Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
People itt are actually mad that they might want to revamp RE2's lovely, barely existent game mechanics for remake. :psyduck:

I'd rather have a game where the killing zombies part is actually fun instead of pivoting on a spot, considering it's like 50% of the game.

E: I basically want a rev1ish game with 6s mechanics set in a city. Is that too much to ask?

fe: yes.

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Fereydun posted:

i don't care what style it is i'm in baby

though i think re3 tonewise fits w/ action stuff a lot more since it's already partway to being there both gameplay wise and tonally

I'm glad you modded Helena out of that sequence.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Fereydun posted:

co-op during that section when the game first came out was so great
you just laid there while the other guy was goin nuts tryin to dodge everything

Don't you have to stand up the one time to shoot those explosive barrels blocking the path?

Other than that, though, yeah. Just take a breather.

Lunethex posted:

Makes me wonder: Who's the worse partner, Helena or Steve? I think Sheva gets a pass because it was more her AI that was horrific than the character herself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Helena held her own for most of the game. Steve was a complete load except for one brief area.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I don't think Steve can even qualify as a partner. That douche wouldn't even give Claire the loving lugers that he probably stole from out of that door and blocked her progress until she went and found a pair of Mac 10s for his whiny rear end :argh:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Now I kinda want to replay Wesker, Jr's sections in RE6 because treating zombie encounters like a beat-em-up was legit fun.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Backhand posted:

Makes me wonder: Who's the worse partner, Helena or Steve? I think Sheva gets a pass because it was more her AI that was horrific than the character herself.

If you worked within the AI's limitations, you could do well with it. I used to kit out a handgun and funnel all the ammunition to the CPU partner, who would obligingly use that handgun to blow the balls off a gnat at two hundred yards. AI don't "miss."

Steve is and shall always be the reverse gold standard and none shall step to his mic. He saves you twice, endangers you more than twice, and proceeds to nearly cut you in half. Helena has a mildly annoying gimmick but otherwise is a breakdancing shotgun ninja with mad wrestle skills; to question her is to gamble wit'cha health.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Helena may have had an annoying catchphrase/motivation, but once you got to China, she was fine. Plus she had the Hydra, could shoot zombies while break dancing, and had an actual voice actor behind her.

Piers is the worst sidekick in RE6, and even he's miles better than Steve. Fuckin' Brad Vickers was a more useful character than Steve.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Lunethex posted:

i don't think i did which just makes me confused

Calaveron posted:

Now I kinda want to replay Wesker, Jr's sections in RE6 because treating zombie encounters like a beat-em-up was legit fun.
correct

but really the magic is everything is fun in no mercy mercs (except dynamite zombies they are the worst)

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Backhand posted:

Don't you have to stand up the one time to shoot those explosive barrels blocking the path?

Other than that, though, yeah. Just take a breather.

Yeah you have to shoot the explosive barrels, but you can even fight Debra in the minecart from on the ground since all she'll do in that situation is a slow rear end stab attack that is easily countered by shotguns.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Wanderer posted:

If you worked within the AI's limitations, you could do well with it. I used to kit out a handgun and funnel all the ammunition to the CPU partner, who would obligingly use that handgun to blow the balls off a gnat at two hundred yards. AI don't "miss."

Steve is and shall always be the reverse gold standard and none shall step to his mic. He saves you twice, endangers you more than twice, and proceeds to nearly cut you in half. Helena has a mildly annoying gimmick but otherwise is a breakdancing shotgun ninja with mad wrestle skills; to question her is to gamble wit'cha health.

In fairness to Steve it wasn't his fault really that he was trying to cut you in half. That makes up for precisely none of his other tedious bullshit, however.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Wanderer posted:

Steve is and shall always be the reverse gold standard and none shall step to his mic. He saves you twice, endangers you more than twice, and proceeds to nearly cut you in half.

Cleeeire! Hey Cleeeire! Gotcha! Cleeeeire, where are you going? Cleeeeeeeeeere

sowry cleeire.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Steve has the advantage of being memorable, something neither Helena or Piers can lay claim to.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Klaus Kinski posted:

People itt are actually mad that they might want to revamp RE2's lovely, barely existent game mechanics for remake. :psyduck:

I'd rather have a game where the killing zombies part is actually fun instead of pivoting on a spot, considering it's like 50% of the game.

E: I basically want a rev1ish game with 6s mechanics set in a city. Is that too much to ask?

fe: yes.

I am mad you want to replace okay mechanics with lovely unfun ones

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

man nurse posted:

Steve has the advantage of being memorable, something neither Helena or Piers can lay claim to.

Piers had a lightning arm.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Helena has a tilt-a-whirl slam and breakdances while shotgunning zombies. The advantage remains with her.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

man nurse posted:

Piers was eating a delicious-looking steak.

I still can't get over how good that steak and veggies looked. Some top-notch modeling going on there.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Honestly, I think Carlos is the worst partner of any of the RE games.At least of the ones I've played. Steve at least had a backstory and stuff. I don't even know why Carlos exists.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Speaking of Carlos, I still think the UBCS is one of my favorite things about RE3 (right after Nemesis) :

- their design is rad. No STARS-like color coding, every redshirt gets roughly the same military-surplus looking garbage gear.
- they are all fuckups, from "tragic dumb heroes" like Mikhail, to "well meaning morons" like Carlos to "legit rear end in a top hat" like Nikolai.
- they really cement how comically evil Umbrella is. Umbrella send mercenaries to save their scientists, BUT they make sure to set that plan to fail by having the real objective be to have operatives collect combat data about the BOWs, BUT they only hire absolute assholes like Nikolai to collect that data, ensuring that at some point one of those operatives will betray his colleagues for an even higher pay. So in the end, they lose their scientists, their soldiers and also most likely the combat data if Nikolai runs into the Nemesis they themselves released on the city.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

man watching the stuff for the RE0 remaster it is kinda weird how much they upped Rebecca's makeup for her in-game model in comparison to publicity stuff. Like you compare the model they have of her for the T-shirt contest and compare it to what she is going to look like in-game and she looks a lot more gussied up.

Ah well, maybe it will look better in the low-light conditions of the game

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Wait, people actually liked RE6's gameplay? It pretty much killed any interest that anyone had in the drat series, and now they have to rely on gimmicky handheld games/ports and remakes to make anyone care. gently caress RE6.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sheen Sheen posted:

Wait, people actually liked RE6's gameplay? It pretty much killed any interest that anyone had in the drat series, and now they have to rely on gimmicky handheld games/ports and remakes to make anyone care. gently caress RE6.

Resident Evil 6's core gameplay is legitimately very good. The bulk of complaints about the game are not about the core gameplay but about the gimmick stages and the fact that so few stages actually rely on that core gameplay, with a helping mix of "this didn't explain things well enough." Even when the game came out a lot of reviews were like 'the Mercenaries mode is great because you can just play the game instead of being shunted into terrible vehicle segments."

Like RE6's problem isn't its core gameplay, it is the level design. The actual core brawler/gun combination gameplay is legitimately well designed. You just don't get to play with it enough since they go to gimmick segments so often.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 4, 2015

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Flytrap posted:

Piers had a lightning arm turned into Megaman.

fixed

and re6 in terms of enemy design and mechanics is one of the best third person shooters made which sounds loving insane because of how the campaign is one of the worst campaigns ever made
just play no mercy mercs and nothing else

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I liked the analog controls for HD REMake, and the pre-rendered camera angles are more cinematic. If they did it retro style, it'd be cool. Honestly, an action style remake of RE2 is pretty much what I hoped ORC would be, but instead that game ended up being not good, much to my dismay.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

WitchFetish posted:

- they really cement how comically evil Umbrella is. Umbrella send mercenaries to save their scientists, BUT they make sure to set that plan to fail by having the real objective be to have operatives collect combat data about the BOWs, BUT they only hire absolute assholes like Nikolai to collect that data, ensuring that at some point one of those operatives will betray his colleagues for an even higher pay. So in the end, they lose their scientists, their soldiers and also most likely the combat data if Nikolai runs into the Nemesis they themselves released on the city.

It's not quite like that. The rank-and-file mercenaries were told to rescue civilians, and some of them even managed to do so, but they were thrown directly into the poo poo and didn't have a great survival rate. The higher-ranked guys were given additional parameters, like destroying evidence (Umbrella didn't think the government would go so far as to nuke the place and were fighting against that decision right up until the end), securing VIPs, and so on. Then Nikolai decides near the end that hey, I'm one of the last guys standing, why not kill everybody else so I can name my rate?

The Nemesis would've ignored him for the most part. The only reason why he kills Nikolai in one of the endings is because Nikolai is busily shooting at Jill at the time, and Nemmy gets jealous.

NikkolasKing posted:

Honestly, I think Carlos is the worst partner of any of the RE games.At least of the ones I've played. Steve at least had a backstory and stuff. I don't even know why Carlos exists.

I don't mind Carlos if only because you can exploit his presence for a relatively sedate Nemesis kill at one point. NPCs that I can actually get some use out of will always be higher in my books than ones who are basically there to screw up and cost time.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

ImpAtom posted:

Resident Evil 6's core gameplay is legitimately very good. The bulk of complaints about the game are not about the core gameplay but about the gimmick stages and the fact that so few stages actually rely on that core gameplay, with a helping mix of "this didn't explain things well enough." Even when the game came out a lot of reviews were like 'the Mercenaries mode is great because you can just play the game instead of being shunted into terrible vehicle segments."

Like RE6's problem isn't its core gameplay, it is the level design. The actual core brawler/gun combination gameplay is legitimately well designed. You just don't get to play with it enough since they go to gimmick segments so often.

Yeah, I'm really surprised by how many people are coming out of the woodwork to say RE6's controls sucked. Other than Leon's 1st chapter, the actual movement, melee, and shooting mechanics were the best part of the game.

e: edit for dumb grammar stuff

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 4, 2015

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Mogomra posted:

Yeah, I'm really surprised by how many people are coming out of the woodwork to say RE6's controls sucked. Other than Leon's 1st chapter, the actually movement, melee, and shooting mechanics were the best part of the game.

Yeah, there's a lot of things wrong with RE6 but not the controls. I'll tell you what those things are when we get to the church/hidden lab/other location further away!

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Aw, I kinda liked Carlos. He was incompetent, annoying, panicky, and had a horribly inconsistent accent, but he was kinda goofy-cute in his earnestness. He was a dork, but he never actively got in the way like Helena or Steve. Also, it doesn't hurt that the one time he started getting genuinely angsty, Jill slapped the poo poo out of him, and that was glorious.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I think people say RE 6 controlled badly because the game does a piss poor job of explaining the new controls. When you have to look up a fanmade outside guide to understand how to play the game well because the tutorial is nothing more than a scripted setpiece that doesn't explain poo poo and the manual is one small sheet of paper, there's a problem.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Speedball posted:

Straight up. Put some EFFORT into it. Introduce transformative elements, switch puzzle solutions and jumpscares around.

Maybe even something that changes stuff up as much as Crimson Heads did. You don't need crimson heads exactly but they forced you to really think about which zombies you could afford to ignore and which you couldn't. Very tricky for a game where you had to backtrack so much.

Mountain Lightning posted:

Maybe have it so killing zombies attracts lickers to the room to feed on the corpses?

I hope they include some new areas to explore like the REMake did, as well as utilizing the Scenario A/B thing a bit better. I mean, the only actual changes you could do in A that affected B were taking the stuff in the Armory, accessing the special laboratory with your fingerprints, and using the anti-BOW gas. Maybe have something like the fire on the roof from the helicopter being optional to put out, and if you let it keep going you don't access something useful in A... but the fire damage from letting the fire rage in A allows you to access someplace in B you wouldn't normally be able to get to once you put the fire out.
The original technically had a whiff of this, but perhaps making the fact that the police station was "under siege" a greater part of the gameplay could be something to explore? Instead of something as simple as choosing which of two shutters should work, your actions inside the police station could attract enemies which eventually break through (or converge in the case of lickers) and make areas inaccessible (or at least very dangerous to traverse) until you're forced to retreat into the sewers? Conversely, things like crashing helicopters, fires, and Mr. X, would occasionally open up replacement paths to the ones overrun.

Could even make it so the police station was connected to a few neighboring buildings, sort of a mini-RE3 city, with each having a different sorta feel and a different story associated with it. (And possibly alternate ways to enter the sewers.) I think something like this could change up what the player expects in a similar fashion to the REmake, but in a way that's grounded in RE2 rather than the original.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Lickers as Crimson Heads for REmake 2 could work since in the silly game lore, Lickers are basically an advanced mutation of Crimson Heads anyway. So gunning down zombies could lead to Crimson Heads 10 minutes later and then Lickers another 10 after that.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Mogomra posted:

Yeah, I'm really surprised by how many people are coming out of the woodwork to say RE6's controls sucked. Other than Leon's 1st chapter, the actual movement, melee, and shooting mechanics were the best part of the game.

See , I think that says a lot about how bad the game is. I thought the shooting mechanics were the worst in the whole series--I remember it being impossible to loving hit anything, and I never had that problem with any other game in the series. And the melee was terrible too, it was basically all lovely QTEs except they were outside of a cutscene and you didn't necessarily die if you failed. The animations might be fun to watch 2 or 3 times, but they got old real fast. And this is all supposed to be the best part of the game?

Hell, the enemy design was poo poo too--whoever designed them took a page out of the Transformers movie CGI manual and just turned everything into a garbled mess that looked like a 2-year-old angrily scribbled on a piece of paper, and they're all unfun bullet sponges on top of that. Ustanak was kind of cool, but by the end of the incessant QTE battles I was so sick of him that I can't remember him with any fondness.

And it's kind of a minor problem in a game so lovely, but the music sucked too an was the worst in the series. The only thing I enjoyed about the game was that they clumsily tried to shoehorn in some sort of "deadbeat dad" character trait for Wesker, but I enjoyed it more because it was silly enough to make me laugh when playing Wesker Junior's snooze of a campaign.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sheen Sheen posted:

And the melee was terrible too, it was basically all lovely QTEs except they were outside of a cutscene and you didn't necessarily die if you failed.

I... don't think you understood melee combat. :psyduck:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Sheen Sheen posted:

See , I think that says a lot about how bad the game is. I thought the shooting mechanics were the worst in the whole series--I remember it being impossible to loving hit anything, and I never had that problem with any other game in the series. And the melee was terrible too, it was basically all lovely QTEs except they were outside of a cutscene and you didn't necessarily die if you failed. The animations might be fun to watch 2 or 3 times, but they got old real fast. And this is all supposed to be the best part of the game?

Hell, the enemy design was poo poo too--whoever designed them took a page out of the Transformers movie CGI manual and just turned everything into a garbled mess that looked like a 2-year-old angrily scribbled on a piece of paper, and they're all unfun bullet sponges on top of that. Ustanak was kind of cool, but by the end of the incessant QTE battles I was so sick of him that I can't remember him with any fondness.

Really? Dude whose arm explodes into a huge monster roid arm, insane ostrich creature, and upside-down bug-man struck you as generic messes? And, I've got no clue what you're talking about with regards to the shooting, because it's the same as it's always been, except you can walk while shooting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

Really? Dude whose arm explodes into a huge monster roid arm, insane ostrich creature, and upside-down bug-man struck you as generic messes? And, I've got no clue what you're talking about with regards to the shooting, because it's the same as it's always been, except you can walk while shooting.

It doesn't have the laser sight aiming by default but you can turn that on. I found it a bit easier with it on.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Anonymous Robot posted:

I didn't necessarily say they were generic, I just said they were boring, ugly (not in terms of "they're monsters, gross", I meant it in terms of "these are terribly drawn enemies that look like poo poo"), unfun, and unmemorable. Huge monster roid arm-style of enemy has basically been in almost every RE game since 2. I don't remember that style of enemy specifically in this game, but I'm assuming he became an even more annoying bullet sponge after his arm exploded. I honestly can't recall whatever ostrich thing you're talking about, and upside-down bug man fits every quality I listed above. And I'm glad you enjoyed the shooting, I didn't see what was so great about it to label it the "best in the series" or whatever someone else implied in this thread.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

it's all qtes bro, what's there to get??

god gfycat did nothing to shrink these things at all thanks alot webm, file format of the future!!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Lickers as Crimson Heads for REmake 2 could work since in the silly game lore, Lickers are basically an advanced mutation of Crimson Heads anyway. So gunning down zombies could lead to Crimson Heads 10 minutes later and then Lickers another 10 after that.
Could even include a half-way point between Lickers and Crimson Heads, if you wanted to add a new enemy type. That enemy type being a Crimson Head with more 3D mobility, being able to jump you from above or rush up bookcases or other furniture to get at you from below. Also, Brad Lickers secret boss.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

You shoot an enemy in the face, then run up to him and press a QTE button that appears on screen. Wheee, how fun and innovative :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Could even include a half-way point between Lickers and Crimson Heads, if you wanted to add a new enemy type. That enemy type being a Crimson Head with more 3D mobility, being able to jump you from above or rush up bookcases or other furniture to get at you from below. Also, Brad Lickers secret boss.

Didn't one of the Outbreak games have exactly this?