Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Pellisworth posted:

You should be aware that rulers with higher stats are more likely to die, so while it may be bad luck the game mechanics will also kill them off faster.
Note: this is a joke.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Sindai posted:

Note: this is a joke.

confirmation bias is a hell of a drug

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

:v:

I think I have no chance in my Muscovy game if your attempt is any indication. I thought it would be easy as Muscovy.

Was your patriarch authority maxed?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Pellisworth posted:

confirmation bias is a hell of a drug

Congrats you confused people with a lame joke and trotted out your confirmation bias buzzword for the day, well done.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Rakthar posted:

Congrats you confused people with a lame joke and trotted out your confirmation bias buzzword for the day, well done.

Eh chill out he's one of the most helpful dudes in the thread.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Bold Robot posted:

Eh chill out he's one of the most helpful dudes in the thread.

The game has super complex rules and there's tons of new players reading the thread, dropping that in there to go "haw haw confirmation bias" sucks but hey, he got to say confirmation bias ;)

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Need someone to double-check something for me since I'm not 100% sure how it would work out.

Here's the situation:

-I'm Castille and answered a call to arms to an offensive war with from my ally the Pope.
-England is an ally of the defending nation and has joined the war on the other side.
-England is also an ally of Portugal's.
-If I declare war on Portugal, England will not technically join since they are already at war with me. At least according to the in-game tooltip.

My question is if I declare war on Portugal and then the Pope's war ends soon thereafter, will England then still be at war with me since I would be at war with one of their allies? Or will they get a truce with me but still be able to join Portugal's war since it's a defensive one?

We're rivals so in terms of having the necessary opinion, England definitely hates me enough that they would join Portugal if they can. I'm just trying to figure out if trying to snipe Portugal while England is busy fighting in this other war is a decent idea or if they would just still be at war with me as soon as it ends and there's no point trying to do this quickly now rather than just waiting until I get some of my manpower/troops back.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

VDay posted:

they get a truce with me but still be able to join Portugal's war since it's a defensive one

It's that.

But just pull the trigger anyway, because England is far away, and Portugal is right next to you.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Ok that's what I was thinking. I'm definitely going to fight Portugal pretty soon, I was just wondering if there was an opportunity to fight them alone just for the sake of not having to wait for the warscore to tick up since I won't be invading England. Not really in a hurry as I've managed to cut them off from Cape Verde and Africa for now. Just have to hope the AI decides to end this war with the Pope without turning their 80,000 troops (compared to our combined 50 thousand. Yeah great call on that war dec Pope, way to go) towards me.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

I don't think I'll be integrating Austria this game.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Node posted:

:v:

I think I have no chance in my Muscovy game if your attempt is any indication. I thought it would be easy as Muscovy.

Was your patriarch authority maxed?

PA was maxed. I made quite a few mistakes that i mentioned. I realized later I could have also ditched an idea group for plutocratic and used the manpower boost idea to push me over.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Based on the teaser image released today I'm boldly predicting that Paradox is making a space exporation grand strategy game, it's the only logical conclusion :hellyeah:

https://www.reddit.com/r/paradoxplaza/comments/3flsaa/augustus_teaser_8_3rd_of_august_2015/

quote:

• This will be our first new major IP released since the original Crusader Kings over 10 years ago.

• Seven and Three are important numbers.

• There will be no stabbing of pigs.

• Terrain truly matters in this game.

• Game Director is Henrik Fåhraeus, 15 year industry veteran, lead designer behind the Crusader Kings and Hearts of Iron series.

• Elections and Technological Development are important parts of the game.

• This is a project we've always dreamt about doing, something all of PI have been involved in, not just the PDS developers.

• https://i.imgur.com/16zlcja.png

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Rakthar posted:

Based on the teaser image released today I'm boldly predicting that Paradox is making a space exporation grand strategy game, it's the only logical conclusion :hellyeah:

https://www.reddit.com/r/paradoxplaza/comments/3flsaa/augustus_teaser_8_3rd_of_august_2015/

That would be amazing, but I don't see how you get space from that tiny headshot.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

LLSix posted:

That would be amazing, but I don't see how you get space from that tiny headshot.

Oh yeah I'm 100% confident it's a space game because that's what I want it to be. So now that the good reason is out of the way, the colors of the background implies the game might be set in modern / future times. There's clearly no doubt left at this point :v:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
They also booked a space-sounding trademark just recently. People have been talking about it for a while now in the general Paradox thread. Seems pretty likely it'll be a space game, one of the only other periods that'd make much sense based on their hints is Cold War and Johan explicitly ruled that out.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Jackson Taus posted:

Pretty much everything in that quote applies to basically every other aggressive start too. The round-robin war strategy I call the "circular dick-punch" and I find it's really effective from the Ottomans & France on down to TPMs - AE is based on culture and distance, so it's super-helpful if your enemies on opposite sides are different cultures or (in other starts) culture groups. "Aim to eat/vassal a country or two every war" is probably a bit much in most instances, but I think it translates rather well in other starts to recognizing that it's worth it to run up the warscore most of the time to get most of your goals rather than stopping when you get one objective. Mercenaries are basically mandatory in the early game where you're often manpower-limited.

The way I learned this is by playing Aztec over and over again to get the religious reforms down in a decent amount of time. I hadn't really played the game since release so I decided to try Aztec and you learn a ton about vassalization, truces, and round robin wars playing them, or any Nauhtl nation.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Rakthar posted:

Which Hearts of Iron games was this Fåhraeus dude responsible for?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

LLSix posted:

It's the scanlines. Headshot communiques are sort of a sci-fi staple. And they just registered "Stellaris" as a trademark a week or two back, which had us thinking space game already.

I'm sure it can't be that exactly, but I would be over the moon if it was Alpha Centauri done Paradox style. I could make every clue fit it except the stabbing of pigs bit, but that might just be the "it's not EU:Rome 2" clue.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

No pigs will be shivved because it will be space Islam, and you will be able to import any euiv save in which Islam reclaimed all its holy sites

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

VDay posted:

Need someone to double-check something for me since I'm not 100% sure how it would work out.

We're rivals so in terms of having the necessary opinion, England definitely hates me enough that they would join Portugal if they can. I'm just trying to figure out if trying to snipe Portugal while England is busy fighting in this other war is a decent idea or if they would just still be at war with me as soon as it ends and there's no point trying to do this quickly now rather than just waiting until I get some of my manpower/troops back.

As PittTheElder said, Portugal would be able to call in England once the war you're allied with England in ends. However, if you smash Portugal before England has a chance to join, negative warscore makes them less likely and they may not come at all if Portugal is pretty badly beaten.

Rakthar posted:

Err, I'm not sure where the hostility is coming from. I've played many hundreds of hours of EU3 and EU4, I'm happy to try and give advice to new players. I often get things wrong, but that's ok because posters in this thread are great about responding and revising each other, so any question gets half a dozen answers from Paradox sperglords which together give a pretty excellent answer. I made a joke and it was corrected at the top of the page in the very next post. I have no need to get into a vocabulary dick measuring contest.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
That guy is kind of an rear end in a top hat, don't worry about it.

PittTheElder posted:

It's the scanlines. Headshot communiques are sort of a sci-fi staple. And they just registered "Stellaris" as a trademark a week or two back, which had us thinking space game already.

I'm sure it can't be that exactly, but I would be over the moon if it was Alpha Centauri done Paradox style. I could make every clue fit it except the stabbing of pigs bit, but that might just be the "it's not EU:Rome 2" clue.

There was a second thing they got with Stellaris that was already a thing wasn't it? Does anyone know more about that?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Anyone played a colonial nation game? Are they any fun? I think I might play a USA game now that I finished Ethiopia.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
A bit late for the discussion about cavalry but some people were claiming that only Muslims or hordes should go for heavy cavalry.

They're a little grainy since I took them from a youtube video (I would link the video but there's terrible music blaring throughout). The battle only lasted 11 days. This army that got wiped wasn't that inferior stats wise and the leaders were roughly equal.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Those polish exclaves. :stonk:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Koramei posted:

There was a second thing they got with Stellaris that was already a thing wasn't it? Does anyone know more about that?

I thought so too, but Stellaris is the only one that they've registered in 2015.

https://oami.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/owners/332862
https://oami.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/014306054

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Hahahahaha I guess taking Rome away from the Papal States as the Ottomans REEEEALLY pisses off every single person in Europe. I just lost a 15 hour Ironman save when literally all of Europe occupied my entire empire and refused to settle a peace deal. That was awful. If they had just given me about five more years before declaring I would've crushed them all again. This was after a 25 year long war over Sicily against France, Siena, the Papal States, Hungary, Poland, Lithuania, Switzerland, Austria, and a few other OPMs. I beat them with overwhelming numbers and had completely exhausted my manpower and was building up for the next go when they got the jump on me. Even with more than a million people in my army I can't take on like 14 countries at once.

It was fun while it lasted though!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Elections are a vital part of the game. Space Victoria?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I hate regency councils I hate regency councils I hate regency councils. I am trying to get 1000 provinces and I just had back to back regencies in the 1700s. So annoying. I wish you could declare ware in a regency but it costs stability or something. Even 3 stability. I'd take it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Potooweet posted:

I wish non-overseas territory that's more than uhh IDK 4 provinces away would get gradually stacking revolt risk and autonomy or something. Sometimes Poland will gain Crimea or something but later lose all their vassals and they'll keep it for centuries despite never having access to it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Would force-vassalizing the Papal State if I get the chance to do it as a Catholic Spain be a good idea? I imagine being able to sit at permanent +200 relations would be nice for the papal influence, but I don't want to do it and find out that the Pope has some special, undocumented modifier where he hates you forever if you vassalize him as a Catholic or something. Are there any other benefits/downsides/quirks of having the pope as your vassal? Infinite excommunications? Free permanent curia controller status? etc.

Potooweet posted:

Yeah Poland constantly has nonsensical borders/territory thanks to declaring wars on Lithuania's behalf.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

VDay posted:

Would force-vassalizing the Papal State if I get the chance to do it as a Catholic Spain be a good idea? I imagine being able to sit at permanent +200 relations would be nice for the papal influence, but I don't want to do it and find out that the Pope has some special, undocumented modifier where he hates you forever if you vassalize him as a Catholic or something. Are there any other benefits/downsides/quirks of having the pope as your vassal? Infinite excommunications? Free permanent curia controller status? etc.

No this is not Crusader Kings. If you vassalize the pope you won't get any Pope power at all and might as well convert.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Elections are a vital part of the game. Space Victoria?
It would be nice to finally see a space game where characters and leaders matter and actually change.

I wonder how many admin points you need to core Uranus?

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

VDay posted:

At most it'll be marginally harder for other nations to generate influence, as they can't sign alliances, share rivals etc. with the Pope to raise relations. Equally you'll probably have fewer possible excommunication targets, and they'll likely all be AE-based (so you could coalition them anyway) as that's pretty much the only way to negatively modify relations with another nation's vassal.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
If you've vassalized the Papal State you also take a -2 diplo rep modifier as well.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

The penalties for vassalizing the Pope or owning Rome apply only to Catholics right? Muslims/Orthodox/Protestant just get the "Conquest of Rome" modifier instead for +Prestige and +1 Missionary right?

Gitro
May 29, 2013

420 Gank Mid posted:

The penalties for vassalizing the Pope or owning Rome apply only to Catholics right? Muslims/Orthodox/Protestant just get the "Conquest of Rome" modifier instead for +Prestige and +1 Missionary right?

Yeah, owning Rome as a non-Catholic is a good time.

e: So how does this work? Is Russia just not Russian enough to keep their core on Moskva?

Gitro fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 4, 2015

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Gitro posted:

Yeah, owning Rome as a non-Catholic is a good time.

e: So how does this work? Is Russia just not Russian enough to keep their core on Moskva?

There is exactly 1 primary nation per culture and for russian that is muscovy, not russia. Yes it's dumb.

As Lucca I vassalized the pope and between religious ideas, italian NI's, 7 cardinals and 200 pope relations I had permanent +3 stability, all papal buffs going constantly and still had more then enough pope points left to spend. Vassalizing the pope can be really good as a catholic.

Sorced fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 4, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Sorced posted:

There is exactly 1 primary nation per culture and for russian that is muscovy, not russia. Yes it's dumb.

It is, but it's like that so that Russia has to be formed by gathering the Rus', and won't form out of rebels or something.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I'm thinking of doing a Ming run. Anyone have experience or advice for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The only way you could possibly lose a Ming run is by losing the Mandate of Heaven, which you keep as long as you're not western/westernizing, stab of 0 or more, legitimacy of 60 or higher, and 20 provinces or more (lol).

To keep the mandate, play a bit conservatively. Keep some admin power in your back pocket in case you hit a string of stab-hitting events. You'll also want some significant cash reserves. If you roll a lot of bad dice and get a weak claim heir, you're going to go below 60 legitimacy and you will lose the mandate, and then you'll need to spend that money while you wait for a better ruler. If you do get rebel swarms, kill the separatists and nationalists first.

Thankfully as long as you have the mandate you're an unstoppable juggernaut. Since they lost the inward perfection penalties in CS Ming has been extremely powerful. I haven't seen them break in any post-CS game, although it could still happen very quickly if they got a weak claim ruler.

• Locked thread