Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

EccoRaven posted:

or accept that we live in a politically diverse society and someone can believe silly or even dangerous things and still be an otherwise pleasant person and good friend.

This is really the right answer. I mean y'all saw my like radical anti-psychiatry side a couple dozen pages back, but I have friends who swear by their Klonopin. The ish really comes up when we're trying to determine political/legal stuff. This coming election is gonna be a doozy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

EccoRaven posted:

or accept that we live in a politically diverse society and someone can believe silly or even dangerous things and still be an otherwise pleasant person and good friend.

I wish everyone could follow this line of thinking.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
i dont let my kids watch winnie the pooh because i dont want them idolizing a fat virgin

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Tremendous Taste posted:

Every single one!

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

uranus posted:

i dont let my kids watch winnie the pooh because i dont want them idolizing a fat virgin

They probably do anyway dad

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Mar 27, 2020

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

uranus posted:

Clickhole

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Are they keeping you outdoors :stonk:

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
In other news BOOYAH thanks tumblr for giving me a couple good movie league weeks riding on Paper Towns

next up: four screens of Shaun the Sheep because literally every person I know under the age of ten is STOKED for Shaun the Sheep

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

EccoRaven posted:

help I accidentally agreed to a three hour layover in dallas and it is *literally* a zillion degrees. if I die someone run my mafia game I'm opening in a week.

The heat index isn't even 100!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

EccoRaven posted:

I guess it maybe just depends on what's important to you?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Absolutely, yourself or others

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

EccoRaven posted:

Nah.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I demand ideological purity in both myself and those that I'm close to.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Whoa there adolf

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Tremendous Taste posted:

Absolutely, yourself or others

Lol

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

it's part of being a healthy and well-adjusted adult in a functioning democracy; rather than sever at the first misalignment of your values try engaging with them - you might even learn a thing or two. And if they believe truly repugnant things and are unwilling to soften or apply nuance to their beliefs, well, luckily we live in a democracy. eventually society will pass them by and put their beliefs into irrelevancy.

in other news while I am inside an air conditioned terminal I can still feel the heat squeezing through. though I think I'm also sick so maybe it's just that.

Engage them how? How would you go about engaging a new Facebook friend who has opinions you find, at surface, gross? Would you argue in the comments, message them personally about politics, or not bring up the subject at all to begin with?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

EccoRaven posted:

let me tell you about my good friend tremendous taste,

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I m o

Casual friends : ignore and possibly unfollow posts on social media while remaining friends/followers etc

Close friends : engage personally and learn their mindset, agree to disagree or not bring it up again

This is of course wrt thoughts rather than actions, if your pal is out murdering kids it's not a good metric

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

let me tell you about my good friend tremendous taste,

It's touching that you'd praise me publicly for being so tolerant of your nonsense

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Honestly all I usually do is keep them as friends but hide them from my news feed.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

BottleKnight posted:

Engage them how? How would you go about engaging a new Facebook friend who has opinions you find, at surface, gross? Would you argue in the comments, message them personally about politics, or not bring up the subject at all to begin with?

What I've found works is listening to the other person and giving them an honest chance to sell you on their opinions. Yeah, they probably won't change your mind, but if you make a genuine attempt to see where they're coming from / respect their point of view, they're more likely than not to do the same for you.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I find it more and more difficult to unconditionally love my parents because of the horribly racist poo poo that comes out of their mouths

MrThingyman
Mar 8, 2014
Hi guys :)

I just wanted to stop by, say hello, and let you all know that the 2015 Mafia Championship Finale Game has officially begun!

Link to game thread: http://www.mafiauniverse.net/threads/269-The-2015-Mafia-Championship-Finale

70 representatives from 70 different communities have battled it out since April, and now it's time to crown the ultimate winner -- the internet's reigning forum mafia champion.

I hope you'll enjoy the read, and I hope I'll see your community represented again in season 3. OR, even better, I hope I'll see you for any other upcoming fun cross-community events - we're gonna do a Hydra game where players can sign up in pairs, which should be a ton of fun :)

In case you're interested in talking with others about the game (or if you just want to shoot the breeze with other mafia enthusiasts), we are a horde of 110+ people on Skype spectating the game. Add me, if you'd like an invite: thingyman

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

For me what someone believes politically is not an ancillary part of them that can be separated from the rest of them easily. All the parts create a narrative that shapes the way I think about that person. If someone spouted out inflammatory stuff on their Twitter feed constantly (I don't check Fbook anymore) I'd unfollow them. I can respect a lot of views and like to argue/discuss politics and beliefs but there are quite a few people I'm not going to deal with, and I don't have to waste an hour of my time to figure that out.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

MrThingyman posted:

I just wanted to stop by, say hello, and let you all know that the 2015 Mafia Championship Finale Game has officially begun!

Link to game thread: http://www.mafiauniverse.net/threads/269-The-2015-Mafia-Championship-Finale

70 representatives from 70 different communities have battled it out since April, and now it's time to crown the ultimate winner -- the internet's reigning forum mafia champion.

I hope you'll enjoy the read, and I hope I'll see your community represented again in season 3. OR, even better, I hope I'll see you for any other upcoming fun cross-community events - we're gonna do a Hydra game where players can sign up in pairs, which should be a ton of fun :)

In case you're interested in talking with others about the game (or if you just want to shoot the breeze with other mafia enthusiasts), we are a horde of 110+ people on Skype spectating the game. Add me, if you'd like an invite: thingyman

Awesome! I'll make sure to take a look.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

MrThingyman posted:

Good luck with the finale!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

BottleKnight posted:

For me what someone believes politically is not an ancillary part of them that can be separated from the rest of them easily. All the parts create a narrative that shapes the way I think about that person. If someone spouted out inflammatory stuff on their Twitter feed constantly (I don't check Fbook anymore) I'd unfollow them. I can respect a lot of views and like to argue/discuss politics and beliefs but there are quite a few people I'm not going to deal with, and I don't have to waste an hour of my time to figure that out.

:agreed:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

A person's political leanings, or how close they are to yours, are in no way a testament or even predictor of their character

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Tremendous Taste posted:

A person's political leanings, or how close they are to yours, are in no way a testament or even predictor of their character

I find this completely incorrect.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
People at the extremist of extreme ends of the political spectrum are generally going to be intolerable

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

BottleKnight posted:

I find this completely incorrect.

Live more.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

if you are incapable of making friends with people who disagree with your politics that more reflects you than them.

I agree, it says more about me that I am uninterested. Also, it's not all people that disagree with my beliefs, as I said before.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Everyone who has a strong opinion is insufferable the truth is in the middle vote third party Ron Paul 2012.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm a giant lefty, and a couple that I knew back in college where we were all pretty cool with each other, even though they were pretty far right, lots of stuff about gun rights and how unions were bullshit, which I just blew off for the most part. When they joined the first wave of the tea party and started cranking out giant rear end in a top hat posts on facebook in lieu of anything about their own lives, that was when I called it a day with them.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CCKeane posted:

Everyone who has a strong opinion is insufferable the truth is in the middle vote third party Ron Paul 2012.

I have an irrational urge to set any truth-in-the-middle people I run into on fire, because they inevitably use that canard as a way to be snide about having any opinion at all.

South Park Politics are literally the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Allen Wren posted:

I have an irrational urge to set any truth-in-the-middle people I run into on fire, because they inevitably use that canard as a way to be snide about having any opinion at all.

South Park Politics are literally the worst.

Um have you heard of a candidate called Rand Paul he has the soul of Ron Paul and is the truth he is in the middle the truth is in the middle.