Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Captain Bravo posted:

I finally got the kinks worked out of my propane torch assembly today, and I celebrated by vizzling some beef ribs then finishing them off with the torch. It was definitely some of the best beef I've ever put in my mouth.

What temp/time did you use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Shadowed Bacon posted:

I found this PID on amazon $30:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V4TJR00?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A1T3LOAKNUUM9N

Looks fine, even if it only has a few reviews, I'll grab one and if it's crap I can try to build my own (or just say hell with and buy the dorkfood).

I think I'm gonna go ahead and build my own (any thoughts on my last post, thread?). That thing looks tempting for just doing regular sous vide, but the 880 watt max output would kill it for the homebrewing application I also had in mind, which is a 2000W draw.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Aug 3, 2015

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Choadmaster posted:

Did myself that a few weeks ago and it worked out well. I sautéed some onions and then added a little beer, and threw that in the bag with some bratwursts. Also did some Italian sausages, and I sautéed some bell pepper and onion along with some apple cider vinegar, a couple tablespoons of sugar, and a few herbs and put that all in the bag. Afterwards I grilled the sausages a bit to crisp them up and served with the onions and stuff from the bag.

Mine came out amazingly juicy but unpleasantly mushy, I think I'm gonna try it again at higher temp (did chicken sausages at 140 for a few hours then seared the next day)

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I think I'm gonna go ahead and build my own (any thoughts on my last post, thread?). That thing looks tempting for just doing regular sous vide, but the 880 watt max output would kill it for the homebrewing application I also had in mind, which is a 2000W draw.

ah, good catch. most general cooking appliances seem to be 1000w. there's an Instructable I found (using the same PID) that uses a hacked fist tank warmer, but this immersion drink warmer looks good:

http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Immersion-Heater-Portable-Beverage/dp/B000VK0DRY/ref=pd_bxgy_60_img_z

according to a reviewer you just have to be careful not to plug it in when it's not in water. Anyone with other options/thoughts on less than 880w heaters?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Choadmaster posted:

What temp/time did you use?

Roughly 2 hours at 65 C.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

I am getting a good amount of rust in general I think.

I emailed support. they are sending me a new screw/strap assuming some sort of contamination in the band on there.

SanSaire Support posted:

Thanks for reaching out. I have only heard of this happening once before, and I am happy to send you a replacement band and screw. It’s possible that a very small amount of metal from outside of the Sansaire got stuck in the band area, since rust does not originate on the grade of steel in the Sansaire, it only accumulates. With a new band and screw this should not happen a second time.
Would you mind sending me your address so I can send you a new band and screw? Regarding cleaning off the current rust on the coils, I suggest using the technique explained on page 16 of the user manual.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I skimmed the thread, but I can't find it: someone posted t&t for ribs that were tender but not falling off. Anyone have experience to share?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

I skimmed the thread, but I can't find it: someone posted t&t for ribs that were tender but not falling off. Anyone have experience to share?
here's a chart that lists times and temps(optimal temps mostly) for various meat types

MasterFugu posted:

here's a chart from chefsteps that lists temperatures for sous vide: http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/sous-vide-time-and-temperature-guide

there's also a printable one halfway down the page.

Elizabethan Error fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 3, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MasterFugu posted:

here's a chart that lists times and temps(optimal temps mostly) for various meat types

Thanks -- would you consider ribs to be a tough cut? What doneness would you target for tender-but-not-falling-apart?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Captain Bravo posted:

Roughly 2 hours at 65 C.

That seems like it wouldn't be a long enough cook for beef ribs. But I'll give it a shot next time I get ahold of some good beef ribs.

Jarmak posted:

Mine came out amazingly juicy but unpleasantly mushy, I think I'm gonna try it again at higher temp (did chicken sausages at 140 for a few hours then seared the next day)

I think I did mine at 145 (I really should write this stuff down when I do it). Maybe a few hours is too long. An hour seems like it should be enough.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Choadmaster posted:

I think I did mine at 145 (I really should write this stuff down when I do it). Maybe a few hours is too long. An hour seems like it should be enough.

Pasteurization time for a 145° bath is going to be an hour and a half from cold and there's nothing gain from going longer than that for sausage.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Choadmaster posted:

That seems like it wouldn't be a long enough cook for beef ribs. But I'll give it a shot next time I get ahold of some good beef ribs.

They were boneless chuck short ribs, and fairly small cuts at that.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

Pasteurization time for a 145° bath is going to be an hour and a half from cold and there's nothing gain from going longer than that for sausage.

I know people on the Internet tend to exaggerate the size of their sausage, but seriously... You have to get to 2.25" in diameter before pasteurization time hits 1.5 hours at 145 degrees. That's some serious girth.

A 1" diameter sausage takes 32 minutes (pork) or a little under 38 minutes (chicken) to pasteurize (calculating with SousVideDash).

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Choadmaster posted:

I know people on the Internet tend to exaggerate the size of their sausage, but seriously... You have to get to 2.25" in diameter before pasteurization time hits 1.5 hours at 145 degrees. That's some serious girth.

A 1" diameter sausage takes 32 minutes (pork) or a little under 38 minutes (chicken) to pasteurize (calculating with SousVideDash).

I was going by this table with a 1.25" sausage. But I guess maybe that table is measuring from the center? Doesn't seem to say.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

I was going by this table with a 1.25" sausage. But I guess maybe that table is measuring from the center? Doesn't seem to say.

Hmm, those times seem way off. Once meat hits 145 it should be pasteurized in less than 15 minutes (not to mention by then the process was partially done already while the meat was reaching that temp). And there's no way a sausage takes that long to reach 145 at the core. Next time I do them I'll have to stab them with a thermometer and see, but the numbers given by SousVideDash seem much more likely to me.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Thanks -- would you consider ribs to be a tough cut? What doneness would you target for tender-but-not-falling-apart?
Yes, and probably medium rare(68C/154f)

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Choadmaster posted:

Hmm, those times seem way off. Once meat hits 145 it should be pasteurized in less than 15 minutes (not to mention by then the process was partially done already while the meat was reaching that temp). And there's no way a sausage takes that long to reach 145 at the core. Next time I do them I'll have to stab them with a thermometer and see, but the numbers given by SousVideDash seem much more likely to me.

Yeah, I know I've been linked to that site from here, but maybe it's wrong. Would be curious to hear from one of the more food-science knowledgeable people here if they want to offer an opinion.

MasterFugu posted:

Yes, and probably medium rare(68C/154f)

154 F for medium rare?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

154 F for medium rare?
for pork, yah.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

MasterFugu posted:

for pork, yah.

Try 144. 154 is a bit high.

I usually go here, they have not hosed me yet.

http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/sous-vide-time-and-temperature-guide

LorneReams fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 4, 2015

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MasterFugu posted:

for pork, yah.

Medium well maybe. I cook my pork to a (fda approved) final temp of 145.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

LorneReams posted:

That's where he sent me, and it shows 154F for medium-rare for tough cuts.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

LorneReams posted:

....that's where I got 154f from...

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I was quoting chefsteps' numbers directly, they're probably covering themselves a bit

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'd take Chef Steps' numbers with a grain of salt. Their 72 hour short rib was at 129°F and I found it to be insufficiently rendered.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

I'd take Chef Steps' numbers with a grain of salt. Their 72 hour short rib was at 129°F and I found it to be insufficiently rendered.
collagen renders at 140-160f, so it wouldn't be, but that's why it's the rare temp after all.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Steve Yun posted:

Keller does 132F for 72 hours. ChefSteps isn't some kind of Real Test Kitchen. Nor is Serious Eats(nowadays). Get back to reading Good Books written by Good Chefs people.

quote:

collagen renders at 70C/160f, so it wouldn't be, but that's why it's the rare temp after all.

Well, no, you're wrong.

Collagen can certainly liquefy at low temperatures, it just takes more time.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 4, 2015

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Haha I only did the sausages for two hours because I had to go out and left them in, I still think it's unlikely that a few hours at that low of temp caused any substantial tissue breakdown ( unless being ground massively changes the rate of that process).

Next time I'll pull em quicker to be safe though, still think my problem was the temp.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

That's the FDA temperature for a four minute hold. In their releases for public consumption that's what they've recently started quoting as `the' number---revising downward from I think 155, which is the <30 seconds temperature. In all cases the combination of time and temperature is what's required to achieve either a 6.5 log10 or 7.0 log10 reduction in the pathogens of interest for that kind of meat (which, in simple terms, is roughly what it takes to reduce the population of the critters by a factor of about ten million).

If you look at the FDA code, they actually give a table of internal temperatures and hold times, from 112 minutes @ 54.4 C/130 F to 70 C/158 F instantaneously.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Yeah, pretty much all the underlying processes you care about when cooking (well, if you care about the underlying processes at all) are probabilistic. Most have an upper and lower effective operating temperature (too low or too high and the activity drops off to nothing) but are highly variable in between. With something like denaturing collagen it's particularly complicated when you're doing meat s-v, because you get a lot of action due to the enzymatic activity of collagenase between 55 and 60 C, which typically isn't really much of a factor in `conventional' cooking (because of the relatively small amount of time the meat is likely to spend in that window).

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Everyone throwing their personal bibles around claiming this and that. This is why I'm an atheist. If God actually existed, he'd send Jesus down in His golden chariot pulled by the finest Wagyu cattle to explain to us in clear and simple terms exactly what time and temperature he intelligently designed those ribs for.

Why yes, I was part of this argument earlier. Why do you ask? ;)

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Choadmaster posted:

If God actually existed, he'd send Jesus down in His golden chariot pulled by the finest Wagyu cattle to explain to us in clear and simple terms exactly what time and temperature he intelligently designed those ribs for.

Right, that was why I was hoping SubG would enlighten us, but apparently we've been abandoned.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Has anyone tried to make their own searzall?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CrazySalamander posted:

Am I the only that appreciates a guy named salamander trying to make a handheld broiler

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

CrazySalamander posted:

What did you think I meant when I said

Captain Bravo posted:

I finally got the kinks worked out of my propane torch assembly today

:getin:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
When Dave Arnold was first doing proof-of-concept tests for the searzall, he was using a blowtorch and diffusing it with a mesh strainer. I did it that way myself before the searzall shipped, but it did get some sooty buildup which the searzall doesn't get. Also your mesh strainer will have a permanent black spot on it.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Awesome! Can we get some more details on that?

Am I the only that appreciates a guy named salamander trying to make a handheld broiler

:v:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Shadowed Bacon posted:

ah, good catch. most general cooking appliances seem to be 1000w. there's an Instructable I found (using the same PID) that uses a hacked fist tank warmer, but this immersion drink warmer looks good:

http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Immersion-Heater-Portable-Beverage/dp/B000VK0DRY/ref=pd_bxgy_60_img_z

according to a reviewer you just have to be careful not to plug it in when it's not in water. Anyone with other options/thoughts on less than 880w heaters?

I mean, I guess that would be fine if you want to do sous vide peas in a coffee cup? Here's a quote from one of the reviews:

quote:

110 volt heating affords only 125 watts of heating power, bringing a large cup of cool water to a simmer in twelve to 14 minutes.

I was looking at similar things (albeit higher power) for brewing, but stick heaters like that are apparently not generally food safe. Not an issue if your stuff is in bags for SV, but a dealbreaker for brewing unfortunately.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Keller does 132F for 72 hours. ChefSteps isn't some kind of Real Test Kitchen. Nor is Serious Eats(nowadays). Get back to reading Good Books written by Good Chefs people.

Well, no, you're wrong.

your link posted:

When you cook, collagen begins to melt at about 160F and turns to a rich liquid, gelatin. This gives meat a lot of flavor and a wonderful silky texture. When cooking it is important to liquify collagen.
NOTES: At 140°F changes are caused by the denaturing of collagen in the cells. Meat served at this temperature med-rare is changing from juicy to dry. At 160°F/ 70°C connective tissue collagen begins to dissolve to gelatin.
:geno:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
That page cites McGee's On Food and Cooking, which was originally written in 1984 (with a second edition in 2004), and therefore doesn't take into account the fact that a reader might be expecting to cook a piece of meat literally for several days at low temperature. McGee makes a lot of assumptions for the sake (I assume) of readability, which he---but roughly nobody who ever quotes him---is usually careful to qualify.

If you read a survey that cites more recent references, particularly one written with for an audience interested in s-v, you'll get different numbers. E.g., this article from Baldwin (which I quote mostly because it cites all the references):

Baldwin posted:

At lower temperatures (50 C/120 F to 65 C/150 F), Bouton and Harris (1981) found that tough cuts of beef (from animals 0–4 years old) were the most tender when cooked to between 55 C/131 F and 60 C/140 F. Cooking the beef for 24 hours at these temperatures significantly increased its tenderness (with shear forces decreasing 26%–72% compared to 1 hour of cooking). This tenderizing is caused by weakening of connective tissue and proteolytic enzymes decreasing myofibrillar tensile strength. Indeed, collagen begins to dissolve into gelatin above about 55 F/131 F (This, 2006). Moreover, the sarcoplasmic protein enzyme collagenase remains active below 60 C/140 F and can significantly tenderize the meat if held for more than 6 hours (Tornberg, 2005).
...with a bonus...

Baldwin posted:

The myofibrillar proteins (mostly myosin and actin) and the connective tissue proteins (mostly collagen) contract when heated, while the sarcoplasmic proteins expand when heated. For a non-technical discussion of muscle meat, see (McGee, 2004, Chap. 3); for a more technical discussion of muscle meat, see (Lawrie, 1998; Charley and Weaver, 1998; Belitz et al., 2004); for an excellent review article on the effects of heat on meat see (Tornberg, 2005).
...which turns out is pretty good advice.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

SubG posted:

That page cites McGee's On Food and Cooking, which was originally written in 1984 (with a second edition in 2004), and therefore doesn't take into account the fact that a reader might be expecting to cook a piece of meat literally for several days at low temperature. McGee makes a lot of assumptions for the sake (I assume) of readability, which he---but roughly nobody who ever quotes him---is usually careful to qualify.

If you read a survey that cites more recent references, particularly one written with for an audience interested in s-v, you'll get different numbers. E.g., this article from Baldwin (which I quote mostly because it cites all the references):

...with a bonus...

...which turns out is pretty good advice.
the abstract is an interesting read, though I'm left wondering if there's any studies that have been done on the liquefaction rate of collagen over time. CS's diagram was somewhat accurate in an aggregate sense but lacks fine detail.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Welp, my Anova (the older model) stopped heating the water today. Dropped some chicken in at 66C and when I got back from the gym it was at 50C (confirmed with a thermometer). Reached out to their customer support. Hope they can help.

That chicken went straight into the trash :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I was cooking some steak at 133 for a couple of days, and my power went out last night. I didn't know what to do, so I threw the still sealed meat immediately in the fridge. Is it safe to reheat and sear, or should I just throw it out? The power turned back on like an hour later.