Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Previous Ys LPs
Ys I & II Chronicles
Ys III: Wanderers from Ys
Ys: The Oath in Felghana
Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys

Previous thread (needs archives!): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3660295

Ys Origin is the ninth title in the Ys series, a long running series of Action RPGs developed by Falcom that started all the way back in 1987 and is still going strong. It was originally released for PC in Japan on December 21st 2006. Six years later XSEED translated and published the game to Steam on the 1st June, 2012.
The engine driving this game follows a similar gameplay engine employed in Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim and refined in Ys: The Oath in Felghana. The style of graphics was used throughout a great deal of Falcom's releases over the 2000's including the Trails series.

In terms of Ys games to get you into the series Origin is definitely a good place to start. It has a little something for old and new players alike and in terms of content you're going to get a lot of bang for your buck, for better or worse. This game has both good and bad elements mixed in but overall it's a solid game with plenty of content to keep players coming back for more.

Following the plot revelations of Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim, Falcom had to make elaborate revisions to the plot of previously established games in the series, the most important of which allowed Falcom to make an origin story for their first game: Ancient Ys Vanished.

The story takes place 700 years before the events of Ys I:

There once was a wildly prosperous land named Ys, ruled by the twin Goddesses Reah and Feena and their six priestly retainers. It was a veritable paradise, with all its residents able to enact miracles at will through the use of magic – a power granted them by a holy artifact known as the Black Pearl.

One day, without warning, enormous demons marched upon the land, bringing death and devastation in their wake. Their numbers and their might were too much for the knights and sorcerers of Ys to handle, so the people sought shelter within their holiest of temples at the top of the tallest mountain. In a desperate attempt to keep these people safe, the twin Goddesses used the power of the Black Pearl to tear this temple from the ground and raise it into the heavens, away from the ever-growing threat below.

The demons were determined, however. They erected an enormous tower from which further attacks were launched, bringing the battle into the skies. An all-out war had begun, with forces concentrated in Solomon Shrine above and the Devil's Tower below.

And it was amidst this chaos that the twin Goddesses stole away into the night. No one was told of their departure – not even the Six Priests who served them. It seemed clear that they'd gone back to the surface, but no one knew exactly why. Only one thing was certain: Without the Goddesses, Ys could not survive.

Intent on finding their missing deities, the Six Priests organized a search party of the most elite knights and sorcerers in the land. These soldiers were given a single mission: Secure the safety of Ladies Reah and Feena, and bring them back to Solomon Shrine alive and well.

But in the desolate, ruined remains of Ys, there's only one place they could have gone...

The Devil's Tower itself.

Source: XSEED's Ys Origin site

Covering all this game has to offer is going to be an absurd trial as the game has about four times the amount of content Oath in Felghana had. Not to mention the game has multiple playthroughs as different characters. We're going to cover all of them, but we're going to mix things up to keep it interesting.

Arc 1 - Training Mittens
The first playthrough will be a Hard mode playthrough as Yunica Tovah. Solo commentary, same sort of deal as the Oath in Felghana LP. This run should get updated pretty regularly as I just record content whenever I feel like it.

Arc 2 - Hugo's Bizarre Adventure
For this second playthrough I'll be doing something I've never tried before. The playthrough will be a Normal mode Hugo Fact run and I won't be playing! I'm putting the controller in the hands of my friend, Deep-Friar, who will be playing through the game for the first time. He won't be alone, however, I'll be sitting behind him guiding him along giving him possibly useful information but more than likely just being an rear end in a top hat. This run will get updated in large bursts as it's harder to get Deeps in for recording than it is me just recording solo. I also have no concept of a backlog.

Arc 3 - Knightmare
The third playthrough will be a complete runthrough of the game as Toal on Nightmare difficulty. This series will tackle the game as the most difficult and most fun character, showing off how much of the game is altered specifically for this character. This story is not unlocked until you have completed at least one of the previous arcs, and I recommend you watch either Yunica or Hugo's story before this one.
This playthrough will be talking about the game as though people have played it at least once, will discuss some finer points of the systems in the game, and will contain spoilers for other entries in the series.
Commentary will be done with a mixture of guests I'll pull in from places so expect derails and being generally offensive to everyone.

All playthroughs will be 100%, we are going to put this game in the ground.

All videos are hosted on Youtube in 720p/30.

Arena Mode
A short series showing off the unlockable characters and other bonus disc content.
1 - Yunica EX
2 - Adol (YsVI)
3 - Adol (OiF)
4 - Hugo EX
5 - Toal EX
6 - The Hard One
7 - Pikkardon

Extra Content
Showing off a neat trick you can do as Hugo when fighting Epona

toddy. fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Pics from Pals

Seedy Wizard

Camel Pimp

Ys I & II Chronicles, Oath in Felghana, Ys Origin and Ys VI are now all available in English on both Steam and GoG! Support the developers and publishers by picking up a copy and maybe we'll finally see a release of Zwei!!2.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Welcome back!

We're finally back on track after half a year's absence kicking things off with a romp through the Demonic Core. Thanks for your patience over the last few months and I have another update that will be posted in a day or two once I'm done editing it.

For those new to the thread you've got over 30 videos of content to catch up on but I hope you enjoy it anyways.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 17, 2015

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

I'm very excited about the second coming of this thread.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Year of the revived LP's :buddy:

Pins
Jul 16, 2010

Haven't You Heard?
tear it down. tear down toddys rear end in a top hat. now

welcome back toddy

http://www.pinsanddryzen.us/toddy/

also welcome back thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7lAE7gAaGE

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
im toddy's biggest fan

Seedy Wizard
Feb 17, 2011

who wants a
body massage
Oh boy!

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Hopefully I can finish the entirety of Yunica's playthrough by the end of next week. Totally doable given there's only one dungeon left after next episode.
It's edited too so I'll pack it and load it onto the tubes over the next couple days.

I also need to speak to Deeps to see when he's free to record again as I didn't really tell him I was going to reboot the thread. I would like to get that done in two or so sessions over the coming weeks.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Great to see this back, as the previous incarnation of the LP inspired me to purchase the game and beat it with all three characters. (On Normal, as doing three playthroughs will burn anyone out for a bit.) Also you'd mentioned the don't-use-Burst achievement at around nine minutes into the video; I believe that it actually applies instead to the secret character.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Yay, great to see this LP back.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

NGDBSS posted:

Also you'd mentioned the don't-use-Burst achievement at around nine minutes into the video; I believe that it actually applies instead to the secret character.

It's just the secret character. My comprehension is way out of whack today.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 18, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I had to read the spoilered image like three times before I realized it said "neither / nor" not "either or". Can't they just say "as the third character"?

Glad to see this back, I was enjoying the videos from the other thread even if I didn't post much, I dig the hell out of the Ys series :)

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
Yay, it has returned! :allears: Glad you're back, Toddy, I was quite enjoying this series.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Slightly shorter update, now with a little Q&A at the end. I might keep doing that for a while I might not.
Everything is mirrors, Zava is laughably easy but awesome nonetheless.

Deeps is going to help record some Hugo stuff later today hopefully that will be good and I will post that stuff next week.

Edit: Here, have some badly taken pictures of art bits from the game manual.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 19, 2015

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I think I'd mentally blocked out Yunica's ridiculous mittens up until that picture of her and Roy.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the mittens are good

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
We recorded some Hugo stuff the other day and I'll get around to editing that maybe tonight. Unfortunately we're going to have to re-record the Demonic Core as Fraps decided to not play nice. A bit unfortunate since you missed an insane Zava fight where he clutched half the fight at 1HP. We aim to record more Hugo stuff in a fortnight's time and then that run will be done.

Expect a Hugo video or two over the coming days, maybe another Yunica video. I'm considering doing the last part of the game on nightmare mode as Yunica as I have a save kicking around at the point we're at on that playthrough now. I'm also considering not using the fire magic in the upcoming (boss spoiler) Kishgal rematch to make things interesting but I'm not sure yet.

Cake Attack posted:

the mittens are good

:agreed:

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

I edited this video while watching evo with many people screaming in my ear so let me know if the audio could do with some improving in future updates. Still getting back in the swing of this multiple-people-on-one-mic thing.

Also we bought stuff from a US foods importer so expect pretzel and m&ms, followed by MYSTERIOUS COMMUNISM SODA in a couple eps' time.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jul 20, 2015

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Audio is fine on my end, microphones level could be a tad higher but it's all good.

Seedy Wizard
Feb 17, 2011

who wants a
body massage
Nice one Deeps! Wishing you a speedy recovery from getting those spines pulled out of your teeth after face planting all those rotating cactus things.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Deeps gets stuck into the Demonic Core and gets pounded in the first half. Will the second prove as challenging?

Also apologies about the audio in this one I started getting further and further away from the mic and balancing the audio became a nightmare but it should still be audible enough.

I'm going to estimate the next video will go up in 3 or so days. Just gotta mix the audio and make final cuts in time around C# coding and playing Demon Gaze.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

toddy. posted:

Deeps ... gets pounded

He was not prepared for the thrusting. :v:

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I just finished editing together another two Hugo videos and I'm going to hopefully finish commentating the last couple Yunica videos this weekend maybe?

Captain Bravo posted:

He was not prepared for the thrusting. :v:

He spent what felt like an hour saying the phrase milky discharge I sense this is definitely a sex thing.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Whenever I hear "milky discharge" I think of the one character from A Chorus Line who misdiagnosed his puberty for an STD. At least there it's played for laughs.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Hooray it's back! After a period of time made more indeterminate by differences in date format :v:

The reason that Hugo doesn't get hit by many of Khlonscard's projectiles is that they get by your attacks. And Hugo has the eyes which give him more attacks over a wider area giving him an incredibly effective shield.

It's interesting the differences in playstyle with Hugo that are going on. Deeps is doing well with the wind magic, you preferred the mines and I like hit stunning everything with the fire magic (even if it takes longer to kill things thanks to the damage bug you've mentioned.)

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
More Hugo more power!

A pretty interesting plot thing happens here and next episode. If you didn't like Hugo up until this point, you actually might after/during a little twist. Remember kids, the first time is always free.

I might upload the next video tomorrow assuming I get home and Windows 10 hasn't completely hosed my computer to hell.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Hugo hulks out.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
It looked like a brooch or something dropped from Epona and then when you regain control of Hugo, it's gone and only the trident is there. Did Hugo rob Epona's corpse-ash and the game didn't tell us?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

toddy. posted:

Hugo hulks out.

"The achievement you get for that is by losing on purpose."
"Uhhh how would I do that"
"By being a goddamn idiot"

... :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

look in fairness I was on Hard okay

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I can't believe Telstra crashed my update train.

loving australian internet rrrrg mumble grumble

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

I've been slowly working my way through a Yunica Nightmare playthrough, and I feel obligated to mention that I've been using all the Celcetan Panaceas I've found and just now during grinding for the boss of the Demonic Core I was getting hurt pretty badly but was able to escape back to the Goddess statue with exactly 1 HP.

That said, I'm definitely looking forward to your Nightmare playthrough because the whole Demonic Core area has just felt really unfair (more so than other Nightmare areas), and I'm interested in seeing if that's just the way things are or if I'm missing something that would make it less so.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Second last video of the playthrough. Pretty straightforward climb to the top of the Devil's Tower.
Next episode we'll wrap up Yunica's story and reveal the third character if you somehow haven't worked out who it is yet.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 6, 2015

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

toddy. posted:

Next episode we'll wrap up Yunica's story and reveal the third character if you somehow haven't worked out who it is yet.

Yay, we get to play as Feena now! :D

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I'm glad you're excited for my playthrough as Dogi.

He punched his way 700 years into the past to crush evil betwixt his powerful thighs.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

toddy. posted:

He punched his way 700 years into the past to crush evil betwixt his powerful thighs.

be still my beating heart

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

SorataYuy posted:

Yay, we get to play as Feena now! :D

Epona.

Or the guy who upgrades our weapons.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I'm pretty sure every game in the Y's series lets you become a Roo, through some spell or item or such, therefore I'm guessing the third character is going to be adorable. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

toddy. posted:

i'd let him crush my walls any day

• Locked thread