Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Bear in mind that 'small fire' and 'forest fire' are closely-related concepts, but 1) it's usually raining every single day so that's not often a threat, and 2) who cares, fire is basically God in the apocalypse and that's pretty well-modeled in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fire is why i really enjoy finding a basement full of spiders or a fungal infestation or a triffid grove. Mmm barbeque.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Okay so I was playing :spergin: around with armor and I'm pretty happy with this setup for an archer. This has 90 volume, and all the +es are kevlar and leather except for the duster which is kevlar only:

The light survivor gloves make a huge difference in archery where you're reloading every shot; at 9 archery with a reflex recurve bow, it takes 61 ticks to quick fire with light survivor gloves, and 107 ticks to fire with heavy survivor gloves (20 encumbrance). If you were playing a ranged character it would make more sense to take the heavy survivor gloves.

E: No drop leg pouches because they are 2 encumbrance and will push me over the edge on my legs.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 4, 2015

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
Nice, that looks a lot like my setup but with light survivor gear everywhere but the helmet. Right down to the SMG in the harness and RM228 in an ankle holster. The only refinement I can think of is filling your boots with knives and ditching the utility belt for a firefighter belt or tactical dump pouch if you can get the Integrated Toolset CBM. And have you considered a MAC-10 for your last resort SMG? The 30 round burst will murder anything.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Hmm, all these are good suggestions. I did just get Integrated Toolset (I need to spend a few days reading textbooks I already have to get my First Aid up to 8), I do have a MAC-10 sitting at home, and that SMG slot is definitely intended to be a last resort. Once I get Integrated Toolkit installed, I do have a pair of dump pouches. One thing I noticed after I posted is that I could put on some knee pads too, but I haven't found any yet (or if I did, I cut them into plastic chunks :sigh:).

E: Woohoo, reverse jinxed myself, there was a pair of kneepads in the milsurp store where I had seen the dump pouches.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Aug 4, 2015

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
Yeah I'm expecting a MAC-10 nerf. Until then I'm happily carrying one at all times. Did some testing and a completely unskilled survivor can kill a hulk with one burst at melee range. That was before they rebalanced .45 and 9mm ammo, but it only took half the burst to get the kill and should hold up even with the 20% reduction in .45 damage.

Also whoever is doing this rebalancing is overlooking the related code. So reloaded .45 is unchanged, it hits like a truck compared to factory rounds. And reloaded 9mm is as garbage as it was before.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
It's really too bad the Zweihander doesn't have rapid strikes or something to make it comparable in attack speed to the katana's bigger brother, since launching things across the screen doesn't really get old with it. Plus its got block.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe in the future you'll be able to use them as ammo for your railgun.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

nftyw posted:

Maybe in the future you'll be able to use them as ammo for your railgun.

A man can dream...

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
You can already use them as ammo for your railgun CBM. :hellyeah:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Welp, now I need to find an MBT.

http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=212.915

:pwn: Owned that wolf so hard he died twice.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Aside from purifier, is it possible to get rid of a mutation? I got albino and even the cheat menu can't get rid of it (the sunlight penalty remains) and purifier just removes four or so good mutations.

edit: while I remember, I have four heavy rollers mounted on heavy duty frames on the front of my car, and I've never once seen a message about them hitting a zombie, just the heavy duty frame. What did I miss, or do they just not work?

King Doom fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 4, 2015

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

As long as you actually mutated it and didn't select it as a trait or take a random character with albino as a trait, purifier will eventually cure it. It will probably remove all your other mutations as well but hey it works!

Unfortunately there aren't any mutations you can take to cancel out albino so if the penalty is just straight bugged somehow (not hard to believe given the way development happens) and you didn't have it as a trait then your real answer is nope, you're screwed. Don't do random mutagen, stay in school, yada yada.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Ahhhhhh hahahaha gently caress LIGHTING in the experimental builds. Finally, FINALLY found a loving lab, was just cruising safely through, see an unlit door on an unlit wall, cool, pop the door, make sure there's no lighting on the corridor or in the room, okay, looks safe-

I step inside and the turret is THREE loving TILES AWAY and perforates my character with multiple rounds of fire in a single turn due to the pain penalty of getting shot up the first round.

I hadn't found a single library and was struggling to loot ordinary houses efficiently thanks to the super-powered waves of special zombies, so I wanted to finish a lab raid up for some crafting books before finishing up my mid-game skill grinding and armoring myself up completely.

Seriously, I'm gonna just debug myself my old skillset and some survivor armor if I bother remaking a character in this particular world. What the gently caress is wrong with lighting right now?!

E: Pffthahaha, okay, THAT'S kind of funny. The game crashed while going through the death process, so my character's memorial file is completely blank, so I don't even have an accurate list of their skill levels. The game is actively refuting me at this point and telling me to gently caress off.

E2: Painfully lost a lot of the stuff that character had, but I'm mostly back in order now, and after almost dying to ANOTHER turret, I've pretty much got the situation figured out. First, I move around a LOT before opening a fresh door in a lab, sometimes the lighting seems to go weird for a turn and acts like light sources don't exist or that my night vision has been negated despite no nearby light sources. Secondly, holy poo poo turrets have a HUGE light radius now. Third, amusingly, there's an ongoing discussion on some websites for the game on whether using the Zoom feature, the 'V' creatures list, or different tilesets that increase your viewable area are cheating, because you shouldn't be able to easily see the entire area your character can see because that's against the spirit of the game. :whoptc:

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 5, 2015

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
Oh good, they fixed the lighting issues. Finally.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

I know those control laptops make turrets farrrr too trivial but those days i don't go to a place with turrets without one, it's just not worth repairing my damaged reinforced carry/volume equipment (duffel bags, etc..) every time it got damaged by bullets. If you go to a labs/base you should definitively get one and use it on both turrets and manhacks, it makes the whole thing trivial,. Also i shouldn't have started using a Camera, it just turned the game into pokemon for me. Gonna get list them all.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh god help. I found out what kind of stuff banks have kept hidden and now I've planned a bank busting spree.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I have heard good things about bank vaults, but haven't had much luck; most have been empty for me, with one containing a couple of guns and a bunch of cash. The loot-spawning routine is really bizarrely erratic, it just constantly seems to be feast or famine.

Toplowtech posted:

Also i shouldn't have started using a Camera, it just turned the game into Pokemon Snap for me. Gonna get list them all.

Don't be ashamed, it's only just about the best videogame ever.

...now that I think of it, there was an entire (short-lived, I presume) era of photography games like Pokemon Snap, mostly poo poo like Dinosaur Safari on DOS platforms, which lives on marginally in poo poo like the Pictobox sidequests in Wind Waker. There really needs to be a total game conversion mod supporting this sort of thing with a central series of photo safari stores where you trade in good pictures for points and upgrades. How long can you afford to steady your aim on that charging zombie hulk? If you can center him in the frame it's worth double points!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

I know those control laptops make turrets farrrr too trivial but those days i don't go to a place with turrets without one, it's just not worth repairing my damaged reinforced carry/volume equipment (duffel bags, etc..) every time it got damaged by bullets. If you go to a labs/base you should definitively get one and use it on both turrets and manhacks, it makes the whole thing trivial,. Also i shouldn't have started using a Camera, it just turned the game into pokemon for me. Gonna get list them all.

Well gently caress, now I'm going to have to refrain from turning my next camera into security camera parts.

Completely unrelated, but jumping the fence on a park and hitting the F button until nothing is moving is a great way to build archery. I've killed off hundreds of zombie kids so far, so I feel nothing but TARGET ACQUIRED. :awesomelon:

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 5, 2015

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Slings and a huge pile of pebbles/bearings/marbles are also a great way to get marksmanship to like 6

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
carry a shotgun so you dont die to lab turrets

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Best update..

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

MECHATORG ANGRY AT FLAT TIRE RARGH

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
I feel like I heard about it here, so thanks to whoever mentioned leather chaps as a leg armor option. No encumbrance, doesn't share a layer with other important gear, and goes great with a cowboy hat. Now it's time to find a badge and the biggest revolvers possible.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

palamedes posted:

I feel like I heard about it here, so thanks to whoever mentioned leather chaps as a leg armor option. No encumbrance, doesn't share a layer with other important gear, and goes great with a cowboy hat. Now it's time to find a badge and the biggest revolvers possible.

Holy poo poo, the mythical leg outer layer. I think it's just chaps and dusters, any others?

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

bitcoin bastard posted:

Holy poo poo, the mythical leg outer layer. I think it's just chaps and dusters, any others?

http://cdda-trunk.estilofusion.com/flags/OUTER

A quick look says ski pants and cloaks for warmth are the main attraction. Leather chaps also go real well with the fencing jacket, more unencumbered protection on the outer layer. But with the jacket you have to choose between it and a trenchcoat.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh god why do I have 'Cauterize yourself for fun' as an option?!

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

SynthOrange posted:

Oh god why do I have 'Cauterize yourself for fun' as an option?!

Shows up if you have the 'masochist' trait or any of its variants and attempt to use a knife or soldering iron without having any bleeding/infected wounds.

Guessing: kevin/whales have no idea how masochism actually works :v:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

silentsnack posted:

Shows up if you have the 'masochist' trait or any of its variants and attempt to use a knife or soldering iron without having any bleeding/infected wounds.

You can also do it with a vehicle-mounted welder.

Sadly, the medical threshold's "complete immunity to pain" mutation gets in the way of its turbo-masochism mutation, so my survivor will never get to experience true ecstasy.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
Welp never plan on shooting your way through a vault unless you're very rich in ammo. I gave up on the shotgun approach after 250 shells lightly dented the zombie infestation.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

palamedes posted:

Welp never plan on shooting your way through a vault unless you're very rich in ammo. I gave up on the shotgun approach after 250 shells lightly dented the zombie infestation.

Yeah, vaults are just stupid right now. They're not really a threat as long as you're wearing decent armor, and there are just too many enemies. On top of that, all the zombies break all of the furniture, so you can't even see half of the setpieces before they're torn apart, and you have to bring a torch or pickaxe to get around since they wreck the door levers too.

Really not a fan of vaults right now, even though in theory they're pretty cool. They need fewer zombies, and much more variety of zombies so that they can be actually interesting.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

silentsnack posted:

Does that surprise you?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Fun fact: It is apparently possible to teleport away from a zombie's grab and still be in that grab. Not sure if the latest experimentals have fixed that. This is doubly fun if that grab was from a grappler zombie standing in a pool of acid and fire.

I'm really not a fan of this thing that keeps happening where I lose an extra turn after being hit which ends up chaining into multiple more hits. The grappler managed to keep me held there in hitstun for so long that a corrosive zombie had time to puke on me until both my legs broke, because they were the most lightly-armored part of me. It's fun chain-whipping a bunch of zombies with a bullwhip and then seeing the wave of hit notifications pour off of them in one big wave, it's a little less fun when it happens back to me. :v:

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Where do vaults typically appear? I looked around and the only reference I could find is to a "Necropolis" which allegedly always appears under furniture shops and can only be accessed by mining through sewers.

Myself, I have never seen one and I can't even seem to find screenshots of one.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Dirk the Average posted:

Yeah, vaults are just stupid right now. They're not really a threat as long as you're wearing decent armor, and there are just too many enemies. On top of that, all the zombies break all of the furniture, so you can't even see half of the setpieces before they're torn apart, and you have to bring a torch or pickaxe to get around since they wreck the door levers too.

Really not a fan of vaults right now, even though in theory they're pretty cool. They need fewer zombies, and much more variety of zombies so that they can be actually interesting.

Yup started punching them to death once I realized the damage notifications from their lunges were bugged and I was actually an invincible martial arts god. 600 kills and I'm not close to half done. But the payout so far is excellent. A gallon of various mutagen serums and nearly every book I wanted is almost worth the hassle. Almost.

PiCroft posted:

Where do vaults typically appear? I looked around and the only reference I could find is to a "Necropolis" which allegedly always appears under furniture shops and can only be accessed by mining through sewers.

Myself, I have never seen one and I can't even seem to find screenshots of one.

If you find a town with craters and irradiated wanderer zombies around, get into the sewers and look for manholes going deeper. Be ready for a million goddamn zombies.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
So I bashed a bed to pieces for rags and found a set of stairs under it that had a basement full o guns and an arc cannon. Is that an new hidden room type or just lovely/awesome stair placement leading to a gun nut basement?

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Just imagine the Legend of Zelda secret theme playing afterwards and roll with it. I've seen situations similar to that in labs.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Except with the stairs being under a dissector.

ALright so wandering through the wilderness I'm surrounded by wildlife all the time. They're not hostile, they're just crowding everywhere around my murderbus. What the hell is going on? It got so bad I couldnt even move because there were that many clogging up around the car.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Obviously you stumbled on a safari park and the wildlife thinks you're going to be throwing oreos out the window and making kissy noises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Except with the stairs being under a dissector.

ALright so wandering through the wilderness I'm surrounded by wildlife all the time. They're not hostile, they're just crowding everywhere around my murderbus. What the hell is going on? It got so bad I couldnt even move because there were that many clogging up around the car.

Craft/find a food dehydrator and enjoy not having to hunt for the next year.

I ended up making a small vehicle with roller drums on it because I get like zero wildlife in the plains around my base, and anything big enough to be worth hunting runs the gently caress away faster than me. Now I just drive at 50mph through the forest, ghost riding the whip and taking potshots at Bambi's mom. :v:

E: Why do moose only spawn at the beginning of the game. I would loving love to get mobbed by like 10 mooses (meese?) right now, I'd be set for meat for a year.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 6, 2015