Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

~Coxy posted:

Makes more sense than Pentium/i3/i5/i7.

Just think of a 920 as a Core 3 Quad, 2600K as Core 4 Quad, etc.

I don't think so... i3/i5/i7 maps well to budget, mainstream, performance. It doesn't conflate confusingly common words (Core) with the name. Sure, the model numbers within (4790K wtf) don't help, but the numbers for the Core series didn't help much better (6600 vs 8300).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

i3/i5/i7 work ok when you are comparing just the current generation against itself, but as soon as other generations come into the picture who the gently caress knows

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Xeons are ok I guess? E3/5/7 [max sockets]2/6/8[two random numbers?] v[generation number]

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

computer parts posted:

AMD can satisfy your desires there.
Their cores are bad though

So if the Devil's Canyon 4790K is only 6% faster overall than a 2500K (overlocked? stock?) then the Skylake is only... 4% faster than a 2500K?

The Serious Sam engine performance gains are AMAZING though.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 5, 2015

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Lowen SoDium posted:

Oh God... This was stupid when they did it for USB 2.0 and is stupider now. All this does is hurt their branding and confuse consumers.

It's nowhere near as stupid and damaging this time, it's only a factor of 2. With USB2 it was a factor of 40 between "high" and "full", and the need for more speed than "full" (which was just 12 Mbps) was far more pressing. At 5Gbps USB3.0 already provides a bigger pipe than is needed for the most common high speed USB devices (HDDs and memory sticks). It does limit SSDs, but not to the point of unusability (I've seen 400 MB/s with a decent USB3-SATA3 bridge chip; I can live with that). Most users won't care this time around.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mayodreams posted:

Just doing a simple GIS for video card box art delivers.

Oh man, the first video card I ever bought was an ASUS GeForce 256 when I built my first computer in 2000. I think it might have been the V6600 Deluxe because it came with 3D glasses (that I used once).

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 5, 2015

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

Josh Lyman posted:

Oh man, the first video card I ever bought was an ASUS GeForce 256 when I built my first computer in 2000. I think it might have been the V6600 Deluxe because it came with 3D glasses (that I used once).
3D-glasses: The mistake TV makers can't wait to redo.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Skandranon posted:

I don't think so... i3/i5/i7 maps well to budget, mainstream, performance. It doesn't conflate confusingly common words (Core) with the name. Sure, the model numbers within (4790K wtf) don't help, but the numbers for the Core series didn't help much better (6600 vs 8300).

Yes it does. "Core i7 2600K"

Also i3/i5/i7 mean different things on different platforms. If it was a hard hard and fast rule where like i2 = 2C2T i2H = 2C4T i4 = 4C4T i4H = 4C8T it would be a lot better IMO.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Their cores are bad though

So if the Devil's Canyon 4790K is only 6% faster overall than a 2500K (overlocked? stock?) then the Skylake is only... 4% faster than a 2500K?

That 2500K is stock.

I wonder what a 5ghz 2500K vs skylake would be like.

[edit] Who am I kidding it probably won't even matter.

http://www.techspot.com/review/1006-the-witcher-3-benchmarks/page5.html

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Aug 5, 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Marinmo posted:

3D-glasses: The mistake TV makers can't wait to redo.
I think even the TV makers have admitted that was a mistake now. IMO they theoretically could have had some success if they had waited until they had the resolution to pull off fully passive glasses instead of using active glasses, but now the well is poisoned.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Why the hell are those reviews using games that are bumping up against GPU limits to test CPU scaling? :psyduck:
I thought like, dimmer one of testing one component's performance, remove all other bottlenecks.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Skylake is out in Aus and the CPUs and motherboards are hilariously expensive. $529 for a 6700K, and the motherboards are X99 level prices. I mean, Asus Z97-Deluxe for 529 loving dollars, or the comedy option Gigabyte Z97X Gaming for $800.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Gwaihir posted:

Why the hell are those reviews using games that are bumping up against GPU limits to test CPU scaling? :psyduck:
I thought like, dimmer one of testing one component's performance, remove all other bottlenecks.

That chart comes from an article entitled "The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Benchmarked: Graphics & CPU Performance", not one about Skylake.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Embargo is up

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Ah, that's what I get for phone posting. Reading the Anandtech review now, and uhhh yea theres some weird stuff going on with this chip. Rather quite good gains in non gaming applications like encoding, but clock for clock regressions in gaming performance.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

:eng99:

Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge boxes still not dying fast enough for Intel to actually sell these. At least they're shunting development on Broadwell Xeons to focus on Skylake Xeons.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Good, my 2500k is safe for another cpu generation. Well unless it dies I mean.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

And if your Sandy Bridge dies, Haswell is like, right there for much cheaper than a Skylake configuration will ever be for the next 1.5 years and you can even reuse your RAM.

The desktop single-thread performance field has been a dead end for years. It's a good thing it's worth like nothing now.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Gwaihir posted:

Ah, that's what I get for phone posting. Reading the Anandtech review now, and uhhh yea theres some weird stuff going on with this chip. Rather quite good gains in non gaming applications like encoding, but clock for clock regressions in gaming performance.

Turns out Sandy Bridge really was the high point in terms of value/performance (AT's chart shows the 2600K launching cheaper than any chip after it!), and even though the article likes to suggest the time is up for Sandy, nothing could be further from the truth. Overclocked, in games, with most bottlenecking on the GPU, there is simply nothing to draw the Sandy Bridge user.

Even the power consumption is utterly underwhelming.

I have no doubt that competition is playing a role here. If AMD was competing at the high end, Intel would be trying to up the clock speeds, or at least add another couple of cores on the mainstream platform.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

It's a good thing it's worth like nothing now.

I really don't think this is true at all, and I'd hazard a guess that much better single thread performance would be the most desirable improvement.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 5, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
They did note that they were quite thermally limited in their overclocking tests on Skylake, but punted the OC stuff to a separate dedicated article that probably won't show up until after IDF.

And yea, there's no question that Skylake at the same 4.8ghz OC as SB is much faster, but unless you're video encoding.. Who cares. Games still aren't CPU limited at resolutions people want to play at. Desktop chips have been firmly "good enough" for a while.

At least DDR4 seems like an upgrade (even if very marginally) speed wise over DDR3, which was not really the case with DDR2/3 when 3 came out back in the day.

Hopefully one of the decent motherboard manufacturers puts out a a hybrid DDR3L/4 board. In the past those hybrid boards were usually only from the second tier folks and were just sorta meh iirc.

What would mainstream users even do with more cores on a desktop chip?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Gwaihir posted:

What would mainstream users even do with more cores on a desktop chip?
4k video decoding :2bong: :catdrugs: :ducksiren: :birddrugs:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

4k video decoding :2bong: :catdrugs: :ducksiren: :birddrugs:

*Encoding!
(I actually made an in retrospect not all that wise choice of upgrading from my i7-920 to an i7-3770 for more encoding performance. I should have just gotten a loving Xeon or something, Ivy Bridge was the real blooper between SB/IVB/Haswell-Devil's Canyon.)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Intel CPU and Platform Discussion: I should have just gotten a loving Xeon or something

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'm extremely curious to see what Skylake looks like in the 30W and less TDP range. As I understood it, part of Haswell's massive performance increase in low-TDP came from the voltage regulator on-package. With Skylake not giving much IPC advantage over Haswell in general, and the voltage regulator moving back onto the board, I'm skeptical that the theoretical i5-6200u will be any faster or even match a 5200u at all.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Confirmed: Skylake does not have 20x PCI-E 3.0 lanes to the CPU as was previously rumored.

Disappointing for anyone who was hoping to use CPU lanes for multiple video cards AND NVMe storage.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lowen SoDium posted:

Confirmed: Skylake does not have 20x PCI-E 3.0 lanes to the CPU as was previously rumored.

Disappointing for anyone who was hoping to use CPU lanes for multiple video cards AND NVMe storage.

You have to be able to saturate DMI 3.0 now though, that gives some more breathing room

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Tech Report's review of Skylake is up. Some interesting stuff here, but mainly about the i7-5775C. :lol:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Gwaihir posted:

*Encoding!
(I actually made an in retrospect not all that wise choice of upgrading from my i7-920 to an i7-3770 for more encoding performance. I should have just gotten a loving Xeon or something, Ivy Bridge was the real blooper between SB/IVB/Haswell-Devil's Canyon.)

There's always Haswell-E

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
There is now, yea. But I've also stopped encoding as many videos since then so :effort:

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

quote:

In our discrete gaming benchmarks, at 3GHz Skylake actually performs worse than Haswell at an equivalent clockspeed, giving up an average of 1.3% performance. We don’t have much from Intel as to analyze the architecture to see why this happens, and it is pretty arguable that it is noticeable, but it is there. Hopefully this is just a teething issue with the new platform.

:psyduck:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This isn't that surprising, given that gaming is almost never CPU limited, DDR4 latency is a good bit higher normally, and there are differences in the platform that we don't fully understand right now. When the first i7-920 came out, wasn't it slower than a Q9650 in discrete GPU gaming because of cache changes?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/22
This page is interesting, 1080p gaming on ultra with a 980/290x.
Thanks part picking thread for steering my broke rear end (and many others) towards an i5-4590 earlier this year.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Maybe until you OCed it from stock to 3.6ghz :v:

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

The hell do the CPUs usually go on sale first? I just keep checking Newegg/Amazon every few hours and that's annoying.

Could at least offer me an auto-notify button to throw my money down the toilet :argh:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Twerk from Home posted:

This isn't that surprising, given that gaming is almost never CPU limited, DDR4 latency is a good bit higher normally, and there are differences in the platform that we don't fully understand right now. When the first i7-920 came out, wasn't it slower than a Q9650 in discrete GPU gaming because of cache changes?

The latency and speed of the memory can also play a huge factor. The CAS/speed ratio determines how long in absolute time the processor has to wait for data, and with DDR pushing the CAS to 16/17 up from 9-10, you need DDR4 2800 at 15 to really offset the issue. It wouldn't surprise me if you could offset that performance issue with faster ram. They discovered something similar for the haswel over at anadtech.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
That will be interesting to see once someone does some RAM/OCing benches, if they can get up to DDR4-4000 range.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Lol'ed at the AT's OC testing.

4.4GHz max overclock with a chip that already stock turbo to 4.2GHz. :lol:

Even in the context of an i5 that are probably worse binned, we are talking maybe only like a +500MHz (+13%) OC off the stock 3.7GHz 4C turbo. I dunno why we are even bothering to overclock, man.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

And if your Sandy Bridge dies, Haswell is like, right there for much cheaper than a Skylake configuration will ever be for the next 1.5 years and you can even reuse your RAM.

The desktop single-thread performance field has been a dead end for years. It's a good thing it's worth like nothing now.

The funny part will be things on the software side like DX12 will make raw CPU performance even more irrelevant than today.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 5, 2015

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Palladium posted:

Even in the context of an i5 that are probably worse binned, we are talking maybe only like a +500MHz (+13%) OC off the stock 3.7GHz 4C turbo. I dunno why we are even bothering to overclock, man.

Given that the non-OC parts also have a 65W TDP instead of a 95W one, the -K parts could end up being overall inferior this generation.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

Given that the non-OC parts also have a 65W TDP instead of a 95W one, the -K parts could end up being overall inferior this generation.
They've been massively inferior ever since Haswell. You lose a grand total of 5% performance going from a regular non-i7 K-series at stock clock to a T-series chip and negligible if you went with the 65w S-series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Did I misread the charts or is the 6700k consuming a fair bit more power than the 4790k at the same clock speed?

2 years of development and intel's 14nm is still mediocre