Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

loving love this

Edit- for contribution: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/corgi-beach-day_55b7cba7e4b0a13f9d1a7961

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Alright so I'm getting closer and closer to a dogge so I'll be asking a lot of questions the next couple weeks.

I'm not going to lie I am a bit lost. We always had dogs growing up but it was a large handful of us taking care of them. Never was my sole responsibility. Finances are alright. It's definitely going to be a rescue. Again, don't care about breeds just no yap dogges and it can't be aggressive. Also no puppies (not my rules) It's going to have to be on the smaller size because my place is quite small. I'd say between 20-40 lbs? Hope to train it up to ride on my motorcycle at some point. I just want a chill dog that sleeps all day but can run wild for an hour or two when I take him out. I don't want to but there will be sometimes where I'll
be gone for 8 hours. I will be taking it out very often and pretty much everywhere I go. Luckily the neighbors pretty much all have dogges and two of them have a yard so sure I'll work something out down the line with taking turns walking eachothers dogge. I'm also not a big fan of leashes and want it to follow me in tow and come the first time I call it. Not trying to teach it dumb tricks just some obedience

Is hardwood a concern? Just keep the nails trimmed? Luckily it's sealed but hope I don't forget about urine behind a couch or something and it soaks in

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 4, 2015

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I'm the only one taking care of my dog. Crate training has really helped

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I think there is a thread in PI about greyhounds. I know people adopt ex racing greyhounds and from what I have heard they are pretty laid back

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Alright so I'm getting closer and closer to a dogge so I'll be asking a lot of questions the next couple weeks.

I'm not going to lie I am a bit lost. We always had dogs growing up but it was a large handful of us taking care of them. Never was my sole responsibility. Finances are alright. It's definitely going to be a rescue. Again, don't care about breeds just no yap dogges and it can't be aggressive. Also no puppies (not my rules) It's going to have to be on the smaller size because my place is quite small. I'd say between 20-40 lbs? Hope to train it up to ride on my motorcycle at some point. I just want a chill dog that sleeps all day but can run wild for an hour or two when I take him out. I don't want to but there will be sometimes where I'll
be gone for 8 hours. I will be taking it out very often and pretty much everywhere I go. Luckily the neighbors pretty much all have dogges and two of them have a yard so sure I'll work something out down the line with taking turns walking eachothers dogge. I'm also not a big fan of leashes and want it to follow me in tow and come the first time I call it. Not trying to teach it dumb tricks just some obedience

Is hardwood a concern? Just keep the nails trimmed? Luckily it's sealed but hope I don't forget about urine behind a couch or something and it soaks in

Crate train for when your away, even if your dogge is an absolute angel and you don't mind letting it roam your house, it's a good idea.
Your hardwood will probably get some scratches, even if you keep the nails trimmed, sometimes they get excited and wanna run. We've had big dogges for about 13 years and our hardwood isn't all that banged up more than normal wear and tear.
If you don't have a yard to use daily, make sure you take it on walks or to the park so it can expend some energy.
As far as leashes go, that shits a law where I'm from so you basically have to keep your dogge on a leash in public, but after a couple completed obedience courses your dogge can reliably stay with you and come when called. At least that was part of the curriculum for the training center I worked with.

Edit: Also met Margot at the shelter today.

Turtle Dad 420 fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 5, 2015

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Label Facing Right posted:

Was told that I should post my dogge here for everyone to enjoy.

This is Dixie.

I adopted Dixie from a co-worker about 4 months ago, who had rescued her from some irresponsible owners who from what I'm told, basically kept her in a garage with a open bad of dog food. Prior to that she was bit by a crocodile when she was a puppy and had to have reconstructive surgery on her face. So she's had kind of a..... ruff.... life :downsgun:, but I'm glad that I have her now and that she's super friendly to every person and other dogge she meets.

She is always way excited to go for walks and likes to grab the leash in her mouth and tug me out the door just to make sure I don't back out of the walk at the last second.
Hooray, Dixie! :3:

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Turtle Dad 420 posted:

Crate train for when your away, even if your dogge is an absolute angel and you don't mind letting it roam your house, it's a good idea.
Your hardwood will probably get some scratches, even if you keep the nails trimmed, sometimes they get excited and wanna run. We've had big dogges for about 13 years and our hardwood isn't all that banged up more than normal wear and tear.
If you don't have a yard to use daily, make sure you take it on walks or to the park so it can expend some energy.
As far as leashes go, that shits a law where I'm from so you basically have to keep your dogge on a leash in public, but after a couple completed obedience courses your dogge can reliably stay with you and come when called. At least that was part of the curriculum for the training center I worked with.

Edit: Also met Margot at the shelter today.

How's Zelda? Does Zelda have an Instagram?

Also hi Margot :3:

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

How's Zelda? Does Zelda have an Instagram?

Also hi Margot :3:

Being a good rear end dogge, sadly no instagram.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I disagree with locking your dog in a cage for 8~ hours a day. Might as well have left it in the fuckin pound.

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I disagree with locking your dog in a cage for 8~ hours a day. Might as well have left it in the fuckin pound.

I meant mostly for if your dog has issues going to the bathroom or tearing poo poo up, or for a place for it to feel safe while you're asleep or gone for a bit. But you know, go ahead and leave him at the most likely overcrowded shelter with a deadline before he is euthanized.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

He's in his crate for a few hours a day. He usually sleeps

Here is a good article on crate training

http://m.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/crate_training.html

EXTREME INSERTION fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 5, 2015

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

He's in his crate for a few hours a day. He usually sleeps

Here is a good article on crate training

http://m.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/crate_training.html

i support free-range dogs. any dog ive ever had has had a dog bed and whenever they've gotten scared or wanted to sleep and it wasn't night time(im a sucker for letting a dog sleep on my bed) they've always just gone to the dog bed because they know thats their space. you dont need to send 'em to doggy jail for them to have their own space imo. dogs are pretty smart.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
Adopted greyhounds or any racing dogge are chill as gently caress. After running their whole lives, all they want to do is be lazy, with some occasional play time.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Timothy sitrep:

Chillin'.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Zipper sitrep:

Being comfy.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
Alfie SITREP

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Pette Smart

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Alfie owns

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
More pics of really good rear end dogges (I forgot to post their names last time)

This is Sadie:

And this is Bruno

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Give Sadie whatever she wants :3:

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Medium Style posted:

Our dog found a very confused bird in our driveway.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
lab.gif

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

http://imgur.com/gallery/aK8URtV

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

http://imgur.com/gallery/aB9xH

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lazy Reservist posted:

Adopted greyhounds or any racing dogge are chill as gently caress. After running their whole lives, all they want to do is be lazy, with some occasional play time.

[/lurk] I've met and worked with a about a half dozen retired Greyhounds and yeah, they're pretty chill. One I know of is old and grouchy but gives plenty of warning before he bites. But he's the exception and not the rule. Normally, they just lay around and relax. There are one or two, though, that are younger and when they play it's usually at full speed.
Plus, they often have tattoos which the chicks dig.[lurk]

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 5, 2015

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

jfc I'm dying here

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Omnishambles posted:

[/lurk] I've met and worked with a about a half dozen retired Greyhounds and yeah, they're pretty chill. One I know of is old and grouchy but gives plenty of warning before he bites. But he's the exception and not the rule. Normally, they just lay around and relax. There are one or two, though, that are younger and when they play it's usually at full speed.
Plus, they often have tattoos which the chicks dig.[lurk]

They remind me of the retired race horse I used to ride: nice but pretty lazy, although when they want to play for a bit holy poo poo can they go

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday
Zelda Sitrep: Laziest GSD ever.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
ZELDA 01, THIS IS DOGGE TOWER, HOLD SHORT FOR PETTES

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Yo bloop, I know you want some dogge so here's two

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
You're not wrong.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I have a weird but silly idea (sure I'm not the first)

Has anyone or anyone known someone to teach their dogs commands in another language but still using English almost exclusively? I'll definitely speak to it in English (I speak full sentences to dogs, thank you very much) but I go to a lot of dogge crowded areas. I mean I'm sure they can distinguish your voice quite well. Just basic commands:

"Come here"
"Let's go"
"Let's go for a walk"
"Let's go to sleep"

Etc

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

I worked for a guy who trained his pit to respond to German commands.

Apparently its not that rare. And usually involves German/Russian because dogs respond to it better?? Or some poo poo like that was his reasoning.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Yo bloop, I know you want some dogge so here's two

Hi Tim 'n Zip!

what does your nerdy throw blanket say if anything?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I have a weird but silly idea (sure I'm not the first)

Has anyone or anyone known someone to teach their dogs commands in another language but still using English almost exclusively? I'll definitely speak to it in English (I speak full sentences to dogs, thank you very much) but I go to a lot of dogge crowded areas. I mean I'm sure they can distinguish your voice quite well. Just basic commands:

"Come here"
"Let's go"
"Let's go for a walk"
"Let's go to sleep"

Etc

Pax's buddy Sam the St. Bernard takes most commands in russian, even though his family is bilingual

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Genocide Tendency posted:

I worked for a guy who trained his pit to respond to German commands.

Apparently its not that rare. And usually involves German/Russian because dogs respond to it better?? Or some poo poo like that was his reasoning.

the truth is that if someone is breaking into your house someone shouting russian or german is scarier than someone shouting in english

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

what does your nerdy throw blanket say if anything?

Predictably: "blanket"

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah I guess I just wouldn't want the dog to be confused by the hundreds of people yelling at their dog to come here, stop, etc. Plus I feel like the commands would hold more assertiveness since the dog wouldn't hear it 100 times when it's around other dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

When I issue commands to either Timothy or Zipper, I make eye contact when I call their name. When they register that they're ready for a command, their ears flip forward (sometimes a small head-tilt) letting me know they're receptive.

I know this isn't the most ... convenient? way to go about it, especially when you're trying to say "Timothy stop being a bitch" from a room away because the kids outside are shrieking at the top of their lungs because they've apparently never gotten wet at the pool before.