Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
just2410
Nov 18, 2012
If the NDP is elected and abolishes FPTP, the Greens will actually be able to win a significant number of seats. So you if want a Green government down the road, the best way to achieve that would be to vote NDP in this election if they have a chance of winning in your riding. If they don't have a chance in your riding, then it doesn't really matter whether you vote NDP or Green anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

jm20 posted:

I, too, pay $55 a day. I would assume you pay the daycare and it direct bills the gov for the remainder of the cost. I'm curious how the numbers will play out, if ECE will get raises from near poverty for a college education.

I wouldn't assume that, I'm looking into it and he's said 370,000 spots to cost $1.87b or $21 a day. Add $15 and daycare is getting paid $36 a day, pretty much the minimum you'd pay now. He also said that private places would co-exist (I think? His answer is kind of weird).

quote:

Q: What’s the role of for-profit day care centres in the NDP plan?

A: We had two boys. (Both are now in their 30s.) Greg went to a child care where we lived in Montreal. It was private. The owner contacted me when this system in Quebec was brought in. Her name was Sharon. She said, ‘I’ve built this business, I’m a reliable partner, we’re doing this at rates comparable to anybody else, I can make a profit if I access the funds.’ The Sharons of this world should be reassured we’re going to make sure they’re included. If there’s a big box that owns 100 child cares and thinks they can turn a huge profit, that’s not the type of business we’ll be looking to be part of this plan.

Edit: I'm just trying to figure out if he's saying "Everybody can get a meal at a restaurant for $7" vs "Every meal at every restaurant will cost $7". After shopping for daycares, the quality can vary quite a bit.

Postess with the Mostest has issued a correction as of 18:30 on Aug 4, 2015

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

jm20 posted:

I, too, pay $55 a day.

drat that's over a third of my take home pay and I make a pretty decent wage.

I still think we'd be much better off as a society if we implemented mincome and people just raised their kids themselves.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

just2410 posted:

If the NDP is elected and abolishes FPTP, the Greens will actually be able to win a significant number of seats. So you if want a Green government down the road, the best way to achieve that would be to vote NDP in this election if they have a chance of winning in your riding. If they don't have a chance in your riding, then it doesn't really matter whether you vote NDP or Green anyways.

The Greens actually have a shot to win my riding, and our candidate is super cool and good. Otherwise I might be holding my nose and voting strategically, which is something that I have fortunately never had to do before because up until now I've been a solid NDP supporter in an NDP stronghold. My issue is less with people not voting green (seriously) and more with the level of discourse in this thread about them. It's no different than if whenever someone brought up the BCNDP there was a huge dogpile of unironic ~FAST FERRIES~. We are far too quick to draw black and white lines about who the good guys and bad guys are without actually thinking about the issues and positions.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My son's mom stayed home, but for her second kid (not mine) she got into the 7$/day care in Quebec and will be able to work. This is definitely for the best.

I only had to pay for daycare after my son entered kindergarten, which was about 550/month. Still not cheap, but all day kindergarten definitely helped there.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ZShakespeare posted:

Remind me again how we (and I say we because I did it too) justified voting for the NDP over the Liberals back when voting NDP was "throwing your vote away" before the 2011 election.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the per-vote subsidy did exist for a while in the 2000s. In that case it made a fair bit of sense to just vote for the party you liked best.

But I too have only ever lived in 'crushing Tory majority' territory. There was a period in the provincial election where the NDP candidate was actually beating local moron Ric McIvor, but sadly good things are not meant to last. Nenshi is the only person I've ever voted for who's won an election.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

EvilJoven posted:

I still think we'd be much better off as a society if we implemented mincome and people just raised their kids themselves.

Agreed. Another reason why mincome is a good idea!

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

The loving greens are trying to unseat Murray Rankin in Victoria, who is maybe the most environmentally conscious and savvy MP in parliament.

And they have so much goddamn money they are throwing at it as well, can't they target a conservative riding instead or at least someone who isn't a environmental lawyer and advisor to the first nations on pipeline resistance

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Alctel posted:

The loving greens are trying to unseat Murray Rankin in Victoria, who is maybe the most environmentally conscious and savvy MP in parliament.

And they have so much goddamn money they are throwing at it as well, can't they target a conservative riding instead or at least someone who isn't a environmental lawyer and advisor to the first nations on pipeline resistance

Yeah this really pisses me off. The green candidate is a journalist with no environmental experience and her husband is head of the local business association. So on one hand we have a passionate environmentalist and lawyer with an impressive track record of victories, and on the other a journalism teacher involved in cheer-leading the needs of business. If this doesn't sum up the Green party and what is actually stands for I don't know what does. The greens would have to run David Suzuki or something to even begin to compete with the environmental or political chops of Murray Rankin.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Nenshi is the only person I've ever voted for who's won an election.
I've actually been lucky enough to vote for three candidates who've won, but they've all been provincial and two have been Liberals, so not exactly tossing my vote away on an NDP protest vote. The third was a New Democrat, but that was just this past election, when ANDP was the only not-Wildrose, not-PC game in town.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah this really pisses me off. The green candidate is a journalist with no environmental experience and her husband is head of the local business association. So on one hand we have a passionate environmentalist and lawyer with an impressive track record of victories, and on the other a journalism teacher involved in cheer-leading the needs of business. If this doesn't sum up the Green party and what is actually stands for I don't know what does. The greens would have to run David Suzuki or something to even begin to compete with the environmental or political chops of Murray Rankin.
They're loving garbage poo poo. Worthless party with a terrible leader.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

THC posted:

Your Political Party is a Piece Of poo poo.

e: nice stealth edit.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
Their Fort St. office is always busy now though, and they're going to have downtown covered the next three months with all those kids who usually just want to talk to you about amnesty international or the Red Cross. I wouldn't be surprised if they spend more on Victoria than everywhere else put together (I was out in Saanich yesterday and the May signs are already out in force; I think it's a safe seat at this point).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

THC posted:

Heh, David Suzuki would be perfect for them!

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

PT6A posted:

Heh, DavidSaint Suzuki would be perfect for them!

FTFY

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Canadian media covering the campaign issues that really matter

quote:

Angela Mulholland, CTVNews.ca
Published Tuesday, August 4, 2015 10:46AM EDT
Last Updated Tuesday, August 4, 2015 12:42PM EDT

Conservative Leader Stephen Harper returned to using Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau's full name during a campaign speech Tuesday, but was still forced to field more questions about why he’s repeatedly referred to his opponent by just his first name.

On Monday, the first full day of the election campaign, Harper referred to Trudeau several times as "Justin" while addressing a rally of supporters in Kingston, Ont.

But on Tuesday, while promising a new home renovation tax credit during a campaign stop in Toronto, Harper returned to using the full names of both his main opponents.

CTV's Laurie Graham asked Harper about his choice of words and whether he was concerned that Canadians might find it disrespectful or belittling for one party leader to refer to another by his first name. Harper replied he uses many names for the Liberal leader.

"I use that sometimes and sometimes I don't," Harper said. "That's how, in our experience, Canadians generally refer to him, because that is how the Liberal party itself has branded him."

For his part, Trudeau is brushing off the moniker choice. When CTV's Omar Sachedina asked him about Harper's choice of names, Trudeau chose to ignore the question. When asked about it again by another reporter, Trudeau responded, "Clearly, it's a distraction." He then went on to say he is "staying focused on Canadians."

Ahead of Harper's address Tuesday, Conservative campaign spokesman Kory Teneycke tried to fend off further questions on the moniker matter by addressing reporters privately. He said Trudeau himself has been running his campaign from a website simply titled Justin.ca and has been using banners with just his first name as well.

"I think the Liberal Party invested a lot of money into branding him as Justin and not surprisingly, that's how most Canadians know him," he said.

He said Harper has used many names for Trudeau from "Leader of the third party" to "Mr. Trudeau," but for their advertising, they are referring to Trudeau "as he is known, and he is known as 'Justin'," Teneycke said.

Anna Esselment, a political science professor at the University of Waterloo, says there is likely more of a deliberate strategy in Harper's name choice.

"When you refer to somebody just by their first name, it feeds into the Conservative strategy of defining Justin Trudeau as young and inexperienced," she told CTV News Channel Tuesday morning.

She said Harper would likely never begin referring to NDP Leader Thomas Mulcair as "Tom," but he does appear willing to use a less formal first name for an opponent as young as Trudeau.

As well, Esselment says Harper may be trying to avoid using the "Trudeau" name because many Canadians – especially those in their '60s and '70s – still have an emotional attachment to the name made famous by the Liberal leader’s father, former prime minister Pierre Trudeau.

"I imagine that Stephen Harper wants to cut that off," Esselment said. "So by not saying 'Trudeau,' he doesn't make that connection that many voters make to Trudeau's dad."
It's gonna be a loooooooooong few months :suicide:

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

You think the media would be trying to hard ball the gently caress out of him now that he is actually making himself available for questions. Spineless.

Also apparently the taxpayer funded 24 hours propaganda series is now featured on the conservatives website. Elections Canada apparently is a laughing stock now

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
You can thank our Strong Stable Conservative Majority for the defanging of what is supposed to be our electoral watch dog

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009
I know it's not exactly front-page news, but I honestly found the article interesting.

Although I'd like it if Justin Trudeau responded by referring to Dear Leader simply as "Stevie".

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
This country is stupid and filled with idiots.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I can't wait to save up to $600 a year just by spending up to $10k on home renovation.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

EvilJoven posted:

drat that's over a third of my take home pay and I make a pretty decent wage.

If you think $55 a day is a lot, that is for a toddler which is the middling rate. Infants will cost you real :10bux: x 7+, which is still cheaper than major urban areas.

Compare the Ikantski and my own rate to this.

Now imagine having two or more children in daycare at the same time :suicide: You end up with one income of a dual income household paying for childcare, or you're still underwater on the costs.

Daycare costs are a big issue you see.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The media's full of Liberals and Liberals gotta Lib. Always Libbing about poo poo that doesn't matter like Harper being vaguely disrespectful.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003
Because feigning indignity over minor matters of decorum is solely a liberal phenomenon :circlefap:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
You know you could always try posting in the manner that you hope other people will post instead of wallowing in your own self righteous indignation.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Helsing posted:

You know you could always try posting in the manner that you hope other people will post instead of wallowing in your own self righteous indignation.

gently caress you, dad

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

THC posted:

The media's full of Liberals and Liberals gotta Lib. Always Libbing about poo poo that doesn't matter like Harper being vaguely disrespectful.

Yeah....gently caress you.

We honestly do not give a single poo poo about this. We refer to him as Justin in our communications, and yes, focusing on poo poo that does matter.

But yeah, keep strawmanning us.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

We honestly do not give a single poo poo about this. We refer to him as Justin in our communications, and yes, focusing on poo poo that does matter.

It's be easier to take Liberal protestations of "not caring about trivial bullshit" seriously if you guys weren't on day three of complaining about Tom not taking questions on Sunday.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

75 days to go

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
It's just more unnecessary proof that journalists are the dullest and dumbest animals on the planet. Not a spark of meaningful thought in the empty space between a journalist's ears, I guarantee you.

Pinterest Mom posted:

75 days to go

Thanks a lot for this extended shitshow "Stephen".

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

75 days to go
Hahahaha :suicide:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Here I am hoping the reno tax credit was just a bad nightmare.

Jk, give the Canadian people more debt rope to hang themselves with.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Tiny bit of credit where it's due, I was pleased to see the media asking Harper to defend massively increasing the cost of the election to taxpayers.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Cultural Imperial posted:

Isn't that a dream for you? More idiot Vancouverites living farther beyond their means, racing faster towards the wall. Please try to keep your pants clean.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

An expensive, and unnecessary, extended election campaign.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Cultural Imperial posted:

People might think that everyone gave up on talking about "industrial strategy" or "champion industries" after the 1980s but really we just decided that instead of encouraging more American branch plants to locate in southern Ontario our national strategy was going to be inflating housing bubbles.

Pinterest Mom posted:

It's be easier to take Liberal protestations of "not caring about trivial bullshit" seriously if you guys weren't on day three of complaining about Tom not taking questions on Sunday.

I find it fascinating that the Liberal (and to some extent Conservative) messaging strategy for Mulcair is that he's no different from Harper - just another mean spirited control freak with no principles.

I say fascinating because this seems to be exactly the kind of leader Canadians like to elect. Like in that Conservative ad where they point out that Mulcair was first elected as a Liberal I couldn't help but wonder "did that line really land with focus groups? Because I can imagine a lot of people whose votes the NDP will need don't see that as a negative."

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

jm20 posted:

Now imagine having two or more children in daycare at the same time :suicide: You end up with one income of a dual income household paying for childcare, or you're still underwater on the costs.

Daycare costs are a big issue you see.

This is pretty much why my ex-wife and I decided that it was best for her to just be a stay at home mom instead of her working and finding daycare. Even if she were able to out-earn the daycare costs it would be a whole lot of work for a very marginal financial return and just wasn't worth it in the long run. Being a home maker has it's own set of personal and emotional stresses though and not all people are cut out for it (as I have found out all too well :shepface: ). There needs to be a system in place to help those who want to do it while allowing those who don't or can't to have affordable care for their children while they re-enter the work force.

I suppose in an ideal world parents of young children can get free or heavily subsidized ECE training if they want to so they can run good day cares for those who want to go back to work. That way those stay at home moms would actually be contributing to the available day care pool and would also be able to earn some extra income from those who want to work. Subsidize the rates to help out those who can't afford the care and to make sure that these new day cares are profitable enough and you might have a system that sustains itself well enough and ensures that new parents have more options for raising their kids.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Helsing posted:

I say fascinating because this seems to be exactly the kind of leader Canadians like to elect. Like in that Conservative ad where they point out that Mulcair was first elected as a Liberal I couldn't help but wonder "did that line really land with focus groups? Because I can imagine a lot of people whose votes the NDP will need don't see that as a negative."

I haven't really seen this line of attack on Mulcair, but it is interesting if they're running with it, because I agree that Canadians (arguably not just Canadians) seem to gravitate towards the type. One man's "mean-spirited control freak with no principles" is another man's "strong pragmatic leader", after all.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

ZShakespeare posted:

Because feigning indignity over minor matters of decorum is solely a liberal phenomenon :circlefap:

bunnyofdoom posted:

Guys, it's THC. He's seriously a contender for Worst Poster in CanPol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Guys, it's THC. He's seriously a contender for Worst Poster in CanPol.
There is no worse poster than Hal, man.

• Locked thread