Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
This thread made me look up Snipes' early career to see how he got started, turns out he was pretty close to his first major breakout role being Geordi LaForge on Star Trek TNG instead of Blade 11 years later. http://www.lettersofnote.com/2010/08/star-trekcasting.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Wasn't, y'know, Demolition Man his breakout role, not Blade?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mother fuckers here forgetting about Major League.

Also white men can't jump. And money train.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I'd say it was White Men Can't Jump or New Jack City.
kinda e;f,b

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Huh, for some reason I completely forgot he was in Major League and thought White Men Can't Jump and New Jack City were after Demolition Man. :ughh:

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Looking at his filmography: Demolition Man was the movie that paved him to become a solo action star for the rest of the 90s.

Then after the Blade series wrapped up it was off to jail for him and it appears he pulled a Nicolas Cage and said "yes" to a pile of lovely DTV action flicks (all of which were released while he was in prison) to pay off his IRS debts.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Yep, I straight forgot about Demolition Man. Great movie. I wouldn't really consider the others breakouts because I haven't seen them.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Some motherfuckers always trying to forget about To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything! Julie Newmar...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Passenger 57. :laffo:

I love New Jack City.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

yeah New Jack City is loving great. everyone in this thread who hasn't seen it should fix that immediately.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

All yall best brush up on your Snipes viewing. King of New York, New Jack City, Jungle Fever, White Men Can't Jump, Passenger 57, Rising Sun, Demolition Man, To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, The Fan, Money Train, and U.S. Marshals are all American classics that Snipes was in before starring in Blade.

Also, happy 53rd birthday Wesley Snipes.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
New Jack City was definitely his breakout movie - he got a lot of buzz for that one.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
By the time Demolition Man came out, Snipes was already a star. Although prior to that he was half the time cast in the "we need a good athlete!" role. Wildcats, Major League, White Men Can't Jump.

However, as has been mentioned, New Jack City was 100% his breakout movie. And deservedly so, because it was awesome.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Victorian Brigade posted:

One of the great things about this quote is that it is said in the same exact tone as that of an incredulous parent who can't believe they just saw their children trying to pull something really ineffectual and stupid. If you picture a parent seeing a young child placing a rickety box on top of a teetering chair to try and get some cookies that are on top of a refrigerator, with the child thinking they are pulling the wool over the parent's eyes, you kind of get the idea.

When Blade's going to the human blood farm in Blade III, the familiar goes "I can't let you in, they'll kill me!" and he says "motherfucker I'll kill you, I'll just enjoy it more" he says it in the exact same way as this and it's like, the only point in the whole film that Snipes actually acted instead of just showed up wearing a stock Blade suit from central casting.

space-man
Jan 3, 2007
a man, like any other... but in space!
I thought passenger 57 was his sort of first breakout film. (Always bet on black) Also drop zone was an early 90s action flick he was in. I can't remember which came first, but I love them all equally. Just like my Steven Segal collection.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's funny that people mentioned Blade seeming like a predecessor of The Matrix, because I had never considered that before but can definitely see it. Also, it came out the same year as Dark City, also written by David Goyer.

And on the subject of Goyer I feel like it's incredibly hard to believe he wrote all three Blade movies. I mean, I'm not trying to say he didn't, but they all vary so much in quality and tone. Especially the third one. I guess it shows how the director's choices have an impact (although looking at output Norrington is arguably a worse director than Goyer, I mean he did loving League of Extraordinary Gentleman).

As for Wesley Snipes fully embodying the character of Blade, I honestly think he and JK Simmons as J Jonah Jameson are the only comic book movie actors who I can't imagine their roles being played by anyone else. Maybe also Jackman as Wolverine, but that more due to him having the role for so long.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Chairman Capone posted:

As for Wesley Snipes fully embodying the character of Blade, I honestly think he and JK Simmons as J Jonah Jameson are the only comic book movie actors who I can't imagine their roles being played by anyone else. Maybe also Jackman as Wolverine, but that more due to him having the role for so long.

And Jackman wasn't even the first choice. It was originally Dougray Scott who had to drop out because of a scheduling conflict with Mission: Impossible II. He really missed out on that boat and M:I II wasn't even a good movie (it really does not hold up). I wouldn't even be surprised if most people do not even know him by name these days.

Edit: Actually if I am to believe IMDB Russel Crowe(!) was first choice, Dougray Scott was cast before dropping out, at which point Crowe suggested Jackman. I usually find these "actor X was considered/auditioned" facts a bunch of silly nonsense, but that one just blew my mind. If only Jackman had returned the favor and suggested Crowe to play Sabretooth in X-Men Origins: Wolverine (wouldn't have salvaged it, but would have been awesome).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 2, 2015

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The only reason Jackman was cast was because Mission: Impossible II went into re-shoots due to Woo's original cut and the script by Towne / Braga / Moore being a goddamn mess. Those two weeks of work saved us from Scott as Wolverine.

Talk about the happiest of accidents.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Timby posted:

The only reason Jackman was cast was because Mission: Impossible II went into re-shoots due to Woo's original cut and the script by Towne / Braga / Moore being a goddamn mess. Those two weeks of work saved us from Scott as Wolverine.

Talk about the happiest of accidents.

Which only happened when it did because MI 2 was delayed from the start due to Tom Cruz finishing Eyes Wide Shut which was running over schedule because Kubrick. The Universe was unhappy with Dougray Scott being Wolverine.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Mierenneuker posted:

If only Jackman had returned the favor and suggested Crowe to play Sabretooth in X-Men Origins: Wolverine (wouldn't have salvaged it, but would have been awesome).

Liev Schreiber was pretty great as Sabretooth, not sure if I would have liked Crowe more. The casting was the least of problems with that movie, I didn't even hate Will.I.Am.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Watched the movie again after not doing so for a while, and yeah — it's still the best comic book adaption out there. Snipes was killing it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Grendels Dad posted:

Liev Schreiber was pretty great as Sabretooth, not sure if I would have liked Crowe more. The casting was the least of problems with that movie, I didn't even hate Will.I.Am.

Everyone should hate Will.I.Am. I hate him even more having just typed out his stupid name.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Everyone should hate Will.I.Am. I hate him even more having just typed out his stupid name.

It feels like I didn't have to listen to the Black Eyed Peas in years and am otherwise oblivious to what they do, so all I have to go on is his performance in the movie. Which got completely overshadowed by that one bucktoothed guy in a fat suit.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Grendels Dad posted:

I'll go so far as to say he was an excellent cast as Sabretooth and a highlight of Origins. Tyler Mane was only cast because he was a big dude who used to be a professional wrestler so I don't even think of him.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Justin Godscock posted:

I'll go so far as to say he was an excellent cast as Sabretooth and a highlight of Origins. Tyler Mane was only cast because he was a big dude who used to be a professional wrestler so I don't even think of him.

I agree, and I think it's a shame Victor wont be a reoccurring in the movies solely because it means I wont get to see Schreiber hiss at people.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Neo Rasa posted:

Between these comments he may be the least understood actor of our time.

This interrview is fantastic.

http://www.avclub.com/article/udo-kier-49362

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Justin Godscock posted:

A professional wrestler who wrestled in Japan as Skywalker Nitron (it was either that or Blade Bushmaster, Skywalker Nitron's tag partner. I Never remember which one he was)

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

mods please namechange to Skywalker Nitron

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Gilok posted:

mods please namechange to Skywalker Nitron

Mods, no. One can only earn that name by wrestling Dieselman Terrorgod, the Dark Guy.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Fat Lou posted:

All yall best brush up on your Snipes viewing. King of New York, New Jack City, Jungle Fever, White Men Can't Jump, Passenger 57, Rising Sun, Demolition Man, To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, The Fan, Money Train, and U.S. Marshals are all American classics that Snipes was in before starring in Blade.

Guess it is going to be a Snipes marathon weekend.

Blade still the most badass dude around.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fat Lou posted:

Sugar Hill is also pretty good.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Elizabeth Báthory: "I told you so!"

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/aug/04/can-we-reverse-ageing-process-young-blood-older-people

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

I hope this is viral marketing for the introduction of Blade into the MCU.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Fat Lou posted:

U.S. Marshals

quote:

American classics

gently caress you say?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Taken 3 is pretty much exactly the same movie as U.S. Marshalls.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Darko posted:

Taken 3 is pretty much exactly the same movie as U.S. Marshalls.

You just summed up the exact way to make me never even consider watching a movie.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
US Marshals is just the guys who were hunting Harrison Ford in The Fugitive solving a dumb boilerplate spy movie plot about the Chinese infiltrating the state department. No amount of love for Wesley Snipes should fool you into watching it because it's worse than being bad: it's just utterly and totally forgettable.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Helsing posted:

US Marshals is just the guys who were hunting Harrison Ford in The Fugitive solving a dumb boilerplate spy movie plot about the Chinese infiltrating the state department. No amount of love for Wesley Snipes should fool you into watching it because it's worse than being bad: it's just utterly and totally forgettable.

The only good thing about US Marshals is Tommy Lee Jones, but he doesn't make it worth watching. Every other interesting thing in US Marshals was done better in Art of War, which also isn't very good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey let's ignore coked up RDJ as the traitor on the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Rhyno posted:

Hey let's ignore coked up RDJ as the traitor on the team.

Yeah! I know US Marshalls isn't a "good" movie but it's entertaining to watch.

• Locked thread