Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DanielCross posted:

Didn't one of the Outbreak games have exactly this?
I think so, though I'm not sure about the whole mobility thing either. Not in-game at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sheen Sheen posted:

You shoot an enemy in the face, then run up to him and press a QTE button that appears on screen. Wheee, how fun and innovative :effort:

That's RE4. RE6 actually has a more freeform melee combat system including non-QTE melee attacks. Like this is a case where you are straight-up explicitly wrong.

Fereydun posted:

it's all qtes bro, what's there to get??

god gfycat did nothing to shrink these things at all thanks alot webm, file format of the future!!

Some of these are good examples.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Sheen Sheen posted:

I didn't necessarily say they were generic, I just said they were boring, ugly (not in terms of "they're monsters, gross", I meant it in terms of "these are terribly drawn enemies that look like poo poo"), unfun, and unmemorable. Huge monster roid arm-style of enemy has basically been in almost every RE game since 2. I don't remember that style of enemy specifically in this game, but I'm assuming he became an even more annoying bullet sponge after his arm exploded. I honestly can't recall whatever ostrich thing you're talking about, and upside-down bug man fits every quality I listed above. And I'm glad you enjoyed the shooting, I didn't see what was so great about it to label it the "best in the series" or whatever someone else implied in this thread.

This is the best image I could find of this one. This guy's lower body explodes into the upper body of a flying insect, and he proceeds to fly around with his torso hanging upside down and shoot at you with a mac 10.

The J'avo's are weirdly underdeveloped in terms of who they actually are and what they're trying to do, but to call the designs uninspired is pretty nuts.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

This is the best image I could find of this one. This guy's lower body explodes into the upper body of a flying insect, and he proceeds to fly around with his torso hanging upside down and shoot at you with a mac 10.
The J'avo's are weirdly underdeveloped in terms of who they actually are and what they're trying to do, but to call the designs uninspired is pretty nuts.
i love those fly guys, they're free kills and sometimes you get to do sick rear end qte animations on them when they try to do their melee attack and you counter them
just straight dunk 'em into the ground and then do some barbarian poo poo to them
it's rare enough to where that long animation is always super satisfying

also lol at bullet sponge bigarm guys
i'd link the other more common attack they got that's also braindead simple to counter but the gif i got for it doesn't catch the actual swing so it's just the counter anim
not like either one of those matters anyways since they still get shredded by p much every gun and stun super easily for coup de grace kills when you're in a pinch and need to clear the crowd asap

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I have to say, melee counters alone kind of nullify the "well you just run up and press QTE button" argument. Also they're fun as hell.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
All those GIFs make me wish I got the feel of combat down because drat. In all my time playing I only managed to intentionally pull off a melee counter a couple times, the prompt always seemed to pop up for an absolutely miniscule amount of time, and by the time I realised, there was a Bloodshot gnawing on my testicles. Also playing with KB+M, dodging and rolling seemed oddly complicated and difficult to pull off at a moments notice. I don't know why I'm so bad at it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

catlord posted:

All those GIFs make me wish I got the feel of combat down because drat. In all my time playing I only managed to intentionally pull off a melee counter a couple times, the prompt always seemed to pop up for an absolutely miniscule amount of time, and by the time I realised, there was a Bloodshot gnawing on my testicles. Also playing with KB+M, dodging and rolling seemed oddly complicated and difficult to pull off at a moments notice. I don't know why I'm so bad at it.

You really can't wait for the prompt. You have to get the feel for when to dodge without it.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Bloodshots actually make for great practice, as their leaping tackle is very predictable, they can be baited into doing it, and it has a relatively generous counter window. Zombies carrying weapons also do big telegraphing wind-ups before attacking. And yeah, don't wait for the visual indicator. It's a muscle memory reflex.

Edit: I don't know anything about M+KB though.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I have to say, melee counters alone kind of nullify the "well you just run up and press QTE button" argument. Also they're fun as hell.

Agreed. I came to absolutely love disarming zombies and killing them with their own weapon; not only is it fairly easy to do (they telegraph the swing like crazy), but if they're armed it's always a guaranteed kill and an insanely effective way to get bonus time in Mercenaries. Same thing with the bloodshots; those little bastards can be bullet sponges to take down legitimately, but if you bait them into medium range they will ALWAYS go for a lunge attack, and a melee counter insta-kills them when they try it.

^ Beaten. And yeah, don't wait for the prompt. Just time it such that your kick / punch / whatever would land the instant before their attack would land on you, and it'll almost always work.

Backhand fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 4, 2015

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

DanielCross posted:

Didn't one of the Outbreak games have exactly this?

One of the bosses in the first game was the "Regis Licker," a woman who hadn't quite finished mutating into a full-blown Licker and who could basically cover an entire hotel lobby with tongue attacks.

The thing about the Licker is that they kind of established what they are; it's what happens when somebody who's already suffering from T-Virus infection gets a fresh dose from somewhere, which is why you only ever see Lickers in buildings that are connected to or close to the sewer system. Crimson Heads are what happens when a zombie's left alone for a few weeks.

It would make sense to use Lickers as the "Crimson Heads" of an RE2 remake, though, or to simply reinfest the RPD at periodic intervals. That'd add an element of tension and racing the clock to the initial police station escape.

Sheen Sheen posted:

See , I think that says a lot about how bad the game is. I thought the shooting mechanics were the worst in the whole series--I remember it being impossible to loving hit anything, and I never had that problem with any other game in the series. And the melee was terrible too, it was basically all lovely QTEs except they were outside of a cutscene and you didn't necessarily die if you failed. The animations might be fun to watch 2 or 3 times, but they got old real fast. And this is all supposed to be the best part of the game?

Hell, the enemy design was poo poo too--whoever designed them took a page out of the Transformers movie CGI manual and just turned everything into a garbled mess that looked like a 2-year-old angrily scribbled on a piece of paper, and they're all unfun bullet sponges on top of that. Ustanak was kind of cool, but by the end of the incessant QTE battles I was so sick of him that I can't remember him with any fondness.

And it's kind of a minor problem in a game so lovely, but the music sucked too an was the worst in the series. The only thing I enjoyed about the game was that they clumsily tried to shoehorn in some sort of "deadbeat dad" character trait for Wesker, but I enjoyed it more because it was silly enough to make me laugh when playing Wesker Junior's snooze of a campaign.

I'm not trying to insult you here, but these are the complaints of someone who is bad at the game, not someone who is playing a bad game.

RE6 is stone terrible at teaching a user how to play it and you can very easily get all the way through it playing it like a cover shooter, or like RE4/5, and that's also how it tends to be its least satisfying. If you do seek outside sources for learning it, that's where it starts to shine, as displayed in those video files that Fereydun is linking. The button inputs for many of those commands could stand to be a little more fluid and intuitive, to the point where it would be worth moving away from the MT Framework behind-the shoulder engine, but once you figure it out you become capable of pulling off amazing things: Helena's breakdancing, Jake taking on entire crowds at once with his bare hands, Chris throwing dudes at other dudes, Piers's Jason Bourne moveset, etc.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Nah RE6 is a bad game but the combat is fun once you get the hang of it.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

It's actually a really good game with a dumb story

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

ImpAtom posted:

You really can't wait for the prompt. You have to get the feel for when to dodge without it.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Bloodshots actually make for great practice, as their leaping tackle is very predictable, they can be baited into doing it, and it has a relatively generous counter window. Zombies carrying weapons also do big telegraphing wind-ups before attacking. And yeah, don't wait for the visual indicator. It's a muscle memory reflex.

Edit: I don't know anything about M+KB though.

Backhand posted:

^ Beaten. And yeah, don't wait for the prompt. Just time it such that your kick / punch / whatever would land the instant before their attack would land on you, and it'll almost always work.

Yeah, but as established, I'm really, really bad at it, especially when trying to deal with a bunch of zombies too. Ultimately, I just prefer the slightly slower and more gunplay oriented style of RE4.

I'm also not much of a fan of multiplayer, I kinda wish they'd dial the co-op back a bit. I figure this means I should pick up Revelations at some point.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Lord Lambeth posted:

Nah RE6 is a bad game but the combat is fun once you get the hang of it.

Jia posted:

It's actually a really good game with a dumb story

It's some mixture of these two opinions, yeah. If it was better at communicating its systems and actually had somewhat less plot, it'd probably be better-regarded.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

As I said above I feel like RE6 is a good game with bad level design. If you just had more straightforward levels and not three campaigns packed to the brim with gimmicks you'd have a much more cohesive and solid game.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I keep defending RE6 here, but the boss fight in the hive chamber or whatever that was just Chris and Piers running away was aggressively bad and unfun.

"Haha, we moved the camera again!"

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

As I said above I feel like RE6 is a good game with bad level design. If you just had more straightforward levels and not three campaigns packed to the brim with gimmicks you'd have a much more cohesive and solid game.

It's an interesting study in contrasts. RE6 has fun combat, but no one knows about most of it; it has some decent levels, but the bad ones are so bad that they overshadow the rest; it has some likable characters, but the new ones are all boneheaded in one significant way and the old ones are all in holding patterns, with no changes; the most interesting monsters are largely limited to Chris's game, which is the weakest of all four campaigns; it introduces nothing of consequence, either in the setting or for the characters, so its impact on the series is virtually nil, even though within its own plot, the stakes have rarely been higher.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I don't think RE6 is just a plain Bad Game. In a way that is what makes it interesting. It just tries to do too much. On paper "three full-length campaigns, each with their own style and they cross over with one another" sounds great but it just can't pan it out.

Honestly if you just had... I don't know, Jake and Sherry and Jake's just chilling out in a nowhere American town before it gets infested with Zombies and then you follow them fighting their way across the earth pursued by NotNemesis you've got the basis for a fun game.

It almost makes me wonder if you could somehow do an extensive mod of the game that just tied 'fun' levels back to back.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

In terms of plot, the biggest flaw of the script is that the main character, around whom the plot revolves and for whom the stakes are personal, is Clone Ada- who isn't playable.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Anonymous Robot posted:

In terms of plot, the biggest flaw of the script is that the main character, around whom the plot revolves and for whom the stakes are personal, is Clone Ada- who isn't playable.

There's probably something to that, but I'd go in a different direction: she's the unifying character for all the disparate groups, but her motivations are paper-thin and she often does things simply to be a complete cackling silent-movie villain, like when she infects those four guys at the end of Chris's flashback level. One of the big things they tell you in creative writing is that villains are not supposed to see themselves as the villains of their own story, but there's nothing else Carla can be.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Wanderer posted:

There's probably something to that, but I'd go in a different direction: she's the unifying character for all the disparate groups, but her motivations are paper-thin and she often does things simply to be a complete cackling silent-movie villain, like when she infects those four guys at the end of Chris's flashback level. One of the big things they tell you in creative writing is that villains are not supposed to see themselves as the villains of their own story, but there's nothing else Carla can be.

I forget what her motives even are again. Was it just to spite Simmons?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I'd love to play the cackling super villain though. I hope you're listening capcom.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I forget what her motives even are again. Was it just to spite Simmons?

She probably had a problem with simmons turning her into a weird ada wong fetish clone.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Clone Ada (who, from my understanding of the game's insane plot, isn't Carla- even though the game calls her that- but is instead a hosed up homunculus made using Carla's body) is a twisted Galatea whose first experience of the human race is "they go to absurd ends to create intelligent life so they can jerk off to it", so she decides to wipe them out. To make things even weirder, because there's still a little Carla in there, and Carla was as obsessed with Simmons as he was with Ada, if I remember right it's implied that Clone Ada is brewing a Clone Simmons in that other egg.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I was trying to figure it out, and as far as I can tell, Carla created the C-Virus for Simmons, who turned around and tried to use it to make a genetically perfect Ada Wong clone out of somebody. Ten years later, he found out that Carla would be an ideal candidate for the process and it actually worked on her; she came out of the egg as Carla in Ada's body. Simmons promptly brainwashed her into thinking she was the OG Ada, although Carla was still a brilliant scientist rather than a freelance spy.

This worked for a little while, and Carla was infatuated with Simmons, so she was initially willing to play along. She eventually started to hate him for it, and since Simmons's whole deal as an international conspiracy participant and billionaire string-puller was maintaining a steady, stable status quo, Carla decided she'd get back at him by destabilizing the world.

The theory the game presents, in the form of Ada openly theorizing about it, is that Carla secretly wanted somebody to stop her, which is why she went out of her way to handicap her own efforts. If all she'd really wanted was to destroy the world, she's got the Haos brewing in the undersea lab. Instead, she deliberately antagonizes the BSAA on two separate occasions, deliberately calls Ada to get her involved in the situation, leaves Jake and Sherry under insufficient guard after six months of treating them like viral pinatas, and turns Simmons into an unstoppable rage-monster.

I like the "twisted Galatea" take on it, though. It'd make a lot more sense. I also have no idea who if anyone was in that egg at the end of Ada's game, and to the best of my knowledge, the game never says. It'd make the most sense if it was Simmons, I suppose.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
RE6 is just so ambitious it's kind of charming. You can sort of see them brainstorming and throwing every idea in; it's very enthusiastic and while not everything works, it's just a fun game to play. Mercs definitely distills it down to the best parts. But even though the campaign's weird theme park ride levels and odd level design are a mess in general, it's an interesting mess. Co-op is almost necessary though; having a live partner to share the weirdness that is RE6 is essential to enjoyment, I think.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Lord Lambeth posted:

I'd love to play the cackling super villain though. I hope you're listening capcom.

same and i already have the perfect candidate

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I really, really liked RE 6 and sunk hundreds of hours into it. I still do not want the RE 2 remake to play like that. It's inappropriate for the atmosphere that game was going for. I could see that argument working for 3 since that's where the series started leaning on action, but 2 wasn't quite at that point.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Levantine posted:

Co-op is almost necessary though; having a live partner to share the weirdness that is RE6 is essential to enjoyment, I think.

Yeah playing Leon's campaign co-op is awesome because it's mostly normal zombies that you can easily tag team, my favorite was stunning/knocking down a zombie and letting the partner coup de grace them.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

man nurse posted:

I really, really liked RE 6 and sunk hundreds of hours into it. I still do not want the RE 2 remake to play like that. It's inappropriate for the atmosphere that game was going for. I could see that argument working for 3 since that's where the series started leaning on action, but 2 wasn't quite at that point.

RE 2 heavily leans on action. There is mountains of ammo, you can tank a poo poo load of hits, and your armament is pretty large. Outside of the 1st re, none of them have been really stingy with ammo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RE2 really is more Aliens compared to RE1's Alien. (Right down to the most Newt character ever.) It's not QUITE pure action but it's way heavier on the action side.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

blackguy32 posted:

RE 2 heavily leans on action. There is mountains of ammo, you can tank a poo poo load of hits, and your armament is pretty large. Outside of the 1st re, none of them have been really stingy with ammo.

Code Veronica begs to differ. You'll be absolutely hosed in that game if you don't get real good with the hilariously overpowered knife.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I know The Evil Within is only an RE game in spirit but it was pretty stingy with ammo. Especially early on, where you were lucky to get five bullets in the second level.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

man nurse posted:

Code Veronica begs to differ. You'll be absolutely hosed in that game if you don't get real good with the hilariously overpowered knife.

Not really. CV has a bizarre ammo economy compared to the other games. On your first run, you scrape by much of the time; on any run after that, you know what to burn and when and can spend most of the time knocking down zombies with sixty bowgun hits each.

The last time I replayed that game I found out handgun ammo stacks to 250.

Speedball posted:

I know The Evil Within is only an RE game in spirit but it was pretty stingy with ammo. Especially early on, where you were lucky to get five bullets in the second level.

Yeah, I'm on the Not Spencer Mansion stage and it's still bizarre to have a fully-loaded weapon on me at any point in time.

That game is really Shinji Mikami's greatest hits album, featuring classics like "Was That A Chainsaw?" "Oh gently caress, That Was A Chainsaw," and "This Puzzle Should Not Be Here But It Is."

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

In The Evil Within, if you focus on upgrading your pistol ammo capacity from the beginning the game starts showering you with ammo for it and you'll rarely be low on ammo. Not sure if they ever patched it or not.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

GUI posted:

In The Evil Within, if you focus on upgrading your pistol ammo capacity from the beginning the game starts showering you with ammo for it and you'll rarely be low on ammo. Not sure if they ever patched it or not.

So like in Resident Evil 4 when ammo capacity upgrades refill your weapon?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, I'm on the Not Spencer Mansion stage and it's still bizarre to have a fully-loaded weapon on me at any point in time.

I'm pretty sure the game features a RE4 dynamic resource system, just cranked up to 11. The entire time I played I felt like I was extremely scarce on ammo and resources, yet I always seemed to pick up just enough to get me through each level, and it even forced me to use every single weapon and discover the best use situation for each.

TEW has a lot of issues, but in many ways it is a very underrated game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Eh... I think TEW deserves whatever scores it got. It was a mess of a game that doesn't really feel cohesive.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Fil5000 posted:

So like in Resident Evil 4 when ammo capacity upgrades refill your weapon?

Increasing the ammo cap for the pistol (and the other weapons to a significantly lesser degree) also increases the ammo drop rate for it, which means almost every enemy will be dropping 5-6 bullets and you'll always have max ammo.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

Eh... I think TEW deserves whatever scores it got. It was a mess of a game that doesn't really feel cohesive.

It's not exactly what I'd call a great game, but it is the kind of game people should pick up on Steam sales or if they can find it cheap elsewhere. It's worth a playthrough and the DLC feels much more cohesive than the main campaign, but it's not $60 worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Anonymous Robot posted:

Oh, I guess I do remember that guy. I remember him looking like poo poo and not being fun to fight. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree!

Also, I never said the word uninspired, you keep saying that.