuid posted:

Funny story: Every summer growing up, my parents would take me to stay at my cousin's house while they went off to Florida/on a cruise/wherever. At his house, he had almost every video game console and a bunch of really obscure board games, neither of which I had any opportunity to play at home. I also got to stay up late and watch cartoons with him, usually Inyuasha or some weird show about high school anime girls. During these shows, I would ask a lot of questions and he would go into agonizing detail about whatever I asked about. If he was in a good mood, he would even let me read the ~~original manga~~ version of the program to clarify. He was also into WWE, but I never stuck around to watch it with him. It seemed gross to me.

I thought he was one of the coolest people in the world, but eventually, my parents stopped leaving me at his house because I got old enough to care for myself while they were gone.

A few years ago, I went to a family reunion and saw him again. It wasn't until we started talking that I suddenly registered just how stereotypically goony this guy was. I still consider him a nice guy and appreciate the role he played in exposing me to new things, but seeing him again suddenly forced all my memories into a weird context. From what I can tell from his Facebook page, he's taking Japanese classes at a nearby college and just got a promotion with Wal-Mart.

Anyways, the nerdiest things I do are:
- Play video games (Crusader Kings 2, The Long Dark, Fallout: New Vegas, etc.)
- Participate in a book club
- Really into musical theatref

Being the friendly goony relative is my destiny.

I know my place. *dons fedora, clutches katana*

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Should nerds have rights?

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

No

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Nerds should have all rights except the right to bear arms. If anybody gets really into guns they are declared a nerd and their guns are seized.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

CCKeane posted:

Nerds should have all rights except the right to bear arms. If anybody gets really into guns they are declared a nerd and their guns are seized.

I agree no one should have guns.

If you want to hunt use a bow and arrow or a crossbow or a sword or a bow that shoots swords.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Magnus Gallant posted:

I agree no one should have guns.

If you want to hunt use a bow and arrow or a crossbow or a sword or a bow that shoots swords.

I always have my guns with me. *flexes, kisses biceps*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

CCKeane posted:

I always have my guns with me. *flexes, kisses biceps*

My japanese katana would slice your guns into two halves with no effort.