Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Hollismason posted:

Actually I think Mr. Robot is the real person and Elliot is his son that died.

What if the whole thing is actually a tv show? Mind blown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

pahuyuth posted:

I'm pretty bored with House Tyrell to be honest, though the wife is hot. I did enjoy the scene with the new boss of EvilCorp though. The way it was shot was just awesome.

That scene made me really like that guy and now I'm sad Tyrell will destroy him.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Watch Tyrell join F Society.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Holyshoot posted:

For what purpose? Who was that character and what was his importance besides getting hosed in the rear end?

Already been answered, but how did you not twig when they were both in the scene before, at work.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

pahuyuth posted:

I'm pretty bored with House Tyrell to be honest, though the wife is hot. I did enjoy the scene with the new boss of EvilCorp though. The way it was shot was just awesome.

Wife is not even hot. She looks like a caricature of a stuck up model. Who eats like that? Duck face much?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Rocksicles posted:

Already been answered, but how did you not twig when they were both in the scene before, at work.

Some people watch the show in a 3" x 4.5" rectangle in the lower right hand corner of the monitor and faces can be tricky sometimes :colbert:

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Feenix posted:

Wife is not even hot. She looks like a caricature of a stuck up model. Who eats like that? Duck face much?

I think that's the point of her and Tyrell. They are just superficially pretty enough to qualify as attractive yet give off a sinister uncanny valley vibe, which is perfect for Bateman-esque corporate climbers.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Err, she's quite absurdly attractive by any standards.

Tyrell getting owned is easily one of my top moments so far, because it came as a fantastic curveball from what I thought wa going to be the CTO getting stepped on.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Seriously. She could literally be a supermodel. Unless the pregnancy is what turns you off, in which case don't kinkshame.

Spoiler/speculation:
IMDB lists Mrs. Wellick as showing up in 3 episodes, so she's probably out of the story at this point. Similarly for all members of fsociety except Darlene and (obviously) Ghost Dad.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Pregnant is fine. I just don't find her attractive and she made a lot of dumb faces. But this is a dumb and goony derail in a show that has much more and better to talk about.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Trabant posted:

Seriously. She could literally be a supermodel. Unless the pregnancy is what turns you off, in which case don't kinkshame.

Spoiler/speculation:
Ghost Dad.

This touches on an interesting point. Has Elliot's dad been shown on screen yet?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Feenix posted:

Pregnant is fine. I just don't find her attractive and she made a lot of dumb faces. But this is a dumb and goony derail in a show that has much more and better to talk about.

You're objectively wrong, so changing the subject is a good tactic. ;)

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Spuckuk posted:

Tyrell getting owned is easily one of my top moments so far, because it came as a fantastic curveball from what I thought wa going to be the CTO getting stepped on.
His actor being really good at campy despair (and campy everything) made it super satisfying, along with those framing tricks.

Feenix posted:

What a sick negging. Her Sexual Market Value just plummeted, thanks to one weird tip goon's embarrassing opinion

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Trabant posted:

Spoiler/speculation:
IMDB lists Mrs. Wellick as showing up in 3 episodes, so she's probably out of the story at this point. Similarly for all members of fsociety except Darlene and (obviously) Ghost Dad.

That doesn't make sense. Wellick's arc is obviously not done yet, and his wife has been shown for almost every part of it. She wouldn't suddenly disappear. It also says Vera isn't in any more episodes and that doesn't seem sensible, either.

IMDB can be weird about showing how many episodes of a show an actor is in while the show is still airing new episodes. I recently looked up a show I was watching and accidentally saw that one of the main cast members was only in 6 of 10 episodes. I was real mad for spoiling myself, but the actor has been in every episode so far, and now IMDB says she's in 10/10 episodes.

edit: Goons arguing about who is and is not attractive is real weird.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
IMDB is exactly as trustworthy as Wikipedia.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Accretionist posted:

Some people watch the show in a 3" x 4.5" rectangle in the lower right hand corner of the monitor and faces can be tricky sometimes :colbert:

I have been so happy since I finally went dual monitor.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 3, 2015

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Spergatory posted:

IMDB is exactly as trustworthy as Wikipedia.

Not so much. I have never had to argue with Wikipedia about accepting information which was supported by photographic proof.

Inspector Goon
Dec 7, 2005
Go Go Gadget Rollerskates!

TheRationalRedditor posted:

His actor being really good at campy despair (and campy everything) made it super satisfying, along with those framing tricks.

What a sick negging. Her Sexual Market Value just plummeted, thanks to one weird tip goon's embarrassing opinion

Tyrell's character is a terrible caricature of a real person, him and his wife seem like a poor mans Underwoods. So many characters on this show are just hyperbole. Even Elliot is a smoother talking Dale-Gribble spouting nonsense "conspiracy" rhetoric. He even has his alter-ego for when his thoughts get extra crazy/insane. Elliot's pocket sand is usb keys strewn hastily in a parking lot. Just as loving ridiculous, no matter how "effective" it would be in real life.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So many bad posters in this thread.

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012

Accretionist posted:

tv-iv.txt

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Trabant posted:

She is a model. A playboy model.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Inspector Goon posted:

Tyrell's character is a terrible caricature of a real person, him and his wife seem like a poor mans Underwoods. .

I don't agree about the other stuff but this is definatily becoming a thing in TV in general. It was jarring in Empire and it is even more so here where it has become half of Tyrells character for the season.

House of Cards is ruining everything.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

She is a model. A playboy model.

So the model look doesn't work for him! It happens to a lot of guys. No shame in it.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Inspector Goon posted:

Tyrell's character is a terrible caricature of a real person, him and his wife seem like a poor mans Underwoods. So many characters on this show are just hyperbole. Even Elliot is a smoother talking Dale-Gribble spouting nonsense "conspiracy" rhetoric. He even has his alter-ego for when his thoughts get extra crazy/insane. Elliot's pocket sand is usb keys strewn hastily in a parking lot. Just as loving ridiculous, no matter how "effective" it would be in real life.

the inspector Goon

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Rocksicles posted:

Nah I just watch like 5-6 other shows between it airing the next episode. So unless the point is brought up again I'll probably forget it. It really was a throw away scene tbh.

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

DaveKap posted:

He's immediately shrunk down into a tiny, fearful man. His plans failed, he's an embarrassment, and Scott will keep him in the shitter for his stupid stunts. Tyrell's the bad guy of the show yet this frame still makes you feel sorry for him.

Also note the changes in depth of field, I can't get enough of how well done this cinematography is! I look forward to the Every Frame a Painting video that will inevitably go over the first season of this show.

I love this picture, its the picture or someone coming to realise he will only ever be the diet coke of evil.

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

This show is in fact being written in Qwerty's head to entertain himself because no-one will put his fish bowl BY THE GAWD drat WINDOW! :argh:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

When I went out to lunch today I saw a girl who was a dead ringer for Tyrell. It was kinda spooky but made me realize just how femme Tyrell is.

Xoidanor posted:

I don't agree about the other stuff but this is definatily becoming a thing in TV in general. It was jarring in Empire and it is even more so here where it has become half of Tyrells character for the season.

House of Cards is ruining everything.
Wait, I'm confused. Are you saying that power couples in TV are a bad thing? I haven't watched Empire but the power couple of House of Cards was something that actually attracted me to the show due to the fact that almost every other show in existence has trouble keeping power couples together and I came to hate Season 3 for doing what only seemed cliche, tearing them apart.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 5, 2015

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

quote:

Elliot's pocket sand is usb keys strewn hastily in a parking lot. Just as loving ridiculous, no matter how "effective" it would be in real life.
As was said in the thread, this is a real-world hacking / penetration testing thing. That or the writers read the same book I did.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Analytic Engine posted:

As was said in the thread, this is a real-world hacking / penetration testing thing. That or the writers read the same book I did.

Nah, it really is 100% real. And it falls under the lovely category of, "sneakernet."

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Inspector Goon posted:

Elliot's pocket sand is usb keys strewn hastily in a parking lot. Just as loving ridiculous, no matter how "effective" it would be in real life.
When I watched that scene unfold the first thing I thought was "haha yeah right" but then I thought about it for about 5 more seconds and realized, oh yeah, people are really loving stupid so of course this would work. Just as much as the music cd trick would work. In fact, I fell for that trick when I was younger. The only difference was the disc was blank and I paid 20 bucks for it. Fool me once...

For the record, it was supposed to be a movie of a rather entertaining street fire/music performance that I was really enjoying and wanted to watch more of. The disappointment of not witnessing more of their act outweighed the disappointment of losing 20 bucks for a blank DVD.

Edit: Also, the great thing that came of that scenario is the point that even these ultra-elite hackers aren't infallible with their skills. Her code still got found by the malware checker. That's a real nice touch to a show that seems to focus on how powerful hackers can be.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 5, 2015

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Analytic Engine posted:

It's a common/realistic enough concept that an especially-paranoid security tech might have epoxied that guard's USB ports shut in real life. I've worked at companies where even people with terrifying privileges were caught plugging in USB sticks that the security team had scattered around campus.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Trabandiumium posted:

the inspector Goon
That post really couldn't have been more embarrassing for them. Just imagine, an autist who tries to act like an intolerable hard-on who assumes they're right about everything but they can't even get a an intensely nerdy scenario pinned down due to lack of life experience. shameful

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Wait, I'm confused. Are you saying that power couples in TV are a bad thing? I haven't watched Empire but the power couple of House of Cards was something that actually attracted me to the show due to the fact that almost every other show in existence has trouble keeping power couples together and I came to hate Season 3 for doing what only seemed cliche, tearing them apart.

Power couples work when both of the partners are in the focus of the show. It feels kinda ham-handed in Mr. Robot (and Empire as I mentioned earlier), primarily because the wifes are not main characters, they're side characters. Addiotionally, it doesn't help that these plotlines haven't been given the necessary time to develop since they're competing for time with the main cast and the main plotline. Don't get me wrong, power couples can be done really well as we've seen both in the first season of HoC (and earlier shows like Spartacus) but now it seems like every ambitious drama show wants to force in that conniving power couple which use sex as a tool of manipulation, just because people really liked it in HoC. They're not actually considering if it has the room it needs to develop within the story that they are trying to tell.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 5, 2015

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Xoidanor posted:

Power couples work when both of the partners are in the focus of the show. It feels kinda ham-handed in both Mr. Robot (and Empire as I mentioned earlier) primarily because the wifes are not main characters, they're side characters. Addiotionally, it doesn't help that these plotlines haven't been given the necessary time to develop since they're competing for time with the main cast and the main plotline. Don't get me wrong, power couples can be done really well as we've seen both in the first season of HoC (and earlier shows like Spartacus) but now it seems like every couple of serious drama shows wants to force in that conniving power couple which use sex as a tool of manipulation without actually considering if it has room to develop within the story that they are trying to tell.

Yeah, this is basically what I'm feeling in Mr Robot. Everyone wants to have a Clintons-esque sexual politi-couple after HoC, but you can't do that if only one of the characters is doing anything plot-important. If Mrs. Tyrell starts doing things in the plot, other than complaining that the ladder-climbing isn't going fast enough, then she's not making her own destiny enough to be believably acing as part of a power couple.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Xoidanor posted:

Power couples work when both of the partners are in the focus of the show. It feels kinda ham-handed in Mr. Robot (and Empire as I mentioned earlier), primarily because the wifes are not main characters, they're side characters. Addiotionally, it doesn't help that these plotlines haven't been given the necessary time to develop since they're competing for time with the main cast and the main plotline. Don't get me wrong, power couples can be done really well as we've seen both in the first season of HoC (and earlier shows like Spartacus) but now it seems like every ambitious drama show wants to force in that conniving power couple which use sex as a tool of manipulation, just because people really liked it in HoC. They're not actually considering if it has the room it needs to develop within the story that they are trying to tell.
Makes sense! I wonder if the Mr. Robot folks will notice this and try to flesh Mrs. Bateman out a bit more this/next season.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Analytic Engine posted:

I work with law enforcement and computers all day and I could totally see this happening.

Just imagine the least tech savvy coworker you have who goes to shady websites and always has malware.

That's every cop.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Supplemental Viewing: A penetration tester's entertaining presentation about 'no tech' hacking

Note: Volume's a little high
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4kfsxF8Tio

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

ultramiraculous posted:

Yeah, this is basically what I'm feeling in Mr Robot. Everyone wants to have a Clintons-esque sexual politi-couple after HoC, but you can't do that if only one of the characters is doing anything plot-important. If Mrs. Tyrell starts doing things in the plot, other than complaining that the ladder-climbing isn't going fast enough, then she's not making her own destiny enough to be believably acing as part of a power couple.
Literally the last scene we saw her in she was doing the exact opposite of "complaining that the ladder-climbing isn't going fast enough." We've barely seen half the season and this subplot hasn't been going on less time than that, give it a little room to breathe. Tyrell's been a really solid foil for Elliot so far and Joanna (yes, I had to look up her name) is the only interesting female character in the show at this point, which may just be a function of her limited screen time (Hopefully Angela steps up going forward).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

DaveKap posted:

Edit: Also, the great thing that came of that scenario is the point that even these ultra-elite hackers aren't infallible with their skills. Her code still got found by the malware checker. That's a real nice touch to a show that seems to focus on how powerful hackers can be.

It wouldn't have if she had written her own code for the purpose. That's what the next scene was about. Elliot was pissed at her for using code borrowed from someone else, which was already in malware databases.

• Locked thread