Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
Just for people's reference, here's a fresh Win10 install with a mildly OCed MSI 970 Gaming 4G / i5-4670k. No voltage bump, +100 core / +450 mem.

Pretty happy with performance compared to Win7. I don't have a result from before, but I'm pretty sure I gained about 150 points. That may or may not be due to better drivers, so YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I gained performance as well, but I am more certain it was just lovely driver reinstalls. I think if I had just reinstalled Windows 8.1 I'd have seen the same bump, but its welcome nonetheless

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Driver model is different (WDDM 1.3 to 2.0) so it offers a small bump.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

lDDQD posted:

Get the nzxt kraken, it can mount the corsair pumps to any card.

The appeal of the EVGA ones was that I didn't need to fiddle with anything else, pump-wise. Maybe it's worth going all the way.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

The appeal of the EVGA ones was that I didn't need to fiddle with anything else, pump-wise. Maybe it's worth going all the way.
Are you doing it for noise or overclocking? Because I didn't get much (if any) headroom over the stock cooler, though I didn't push it much before I threw the hybrid on there. It's certainly quieter under full load, but I generally wear noise canceling headphones anyway. In all, the hybrid was probably a waste for me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Are you doing it for noise or overclocking? Because I didn't get much (if any) headroom over the stock cooler, though I didn't push it much before I threw the hybrid on there. It's certainly quieter under full load, but I generally wear noise canceling headphones anyway. In all, the hybrid was probably a waste for me.

Noise, yeah. The blowers are pretty loud under load, and I don't usually have headphones on.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I think this is the normal cycle for a lot of people. I've been down the watercooling path, and while it worked perfect... I probably wont again for GPUs.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

So MSI 970 LE is back on sale for $300 flat. Can't find any specific details but as far as I can tell this is simply a 970 with standard clockspeeds vs. pre-overclocked versions - is that correct? I really don't care about having to do a manual overclock when it's got the same cooler as their other editions.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Stock speeds, gaming cooler.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

lDDQD posted:

Get the nzxt kraken, it can mount the corsair pumps to any card.

Well, it can mount any of the Asetek-made circular pumps, for benefit of people reading. It can't mount the rectangular corsair pumps used arbitrarily across half the models of Corsair Hydro.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how do i go about overclocking a 980ti with msi afterburner?

Can I do it like my 970 where I max power limit and then move up core and memory clock until I get artifacts in heaven?

Edit:results

Ok wow i'm currently at +750 memory clock and showing no signs of instability still. This card is amazing

I went as far as +825, after that I got spots.

I keep raising the core clock 10-15 at a time but gpu-z never shows it going higher than 1366MHz. I get a display driver crash when I up the core but then it recovers and runs fine at 1366. Is that some sort of bios defined limit that it defaults to?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Aug 3, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Set memory to stock when testing your core over clock.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004
So I am thinking of getting the Zotac Amp! Extreme 980ti which has 2x 8 pin connectors. However I have this power supply: http://www.seasonicusa.com/M12II-Bronze.htm in 620W form. It only has a 6+8 pin. Plus the "8pin" is really just a cable with a loop to go from 6 wires to 8 pins. Can I just use it as such or will I be hampering the Zotac?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

poppingseagull posted:

So I am thinking of getting the Zotac Amp! Extreme 980ti which has 2x 8 pin connectors. However I have this power supply: http://www.seasonicusa.com/M12II-Bronze.htm in 620W form. It only has a 6+8 pin. Plus the "8pin" is really just a cable with a loop to go from 6 wires to 8 pins. Can I just use it as such or will I be hampering the Zotac?

im doing a 980 ti on a power supply with a 6+8 as well. Its a modular one with an additional 2 6+6s, does your have anything like that? I was able to fill the remaining 8 pin with a 6+6 to 8 adapter the card came with

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Don Lapre posted:

Set memory to stock when testing your core over clock.

did i do it in the wrong order? do i test core first then bring up the memory?

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004

Fauxtool posted:

im doing a 980 ti on a power supply with a 6+8 as well. Its a modular one with an additional 2 6+6s, does your have anything like that? I was able to fill the remaining 8 pin with a 6+6 to 8 adapter the card came with

It is modular, and came with a 6/8 pin cable and a 6 pin cable. So best I can do 14 pins (not 16). Of course, I can buy this but not sure if it is even worth it. I would think the graphics card could handle that internally just as well.

FWIW, my power usage isn't that high. The normal stuff except 2x mechanial drives for storage.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i described my cords wrong, they are actually all 6+6s with an additional 2pin to make an 8. I tried it with the 2 6 and 2s but I got a not enough power warning and it wouldnt boot. I had to use the 6 and 2 and then a 6+6 with an adaptor

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Fauxtool posted:

i described my cords wrong, they are actually all 6+6s with an additional 2pin to make an 8. I tried it with the 2 6 and 2s but I got a not enough power warning and it wouldnt boot. I had to use the 6 and 2 and then a 6+6 with an adaptor

That's very odd. 6+2 connectors should be equal to full on 8 pin connectors (because that's what they are, 8 pin connectors that are also compatible with 6 pin slots). Was that with an OC (factory or yours)

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

xthetenth posted:

That's very odd. 6+2 connectors should be equal to full on 8 pin connectors (because that's what they are, 8 pin connectors that are also compatible with 6 pin slots). Was that with an OC (factory or yours)

g1 gaming, so yeah def OC'ed.

Its fully possible one of the 2pins was not fully in

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Can't believe how butter smooth my 970FTW card is - easy install, quiet with the ACX cooler, chomps through everything I've thrown at it so far. I've only toyed with OCing a little bit but my card has Samsung RAM that, so far, has hit 1800 without a hiccup, core is running 1330 currently (from stock 1216). Ran through a few loops of Firestrike (Ultra), Heaven, and Valley, even with the fan at 40% the GPU never got past the mid-to-high 50's under full load.

Had some fun tearing around in some games, I was all hyped after watching Mad Max Fury Road so I busted open RAGE and had a little fun tearing around the desert blowing poo poo up :black101: on the upside, I'm going to give my dad my old 770 2GB card as an upgrade to his system, he's still got an old 6870 1GB and it oughta be a nice boost for all his flight sim games :)

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 3, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Fauxtool posted:

did i do it in the wrong order? do i test core first then bring up the memory?

Yes. Memory makes very little difference. Core makes the biggest difference.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Ozz81 posted:

Can't believe how butter smooth my 970FTW card is - easy install, quiet with the ACX cooler, chomps through everything I've thrown at it so far. I've only toyed with OCing a little bit but my card has Samsung RAM that, so far, has hit 1800 without a hiccup, core is running 1330 currently (from stock 1216). Ran through a few loops of Firestrike (Ultra), Heaven, and Valley, even with the fan at 40% the GPU never got past the mid-to-high 50's under full load.

Had some fun tearing around in some games, I was all hyped after watching Mad Max Fury Road so I busted open RAGE and had a little fun tearing around the desert blowing poo poo up :black101: on the upside, I'm going to give my dad my old 770 2GB card as an upgrade to his system, he's still got an old 6870 1GB and it oughta be a nice boost for all his flight sim games :)

If you're playing old titles don't forget to go into your control panel and enable DSR! That poo poo will make your games look immaculate.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Mutation posted:

If you're playing old titles don't forget to go into your control panel and enable DSR! That poo poo will make your games look immaculate.

Problem is the UI will look like it's a game for ants in a lot of them.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

xthetenth posted:

Heh, even playing Witcher at just 2560x1440 the ui is entirely too spread out.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

xthetenth posted:

This happens even in modern games. Logged in to FFXIV and thought I was going to go blind trying to scale the UI higher.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Yes I've noticed it as well, just using 1440p. I end up just moving the monitor closer lol

in fact I didnt realize DSR messed with scaling at all.

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 4, 2015

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Mutation posted:

Yep, I definitely did - hadn't used DSR before so I played around a little and have it set to 3x DSR, 15% DSR smoothness, 16x AF, 4xMFAA and everything looks and plays amazing. Only other thing I did was a re-paste on the GPU when I got the card, being that it was an EVGA B-stock card I wasn't sure how fresh the paste was. Overly cautious I guess but I got a big rear end tube of AS5 that's not even half used, so...v:shobon:v

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I sold my 280X and joined the 970 club on this computer. :toot: It's good to be back.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mutation posted:

I sold my 280X and joined the 970 club on this computer. :toot: It's good to be back.
We're glad you're back! :hfive:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
do 970 owners have bigger dilz c/d?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

confirm, I got like two extra inches shortly after installing my 970

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Yes, but the last inch isn't actually usable.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Alereon posted:

:vince:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Mutation posted:

Where'd the T-x go?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Alereon posted:

:perfect:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Alereon posted:

Some of us like to go a little slower at the end.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

Where'd the T-x go?

In my computer stored away at my friend's place while I'm across the country.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Ladies love my 970

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
My 970 increased my cup size, but the lack of overclocking headroom means back pain along with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?
Gtx 960s seem like unlikable cards here. Is it because of the price point, or do they suck for some other reason? Do they not suck when their price is 160$?