Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
If it's not going to include a heatsink why not just put the CPU in a standard envelope. Think of the money they'd save on postage!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Ak Gara posted:

If it's not going to include a heatsink why not just put the CPU in a standard envelope. Think of the money they'd save on postage!
It's not like they have to worry about pins :v:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I used to have this video card:

Not only were their boxes hilarious, their Taiwanese support team was perplexing to interact with (but friendly). When I had to RMA the card he just kept asking me "Are golden finger broken?". It took 10 minutes of:
me: What?
Him: Golden finger. Are golden finger broken?

before I realized he meant the AGP connector. I was like, what does this

have to do with video cards?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Just doing a simple GIS for video card box art delivers.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

My first video card's box wasn't near as crazy, from around 1998ish. But it had 12 whole MB of video RAM, which is as much general RAM as my advanced computer had in 1995 for playing C&C (that's 50% more than the 8 MB recommended!)

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

You guys were lucky, all the boxes I remember having as a kid were the poo poo from nightmares

Also http://wccftech.com/intel-skylake-s-lineup-list-price-i7-6700k-313-i5-6600k-225/

According to supposed reputable source price for 6700k is $313, $225 for 6600k. Seems good to me.

Botnit fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Aug 4, 2015

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Awesome, I'm so gonna upgrade from a Q6600 to 6600K :getin:

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Aug 4, 2015

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

mayodreams posted:

Just doing a simple GIS for video card box art delivers.

Well, arguably they weren't wrong about the tagline at the top.

More ontopic: I honestly had higher hopes for Skylake. No USB 3.1 support on chip seems like a cop out. I've been following the thread quite closely, but it's quite unclear to me still what the next desktop chip will be post-Skylake. I guess it's not all that strange since many chips have been pushed back by now. What's next at the moment though, Kaby lake? Released 2016 sometime? I was expecting to upgrade to Skylake but at this point I figure I might as well keep the 2500k a while longer.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What do you get out of USB 3.1?

I'm a little unsure of Intel's new roadmap but Skylake is a tick with Kaby Lake and Cannonlake both tocks.

It seems that we shouldn't get expect substantial CPU Performance gains until 2018 - the next tick.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

Tab8715 posted:

What do you get out of USB 3.1?

I'm a little unsure of Intel's new roadmap but Skylake is a tick with Kaby Lake and Cannonlake both tocks.

It seems that we shouldn't get expect substantial CPU Performance gains until 2018 - the next tick.
As for 3.1, future proofing and less hassle when installing Windows (separate drivers are a bitch). The 2500k has lasted me 4 years so far (with an external USB 3.0, mind you), I fully expect my next system to last me as long or longer. Might just wait for Kaby or Cannonlake either way, 2018 seems a bit of a stretch.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Asked in the parts thread but this seems better, is the only announced z170 mATX board coming out the ECS Blade? If it is I just hosed up my whole build because there's no way I'm buying an ECS board :negative:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

japtor posted:

Hopefully they get inspired by the old GPU boxes, like have some monk meditating with a bunch of video gamey poo poo flying out of his head.

I'm partial to "hand holding a triforce" as well

Or the Crystal Pegasus

The best was still the BLOODY MONSTER series of video cards though. Best name, best art, bar none.

~Coxy posted:

Intel can have a sexy blue-haired anime babe (holding a gun) on their CPU boxes and AMD can have a sexy red-haired robot babe (holding a gun) on their CPU boxes.

SpelledBackwards posted:

Are we too far past a dark blue background with 3D geometric shapes of various primary and secondary colors hovering over a purple-blue grid plane?
Yes.

Botnit posted:

According to supposed reputable source price for 6700k is $313, $225 for 6600k. Seems good to me.
I'm not sure I believe you'll be able to buy one that cheap this month or maybe even this year....

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

That's ok, I was actually thinking of a hypothetical Trapper Keeper cover when I mentioned the geometric figures over a plane. According to #2 here, I'm not far off: http://www.ebaumsworld.com/pictures/view/318566/

People in the thread are talking about street dates, prices, and HW support being just around the corner, but all the older hardware sites I knew to check from when I was mute of an enthusiast 10 years ago don't seem to have much of anything posted at all about Broadwell, much less Skylake. What are the sites to check these days, and if we're so close to release, why aren't we seeing more reviews and benchmarks from retail chips instead of those one year old speculated/leaked benchmarks from Wfcctech if whatever that site was called?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Botnit posted:

Seems more like the tray price directly from Intel. Boxed will likely be $339/$239 give or take 10 dollars, add 20 for early release markup

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Looks like Alpine Ridge (Intel's TB3/USB 3.1* controller) might actually get some penetration besides Macs:
http://www.kitguru.net/peripherals/anton-shilov/asmedia-and-intel-cut-prices-of-usb-3-1-chips-speed-up-adoption/

*Technically "USB 3.1 Gen 2" since the USB IF split up the branding so 3.0 stuff can be called "USB 3.1 Gen 1". Just amusing cause I'm not sure I've seen anywhere actually use those names, outside of maybe articles about the MacBook (and maybe Chromebook) pointing out the g.1 port. I'm kinda surprised none of the shady manufacturers haven't just gone back and rebranded everything "USB 3.1".

Kween
Jan 9, 2005
Not recently,no

Botnit posted:

Asked in the parts thread but this seems better, is the only announced z170 mATX board coming out the ECS Blade? If it is I just hosed up my whole build because there's no way I'm buying an ECS board :negative:

I've seen boards from asus and gigabyte. I'd expect every manufacture to have at least 2-3 boards. mATX is pretty standard these days

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

japtor posted:

*Technically "USB 3.1 Gen 2" since the USB IF split up the branding so 3.0 stuff can be called "USB 3.1 Gen 1". Just amusing cause I'm not sure I've seen anywhere actually use those names, outside of maybe articles about the MacBook (and maybe Chromebook) pointing out the g.1 port. I'm kinda surprised none of the shady manufacturers haven't just gone back and rebranded everything "USB 3.1".

Oh God... This was stupid when they did it for USB 2.0 and is stupider now. All this does is hurt their branding and confuse consumers.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Lowen SoDium posted:

Oh God... This was stupid when they did it for USB 2.0 and is stupider now. All this does is hurt their branding and confuse consumers.
Oh man I completely forgot about that, wasn't it like USB 2.0 hi speed and full speed or something?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

japtor posted:

Oh man I completely forgot about that, wasn't it like USB 2.0 hi speed and full speed or something?

Yep, but do you remember which was which?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Speeds aren't necessarily the only changes with protocol updates but yeah never put an engineer in charge of marketing

Or committee of engineers

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 4, 2015

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Lowen SoDium posted:

Yep, but do you remember which was which?
The logical side of me says full speed is the faster one...but branding wise I'm thinking since they're both "2.0", hi speed sounds relatively faster :psyboom:

Fake edit: looking it up, the real 2.0 is...hi speed.

3.1 is at least clearer in regards to the "speed" branding at least. 3.0 is just SuperSpeed USB, 3.1 is SuperSpeed USB 10Gbps.

Oh and a real edit re: a post on the last page, was 3D Nuclear Pope XL a real GPU or just a joke? Cause I've heard that name before but don't remember.

japtor fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 4, 2015

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

japtor posted:

Oh and a real edit re: a post on the last page, was 3D Nuclear Pope XL a real GPU or just a joke? Cause I've heard that name before but don't remember.

It was a photoshop done by an SHSC poster way back in the day

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

DuckConference posted:

It was a photoshop done by an SHSC poster way back in the day

The real punchline it that it was both plausible and not as ridiculous as some real products' art :v:

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

japtor posted:

The logical side of me says full speed is the faster one...but branding wise I'm thinking since they're both "2.0", hi speed sounds relatively faster :psyboom:

Fake edit: looking it up, the real 2.0 is...hi speed.

3.1 is at least clearer in regards to the "speed" branding at least. 3.0 is just SuperSpeed USB, 3.1 is SuperSpeed USB 10Gbps.

Christ. It's like they hired the guys who made the Marvel Super Heroes RPG to do naming and branding.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Xotl posted:

Christ. It's like they hired the guys who made the Marvel Super Heroes RPG to do naming and branding.

Or more likely, let the engineers do it as an afterthought.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The silliest marketing naming thing they still do is "nth Generation Core" processor. I get that Core is the brand, but within tech journalism/enthusiast they always refer to the product generation by the internal codename.

And it's sort of bizarre to use a generic, industry term as a key word in your branding. Core means something already in semiconductor parlance, why make that the backbone of your branding instead of a made-up word? (like Pentium!)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_trademark

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

canyoneer posted:

The silliest marketing naming thing they still do is "nth Generation Core" processor. I get that Core is the brand, but within tech journalism/enthusiast they always refer to the product generation by the internal codename.

And it's sort of bizarre to use a generic, industry term as a key word in your branding. Core means something already in semiconductor parlance, why make that the backbone of your branding instead of a made-up word? (like Pentium!)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_trademark

It's better than it was in the early Core days. Core, Core Duo, Core2, Core2 Duo, Core2 Quad... WTF...

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

true performance nerds buy xeon cluster farms
Spoiled, rich nerds do that. Everyone else just rents one via AWS or another cloud provider unless they run it 24/7.

Also, I want to know who the crazy people at Intel or their advertising contractor was that came up with that packaging design so I make sure I never do business with them.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

canyoneer posted:

The silliest marketing naming thing they still do is "nth Generation Core" processor.
It's a lot easier to remember in context than all the code names. The first number in Intel processor numbers is the generation number.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
All those codenames are far, far easier to run search queries for than compound number queries. SEO-optimized product names are absolutely important.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Benchmarks from wccftech:

http://wccftech.com/intel-skylake-core-i7-6700k-cpu-review-processor-gaming-performance/

Summary: the Skylake 6700K, compared to the Devil's Canyon 4790K, is faster in benchmarks, slower in actual games, probably due to the lower turbo speed (4.2 versus 4.4)

Basically, Intel is slacking off pretty bad here

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 5, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Cardboard Box A posted:

Benchmarks from wccftech:

http://wccftech.com/intel-skylake-core-i7-6700k-cpu-review-processor-gaming-performance/

Summary: the Skylake 6700K, compared to the Devil's Canyon 4790K, is faster in benchmarks, slower in actual games, probably due to the lower turbo speed (4.2 versus 4.4)

Basically, Intel is slacking off pretty bad here

Maybe it will OC well?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Maybe it will OC well?
Losing the internal prone-to-cook voltage regulator might give it another 100mhz but don't kid yourself here

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Maybe it will OC well?

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Losing the internal prone-to-cook voltage regulator might give it another 100mhz but don't kid yourself here
From the article: "Talking about OC, the Core i7-6700K has the ability to push clock speeds of up to 5.2 GHz on air cooling which will attract several enthusiasts to flock back to overclocking."

I don't know how easy that is to do though.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

They probably said that about every new chip.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Ak Gara posted:

They probably said that about every new chip.
Yeah :sigh:

When I bought a 2500K back in 2010 I thought for sure that we'd be on 8 core mainstream CPUs by now.

We aren't even up to six.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
MORE CORES FOR THE CORE GOD

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

2500k for life, bro.

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=1248499

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cardboard Box A posted:

Yeah :sigh:

When I bought a 2500K back in 2010 I thought for sure that we'd be on 8 core mainstream CPUs by now.

We aren't even up to six.

AMD can satisfy your desires there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Skandranon posted:

It's better than it was in the early Core days. Core, Core Duo, Core2, Core2 Duo, Core2 Quad... WTF...

Makes more sense than Pentium/i3/i5/i7.

Just think of a 920 as a Core 3 Quad, 2600K as Core 4 Quad, etc.