Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I been watching some old videos and I guess it was always destined that Brad would become a hefty boy. "My God! She brought in a veritable smorgasbord of alcoholic beverages!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That was the funniest thing they've done since...well since Brad pretended he was a sentient hamburger for two hours straight.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In Training posted:

That was the funniest thing they've done since...well since Brad pretended he was a sentient hamburger for two hours straight.

lmao

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Jeff is one of the few people who I'm glad he grew a bunch of facial hair like that because he looks hosed up in like 2012.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Now when he's looking crazy he looks awesomely crazy, rather than like a clean cut punk rear end just playing around.

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

Wormskull posted:

Now when he's looking crazy he looks awesomely crazy, rather than like a clean cut punk rear end just playing around.

yea

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=233-ChH7T6Q

21 minute mark

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Dan beat Xaviers rear end but good and forced him to eat a hotdog burger slathered in mayonnaise, lol.
Dan is still the best Bomber.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like the live videos of Brad pretending to not want to spend 40+ dollars to watch a number in his Dota 2 inventory climb higher .

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In Training posted:

I like the live videos of Brad pretending to not want to spend 40+ dollars to watch a number in his Dota 2 inventory climb higher .

It was epic how insanely desperate he was while trying to come off as only ironically desperate. I kept thinking he was at a buffet trying not to eat 6 plates of crap in front of his friend's girlfriends or something.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Xavier Woods is God drat epic.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Brad singing Magic - "Rude" in the shower

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

lmfao

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Dear Drew,

I want to say this on behalf of all of us; you're doing great. I know you perceive us commenters as being commenters, and for good reason. In the past people have overly scrutinized your playstyle, and expressed vocal and unnecessary frustration with you for playing a videogame the way you happen to be playing a videogame. I cannot disagree more. The majority of the fun in this series is derived from your uninformed antics. More importantly, there's no wrong way to play a videogame, especially with gameplay as diverse as this, as long as you're having fun.

Therein lies the rub; these people don't see you having fun. They want so badly for you to enjoy MGS and all its imperceptible, unintelligible intricacies, and yet I worry their overbearing scrutiny is negatively affecting your enjoyment of these games.

Of course, none of this would be a problem for anyone if people like me stopped worrying about whether or not people like you enjoy things that people like me enjoy, but, still.

You've mentioned people's comments repeatedly during this series, your words always dripping with disdain, and I cannot blame you for that. You've also mentioned on the bombcast that you'd enjoy playing MGS5 more on your own, and frankly, Icouldn't agree more. People's viewership makes stressful gameplay doubly stressful, this is a phenomenon frequently encountered on this site and sites abroad. I'd imagine said stressful people's viewership becomes double-doublystressful with said people nagging about how you should be doing this or not missing that, all the time, on Twitter, en Tumblr, Etcetera...There have been some seriously deplorable things said on this site in the name of your Metal GearGame. All's told I'm quite sad that we're making you so anxious, because, I feel, the whole idea is to make you less anxious.

No matter how bad it gets, try to understand that we all just want you to stop being frustrated, so much so that it's making us frustrated, which is making you frustrated- it's a terrible cycle, but an easy enough one to break. Hopefully, I can help.

I feel your issue with MGS stems from an innate mistrust of this series, its' core gameplay loop, and ultimately, an inability to develop gameplay fundamentals, all through no fault of your own. Gameplay scenarios that most of us, not under scrutiny, would approach with glee and and a willingness to experiment, you approach with apprehension, because you still don't know what to expect. In three and a half games, you've yet to get comfortable with the ins and outs of metal gear, and that ain't your fault.

MGS is a series that should absolutely be played by yourself, on your own time. It's core gameplay loop - careful, stealthy exploration of a 'dangerous' gameplay environment and the unorthodox ways you can interact with it - is one that demands repetition, patience, quiet reflection, and most importantly, experimentation. All of these factors are entirely antithetical to the time constrained peace-meal nature of your MGS playthroughs. From minute one, you've done your best to make these videos as enjoyable and as viewer friendly as possible, ultimately to the detriment of your enjoyment, and thus viewer enjoyment, of these games/videos. Rather than allow yourself the time to try every weapon/item and its' myriad of uses, rather than allow yourself the time to get a sense of the Guards' level of intelligence and capacity for abuse, rather than allow yourself the time to even press all the buttons and try all the things, (Drew, you can turn on auto-aim by pressing square, you can lie on your back by pressing triangle, you can dodge-roll by pres-) rather than allow yourself the time to get a feel for CQC or even attempt a single successful holdup, you've repeatedly chosen to push forward, come hell or high water or lack of fun, time and time again, because this is a video series and people aren't going to want to watch that. Single failed attempts at using a new piece of gear is met with a resigned, "Well, I guess I'll never try that again!". Of course that's a perfectly valid sentiment, provided said sentiment derives from a disinterest in that avenue of gameplay rather than a lack of understanding thereof.

And again, none of this is your fault! With less-than-zero tutorialization, with less-than-zero time to try and try these gameplay methods again and again, with days or weeks or sometimes months between recording sessions, with hundreds if not thousands of viewers badgering you all day about how best to do this or that, you're simply unable to retain the information this game expects you to interpret, and understandably unwilling. You don't want to be bothered with reviewing, because this is all painful anyway and you just want to get it over with.

Drew, we WANT TO watch you learn.

I feel I can speak for all your viewers when I say that the most enjoyment I've derived from watching you play Metal Gear, in all three games, was watching you take out The End. That quiet, confident, masterful execution of the core stealth gameplay, that's all we've ever wanted to see. We want you to experiment, we want you to struggle, we want you to uncover the multitudes of ridiculous easter eggs and gameplay intricacies that these games offer, because frankly, that's all they offer. The old-school stealth gameplay and the lackluster shooting controls, these are set-dressings for the ultimate draw; sheer madness hiding within something familiar. I'm not talking about the lovely cutscenes, I'm talking about the fact that, just a week ago, when I picked up MGS4 again for the fifth or sixth playthrough (thanks to you guys) I found out about countless gameplay elements I never knew about. I didn't know you could play dead as the soldiers walked past, I didn't know you could override soldiers' nanomachine control by playing to their specific emotions and breaking them down, I didn't know you could make the lady ninja soldiers dance by playing the anime song on your iPod, every step of the way I was finding new and novel gameplay in an eight year old game; for us to expect you to enjoy all of it at once, at such a breakneck pace, it was fallacy from the beginning. A highway to frustration.

So, again, how do you stop this? Just, slow down! take your time, experiment. In a podcast you once said you were a spontaneous person; the sort that says, "heck, I don't have anything better to do right now. sure, I'll go to ____!" Try to tap into that curiosity within yourself. Don't fear this game. Every aspect of it that makes you anxious is one that you could engage in with creativity and excitement, if only you could conquer your fear.

Or, just read the manual! I didn't know this about this game until this latest playthrough (another eight-year-old surprise) but there is a beautifully informative 'manga' that serves as the game's manual on the Greatest Hits version of the PS3 game. I scanned the whole dang thing and you can view it here!

OR, you can just view the attached pic, which is, frankly, the ONLY THING YOU NEED TO LOOK AT IN THIS WHOLE WALL OF TEXT.

Either way. you've been doing a wonderful job of not letting people's scrutiny get to you in this playthrough, and thanks to that mentality your gameplay has improved immensely. Ultimately, our comments about what to do and what to press and where to go, it's only so that you can enjoy these teeny-tiny details that you could never hope to find out, because, heck, it took us eight years to! again, the only wrong way to play a video game is to not enjoy it.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I hope that guy gets chopped into one million pieces by Raiden's epic sword.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Wormskull posted:

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

source your quotes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wormskull posted:

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I never care about how these guys play video games, Metal Gear Scanlon especially bc there's a million ways to do everything, but I seriously had a throbbing vein in my temple watching Drew in the turret sequence repeatedly shoot the Gekko's in the toe for 6 minutes straight complaining about nothing happening, when he accidentally shot one in the head and it exploded instantly and he didnt notice.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

I never care about how these guys play video games, Metal Gear Scanlon especially bc there's a million ways to do everything, but I seriously had a throbbing vein in my temple watching Drew in the turret sequence repeatedly shoot the Gekko's in the toe for 6 minutes straight complaining about nothing happening, when he accidentally shot one in the head and it exploded instantly and he didnt notice.

lol

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I didn't read it but metal gear fans are dumb so whatcha gonna do

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Therein lies the rub.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

Therein lies the rub.

lmfao

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I like how that dude waited until the latest episode was posted so he could firstpost snipe with that wall of text for maximum attention

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Huge fan of Drew saying "uh? Zuh? Wuh?" along with Otacon and the guards in every cutscene

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Alex Navarro: *short pause* He's basically the progenitor of Weird Twitter.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I got irritated watching Drew fight The Fury cause he didn't even try shooting him from the front. Think for yourself, wake up America.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Daniel Bryan is epic as hell... Plus, I want to pork his girlfriend.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Wormskull posted:

Daniel Bryan is epic as hell... Plus, I want to pork his girlfriend.

May I see.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

shes on raw every week dude

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

In Training posted:

Alex Navarro: *short pause* He's basically the progenitor of Weird Twitter.

lol

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

In Training posted:

oh my god i know

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Wormskull posted:

Dear Drew,

I want to say this on behalf of all of us; you're doing great. I know you perceive us commenters as being commenters, and for good reason. In the past people have overly scrutinized your playstyle, and expressed vocal and unnecessary frustration with you for playing a videogame the way you happen to be playing a videogame. I cannot disagree more. The majority of the fun in this series is derived from your uninformed antics. More importantly, there's no wrong way to play a videogame, especially with gameplay as diverse as this, as long as you're having fun.

Therein lies the rub; these people don't see you having fun. They want so badly for you to enjoy MGS and all its imperceptible, unintelligible intricacies, and yet I worry their overbearing scrutiny is negatively affecting your enjoyment of these games.

Of course, none of this would be a problem for anyone if people like me stopped worrying about whether or not people like you enjoy things that people like me enjoy, but, still.

You've mentioned people's comments repeatedly during this series, your words always dripping with disdain, and I cannot blame you for that. You've also mentioned on the bombcast that you'd enjoy playing MGS5 more on your own, and frankly, Icouldn't agree more. People's viewership makes stressful gameplay doubly stressful, this is a phenomenon frequently encountered on this site and sites abroad. I'd imagine said stressful people's viewership becomes double-doublystressful with said people nagging about how you should be doing this or not missing that, all the time, on Twitter, en Tumblr, Etcetera...There have been some seriously deplorable things said on this site in the name of your Metal GearGame. All's told I'm quite sad that we're making you so anxious, because, I feel, the whole idea is to make you less anxious.

No matter how bad it gets, try to understand that we all just want you to stop being frustrated, so much so that it's making us frustrated, which is making you frustrated- it's a terrible cycle, but an easy enough one to break. Hopefully, I can help.

I feel your issue with MGS stems from an innate mistrust of this series, its' core gameplay loop, and ultimately, an inability to develop gameplay fundamentals, all through no fault of your own. Gameplay scenarios that most of us, not under scrutiny, would approach with glee and and a willingness to experiment, you approach with apprehension, because you still don't know what to expect. In three and a half games, you've yet to get comfortable with the ins and outs of metal gear, and that ain't your fault.

MGS is a series that should absolutely be played by yourself, on your own time. It's core gameplay loop - careful, stealthy exploration of a 'dangerous' gameplay environment and the unorthodox ways you can interact with it - is one that demands repetition, patience, quiet reflection, and most importantly, experimentation. All of these factors are entirely antithetical to the time constrained peace-meal nature of your MGS playthroughs. From minute one, you've done your best to make these videos as enjoyable and as viewer friendly as possible, ultimately to the detriment of your enjoyment, and thus viewer enjoyment, of these games/videos. Rather than allow yourself the time to try every weapon/item and its' myriad of uses, rather than allow yourself the time to get a sense of the Guards' level of intelligence and capacity for abuse, rather than allow yourself the time to even press all the buttons and try all the things, (Drew, you can turn on auto-aim by pressing square, you can lie on your back by pressing triangle, you can dodge-roll by pres-) rather than allow yourself the time to get a feel for CQC or even attempt a single successful holdup, you've repeatedly chosen to push forward, come hell or high water or lack of fun, time and time again, because this is a video series and people aren't going to want to watch that. Single failed attempts at using a new piece of gear is met with a resigned, "Well, I guess I'll never try that again!". Of course that's a perfectly valid sentiment, provided said sentiment derives from a disinterest in that avenue of gameplay rather than a lack of understanding thereof.

And again, none of this is your fault! With less-than-zero tutorialization, with less-than-zero time to try and try these gameplay methods again and again, with days or weeks or sometimes months between recording sessions, with hundreds if not thousands of viewers badgering you all day about how best to do this or that, you're simply unable to retain the information this game expects you to interpret, and understandably unwilling. You don't want to be bothered with reviewing, because this is all painful anyway and you just want to get it over with.

I feel I can speak for all your viewers when I say that the most enjoyment I've derived from watching you play Metal Gear, in all three games, was watching you take out The End. That quiet, confident, masterful execution of the core stealth gameplay, that's all we've ever wanted to see. We want you to experiment, we want you to struggle, we want you to uncover the multitudes of ridiculous easter eggs and gameplay intricacies that these games offer, because frankly, that's all they offer. The old-school stealth gameplay and the lackluster shooting controls, these are set-dressings for the ultimate draw; sheer madness hiding within something familiar. I'm not talking about the lovely cutscenes, I'm talking about the fact that, just a week ago, when I picked up MGS4 again for the fifth or sixth playthrough (thanks to you guys) I found out about countless gameplay elements I never knew about. I didn't know you could play dead as the soldiers walked past, I didn't know you could override soldiers' nanomachine control by playing to their specific emotions and breaking them down, I didn't know you could make the lady ninja soldiers dance by playing the anime song on your iPod, every step of the way I was finding new and novel gameplay in an eight year old game; for us to expect you to enjoy all of it at once, at such a breakneck pace, it was fallacy from the beginning. A highway to frustration.

So, again, how do you stop this? Just, slow down! take your time, experiment. In a podcast you once said you were a spontaneous person; the sort that says, "heck, I don't have anything better to do right now. sure, I'll go to ____!" Try to tap into that curiosity within yourself. Don't fear this game. Every aspect of it that makes you anxious is one that you could engage in with creativity and excitement, if only you could conquer your fear.

Or, just read the manual! I didn't know this about this game until this latest playthrough (another eight-year-old surprise) but there is a beautifully informative 'manga' that serves as the game's manual on the Greatest Hits version of the PS3 game. I scanned the whole dang thing and you can view it here!

OR, you can just view the attached pic, which is, frankly, the ONLY THING YOU NEED TO LOOK AT IN THIS WHOLE WALL OF TEXT.

Either way. you've been doing a wonderful job of not letting people's scrutiny get to you in this playthrough, and thanks to that mentality your gameplay has improved immensely. Ultimately, our comments about what to do and what to press and where to go, it's only so that you can enjoy these teeny-tiny details that you could never hope to find out, because, heck, it took us eight years to! again, the only wrong way to play a video game is to not enjoy it.

people are insane psychos

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

Wormskull posted:

Dear Drew,

- Austin 'Bigger Boss' Walker

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5dzAs3WToo

dan is the best / worst

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

god

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009