Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yen's family is dead, basically. Tissaia de Vries was her adoptive mother and committed suicide in the books. Margarita is still her friend but most of her other friends are dead or no longer her friends due to the political bullshit the Lodge pulled.

Yen never tried to track down Geralt because she either had amnesia or was stuck in Emhyr's dungeon until relatively recently. Like, a couple months. During which time she heard he was with Triss. She's got abandonment issues, she probably thought he'd moved on and was pretty wounded. She still tries to get in contact with him later when it can help Ciri, despite her feelings. Since Ciri is her biggest priority, always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

Yen's family is dead, basically. Tissaia de Vries was her adoptive mother and committed suicide in the books. Margarita is still her friend but most of her other friends are dead or no longer her friends due to the political bullshit the Lodge pulled.

Yen never tried to track down Geralt because she either had amnesia or was stuck in Emhyr's dungeon until relatively recently. Like, a couple months. During which time she heard he was with Triss. She's got abandonment issues, she probably thought he'd moved on and was pretty wounded. She still tries to get in contact with him later when it can help Ciri, despite her feelings. Since Ciri is her biggest priority, always.

Yeah, I made a post a few weeks ago about how much I hate Yen and why. My position has softened considerably as I've gotten farther in the game and also most of the way through The Last Wish (book). It's totally bizarre to me that they would introduce Yen the way they do in the game, where her first scenes make her very unlikable.

also the Garden of Freya grew back immediately, so obviously Freya wasn't mad about it.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't really think her intro in the game makes her unlikeable though. I think people are being kind of unreasonable and applying a double standard as to what makes a character likeable.

I mean hell, she's much worse in Last Wish than she is in the start of the Wild Hunt.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

I didn't play W1, and I made it maybe a third of the way through W2 because I didn't enjoy the combat. Does that mean W3 would be a bad choice for me?

The combat in W3 is pretty decent, but not its main strength. I think many/most other posters here would agree that it's totally worth playing even if you decide the combat is poo poo, you're not missing much by just setting the combat on easiest setting.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

The Sharmat posted:

I don't really get that vibe from Geralt and Yen at all. They're more just a couple that has been together for ages and know when and when not to rib each other. Unless you play Geralt as not knowing how to do that. Then there's conflict, yeah.

Yen and the Lodge aren't supposed to be functional. They're not allies. They hate each other.

Yeah, Geralt and Yen felt to me like a long married couple. They spat and occasionally get pissed at each other, because that's what happens when you're around any human being for that long of a time. Especially when one of them is one of the most powerful sorceresses alive and the other is a mutated mercenary who earns a living by killing vicious bloodthirsty monsters, and both of them have been alive for about a century.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

I havent played the previous games or read any of the books and I thought Yen owns loving bones. Triss is cool and all, but im team Yen 4lyfe

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I was in the same position. Never played TW1, only got maybe half way through TW2 (Where I needed to get royal blood and the king told me to gently caress off.), then my save got corrupted and I would have to start over.

Just finished the tutorial open world map and my god this is amazing. So glad the devs got my money, they really deserve it more than most games.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

I don't really think her intro in the game makes her unlikeable though. I think people are being kind of unreasonable and applying a double standard as to what makes a character likeable.

I mean hell, she's much worse in Last Wish than she is in the start of the Wild Hunt.

(yeah, we talked about this a few pages back)

it's so strange that you have the perception of a doublestander in that I think she's "bitchy" because she's a woman. Similarly, but contrarily, I can't help but feeling I'm intended to give her a pass because she's attractive. I'm only to the point in The Last Wish where Geralt first meets her, and just reading the few scenes where they meet fleshes out her character so much my view of her immediately softened because I could see the human side of her better. Also, the first time she is mentioned in The Last Wish, it implies some interesting things about her and Geralt's feelings for each other, mainly that their emotional attracting is required to exist by fate and they can't really do anything about it except process it.. Obviously there's quite a bit more material to digest, so realize that I'm forming these opinions without the whole picture, but that's kind of how storytelling works, right?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yennefer's been my favorite character in the franchise since I read the proper translation of Sword of Destiny and she destroyed an entire convoy of militia while tied up, by casting spells with her feet.

Snak posted:

(yeah, we talked about this a few pages back)

it's so strange that you have the perception of a doublestander in that I think she's "bitchy" because she's a woman. Similarly, but contrarily, I can't help but feeling I'm intended to give her a pass because she's attractive. I'm only to the point in The Last Wish where Geralt first meets her, and just reading the few scenes where they meet fleshes out her character so much my view of her immediately softened because I could see the human side of her better. Also, the first time she is mentioned in The Last Wish, it implies some interesting things about her and Geralt's feelings for each other, mainly that their emotional attracting is required to exist by fate and they can't really do anything about it except process it.. Obviously there's quite a bit more material to digest, so realize that I'm forming these opinions without the whole picture, but that's kind of how storytelling works, right?
It's more because I've seen a ton of people talk about how great Lambert is while also bitching about Yennefer doing the exact same things in a less whiny and abrasive way. Maybe I'm doing you a disservice there, though. But what does she do that requires a pass? Get very briefly mad that Geralt was with another woman? I was shocked at how easy she let him off, even given circumstances.

As to the Last Wish it's left deliberately ambiguous but I don't really think that's what you're supposed to take from it. Geralt was attracted to Yennefer from the start, and Yennefer fell for him when he made the sacrifice for her of fighting the Djinn and using his Last Wish to bind them together. Them falling in love isn't really the result of magic.

Edit: Also I'm surprised that you find Yennefer mind controlling Geralt for an hour or two to beat people up for her more forgivable than how she acts at Vizima or Kaer Trolde in TW3. I just don't get your priorities, I guess.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 4, 2015

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Sindai posted:

Hell, according to SteamSpy more than 4x as many people have played Skyrim in the last 2 weeks than Witcher 3. As long as they keep mod support Bethesda has nothing to worry about.

http://steamspy.com/app/292030
http://steamspy.com/app/72850

You have to remember GoG was heavily promoted as a platform for Wild Hunt. But, yeah, most people probably own it on Steam. And considering Skyrim came out four years ago...

I see The Witcher series and The Elder Scrolls as almost different genres. I don't really play Bethesda games to be moved or intrigued by the story and characters. TES can, at its best, immerse you in its world in other ways.

Someone pointed out how refreshing it is that Geralt is an already established character and that got me thinking. Has that really been done in a RPG before? I feel it's been an unspoken rule to have the player create their character completely from scratch, probably due to the genre's PnP roots. I guess the line between RPG and action adventure like rear end Creed and GTA is blurred but I can't think of any "true" RPG with such a set main character.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

The Sharmat posted:

Yennefer's been my favorite character in the franchise since I read the proper translation of Sword of Destiny and she destroyed an entire convoy of militia while tied up, by casting spells with her feet.

haha, i need to read these books

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

You have to remember GoG was heavily promoted as a platform for Wild Hunt. But, yeah, most people probably own it on Steam. And considering Skyrim came out four years ago...

I see The Witcher series and The Elder Scrolls as almost different genres. I don't really play Bethesda games to be moved or intrigued by the story and characters. TES can, at its best, immerse you in its world in other ways.

Someone pointed out how refreshing it is that Geralt is an already established character and that got me thinking. Has that really been done in a RPG before? I feel it's been an unspoken rule to have the player create their character completely from scratch, probably due to the genre's PnP roots. I guess the line between RPG and action adventure like rear end Creed and GTA is blurred but I can't think of any "true" RPG with such a set main character.

Mass Effect is the closest, I think, and Deus Ex but even less.

Witcher breaks so many genre conventions. Being based on books is kinda weird for a videogame.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

But, yeah, most people probably own it on Steam.
CDPR announced back in June that more copies were activated on GOG than all other PC distribution platforms combined. Who knows if that's changed in 2 months.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Most final fantasy games have real main characters, some moreso than others. I honestly always hated the speechless protagonist thing, I thought it was a real hindrance to me giving a gently caress. Chrono Trigger was a cool game but Chrono was pointless. Nameless one in PS:T counts as a real character I think, he was cool, but that game was more like an animated book with an inventory. Alpha protocol guy at least had emotions, even if which ones you expressed were up to the player.

Deus Ex is a good game that probably belongs on that RPG shortlist, but I think this beats it handedly.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 4, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

Witcher breaks so many genre conventions. Being based on books is kinda weird for a videogame.

Shepard seems like a blank slate to me too, just with a very thin veneer of premade character on him-her. I'd say Geralt's one of a kind.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Snak posted:

I'm curious why you think I'm wrong about Geralt. Yennifer I understand being wrong about because I don't know very much about the character.

Geralt's really skilled but is not nearly so much of a male power fantasy in the books. He's a death machine in the games but is way more vulnerable and "realistic" (as realistic as a mutant monster slayer who loves a powerful sorceress and has an adopted daughter with superpowers can be, anyway). It makes way more sense for him to get pitchforked in the books than the games, for example.

Like The Sharmat said, Yennefer basically has no remaining friends other than Ciri, Geralt and maybe Triss. She's got a ton of issues and depth that the game doesn't really show. She may only be in love because of a Djinn. Ciri's really the only thing she's sure about.

I do think it's totally in character for her to have ignored Geralt for like 6 months though. The one thing I think is missing is that she should be way more pissed at Triss.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yennefer's issues and depth are mostly not shown because like Geralt, she's over most of them by the time of TW3.

I think Yennefer's still more friendly with Margarita than Triss, but she's barely in the game, so I guess it doesn't count.

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory

The Sharmat posted:

She's got abandonment issues, she probably thought he'd moved on and was pretty wounded.

Just started reading Time of Contempt and got to the part where Tissaia kills herself, though her full reasons aren't completely clear yet. Abandonment issues for Yen reaaallly rings true.

Spite posted:

Geralt's really skilled but is not nearly so much of a male power fantasy in the books. He's a death machine in the games but is way more vulnerable and "realistic" (as realistic as a mutant monster slayer who loves a powerful sorceress and has an adopted daughter with superpowers can be, anyway). It makes way more sense for him to get pitchforked in the books than the games, for example.

Like The Sharmat said, Yennefer basically has no remaining friends other than Ciri, Geralt and maybe Triss. She's got a ton of issues and depth that the game doesn't really show. She may only be in love because of a Djinn. Ciri's really the only thing she's sure about.

I do think it's totally in character for her to have ignored Geralt for like 6 months though. The one thing I think is missing is that she should be way more pissed at Triss.

So true. In the books I'm noticing Geralt spends a lot of time recovering from wounds. Plus, when you have multiple perspectives and internal dialogues, which you can't get in the game, you realize how much time everyone spends manipulating him, especially the magic users. Whenever he's around mages he's constantly staying focused on what he's literally observing at that moment so that they can't read anything important out of his mind. And he's always desperately poor, just like the start of the game.

Literally Esoteric fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 4, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Time of contempt spoilers Tissaia killed herself because everything she'd ever worked for collapsed at Thanedd and it was partially her fault. It's interesting though because (Spoilers for later books) Tissaia first really bonded with Yennefer over Yennefer botching a suicide attempt in the same fashion.

EDIT: Because I'm being really inconsistent with spoilers

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

Shepard seems like a blank slate to me too, just with a very thin veneer of premade character on him-her. I'd say Geralt's one of a kind.

Yeah, that's why I said the closest. I can't really think of a game that both is an RPG and has a preformed character. Lots of non-RPGs have them though.

Spite posted:

Again, not trying to argue here, I didn't say male power fantasy. I just think he's an archetype of the kind person a lot of guys see themselves as ideally, or wish they were like. He is much more vulnerable, both physically and emotionally, in The Last Wish. I'm not trying to claim he's a total mary-sue like say, Jack Reacher. I just think his character speaks to a fictional ideal.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah I get you now.

He's different in the games from the Last Wish but I don't think that's poor writng. He's a different person by the end of the books as well. In some parts of Sword of Destiny he's almost an overgrown teenager. He becomes a stronger person over time, starting from when he gets Ciri. Same thing with Yennefer.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Snak posted:

Like The Sharmat said, ME does the whole Paragon/Renegade thing. Plus you can choose to romance, like, dozens of people while never encountering an ex. It's like Shepard didn't really have a life before the games. Deus Ex is closer, I'd say, especially in the latest game. But even then, the relationship between Jensen and his wife is... barebones. Dishonored maybe? But that has very few character interactions. And both it and D Ex are barely RPGs to begin with.

Being based on books is obviously a big reason for Geralt being an established character, yeah. I didn't think of that.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
From what I remember from some interview, in The Witcher 1, they were originally going with a generic, undefined Wolf School Witcher but apparently Sapkowski actually basically just said "Why do that when you can just use Geralt?"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah I get you now.

He's different in the games from the Last Wish but I don't think that's poor writng. He's a different person by the end of the books as well. In some parts of Sword of Destiny he's almost an overgrown teenager. He becomes a stronger person over time, starting from when he gets Ciri. Same thing with Yennefer.

yeah, i think it's funny how the extremely long-lived, like Witchers and Sorceresses also seem very immature at times. Like Geralt is both old and wise and will never grow up.

out of curiousity, do the books ever really address Geralts friendships with mortals? Dandelion, for example is just a regular guy, right? I can only imagine that Roche will be pretty annoyed when he's 60 and Geralt's still as spry as Vesemir is in W3.

And while Geralt is infamous for sleeping with Sorceresses, he also sleeps with mortal women on occasion, the majority of which are like 70 years younger than him.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Witcher 3 question cause I'm not far in but it feels like I missed something. Do they explain in Witcher 3 why The daughter of a conquering nation's emperor became a Witcher of all things? (Ciri and the Niilfgard guy[i miss foltest])?

If yes, leave it at that. If it's explained in TW2/TW1 or the books that isn't gone over again in TW3, then I guess there's no reason not to spoil myself a bit.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ularg posted:

Witcher 3 question cause I'm not far in but it feels like I missed something. Do they explain in Witcher 3 why The daughter of a conquering nation's emperor became a Witcher of all things? (Ciri and the Niilfgard guy[i miss foltest])?

If yes, leave it at that. If it's explained in TW2/TW1 or the books that isn't gone over again in TW3, then I guess there's no reason not to spoil myself a bit.

I'm actually super-confused on Ciri's biodad too and how things got to their current arrangement.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

yeah, i think it's funny how the extremely long-lived, like Witchers and Sorceresses also seem very immature at times. Like Geralt is both old and wise and will never grow up.

out of curiousity, do the books ever really address Geralts friendships with mortals? Dandelion, for example is just a regular guy, right? I can only imagine that Roche will be pretty annoyed when he's 60 and Geralt's still as spry as Vesemir is in W3.
Dandelion is basically Geralt's only mortal friend at that point. Geralt is not a popular person because especially in the early books, not only is he dangerous to be around, he's just not fun to be around. He's sulky and sarcastic and annoying. Dandelion's got plenty of elven blood in him though so he ages slow.

Snak posted:

And while Geralt is infamous for sleeping with Sorceresses, he also sleeps with mortal women on occasion, the majority of which are like 70 years younger than him.

In the books he's mostly infamous for sleeping with Yennefer. He's not that big a sex maniac in there. I mean in the Last Wish he sleeps with, what, three women? Over a period of several years?

Ularg posted:

I think it's in her journal entry in the game in a barebones form but it's almost all covered in the books. It's pretty complicated. Suffice to say the Emperor didn't raise her. They were separated before he even became Emperor and she didn't know Emhyr was her father until she was like 17.

Snak posted:

I'm actually super-confused on Ciri's biodad too and how things got to their current arrangement.

If you've read the Last Wish you already saw the first part of that story. Duny is Emhyr.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Literally Esoteric posted:

Whenever he's around mages he's constantly staying focused on what he's literally observing at that moment so that they can't read anything important out of his mind.

It's p. hosed up that Yen does this to him, flagrantly, knowing that he dislikes it, simply for her own convenience. Though I'm sure Triss and Kiera et al. do it also, just without the smugness.

Cerys should have been a comedy romance option, because sorceresses are wack, and Geralt would make such an amazing prince-consort of the Iron Islands Skellige.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yennefer has trouble not reading his surface thoughts due to their closeness but I don't think they bring that up in the game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jack of Hearts posted:

Cerys should have been a comedy romance option, because sorceresses are wack, and Geralt would make such an amazing prince-consort of the Iron Islands Skellige.
I'm still sad there is nothing to the Rosa Var Attre mini-side quests other than swordplay.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

In the books he's mostly infamous for sleeping with Yennefer. He's not that big a sex maniac in there. I mean in the Last Wish he sleeps with, what, three women? Over a period of several years?

I have a theory that Dandelion, being who he is, just assumes that Geralt bangs every chick he is a alone in a room with. This greatly inflates other people's perceptions of Geralt as a womanizer. It seems like there's lots and lots of situations where Geralt meets women in private, and only very few of those times are for sex. But in dandelion's head Geralt is banging every chick he meets, because that's what Dandelion would be doing if he were Geralt and Dandelion's concept of reality is extravagantly romanticized at best.

And Dandelion is the narrator of the games, so...

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Dandelion did basically single handedly make Geralt a sex symbol through his ballads actually, yeah.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
And it's really just an extension of the theme that people's reputations grow not just from their deeds from the ignorance and views of others. Most of the people who recognize Geralt have some pretty crazy ideas of the acts of violence that he's committed as well. Even when there's seeds of truth, Geralt didn't actually drag the headless corpse of the Alderman of White Orchard all the way to Novigrad.

edit: V Dandelion literally believes that real life is every bit as epic and romantic as ballads describe it. He is always too busy on his current flight of fancy to see the evidence that he is wrong. (there are quite possibly episodes where he does face reality, but I haven't encountered them yet)

Snak fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 4, 2015

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
It's not like Dandelion doesn't believe it himself. In TW2 he was basically "help me bang this succubus"

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Dandelion is the kind of person that knows he's full of poo poo but nonetheless believes everything he says.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Ularg posted:

It's not like Dandelion doesn't believe it himself. In TW2 he was basically "help me bang this succubus"

Dandelion lecturing you on growing up and settling down when (W3 spoilers) you try to romance both Triss and Yen and end up getting chained to a bed is just hilarious.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Snak posted:

the game's quality that being so full of bugs and glitches

Haven't had that many on PC. A few weird crashes, a couple of cases where certain actions broke (e.g. couldn't run) requiring a restart, and the achievement glitch from patch 1.07. No more than most other games.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

Dandelion is the kind of person that knows he's full of poo poo but nonetheless believes everything he says.

This reminds me of another bit from The Last Wish.

In the story "The Edge of the World", Geralt and Dandelion are riding on this cart through farmland, and Dandelion is telling Geralt all this stuff about farming that he thinks he learned during his time at Oxenfurt, and when he gets done, the farmer that's driving him is like "well the only right thing you said was that the corn is tall here".

Incidentally, this is the story where they encounter a "Devil" (which turns out to be a Sylven). Of course, I don't think it's an accident that in Wild Hunt, when you ride to the edge of the map it says "You have reached the edge of the world, only devils play here".

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Ularg posted:

Book spoilers Emhyr was cursed by a rival and was pretty fugly. He shacked up with Ciri's mom and then Geralt helped break that curse, asking for the thing he didn't know he had at home. They head back and surprise, baby Ciri!
Witchers have no use for babies, so he fucks off for a few years, intending to come back for her later. He tries to take her away from her rather stern father when she's 5, but Emhyr is having none of that, and tries to trick Ciri's mother and Ciri to come with him to Nilfgaard. A storm is summoned and Ciri's mother doesn't make it. Ciri is lost in Cintra.
Later, Emhyr razes Cintra to the ground looking for Ciri, but she was taken in by another family. Geralt does another Good Deed and asks for the first thing the guy sees when he gets home. Ciri again...and that's when you get the scene of Geralt and kid-Ciri running towards each other.
Cue Kaer Morhen training montage, with the key bit that Yen isn't actually there. From there she has difficulty with signs, and it's discovered she's a Source, and then she has mage training, etc etc...basically she starts being a superpowered nomad, constantly being hunted by Nilfgaardian bounty hunters to tote back to Emhyr.

Edit: VVV Welp, so much for my memory.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Emhyr was gone and Pavetta was dead before Geralt went back to Cintra. And Geralt didn't try to take Ciri. He chickened out at the last minute after talking to her Grandmother.