Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Shampoo posted:

You answered your own question. Government loves blackberries A: because they invested in the BES back when it was The Thing and B: they hate hate hate change.

It's just like that vast number of companies that were still using Windows XP. Then Microsoft pulled to rug on them and gave them x number of months till XP would no longer be receiving security updates. That was a panic for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

WebDog posted:

I kind of miss the days of Nokia's devil may care insanity with their designs. If there was a niche, they attempted to capture it in any way.
Fold out keyboards, phones shaped like a leaf, mini-phones, phones that converted into mini music players or camcorders.

Who loves lights!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acBWxbqXEeI

This little rave machine even came with a "fun shell" which flashed LED messages when waved around.

First phone was the 3310 which was just a fantastic testament to well built design and then the "Navigator" slide phone which I still have sitting around and likely still works fantastically. The navigator had a great form factor actually and the usability was just super nice.

Its drat amazing just how much Apple killed Nokia post Iphone release considering Nokia was THE phone manufacturer for a solid decade. Had they jumped on board to the Android uprising from the get go instead of stubbornly trying to make Symbian a relevant OS they might have taken the spot that Samsung currently holds.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Nutsngum posted:

First phone was the 3310 which was just a fantastic testament to well built design and then the "Navigator" slide phone which I still have sitting around and likely still works fantastically. The navigator had a great form factor actually and the usability was just super nice.

Its drat amazing just how much Apple killed Nokia post Iphone release considering Nokia was THE phone manufacturer for a solid decade. Had they jumped on board to the Android uprising from the get go instead of stubbornly trying to make Symbian a relevant OS they might have taken the spot that Samsung currently holds.

Yeah, but Android was Not Invented Here™.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Instant Sunrise posted:

Yeah, but Android was Not Invented Here™.

They also had Maemo Smart Phone OS which was supposed to be pretty good so they killed it. They decided their future lie with Windows Mobile or whatever the MS OS is for phones, thanks to the new CEO.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

flosofl posted:

They also had Maemo Smart Phone OS which was supposed to be pretty good so they killed it. They decided their future lie with Windows Mobile or whatever the MS OS is for phones, thanks to the new CEO.
Maemo was pretty cool. But suffered from your typical open-source development balagan.

It's called Tizen now. Or Sailfish. Or Nemo Mobile.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If I remember correctly, my first phone was a silver Motorola Razr back in 2006 or 2007 when I was a freshman or sophomore in high school. After it ran through the washing machine, I got a MetroPCS Huawei M750 around late 2008 or early 2009? It was my first touchscreen device (accompanied by an iPod Classic for music) and within about two years the touchscreen and buttons had broken until the phone was nearly useless....through regular use. In the spring of 2011 I got my first iPhone and never looked back.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Early smartphones were so odd sometimes. I had a HTC Windows Phone 6 that was pretty cool for the time - but it didn't have a headphone jack. Instead you had to plug in an adapter.

It was a brick of a phone, putting in a headphone jack wouldn't have added any bulk or even extra cost. The only other phone since then that I've seen without a headphone jack was that WebOS phone that was literally too small to even have microUSB.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Jeez I feel like I missed out growing up. My first cell phone I got when I was... 18? 19? and it was a Razr V3. As soon as it broke I bought an iPhone and have had one since the 3GS, aside from a year where I made the very poor choice of getting a Nexus 5.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

robodex posted:

Jeez I feel like I missed out growing up. My first cell phone I got when I was... 18? 19? and it was a Razr V3. As soon as it broke I bought an iPhone and have had one since the 3GS, aside from a year where I made the very poor choice of getting a Nexus 5.

I think mine was the Razr V3i, going by pictures.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
My first phone which I got when I was 15 I only knew one other kid my age with a mobile (a Nokia 6110) and a handful that had pagers.

Other pre-iPhone era phones I had were:
- Nokia 3310
- Nokia 8310
- Sony Ericsson T68i (First colour mobile)
- Nokia 7210
- Samsung C100
- LG U8120 (First phone to be launched on the 3 network in the UK, it was garbage as was the network, only had it for a week)
- Nokia 6230
- Motorola V635
- Motorola KRZR K1

beato has a new favorite as of 22:51 on Aug 5, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've probably had so few phones because I didn't become old enough to be trusted with one until about a year before the first generation iPhone was announced. I went through high school with the same styles of cell phone everyone but the richest kids had, and basically right after I graduated smartphones became the new standard.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

robodex posted:

...aside from a year where I made the very poor choice of getting a Nexus 5.

...should've waited...

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Used to rock this bad boy for a little while mid last decade:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Last Chance posted:

I remember those mall kiosks that were nothing but 100s of faceplates for this model.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
huh... its like the thread devoted to several closets in my house... and pgabz is in here too? :swoon:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Lincoln posted:

...should've waited...

I want a phone that won't die on me after four years, fucker.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

sinking belle posted:

I want more phone.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

sinking belle posted:

Eh, any phone I'm likely to buy in four years will be so much better than what I've got now that it'll be hard to get too upset about needing a replacement.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

This stupid piece of poo poo.

I'll never understand why they were so popular for a brief time. Cheap trash plastic, that idiotic antenna design that broke off within weeks.

Back around 2000 I was working for a cell company down in Florida doing equipment installs, a few guys had these. One day at a picnic type deal for everyone I saw a guy drop his dumb startac from waist-height onto a concrete floor, the thing practically exploded into components and plastic shards. Meanwhile I dropped my Ericsson brick once, and all that happened is the battery fell off.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Samizdata posted:

I want more phone.

"The LCD screen that burns twice as bright burns half as long" :v:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Last Chance posted:

This was my first phone. My mother handed it down when she upgraded. The thing was a beast and I had it for years, only replacing it when I wanted a phone with a camera and got a Nokia 3200. I really hated the downgrade in reception with switching to an internal antenna. Now I don't even give a poo poo about phone reception, I buy mobiles to be a pocket computer that can make calls if I absolutely have to.

cobalt impurity has a new favorite as of 03:31 on Aug 6, 2015

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Enos Shenk posted:

This stupid piece of poo poo.

I'll never understand why they were so popular for a brief time. Cheap trash plastic, that idiotic antenna design that broke off within weeks.

Back around 2000 I was working for a cell company down in Florida doing equipment installs, a few guys had these. One day at a picnic type deal for everyone I saw a guy drop his dumb startac from waist-height onto a concrete floor, the thing practically exploded into components and plastic shards. Meanwhile I dropped my Ericsson brick once, and all that happened is the battery fell off.

I had a MICROTac, which was somehow about 3x thicker than that one. I think I still have it in the original box. E: it had a 1-line screen

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

It may not have been a Motorola, but it was quite similar to this:

It plugged into the power outlet of your car.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

WebDog posted:

"The LCD screen that burns twice as bright burns half as long" :v:

I've... texted things... you people wouldn't believe.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I have no idea what the name of our first "family" cell phone was, I'll have to ask; all I know is we had a house phone and a cell phone for when we all went out together. We would have got this in like 1999-2000. At some point the 5 key fell off so if you needed to dial anything with that number you had to hope one of your fingernails was long enough to reach into the contact area- my sister and I, being children, were beneficial for this activity as our fingers were small enough to just reach to the contact, fingernail or no :allears:

The phone didn't have text capability so that wans't a problem.

I used to steal the family cell phone, hide somehwere in the house, and prank call our own house, with the cell phone. A true American badass, I was

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

RC and Moon Pie posted:

It may not have been a Motorola, but it was quite similar to this:

It plugged into the power outlet of your car.
My dad had a carphone that looked like this in 1996ish. He never used the handset, though, and I'm pretty sure he ditched it completely not too long after getting it. Instead there was a little handsfree microphone that clipped onto the handle above the driver side window, and call audio came through the car speakers. Come to think of it I guess he must have switched to using it exclusively for receiving calls.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

sweeperbravo posted:

I have no idea what the name of our first "family" cell phone was, I'll have to ask; all I know is we had a house phone and a cell phone for when we all went out together. We would have got this in like 1999-2000. At some point the 5 key fell off so if you needed to dial anything with that number you had to hope one of your fingernails was long enough to reach into the contact area- my sister and I, being children, were beneficial for this activity as our fingers were small enough to just reach to the contact, fingernail or no :allears:

The phone didn't have text capability so that wans't a problem.

I used to steal the family cell phone, hide somehwere in the house, and prank call our own house, with the cell phone. A true American badass, I was

I think my mom had a cell phone before I ever did, but I can't remember. I do remember that we both had Motorola Razr V3i's (mine silver and hers pink) when I got my first phone in high school. We still used our house phone all the way until maybe 2008, when it was replaced and we got a new number. From that point on, our house phone was only there as a technicality because it was mandatory for our internet service agreement and the number was never given to anyone. The battery would have been long dead if it were ever taken off the stand.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I love smart phones but some of them are so loving fragile. I dropped my LG Tribute about 3 feet and the screen shattered, it's only about 6 months old too.

The phone it replaced was a Samsung Galaxy Victory that also died of impact damage, but that was after multiple daily drops in the hospital for like two weeks. And the screen was still fine, something inside got jacked so calling no longer worked.

Before that I had a Samsung Intercept with the slide out keyboard which was similarly resilient.

Before that I had an old The V feature phone that flipped open to reveal the keyboard.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

sweeperbravo posted:

I mean I think I could get used to a touchscreen and would like having the option for, say, selecting items on the screen/playing games and poo poo. But texting is what I primarily use a phone for, so having to handicap myself on that for a while seems like a bummer.

There are smartphone cases that have slide-out keyboards. I don’t know if they’re any good, but it might be worth looking into.

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine
If we're talking old phones, I miss my old LG Chocolate slider phone sometimes. Total garbage by today's standards, and I think even when it was relevant, it was more about style than being about performance. I just really liked the slide out motion on it, and I beat the hell out of it without ever using a case and it never failed. Even had it fall out of my pocket in a bar parking lot one night, sit out on the ground totally exposed while it rained all night, and when I went back the next day, it was perfectly fine still.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

peter gabriel posted:

I didn't have a mobile from 2000 - about 2010 out of choice so I get what you are saying, i was basically forced into it because of work.
I do like the thing now though, although I don't use it for much more than calls / texts / Gear VR :v:

A solid majority of the time I use on mine is in the Awful app.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

beato posted:

My first phone which I got when I was 15 I only knew one other kid my age with a mobile (a Nokia 6110) and a handful that had pagers.

My similar Ericsson came with two batteries.

If you used the slim battery, it would only last half a day

If you used the thick battery, it would last until the end of the day. But it was too big to fit in your pocket.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

flosofl posted:

I remember those mall kiosks that were nothing but 100s of faceplates for this model.

Oh, they still exist, but now they just sell iPhone cases.

On that topic, how did people carry around those big old phones? I never really had a problem with flip phones because I went through a baggy pants phase, but now I even have trouble cramming an iPhone in an Otterbox into my somewhat-tight jeans.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Coffee And Pie posted:

On that topic, how did people carry around those big old phones? I never really had a problem with flip phones because I went through a baggy pants phase, but now I even have trouble cramming an iPhone in an Otterbox into my somewhat-tight jeans.

We had belt cases.

titties has a new favorite as of 11:25 on Aug 6, 2015

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

titties posted:

We had belt cases.

The horror.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

titties posted:

We had belt cases.

and people knew we were serious businessmen because of it

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Woolie Wool posted:

Did he ever do an A/T thread? :stonk:

Yeah, a long time ago. Well, to be fair it was more of a stories thread where I had crudely illustrated some tales in MSPaint about some of the raids I and colleagues had gone on. It's been a few years, maybe I should bust out my terrible drawing skills and do an update.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

WebDog posted:

I kind of miss the days of Nokia's devil may care insanity with their designs. If there was a niche, they attempted to capture it in any way.
Fold out keyboards, phones shaped like a leaf, mini-phones, phones that converted into mini music players or camcorders.

Who loves lights!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acBWxbqXEeI

This little rave machine even came with a "fun shell" which flashed LED messages when waved around.

:staredog: That phone is amazing.
It's all :woop::siren::toot: over just a phone call.

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.

themachine posted:

If we're talking old phones, I miss my old LG Chocolate slider phone sometimes. Total garbage by today's standards, and I think even when it was relevant, it was more about style than being about performance. I just really liked the slide out motion on it, and I beat the hell out of it without ever using a case and it never failed. Even had it fall out of my pocket in a bar parking lot one night, sit out on the ground totally exposed while it rained all night, and when I went back the next day, it was perfectly fine still.

A friend of mine had 2 of these, and slid both of them apart when opening them. Then she got a Motorola Juke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Coffee And Pie posted:

I haven't updated to an iPhone 6 for a number of reasons, but a main one is that it's loving huge. I don't exactly wear skinny jeans, but it's so clunky that I can basically fit an iPhone 6, its charger cord and my earbuds in one pocket at the same time and that's about it. An Otterbox just makes it even worse. The CEO at the company I work at has an iPhone 6S in an Otterbox (which I often have to fix or mess around with for him because he's extremely technologically impaired but also wants top of the line stuff as a status symbol because he grew up poor and married wealthy) and it's so unwieldy that it almost necessitates a belt clip or external pouch of some kind.