Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Do you have any info on Duracoat? Can it even be sprayed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sanguine posted:

Also someone please talk me out of buying the 1/350 Tamiya Tirpitz - the LHS has in on sale and I've just started playing WoWS...

What part of the world are you in? If you are by some coincidence in the Phoenix area, I have the 1/350 Bismark kit that I'll never build that I could take a cheap offer for.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The one thing that bugs me slightly about a giant 1/350 kit is where the heck you would keep such a thing. I was figuring some sort of glass box coffee table.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Speaking of crappy kits, why do so many older crappy plane kits have positive panel lines, i.e. instead of lines being recessed, they actually stand out from the surface? It's not like the technology of scoring a line is a new-fangled invention that wasn't available to to the person making the master model way back when.
Pure guess, but material tolerance considerations?

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Do you have any info on Duracoat? Can it even be sprayed?

All I know is that it is a resin based paint that has to be sprayed on with an airbrush or an HVLP gun. Duracoat requiets a teflon needle bearing and needs a setup between .5 and .35. I'm just painting gun parts so I would imagine a wider spray would be better.

Straight from the duracoat site these are 2 of the kits they offer:
https://www.lauerweaponry.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=933

https://www.lauerweaponry.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=934

And this is the compressor they offer:
https://www.lauerweaponry.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=936

I was thinking there has to be something else out there that's better priced though, especially the compressor. Any airbrush will work with the paint though.

I was thinking about getting this harbor freight compressor
http://www.harborfreight.com/16-hp-58-psi-oilless-airbrush-compressor-60329.html

Whale Cancer fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 2, 2015

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Sanguine posted:

Alrighty, IS-3 is on the way. This is the kit that looks like a half-blind man's version of the is-3 after seeing a soviet parade in black and white on a 12" tv, right?

That's the one! Apparently he only saw it from one side, because my kit doesn't have a cutout in the muzzle brake on the other side. Is that a defect or are all of them like this?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Whale Cancer posted:

All I know is that it is a resin based paint that has to be sprayed on with an airbrush or an HVLP gun. Duracoat requiets a teflon needle bearing and needs a setup between .5 and .35. I'm just painting gun parts so I would imagine a wider spray would be better.

Straight from the duracoat site these are 2 of the kits they offer:
https://www.lauerweaponry.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=933

https://www.lauerweaponry.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=934

And this is the compressor they offer:
https://www.lauerweaponry.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=936

I was thinking there has to be something else out there that's better priced though, especially the compressor. Any airbrush will work with the paint though.

I was thinking about getting this harbor freight compressor
http://www.harborfreight.com/16-hp-58-psi-oilless-airbrush-compressor-60329.html

I would say just buy the airbrush kits they offer. They're economical, and will get the job done.

I can't speak to the Harbor Freight compressor, as I haven't used it in person, but Harbor Freight generally sells garbage. You get what you pay for.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Whale Cancer posted:

I'm wanting to get an airbrush kit to spray stuff with duracoat, specifically guns. I have only done a tiny bit of research so just trying to figure out what all I need and what I should get.

Brush
Compressor
Moisture Trap
Pressure Regulator

I'm not made of money so I'd like to do this as inexpensive as possible but not so cheap that I'll only get 2-3 jobs before everything goes to hell.

I found this kit but I don't know if it's worth a poo poo.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_22788_22788

I'm completely lost on compressors. I'd like something that would be quiet enough that I could work in the garage or basement without waking up my wife and 6 month old.

I grabbed an ebay compressor that had a regulator/moisture trap (the same as all the others) and a storage tank that was under $100 Aus and has done me perfectly well so far (about a year). It's plenty quiet enough that it won't wake anyone outside the room. Same as this, though plenty of different sellers offer the same thing under a bunch of different names. I'd recommend it as a good starting compressor you should be able to get for well under $100 US.

Also cheers Locator, but on somewhat the other end of the world. Postage would kill any savings :(

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I've been trying out some new laser-cut foliage I got called Kamizukuri for my AT-ST base, and so far it looks really cool. I got two sets, one of ferns, and another of mixed jungle plants. The ferns came in green, which was a nice start, but the jungle plants came in white. I guess this is so you can color them whatever you like, but most of the plants definitely seem like the green type.

Anyways, I just went in with some cheap craft paints and sponged on some light variations of green, and then punched in the stem and some brown rot on random edges, and then a light satin varnish sponged on. Then you just slide them on to the provided wire (in white, had to be painted), glue them, and then primp them up. So far the effect seems pretty decent. This the first finished one so far. Needs a little primping once the glue dries, but seems great already. Total time to paint the whole sheet and then assemble one was about 30 minutes. So a whole sheet can probably be assembled in under an hour.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Package just arrived!

Let's open this sonubitch up.

For some reason this reminds me of that video of a canned turkey splorting out into a pan.

:goleft:

This is gonna be great. :haw:

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 2, 2015

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I feel the need to go lazy and leave all of the flashing and sprue nubs on for maximum... hmmm...

I've got an idea...

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Goddamn, my big IS-3 kit is in bad shape. The upper and lower hull are cracked to poo poo from being crushed under something for a few decades, and the plastic is quite brittle. The cracks are on flat surfaces, at least, it should be possible to fill them with putty and sand it without losing detail. It also turns out that 1:30 is quite a bit bigger than 1:35!

wtfbacon
Mar 26, 2015
Here's my latest project in progress. This is a Dragon Jagdpanther (6458) with ATAK resin zimmerit sheeting, Friul ATL-08 tracks, and a CMK turned barrel. I've got to fill a seam or two, wash it, then it's off to the paint booth. I originally base coated the schürtzen for the Panther G I posted a few weeks ago, but I ended up like the look of that one better without them. So, I grabbed them out of the spares box and dinged them up for this build. It's an early Jagdpanther kit, but I intend to paint it up in a late war setting with whitewash to show a vehicle that's used and tired, but still in the fight. The gun will be primer-only to show that it's been re-barreled at some point since it's a late-model gun.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

wtfbacon posted:

Here's my latest project in progress. This is a Dragon Jagdpanther (6458) with ATAK resin zimmerit sheeting, Friul ATL-08 tracks, and a CMK turned barrel. I've got to fill a seam or two, wash it, then it's off to the paint booth. I originally base coated the schürtzen for the Panther G I posted a few weeks ago, but I ended up like the look of that one better without them. So, I grabbed them out of the spares box and dinged them up for this build. It's an early Jagdpanther kit, but I intend to paint it up in a late war setting with whitewash to show a vehicle that's used and tired, but still in the fight. The gun will be primer-only to show that it's been re-barreled at some point since it's a late-model gun.

You really do make the loveliest AFV kits, some of the best I've seen.

I did a Ferdinand with a replacement barrel a few years ago, picture for reference if it's useful.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

wtfbacon posted:

Beautiful. I love the way the zimmerit sheeting looks, I don't think I've ever seen that before.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I was looking at this model from a company in Poland, and it's just a fantastic looking model.

What is both interesting, and amazing to me is what it's made of.

Spoiler - It's paper

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Is that a Shipyard model? They're amazing.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Greyhawk posted:

Is that a Shipyard model? They're amazing.

Yep. That's a new one that isn't released yet. I'm going to have to do one of those some time in the future, if for no other reason then to figure out how in the gently caress you make a paper model look so damned fantastic (and not crush it into a wad of trash in the process).

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
More foliage! This stuff is great so far.

wtfbacon
Mar 26, 2015
^^That really does look nice. Did you order direct from the site you listed or do you know of any resellers?

big_g posted:

You really do make the loveliest AFV kits, some of the best I've seen.

Thats... probably one of the nicest things anyone has ever said about my work. Thank you!

big_g posted:

I did a Ferdinand with a replacement barrel a few years ago, picture for reference if it's useful.

That's a killer Ferdinand build. Do you recall what you used for the mud/dirt effects? They're really great.

wtfbacon fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Aug 3, 2015

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

wtfbacon posted:

^^That really does look nice. Did you order direct from the site you listed or do you know of any resellers?

I got mine from HobbyLink Japan. They carry them for pretty cheap too. The sheet of ferns and three sheets of jungle plants, plus shipping, was just under $20.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The world lost Sheperd Paine recently (yesterday? day before? something like that.)

He's the guy who literally wrote the book on making dioramas.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
drat. The man really was a master with few equals. I've seen many modelers who put a lot more detail into their work than he did, but he had the uncanny ability where the sum was greater than the parts. His diorama work was beyond compare, and he had the eye to create something which was amazing and unbelievable, without needing to go in and paint every rivet and chip.

One of my favourite pieces of his was "The Gun Deck of the HMS Victory at Trafalgar, 1805". It was a beautiful below-decks shadow-box of a pitched battle onboard the Victory. He not only employed mirror trickery to extend the length of the deck to "twice" the length of the shadow-box itself, the whole thing was motorized as well to give it the gentle sway of a ship on the ocean.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

wtfbacon posted:

That's a killer Ferdinand build. Do you recall what you used for the mud/dirt effects? They're really great.

I really can't remember the exact recipe I'm afraid, but I'm fairly sure it's Mig pigments mixed with plaster and then sprayed off of an old brush with the compressed air from an airbrush to give the splatter effect. Started with light colours to show dried mud then did a smaller amount of dark wet mud around high use areas inside the lighter colour, probably with some wet effects mixed in.

If I remember properly I'll let you know.

EDIT: I think I did some spots of clay colour in that one as well.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Finally at a point where I am getting to 'visually' see how big this little (not so little) boat is going to be when it's completed.

First I finished up the bowsprit by affixing a bunch of little cleats and sanding them to shape, and affixing the rings that support the jib boom.

Bowsprit & Jib Boom:

Next I mounted the cheeks and cross-trees on the main-mast, then put two of the chocks in, and made the third chock. After playing with the fitment of the third chock, and looking at the plans, I realized that the base of the topmast wouldn't fit through the round fitting at the top of the main-mast, so I removed the third chock and will place it after the topmast is placed permanently later on. I then made the topmast and cut the little hole in the base where a piece of wood called a 'fid' goes through it to rest on the cross-trees. I drilled a sheave slot in the top-mast, but haven't drilled the hole and placed the sheave yet.

Here is how the main-mast and top-mast will fit together.

And finally, dry fitting the complete bowsprit and mast assemblies to see the overall size (minus the main boom which will extend behind the ship by several inches too).

It got big all of a sudden!

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
That is one hell of a lot of sail for that hull. I'm guessing it's cutter rigged with as many staysails and the like crammed in as possible?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Sanguine posted:

That is one hell of a lot of sail for that hull. I'm guessing it's cutter rigged with as many staysails and the like crammed in as possible?

It's fore and aft rigged topsail sloop. Main sail, square top sail, fore sail, jib and flying jib. It's very similar to the English cutter rigs, although they usually only carried a fore sail and jib, where the sloop carries a fore sail, jib, and flying jib.

Like this (square rigged topsail furled in this image):

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Do you need to weigh this down in the stern?

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
Is there anywhere I can go to download a decal sheet for a specific plane and scale so I can print it out? I swear I lose at least 2 decals every model I do and it's starting to drive me a little nuts.

e: This thing came today

:getin: When can we start?

Troll Bridgington fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 4, 2015

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Managed to get this far tonight on my little German Armoured Car.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

^ Nice. 1/35 or 1/72?

Troll Bridgington posted:

I'm gonna assume those handles round the tank are solid chunks of plastic?

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 5, 2015

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

Is there anywhere I can go to download a decal sheet for a specific plane and scale so I can print it out? I swear I lose at least 2 decals every model I do and it's starting to drive me a little nuts.

I know decals for scifi, but have no idea about "real" planes. I did a search for "aftermarket aircraft decals" and it looks like a fair few places popped up, so fingers crossed! Maybe even do a google for the plane itself and decal, something should come up.

I'm waiting on that little tank to arrive. Haven't built a tank in years

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

You have until September 1st to get it done, so start working whenever and report back.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

^ Nice. 1/35 or 1/72?

I'm gonna assume those handles round the tank are solid chunks of plastic?

:v: Not at all. Two pipes each with nubs on the bottom to slot in.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Greyhawk posted:

Do you need to weigh this down in the stern?

You mean the model or the real ship? The model, no, the bowsprit and rigging won't weigh much.

The real thing? As far as I know all sailing ships had ballast in the bilge, but nothing specifically towards the rear. I think the fore/jib sails actually lift while providing forward propulsion, but I'm not a sailing expert by any stretch.

In other modeling news - Uncle Amazon brought me a little Russian tank model today! Had a late meeting tonight, and another one tomorrow night, so earliest I'll actually do anything with the first plastic model in 30 years will be Thursday.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 5, 2015

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Got my stalintank today. The kit looks... kinda lovely :yikes:
Oh well, at least I'll have something to try out weathering I guess.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Oops my debit card turns out to be too old, so I can't buy a craptank until I get a new card next week.

Unless.....

*checks paypal balance*

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

The Locator posted:

You mean the model or the real ship? The model, no, the bowsprit and rigging won't weigh much.

The real thing? As far as I know all sailing ships had ballast in the bilge, but nothing specifically towards the rear. I think the fore/jib sails actually lift while providing forward propulsion, but I'm not a sailing expert by any stretch.

Real ships adjusted cargo and ballast to affect trim, to the point that as the journey went on and stores were used up, they re-did it to keep trim in check.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

So I started planking a thing for the first time in my life. (It's a longboat intended for the Victory)

When I started there were just the ribs and when I finally stopped bending and shaping and gluing these 4 little strips of 0,5mm thick wood, it was 2 hours later. :psyduck:

Greyhawk fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
This kit is pretty lovely and was a pain in the rear end to build for how few parts there were, but holy poo poo are these fun to paint! I might need to start doing tanks more often.

I coated the armor with liquid cement to give it some texture. I really like the effect it gave the model after the paint job was applied.

I think I'm gonna keep weathering it for fun.