Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Platystemon posted:

It looks to me like the numbers have consistent angular spacing, so the needle can turn the same as it would on a circular speedometer.

When do you need to know how fast you are going beyond a few mph accuracy anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Boat posted:

By song and dance, I mean those crazy key on-off + button pushing things you can do on some cars to disable traction control or whatever. Most people won't give a drat, but those who want to can have gauges that actually gauge things instead of idiot lights that happen to posses a needle for some reason.
My Audi A6 (C4) can display most OBD codes in the climate control panel by pressing two buttons and using the temp + and - keys to cycle through error codes and readouts (coolant temp in C, all air temp sensors, speed, airflow to the engine etc etc) it's how I found out that the reason the car wouldn't start after a breakdown was that it had a crankshaft sensor error code (indicating a timing error) which cuts fuel to the injectors and power to the plugs.

Gonna need VCDS to reset it though.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Jonny Nox posted:

When do you need to know how fast you are going beyond a few mph accuracy anyway?

When a few notorious neighborhood speedway/accident zones got permanent installations, it got me croggling my head around how strongly the readings deviated no matter how consistently I maintained 25mph (in this instance) on my dial.

Then again your driver's seat angle and height setting can change your perspective to the angled gauge and dial just like a sundial. Digital readouts take away the need for a constant director's eye for angle. With cruise control and GPS on the open highway you could suss out your car's own margin of error.

A speedometer's just a weather vane. Better than a windsock, not worth betting your life.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Xlorp posted:

When a few notorious neighborhood speedway/accident zones got permanent installations, it got me croggling my head around how strongly the readings deviated no matter how consistently I maintained 25mph (in this instance) on my dial.

Then again your driver's seat angle and height setting can change your perspective to the angled gauge and dial just like a sundial. Digital readouts take away the need for a constant director's eye for angle. With cruise control and GPS on the open highway you could suss out your car's own margin of error.

A speedometer's just a weather vane. Better than a windsock, not worth betting your life.

Part of that is also the MASSIVE temperature drift and surprisingly low accuracy you get on radar-based speed measuring devices.
It's even worse on ones that just give you a number and don't actually issue speeding fines, as those have no requirement to actually be properly calibrated.

The portable ones they roll out down here ('straya) often read over by 5+kph :(

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

dissss posted:

Trouble with that system is any given Peugeot is likely to have that lamp lit whether or not there is anything actually wrong.

In defence of mine it's never come on (yes the bulb does work) but my dad had a 308 that loved to die as you pulled up at junctions, the STOP lamp helpfully informing you that the engine has indeed stopped.

Platystemon posted:

It looks to me like the numbers have consistent angular spacing, so the needle can turn the same as it would on a circular speedometer.

Bingo, got to ride in a rental one once and it works like this. The numbers get closer and further away from the needle, which should come as a great aid to your average Rover driver, but the needles do at least point to the right place.

As for the warning lights, it's clearly that your Life Clock hasn't been lit for long enough to own a Rover and you must return to the city for a different car.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

spog posted:

Okay pop quiz. What's do these icons mean?

The clues I will give you:

Rover 75
Appeared 1 hour after I bought the car from a dealer, when I was performing an emergency stop (wanted to test the brakes). I released the brake pedal, the front rose back up, the icons appeared
Stayed lit for the rest of journey home (3miles)
Doesn't appear in the users handbook anywhere.
Isn't the Top Gear logo next to the Cat in the Hat's hat.

These icons means you copied and cropped the picture from this page on retrofitting a traffic warning system to a Rover 75?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Why?

:psyduck:

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
TRAFFIC MASTER

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Ferremit posted:

I can't ever see that working- Toyota deliberately dumbed down the temp gauges in their cars for YEARS because retards would see it fluctuate with engine load and outsid temp and freak out and call the dealer.

So we ended up with a gauge that shows normal temp from 60-100 degrees c and only starts to move into the red when the temps already hit 120 and climbing

See also: obd2 BMW e36 3er. The OBD1 cars had a real gauge, but yuppies were buying the things and freaking out so the OBD2 cars are literally an overtemp idiot light. Anything above 12o clock is over 260F and if the high temp light does come on, the head gasket is very likely hosed.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
I was gonna post a pic of my stupid instrument cluster that has the engine warning light on, and still says "No Malfunctions" in the info screen, but it's turned the light off by itself.

Great success.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Xlorp posted:

Wait, are you saying a speedometer is better than a windsock or that a weather vane is better than a windsock. :psyduck:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

metaxus posted:

These icons means you copied and cropped the picture from this page on retrofitting a traffic warning system to a Rover 75?

Nicely googled.

Of course, the reason I had to steal a photo is that the logos don't appear anywhere in the user manuals, or anywhere that you would look when a pair of logos pop-up on the warning screen: which is great when one of them looks like a brake pad in a wheel and the other looks like a stability-related icon and so, look serious. (actually means 'got a signal' and 'no issues on road')

It as pure coincidence that they appeared during a brake test, but I sure as hell crawled home when they popped up, assuming that it was something serious.

After that, I stopped get mad at people who couldn't tell the difference between 'washer fluid is only half-full' and 'engine's on fire, yo'

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

The New England AI trade mission to southeast Asia is off to a great start.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

The OSHA-approved "turn your head to the side and squint" is being used by both the helpers, but the guy doing the actual grinding isn't even pretending like he wanted some safety gear for this job.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
He's on grinder operation because he's already blind.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Boat posted:

Wait, are you saying a speedometer is better than a windsock or that a weather vane is better than a windsock. :psyduck:
Parse it like this
Reliable and accurate speed measurement device + situational awareness >> relying solely on typical speedometer > weather vane >= wind sock

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Splizwarf posted:

He's on grinder operation because he's already blind.

Kinda wanna make a tinder/autocorrect joke here.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
But a wind sock tells direction and speed. A vane only shows direction. How is a weather vane better than a wind sock? This is important

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

But a wind sock tells direction and speed. A vane only shows direction. How is a weather vane better than a wind sock? This is important
How precise are the snaps and furls of a goonish sock? Do you really want to know how the sock maintains its stiffness and shape in full wind?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
So this happened on the way home from a rallycross. Ive never had a wheel bearing go from ok to failed in 200 miles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTQYEuc3WtE

Have the following in the mail:
1x wheel bearing
1x set of seals
1x snap ring
1x hub
1x cv axle
1x abs sensor
1x spindle

I really should have gotten it towed.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
While out running I found these spaced evenly over about 150' of curb. Hope the wheel has at least a few more holding fast.
http://imgur.com/NXuBQXo

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Mercury Ballistic posted:

While out running I found these spaced evenly over about 150' of curb. Hope the wheel has at least a few more holding fast.
http://imgur.com/NXuBQXo

that looks like someone got new lugnuts put on and never had them torqued for a second time. They look like the same ones discount tire put on both of my cars.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

The weather vane has an anemometer attached. Problem solved.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Sadi posted:

So this happened on the way home from a rallycross. Ive never had a wheel bearing go from ok to failed in 200 miles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTQYEuc3WtE

It was either a garbage bearing, didn't have enough grease, or wasn't torqued to proper spec. Or more than one of the above. I bought a ChinaPro wheel bearing for my outback a couple years ago, it lasted about 10 miles before doing that. Thankfully the rear bearings on the 3rd gens are units. The grease in the bearing after 10 miles was black and the whole thing was smoked. I don't know if they just resealed a defective part or what, but it was trash.

otaku69
May 18, 2003

spog posted:

Okay pop quiz. What's do these icons mean?

The clues I will give you:

Rover 75
Appeared 1 hour after I bought the car from a dealer, when I was performing an emergency stop (wanted to test the brakes). I released the brake pedal, the front rose back up, the icons appeared
Stayed lit for the rest of journey home (3miles)
Doesn't appear in the users handbook anywhere.
Isn't the Top Gear logo next to the Cat in the Hat's hat.

time machine Illuminati activated

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Alright who put that straw there? :crossarms:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hey kids, did you know that diffusers work by pulling themselves downward toward the ground with great force? That's why they are usually held on to the car by reasonably beefy fasteners!

This one was detached at the top and dragging along the ground. I about poo poo myself laughing

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Data Graham posted:

Hey kids, did you know that diffusers work by pulling themselves downward toward the ground with great force? That's why they are usually held on to the car by reasonably beefy fasteners!

This one was detached at the top and dragging along the ground. I about poo poo myself laughing

Judging from that road surface id say it got eaten alive by all the small debris/pebbles and poo poo.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Data Graham posted:

Hey, that's how the splash guard on the front of my Subaru is. I knew I was doing the racecar thing and not just being a lazy gently caress who can't order popits at the dealer.

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:

veedubfreak posted:

Is that the same car that was rear ended or is this a different 64?

This is a different one, here they are together:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

What car is that? I can't figure it out.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
458 with a liberty walk kit.

http://www.libertywalk.co.jp/page.php?id=68

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

MomJeans420 posted:

What car is that? I can't figure it out.

Looks like a Ferrari 458.

otaku69
May 18, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Looks like a Ferrari 458.

a horribly molested one

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

"Your reckless driving is disturbing the Sleeper in the Pyramid"

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

atomicthumbs posted:

"Your reckless driving is disturbing the Sleeper in the Pyramid"

The warning chime goes "ia! ia!" and makes mad dogs and Englishmen flee in terror.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Splizwarf posted:

The warning chime goes "ia! ia!" and makes mad dogs and Englishmen flee in terror.

i! i! Roveri fhtagn.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Roveri N'glan wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010
Snagged from a buddy's facebook-