Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Looks like a cruise of a run chase. Are they just bowling poo poo or are the kiwis just a level above them.

I was going through Steve Smiths first class record and its amazing how close to ruining him Australian cricket came. He was playing at about 5/6 for NSW as a batsman and he gets selected for Australia as a bowler at 22 or something stupid. Gets dropped back to NSW who then play him....as a bowling allrounder.

It wasn't until a few years ago that he worked his way back into the NSW top order.

This was all in the post Warne brainsnap that took place over Australian cricket. I might criticise Lyon for a few things (bowling around the wicket, bowling too quickly, looking like an alien) but i am loving glad he put a stop to that nonsense

*blonde kid takes a few arsey wickets bowling leg spin during the first few shield games next year. Lyon gets dropped for the gabba test*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Batsmen stayed calm and knew they were in no rush, bowlers had no penetration and couldn't draw out any bad shots to force a wicket.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Good to see the ICC turn Ajmal from a filthy dirty cheat into a 45mph spinner who doesn't turn the ball at all.

Wouldn't want the poor little batsmen getting confused.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

goatface posted:

Bangladesh are going to draw a test series with South Africa by scheduling it during the rainy season.

Smart.

Canada to claim several draws against test nations by scheduling January-March series to be played in Edmonton, Winnipeg and Saskatoon.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I watched a couple of overs of Dernbach getting smashed around the Kia Oval and felt oddly satisfied.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

That Curran looks handy for a 17 year old

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Good take by the keeper, action a bit suspect though.

(Shamelessly stolen from the mlb gif thread)

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Spedman posted:

i thought they had fixed ajmal's action?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

IceAgeComing posted:

i thought they had fixed ajmal's action?

More like wtf have Loughborough done to Finn now?

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Where are the wickets?

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
Leg slip is probably a bit too close

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
the boundary behind the batsman looks incredibly short; just get buttler to play a few of his scoop shots and you're guaranteed to win

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Good to see a keeper standing up to the stumps to a fast bowler though.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Drugs posted:

Because they've hit quota for weird pencilneck lookin dudes

So no Jordan Silk for the foreseeable future then?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

-Spiffy- posted:

Good to see a keeper standing up to the stumps

There's a joke here about MS Dhoni and David Warner but I can't quite find it

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
And it bears a striking resemblance to the Maxwell leave

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Spedman posted:

Look at that dirt being kicked up from the pitch. Get the spinner on imho.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

tanglewood1420 posted:

Look at that dirt being kicked up from the pitch. Get the spinner on imho.

(Shh..he already is)

Baseball is kinda in a pitcher Golden Age right now.. Clayton Kershaw can pitch at 94MPH, he can pitch at 74MPH, he can also pitch deceptively so it curves beginning above your head before ending up in the catcher's mitt directly in the strike zone, if you take the pitcher's mound into account, that's over 1.5 METERS of vertical motion.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/pitchcraft-clayton-kershaw-the-worlds-best-pitcher/

Unfortunately if you are a batter, his pitch release point is the exact same place for every different pitch he throws. Good luck guessing what's coming next.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MaoistBanker fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 5, 2015

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
couldn't hurt, right?
http://www.espncricinfo.com/blogs/content/story/905947.html

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
England have scored 400 once this series, and the guy who made 130 of those runs was dropped on 0. He is also their only centurion for the series. I don't think bowling is the problem

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

What australia should do is drop actual ok bowlers for a dude even the author of the article admits he has never watched play in english conditions.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
It's like when Warne pumped up Michael Beer and the next week he was in the test team, except instead of Warne it's some rich dickhead with an ugly tie who played a game for Oxford once.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Drugs posted:

It's like when Warne pumped up Michael Beer and the next week he was in the test team, except instead of Warne it's some rich dickhead with an ugly tie who played a game for Oxford once.

Warne probably made that recommendation based on the guy's name rather than anything else

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

The bowlers have occasionally bowled a bit short but they are not the issue

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Burn Down Canberra posted:

The bowlers have occasionally bowled a bit short but they are not the issue

The issue is so loving obviously the middle order

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Byolante posted:

What australia should do is drop actual ok bowlers for a dude even the author of the article admits he has never watched play in english conditions.

plus he's 35 lol

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Shmoses posted:

The issue is so loving obviously the middle order

Hazelwood has been Australia's best bowler since the world cup.....better drop him because of a poor game.

I've said it about ten times but Clarke isn't letting them build pressure.

And yeah the middle order sucks.

Edit

I said in my write up of the top ten not Smith and Rogers FC run getters last year that I think s Marsh is looking like he might do a job. Am I just crazy or what.

He has been scoring runs at an acceptable consistency over the last two years.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
plus he usually gets a century when hes brought back after an extended period

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I can't see Smarsh doing very well in English conditions. He'll be nicking off to slips in no time. I mean, I'd love to be proven wrong but it's Smarsh.

Seams fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Aug 5, 2015

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I said in my write up of the top ten not Smith and Rogers FC run getters last year that I think s Marsh is looking like he might do a job. Am I just crazy or what.

He kinda always has scored a lot of runs outside Tests though? I mean he's scored 6500 FC runs at an average just under 40, but has never really looked likely in the Test arena

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

I'm pretty sure he's scored like half of his FC tons in the last couple of years. And he made those two tons in the warm up games. There's not much more he can do. At this point you can more or less guarantee that he'll go better than anyone else in the middler order so why not give him a go. I also wouldn't be opposed to Watson coming back. He might make 30 and get out but that's better than 20 and getting out. Won't happen though.

EDIT: ALso I think if we're going to persist with M Marsh he should bat at 7 and Nevill 6. Nevill looked the only player remotely like a middle order batsman at Edgbaston. On both sides.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I think it's important to keep in mind that Smarsh is probably going to replace Rogers after this series, in which case the question becomes who replaces Smarsh? And Voges? I don't think they'll pick another couple of old blokes. A home Test against the Windies is probably the easiest debut one could ask for, mind.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

It will be new Zealand first and they have a very strong group of pace bowlers.

A lot will depend on FC cricket before the test summer starts but its going to be Watto.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Aus have a couple of tests against Bangladesh after the Ashes, could be a good opportunity to blood some new players. Bangladesh will likely win whatever Australia do though.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Who plays good cricket in Asia

Not Australia.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

It will be new Zealand first and they have a very strong group of pace bowlers.

A lot will depend on FC cricket before the test summer starts but its going to be Watto.

If Boult is back :ohdear:

Knowing our history we'll likely never see him again/only see a broken shell.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Australia in Bangladesh should be interesting watching. Bangladesh have got a bit of self belief about them, they'll probably be up for a scrap.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

goatface posted:

Australia in Bangladesh should be interesting watching. Bangladesh have got a bit of self belief about them, they'll probably be up for a scrap.

A new tearaway fast bowler, batsmen with confidence, a team that no longer expects crushing defeat vs a team that has lost 6 out of their last 6 tests in Asia. Go Bangla!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

goatface posted:

God could you imaging Cricket Australia's Cultural Ambassador David Warner in that country? The Australian Foreign Minister will have to spend months afterwards trying to heal the damage done by him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Yikes :ohdear:

quote:

Former Pakistani cricket captain Wasim Akram escapes shooting

KARACHI: A gunman opened fire on former Pakistani cricket captain Wasim Akram's car in the city of Karachi on Wednesday, an apparent incident of road-rage in a metropolis beset by violence.

Akram, considered one of the greatest one-day international cricketers of all time, told reporters that no one was hurt in the shooting which occurred as he was on his way to the city's National Stadium where he is holding a bowling camp.

"A car hit my vehicle and when we asked the driver to pull over, he stepped out and opened fire," Akram told reporters shortly after the shooting.

"He definitely looked like an official," he said of the shooter. "If he can do this to me, what will he do to the common man?"

Senior police officer Munir Shaikh ruled out an assassination attempt or a robbery.

"This was just an incident of road rage," he said. "We have identified the car from CCTV footage and will have the suspect in custody in a couple of hours."

In 2009, a dozen Islamist militant gunmen attacked Sri Lanka's cricket team when it was visiting Pakistan, wounding six players and a British coach and killing at least eight Pakistanis in the city of Lahore.

Pakistan did not host a top-flight international cricket match for six years after that attack. In May, it hosted Zimbabwe for two Twenty20 internationals and a three-match one-day series.