Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
Can't believe I haven't found this thread until now! We moved near the Adirondacks (south of Plattsburgh) at the end of October, and we have been thoroughly enjoying the hiking here. I'll post some of our better photos in a bit.

My main pack is a heavy canyoneering bag, which worked great for winter hiking; it was durable enough take abuse from crampons / snowshoes without tearing. But for summer day hikes, it has been way too large and heavy.

So for fun, I sewed myself an ultralight bag. It's definitely an ugly duckling, but works pretty well and is (remarkably) rather comfortable. It weighs in at 7.5oz empty, and can hold ~45 liters and probably 15-20lbs. The black material is 200d polyurethane coated Oxford Cordura, the blue is 70d silnylon. Shoulder straps are cordura + foam mesh. Theoretically it should have been waterproof, but I got lazy and made a drawstring closure, so there is a giant gaping hole in the top preventing any semblance of waterproofing :v:

Definitely some problems that I'll need to fix on the next model: I simply made it too large for a daypack and poor placed compression straps makes it awkward when not fully filled (doesn't cinch down tightly enough). It could use an external pocket for keys/phone/etc, and the mesh pock opening is too large. And the shoulder straps are a bit too long, there isn't much adjustment possible.

All in all though, I'm fairly pleased with my first major sewing project. It even survived it's first hike with only minimal problems (one seam needs to be re-sewn, I can see it starting to unravel)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Canadian Rockies are so pretty and so wet and lush...I love the time I've spent in the Sierra but they're definitely a much dryer climate in many ways. On the other hand it can be a bit funny to think of it as a dry climate when you're at a place like Ottoway Lakes like i posted earlier cuz there are a bunch of streams and drainages from the lakes as you hike up there so you're crossing them a lot and the terrain has kind of created multiple stream flows as well. But if you're not next to a stream or lake then it's pretty much dry as gently caress. They might also be higher than the Banff area? Once you start getting over 9k feet into the Alpine zone then it's pretty tough to have a lush environment and there's a lot of the Sierra over that altitude.

Annd yeah, highest peak in Banff is supposedly 11,580 feet, which you can easily find below passes in the Sierra

db franco
Jul 14, 2014
Hi Friends,

My name is Drew and next week I will be taking my first proper backpacking trip.

One of my friends just got out of the Marines, and thought it would be a good idea to get the high school gang back together for a trip. We graduated in '09 and usually do one or two things a year, so this is this summer's Hoo-Rah.

I'm wondering if anyone has hiked through "The Bob" or the Bob Marshall Wilderness Area. That is where we are going and planning to do ~80 miles in 5 days.

We are leaving on Sunday and I am a big unsure about where to start with my packing efforts. First thing's first I need a pack, so I'll probably head to REI or Midwest Mountaineering for that. He says 75 liter should be good for our uses.

I also need a compression sack. And food.

No questions, just wanted to share that with you all. Going to read through this read to pick up some tips from the experts. I will post pack with pictures!

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Take lots of photos and show us when you get back :)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

80 miles in 5 days through the Bobs as a first trip huh?

Yeah, please tell us all about that when you're done

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

db franco posted:

Hi Friends,

My name is Drew and next week I will be taking my first proper backpacking trip.

One of my friends just got out of the Marines, and thought it would be a good idea to get the high school gang back together for a trip. We graduated in '09 and usually do one or two things a year, so this is this summer's Hoo-Rah.

I'm wondering if anyone has hiked through "The Bob" or the Bob Marshall Wilderness Area. That is where we are going and planning to do ~80 miles in 5 days.

We are leaving on Sunday and I am a big unsure about where to start with my packing efforts. First thing's first I need a pack, so I'll probably head to REI or Midwest Mountaineering for that. He says 75 liter should be good for our uses.

No questions, just wanted to share that with you all. Going to read through this read to pick up some tips from the experts. I will post pack with pictures!

here's a basic list you will need a pack, shelter and sleeping system (tent, pad, and bag or hammock and quilts), food, water treatment, clothes, and rain gear, camera. if you're using your phone a battery to charge it off of
for the group: first aid kit, stove (may want multiple if its a big group), fuel,

i'm probably forgetting somethings

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
That pace sounds miserable to me personally, but good luck and have fun.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Has anybody used a pad and an army blanket for their sleep set up? If so, how cold can it get before that's not a good idea.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I want to replace my hammock suspension with 7/64 whoopie slings to save weight and speed up setup. I was going to buy them but decided to make my own. Bought some Amsteel, watched some videos, and was delighted to discover how simple it was. It pains me to think of all the years working as a rigger I spend without this wonderful lightweight line.

So, I have burned through about 100' in the last few days trying different splices and what not, and today I went out to buy some more. While at the store I bought a spool of 1.75mm Lash-It with the intention of making a tarp suspension kit from that.

:stare:

Yeah, I'm going to need a smaller needle and maybe a magnifying visor to to work with this stuff.

polyfractal posted:

So for fun, I sewed myself an ultralight bag.

That rules! I am very much getting into making my own gear. My place is now littered with can stoves and bits of line. I got my girlfriend to bring her old sewing machine to the house, now I just need to figure out how to run it.

I really want to make myself a little mini gear hammock/pack cover/ground cloth:

And a pair of UL doors for my tarp

I have no idea what her machine can handle but I am itching to get sewing!

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

80 miles in 5 days through the Bobs as a first trip huh?

20 mi/day is an easy pace for a young athlete with 30 lbs of gear or less. It just means walking briskly for 10-12 hours, and hiking at night if you get delayed. Use music with headphones and enjoy the views. With 5 days you have about 8 extra hours to fix gear, deal with unexpected problems and maybe take an afternoon off to go fishing on the 3rd or 4th day.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That sounds loving horrible

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

20 miles per day is a great way to make it not fun, IMO. 10-12/day is much easier to keep up after day 2.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Some people love putting in mileage and some don't. I know lots of people say they get to see more stuff with a fast pace. That said

Keldoclock posted:

20 mi/day is an easy pace for a young athlete with 30 lbs of gear or less. It just means walking briskly for 10-12 hours, and hiking at night if you get delayed. Use music with headphones and enjoy the views. With 5 days you have about 8 extra hours to fix gear, deal with unexpected problems and maybe take an afternoon off to go fishing on the 3rd or 4th day.

20 mi/day is not an easy pace if you're not an experienced backpacker who is comfortable with that pace. Carrying even 30 lbs of stuff for 20 miles for 5 days is pretty hard on your body and if you're not prepared for it you can feel pretty exhausted and miserable pretty quickly, and thta's assuming you've got your gear all in order so you don't have to worry about foot and knee/leg problems.

And that's also not considering altitude and its effects. If you're coming from sea level and are starting out at 4k feet or so, maybe going up to 9k feet and back over a couple of days, it can be rough and make you feel much more fatigued than you normally would.

That all said, it's not impossible either and for an adequately prepared person it could be a fun challenge if they're up for it. To db franco I'd just say, make sure you have a bailout plan if you have trouble with the mileage or other issues like injuries. Also if you make fires, first make sure they're allowed where you are, second dont make new fire rings, and third and most importantly, don't let it get out of control and make sure it's 100% completely and totally out when you're done. It's even possible for fires to spread underground with the right conditions so dump a poo poo ton of water on it and stir the ashes and make sure it's completely cold.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Keldoclock posted:

lol

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Levitate posted:

To db franco I'd just say, make sure you have a bailout plan if you have trouble with the mileage or other issues like injuries.

Especially this, the Bob is pretty remote. I'd really suggest reconsidering the length of your trip or the number of days, hiking in the Montana Rockies can be **special**.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
It could be worse. He could be trying to hike across America while pushing a stroller or something, then trying to survive off raisins before collapsing 30 miles in.

80 miles in 5 days with a heavy pack will be rough, but certainly doable.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

bunnielab posted:

So, I have burned through about 100' in the last few days trying different splices and what not, and today I went out to buy some more. While at the store I bought a spool of 1.75mm Lash-It with the intention of making a tarp suspension kit from that.

:stare:

Yeah, I'm going to need a smaller needle and maybe a magnifying visor to to work with this stuff.

Splicing is a lot of fun - once you get used to working with zing-it/lash-it (or braided mason line) size, going back to Amsteel is like driving a train through a tunnel. For a splicing tool, I've had pretty good luck stripping some small-ish gague copper wire (leave some un-stripped at the end), folding it in half, and wrapping the ends together in a little loop to use as a sort of handle to pull it back out of your splice/bury. You don't need nearly as much bury length either with the thinner line, so it's a little easier that way too. Eventually your working end will just break from over-bending, but it'll last a good while.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

A Kpro posted:

It could be worse. He could be trying to hike across America while pushing a stroller or something, then trying to survive off raisins before collapsing 30 miles in.

Does anyone have a link to that

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

db franco posted:

Hi Friends,

I dunno man, I'd personally do like half distance for your first real backpacking trip.

At the very least take a rescue beacon in case you roll your foot 40 or so miles away from civilization.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Nitrousoxide posted:

I dunno man, I'd personally do like half distance for your first real backpacking trip.

At the very least take a rescue beacon in case you roll your foot 40 or so miles away from civilization.

yeah if you can swing it buy a PLB (personal location beacon) and register it before your trip. Then if you get into some poo poo and can't see a way to safely get back out of the back country, set that off and sit tight on that place for search and rescue. At least with two people there's always the possibility of one person going for help, but again it helps to have a bailout plan and know if you can exit out a different, closer trailhead that might have a ranger station then you can get help rather than backtrack the whole way

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose

Levitate posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714480&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Instant classic.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations on keeping desserts fresh, I'll keep them in mind.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.

bunnielab posted:

That rules! I am very much getting into making my own gear. My place is now littered with can stoves and bits of line. I got my girlfriend to bring her old sewing machine to the house, now I just need to figure out how to run it.

I really want to make myself a little mini gear hammock/pack cover/ground cloth:

And a pair of UL doors for my tarp

I have no idea what her machine can handle but I am itching to get sewing!

Thanks! I bet those would be great first projects...definitely what I should have started with in retrospect. :) A single-person tarp tent is next on my to-do list, which should (hopefully!) be a lot easier.

I used my fiancee's little, beginner sewing machine and it worked like a champ. All I really needed was straight stitches and zigzag of various sizes (narrow for bartacks, wider for protecting edges or for stretchy bits), and the cloth was light, so the little cheapo machine worked great. I think you only need "good" machines if you are working with heavy material like denim or canvas, or need fancy stitches.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

dedian posted:

Splicing is a lot of fun - once you get used to working with zing-it/lash-it (or braided mason line) size, going back to Amsteel is like driving a train through a tunnel. For a splicing tool, I've had pretty good luck stripping some small-ish gague copper wire (leave some un-stripped at the end), folding it in half, and wrapping the ends together in a little loop to use as a sort of handle to pull it back out of your splice/bury. You don't need nearly as much bury length either with the thinner line, so it's a little easier that way too. Eventually your working end will just break from over-bending, but it'll last a good while.

Mason line huh?

Not too bad, but I wasn't able to properly taper it, I just sliced until I could pull strands out and nothing is very tight and centered. I found some floral wire and that worked great to do the burys and I found a splicing needle in my old "weed junk" box. Had to clean some resin off of it, but it works like a champ. In any case, I wonder if the mason line will make a good prussic to grab the Lash-It tarp line? I don't know how strong it will be but it might grab better then Lash-it on Lash-It.

polyfractal posted:

Thanks! I bet those would be great first projects...definitely what I should have started with in retrospect. :) A single-person tarp tent is next on my to-do list, which should (hopefully!) be a lot easier.

I used my fiancee's little, beginner sewing machine and it worked like a champ. All I really needed was straight stitches and zigzag of various sizes (narrow for bartacks, wider for protecting edges or for stretchy bits), and the cloth was light, so the little cheapo machine worked great. I think you only need "good" machines if you are working with heavy material like denim or canvas, or need fancy stitches.

That's good to hear, I don't need anything really heavy but want to reinforce the corners of the mini hammock with some webbing.

I actually like that idea for some of the canal hikes I do. Fishing with a pack on sucks, constantly having to move the pack while working the bank sucks, and hand carrying more than one rod sucks. A jogging stroller with some rod holders added would be perfect.

EDIT:

Oh god I can't stop splicing.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 5, 2015

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Levitate posted:

Canadian Rockies are so pretty and so wet and lush...I love the time I've spent in the Sierra but they're definitely a much dryer climate in many ways. On the other hand it can be a bit funny to think of it as a dry climate when you're at a place like Ottoway Lakes like i posted earlier cuz there are a bunch of streams and drainages from the lakes as you hike up there so you're crossing them a lot and the terrain has kind of created multiple stream flows as well. But if you're not next to a stream or lake then it's pretty much dry as gently caress. They might also be higher than the Banff area? Once you start getting over 9k feet into the Alpine zone then it's pretty tough to have a lush environment and there's a lot of the Sierra over that altitude.

Annd yeah, highest peak in Banff is supposedly 11,580 feet, which you can easily find below passes in the Sierra

It kind of depends where in the Rockies you go. Around the really tall peaks you get orographic weather formation, and on their western slopes you can find patches of inland isolated rainforest. On the eastern slopes it's quite dry, mostly barren lodgepole pine forest. Not arid or semi-arid by any means, although up in parts of Jasper there are sand dunes! Banff's treeline also starts at 7500' because of our latitude so there is a lot of above treeline hiking easily accessible, although most of the popular areas stick to the bottoms of valleys where it's safe and easy to maintain. Our geography is actually really cool, varied, and awesome, and I love it all.

Here's an example of an eastern slope peak, Mt. Alderson. The summit is only 8800'.

And this is in Banff National Park, actually. Dolomite Pass. One of my favourite places to visit. The stripey ground below is only 8200'.

And then, I took this picture 17 miles southwest of that spot (as the crow flies) and it's only 5000' in elevation, underneath some massive glaciated peaks that end up dumping large amounts of rain. So it grows what's called inland Columbain rainforest.

I guess I just felt like nerding out about geography, because I love this poo poo a lot and it's why I got that for my minor. :shobon:

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Levitate posted:

(j/k he meant the silly goon)

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

bunnielab posted:

Oh god I can't stop splicing.

Honestly I wouldn't bother with mason line. I have two prussics as drip lines (it's pretty absorbent it does a good job for that) but it's really fiddly to work with. It's not too much smaller than lash-it/zing-it, but isn't as nice to work with. I practiced with it while I was waiting for my zing-it to show up. It'd hold better in a prussic on lash-it (smaller diameter on to larger), but has much less strength, stretches, and is absorbent. Just allow more room on your prussic loop of lash-it for an extra wind and you'll be fine

Having perfect tapers aren't as important in thinner line either, as long as you're treating them as "non-load bearing" (don't make lash-it whoopie slings, it's just not worth the weight :D)

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

dedian posted:

Honestly I wouldn't bother with mason line. I have two prussics as drip lines (it's pretty absorbent it does a good job for that) but it's really fiddly to work with. It's not too much smaller than lash-it/zing-it, but isn't as nice to work with. I practiced with it while I was waiting for my zing-it to show up. It'd hold better in a prussic on lash-it (smaller diameter on to larger), but has much less strength, stretches, and is absorbent. Just allow more room on your prussic loop of lash-it for an extra wind and you'll be fine

Having perfect tapers aren't as important in thinner line either, as long as you're treating them as "non-load bearing" (don't make lash-it whoopie slings, it's just not worth the weight :D)

Yea, I did the first loop as a joke because you mentioned it and I have a roll of mason line in my big box of cordage. Then I attached it to the leatherman to see how well it would hold with just a bury. It holds about as hard as I can pull with the loop around my foot. I bought a small length of red Zing-It to use for the tarp prussics, the internet seems to think it will hold better then Lash-It on Lash-It.

I am excited to see how much weight I can shave off. The whoopies weigh about 2.4oz, I think the stock Hennessy cords must be about twice that if not more. The Lash-It tarp ridgeline will weigh almost nothing, the 180' spool only weighs 3.6oz and that is with the cardboard core. The stock tarp weighs 10oz and while it seems to protect the hammock pretty well, it doesn't afford any room to move, dress, or cook under. I have it set up in the yard to wait for a decent thunderstorm to get a real sense but even the quick storm tonight showed me that it is more or less impossible to get under the tarp, get a rain coat and shoes off, and get into the hammock without getting my rear end soaked out in the rain.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

T. J. Eckleburg posted:

So I just moved to Seattle and I want to go backpacking. Where should I go?

I'd ideally like to leave on lunchtime Friday, drive out somewhere within a couple hours drive, hike a bit and then make camp, hike all day Saturday and most of the day Sunday before driving back to be home mid-evening. My husband and I are not super experienced hardcore backpackers, but we're reasonably fit. In and around the appalachian trail we could easily do 12-14 miles in a full day day with no rush. We aren't looking to be hardcore here either, we have normal 3-season gear with 20 degree sleeping bags. I'm thinking we would look for about a 20 mile loop, since (a) only one car and (b) the terrain here is probably more challenging than on the east coast?

It's my understanding that you don't have to do anything special around here to avoid bears. Just standard stuff like hanging a regular stuff-sack bear bag, don't spill food on your clothes, etc. Is that correct? I don't wanna get eaten by a bear, but I don't already own a bear canister or anything fancy either.

Please advise, I need to be in the woods asap!

For weekend loops, you have a lot of choices from FR 49 off the Mountain Loop Highway or FR 63 off HIghway 2. There are a lot of connecting trails in the Henry M Jackson/Glacier Peak Wilderness area so you can hike as much or as little as you'd like. If you're OK with a longer drive, the Pasayten Wilderness or the Teanaway area are good bets. If you're OK with a really long drive, go to Goat Rocks or the eastern side of Mt. St. Helens. Some of these areas require permits but they should be far easier to obtain than the Enchantments or the Wonderland trail.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Oh my god

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

My wife asked me to leave the bed last night I was cry laugh cackling so hard that she thought I was going insane.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

That to me was the best thread of the year.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I stopped reading back when the OP stopped responding. Did anyone keep following it? What was the tldr?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Saint Fu posted:

I stopped reading back when the OP stopped responding. Did anyone keep following it? What was the tldr?

His cart broke on the first day, he hiked another day and a half after that, spent a "rest day" at a ranger station and then a passerby called him an Uber home. He didn't make it out of the park he started in.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

he was going to push a cart used to pull children behind bicycles down a trail across the United States, carrying ~60 pounds of water, and pining for Denny's the entire way

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

good lord I'm cringing at that entire thing and I haven't even gotten to the part where he starts hiking

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose

Saint Fu posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714480&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=24

This page onwards gives a reader his journal entries, some cart photos (before/after the 6 mile mark), facebook updates. It's just a great thread, all around.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose

Enhydra lutris posted:

His Corpse will be an Unexpected Boon to the Desert Animals; the Desert is inhospitable in the Summer Time; Food is hard to come by; the Flesh will nourish a Coyote or other Scavenger of Carrion; this is a good thing; it is the Natural Cycle.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Wanna get this embroidered on my pack.

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

Levitate posted:

yeah if you can swing it buy a PLB (personal location beacon) and register it before your trip. Then if you get into some poo poo and can't see a way to safely get back out of the back country, set that off and sit tight on that place for search and rescue. At least with two people there's always the possibility of one person going for help, but again it helps to have a bailout plan and know if you can exit out a different, closer trailhead that might have a ranger station then you can get help rather than backtrack the whole way

The brand I use is called 'SPOT'. Easy to use, just push a button.

Set it up first before you leave. You can have it inform your family if its a true emergency (fell and have a stick in your ribs) or non-emergency (flat tire, send help).

It has a yearly membership fee.....think its $100 or so....maybe less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

RazNation posted:

The brand I use is called 'SPOT'. Easy to use, just push a button.

Set it up first before you leave. You can have it inform your family if its a true emergency (fell and have a stick in your ribs) or non-emergency (flat tire, send help).

It has a yearly membership fee.....think its $100 or so....maybe less.

Some folks on here don't like SPOT. I love mine. Then again, I like using it for more than just "Push a button, come save my life" functionality.