Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

dis astranagant posted:

Vinewood Sap Mask doesn't do much in Golgotha. It provides a bit of protection against farts but not a whole lot and won't save you from taking a dip in the nasty liquids.

What specifically constitutes enough poison resistance, then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What specifically constitutes enough poison resistance, then?

It's not at all clear to me that you can resist getting infected in Golgotha. Swallowing the water down there is a super-bad idea and no gas mask is going to protect you from it. That's why people advocate massive amounts of fire.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
As far as I can tell, Slog and the sewage eels have a chance to simply flat-out infect you with their attacks.

Whenever I go there, I follow the Three Rules of Golgotha:

1) if you see Chute Crabs, immediately recoil and take a different chute.

2) bring firepower. Ideally, bring fire. Explosives are a decent substitute.

3) don't wade in the sludge. Don't stand in the sludge. Don't stand next to the sludge. Fear the sludge. Hate what you fear. Destroy what you hate.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I found the bit I needed on a unique honey loving bear that had a laser rifle and laser pistol. He was apparently pretty good at bird horoscopes. I think that just leaves the flamethrower on my golgotha checklist. I could honestly probably handle it with the gear I have right now, but I'll probably still get the flamethrower to be safe.

You're way overkitted, especially if you can make HE or thermal grenades, since those will clear out sludge just fine.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Angry Diplomat posted:

3) don't wade in the sludge. Don't stand in the sludge. Don't stand next to the sludge. Fear the sludge. Hate what you fear. Destroy what you hate.

see, when I went down there, sludge was freaking everywhere and I had no choice but to wade throu--

PleasingFungus posted:

make HE or thermal grenades, since those will clear out sludge just fine.

oh. ohhhhhh.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Door placement is working! :toot:

Still a long hard hike to get to general object placement, though.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Yes. Sludge will poison you, stun you, rust your best equipment, and give you a horrible disease. Remove sludge from the premises.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

That's looking nice! Are you using wang tiled prefabs, or are the internal designs of each room procedurally built?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ToxicFrog posted:

Sooooo... you're remaking Dredmor in ascii?

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

At this point, I don't think there can be a level editor that doesn't resemble something that's already been done, to be honest.

E: I mean, Crawl alone covers probably 90% of various level types present in roguelikes.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

SnowblindFatal posted:

At this point, I don't think there can be a level editor that doesn't resemble something that's already been done, to be honest.

E: I mean, Crawl alone covers probably 90% of various level types present in roguelikes.

(the menu bar says dredmorrl)

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

PleasingFungus posted:

You're way overkitted, especially if you can make HE or thermal grenades, since those will clear out sludge just fine.

I figured as much, I just don't wanna die to golgotha again since this character has been going so well.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Unormal posted:

That's looking nice! Are you using wang tiled prefabs, or are the internal designs of each room procedurally built?

I'm using the rooms.xml from Dungeons of Dredmor, and the level generator is designed to mimic the behaviour of Dredmor's as closely as possible.

Jordan7hm posted:

Kind of. It's not so much a remake/demake as an alternate engine; it still needs the Dredmor XML files to run. I do have plans for some changes/improvements, though.

Before I can start work on my ~glorious vision~, though, I need to actually have a playable game, which I'm still working on. Current roadmap looks something like:
- Finish terrain generation (it looks good in the screenshot, but it doesn't yet respect restrictions on which floors a room can appear on, for example)
- Rethink some parts of the entity-component system so that save files are smaller and less disgusting
- Generate dummy objects for all objects in the map, which can be examined to get the underlying object info
- The ability to look at tiles/examine objects; this will probably involve another round of UI library work, and possibly a complete rethink of how the top-level rendering function works
- Very basic object interaction: open/close doors, collision detection
- Slightly less basic object interaction: pick up/drop, take inventory, examine item in inventory
- Line of sight
- Start actually implementing some of those objects, which will likely involve writing loaders for more of the Dredmor XML

Past experience shows that each one of those bullet points is probably going to prompt a bunch of improvements to other subsystems, though.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
God drat, eyeless king crabs do NOT gently caress around. Just lost a character with an eigenrifle and vibro dagger in Bethesda Susa because I let myself get cornered with one. Couldn't out damage it and phasing was already on cooldown. drat shame, that was a wonderful character. I managed to land an artifact buckler early on that had 3 av, no dv penalty, and a force field ability which pretty much defined my skill progression into a block heavy character.

Golgotha on the other hand was simple. I think next time I'll go in a bit underleveled just to experience how difficult the place can really be.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Golgotha really isn't difficult, it just has a couple gotchas that either instakill you or have you chasing down the flaming ick.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Golgotha really is a cool rear end dungeon, one of the most unique ones in roguelikes. My next character will probably fight the boss instead of warping out after the waydroid.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 4, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Speaking of Golgotha, does eating a yuckwheat stem immediately after finishing the dungeon have any protective effect? I seem to recall reading that it could cure diseases if eaten early enough.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i have caves of qud on Steam and I finally got around to buying Sproggiwood since I got a new phone

game owns

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Speaking of Golgotha, does eating a yuckwheat stem immediately after finishing the dungeon have any protective effect? I seem to recall reading that it could cure diseases if eaten early enough.

I tried that and drinking a bunch of honey and still contracted glotrot one time.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I dont know if eyeless crab kings look the same as eyeless crabs or are just similar enough that I couldnt tell the difference, but either way trying to get unstuck from asphalt while one was next to me was a bad idea.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Clever Spambot posted:

I dont know if eyeless crab kings look the same as eyeless crabs or are just similar enough that I couldnt tell the difference, but either way trying to get unstuck from asphalt while one was next to me was a bad idea.

They're identical in the current version. In the old one kings were 'C' and regulars were 'c'

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

They're identical in the current version. In the old one kings were 'C' and regulars were 'c'

:eng101: and you can turn off tiles in the options if you're a diehard ASCII fan like I am.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I finally picked up Sproggiwood.

How do (savage) wisp damage auras work? They seem not 100% reliable when they walk up to you, especially if they do so when a Farmer drops a scarecrow.

Also, how does the vampire boss work? I never even saw him, just kept taking damage every turn and died because I didn't have previous floors conducive to getting farmer to lv5. :negative:

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Aw, boo, Ego Projection does not let me take skills before my stats are really where they need to be :(

On the flip side, Precognition is incredibly awesome. Taking Amphib pays for it, and being able to pick whatever mutations I want as a hybrid esper while hoping for decent 1-point physical mutations (Regen, Multiple Legs, and uh... I guess that's it, arguably burrowing claws but not really since it costs 2, and I could've had that instead of Ego Projection...) is awesome without ever having to worry about my Evil Clone killing me.

At creation, I took:

18 in all stats except Willpower at 14

Amphibious (+4 points)
Precognition (-4)
Beguiling (3)
Light Manipulation (4)
Siphon Vim (3)
Ego Projection (2)

Water Merchant background for +2 Ego and decent starting gear

My logic was (after already trying to scum with Unstable Genome doing this, which is a huge and stupid pain in the rear end) that Ego Projection was only 2 points, so I'd never want to spend 4 on it, and I wanted to keep as many of my starting mutations below 4 cost as possible (as all new powers would be purchased at cost 4).

I'm currently level 8 and killing Equimaxes for fun and profit with my trust salthopper companion. I've precog scummed so far for Pyrokinesis.

Precog Scumming for mutations is kind of tedious, but awesome. I hunted for a whoooole bunch of glowfish and glowpad corpses, got my 4 mutation points (I didn't kill PURELY these things, I found a ruins and Siphon Vim/Lased an albino ape to death after failing to beguile it) and then Started Vision > bought mutation > if I didn't like what my options were, I picked whatever, Ended VIsion, and used "Wait X turns" (not bound by default) to wait till Start Vision was off cooldown, and repeated.

I hope I get something awesome next; I really want Domination so that I can kit out a character and spend their mutation points, but eh, I'd rather have Regen as a safety blanket or some other attack point, maybe Sunder Mind. Maybe Psychometry so I can go extra-hybrid, sorta.

E: Another awesome 1-point physical mutation that an otherwise-esper enjoys: Phasing!

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 4, 2015

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
the magic will probably wear off eventually, scumming mutations is super fuckin boring.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

andrew smash posted:

the magic will probably wear off eventually, scumming mutations is super fuckin boring.

The real tragedy was finding out that if you beguile a new creature, once your old pet kills it, your old pet stays friendly but no longer follows you, even after beguiling it again :(

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm using the rooms.xml from Dungeons of Dredmor, and the level generator is designed to mimic the behaviour of Dredmor's as closely as possible.

Kind of. It's not so much a remake/demake as an alternate engine; it still needs the Dredmor XML files to run. I do have plans for some changes/improvements, though.

:neckbeard: Like 80% of my complaints with Dredmor would be fixed pretty much right away by a nice ASCII implementation, so I'm very behind this.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

andrew smash posted:

FR: use a separate RNG state for tracking purchased mutations so you can't scum them with Precognition. Conceptually I have nothing against the idea but games should ideally not have "optimal" playstyles that involve boring behaviors.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

FR: use a separate RNG state for tracking purchased mutations so you can't scum them with Precognition. Conceptually I have nothing against the idea but games should ideally not have "optimal" playstyles that involve boring behaviors.

I actually do, but something broke with it.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

It's fun to do every once in a while and regular Espers are broken enough on their own that no one should ever feel like they have to scum to win.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ZeeToo posted:

:neckbeard: Like 80% of my complaints with Dredmor would be fixed pretty much right away by a nice ASCII implementation, so I'm very behind this.

Not gonna lie, the main impetus of this project is that I want to be able to enjoy Dredmor again but it has enough issues that I kind of can't.

Radical plans to overhaul lutefisk and crafting mechanics aside, I don't want to get too deep into balance/gameplay changes, but I think just having an infinite, automatically sorted inventory will help dramatically.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 4, 2015

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

ToxicFrog posted:

Not gonna lie, the main impetus of this project is that I want to be able to enjoy Dredmor again but it has enough issues that I kind of can't.

Radical plans to overhaul lutefisk and crafting mechanics aside, I don't want to get too deep into balance/gameplay changes, but I think just having an infinite, automatically sorted inventory will help dramatically.

I would be quite amused if the first big commercial graphical roguelike success eventually evolved into an community-maintained open source ascii re-implementation. All paths lead to the same destination. Please make it happen.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
The chaingun's loving amazing and I believe its well worth its weight in water
Either than or I'm fooling myself since it got me through Golgotha without a scratch for once

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I've always preferred the carbine. Does a bit more damage per shot and doesn't chew through ammo as quickly.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

amuayse posted:

The chaingun's loving amazing and I believe its well worth its weight in water
Either than or I'm fooling myself since it got me through Golgotha without a scratch for once

It weighs 40 pounds, is wildly inaccurate and devours ammo. I'll take a carbine any day and a flamer when I want something meaner.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I was using it like a melee weapon since agility was my dump stat. Funny that you guys mentioned the carbine since I have it and the chain pistol back in my Joppa chest.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
If you just want something to put a shitload of bullets into something close, the chaingun does a fine job. Not quite as mean as a flamethrower sure, but the ammo is a lot less of a pain to come by, especially if it isn't your primary weapon.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Honestly, agility doesn't matter that much with guns. I mean you can blow a ton of points on it to pick up rapid fire but they work just fine with no skills or just steady hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Heavy weapons in particular are pretty great for characters with lovely agility and good strength.