Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I've never even heard of chip and pin :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

JakeP posted:

Yeah America is way behind the curve on this for some reason

This was the single biggest inconvenience when I was in England. Everyone looked at my wife and I like we were neanderthals for trying to swipe all the time.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also gently caress target, 15 dollars for some poo poo plunger

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Rinse it off and take it back bb

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

imgay posted:

you gotta get the kit that is a plunger toilet brush and plunger/toiletbrush caddy

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

BottleKnight posted:

Paypass sounds very interesting but some of the local places here don't even have card readers so I pretty much only use cash

I haven't carried cash regularly in years. The only time I have it is when I am buying tickets to events from friends or going to a cafeteria that just takes cash but has an ATM right outside it. Other than that it's all bank or credit card.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Mozzafiato posted:

A reminder that CARNEVALE MAFIA is still open and looking for players up for a challenge.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

imgay posted:

don't go to target just for regular grocery/utility shopping, that place charges way more for 'quality'

Asiina posted:

I haven't carried cash regularly in years. The only time I have it is when I am buying tickets to events from friends or going to a cafeteria that just takes cash but has an ATM right outside it. Other than that it's all bank or credit card.

Yeah I get that it's convenient, it's half because card reader availability is wonky and half because I'm terrified of the scenario when my card won't work. It's impossible for cash to not work!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I hate carrying cash because our money is too slippery and can very easily fly right out of your pockets. Cards don't do that. It's easier to carry 1 card than a bunch of cash.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I very rarely carry cash, but there is a farmers market near my office every thursday, where you either need cash, or to use your card to buy farmers market bux, so I just hit up an ATM before I go

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Mar 27, 2020

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Guess who finally finished writing Persona mafia? :toot:

Thread'll go up Friday, I think

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I used to keep cash in my wallet, but then I stopped bothering because I'd inevitably end up with coins that I don't want to carry. So then it was just a wallet with cards in it. And now I just keep my wallet in my bag and only take a card out if I intend to buy something when I walk out of the office without my bag. On weekends when I wear jeans I'll take my wallet though. If you want to know any pointless trivia from my daily life, just ask :)

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Amoeba102 posted:

I used to keep cash in my wallet, but then I stopped bothering because I'd inevitably end up with coins that I don't want to carry. So then it was just a wallet with cards in it. And now I just keep my wallet in my bag and only take a card out if I intend to buy something when I walk out of the office without my bag. On weekends when I wear jeans I'll take my wallet though. If you want to know any pointless trivia from my daily life, just ask :)

Do you keep it behind a lock? I would never leave my wallet anywhere public unattended.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Refugees are stealing our jobs and our land and our God given white culture, not our wallets. So insensitive

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

In the office? No.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I don't consider these office pods public, I suppose. I know everyone in this office. If my lunch is safe in the fridge, then my wallet is safe at my desk in my bag.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Amoeba102 posted:

I don't consider these office pods public, I suppose. I know everyone in this office. If my lunch is safe in the fridge, then my wallet is safe at my desk in my bag.

that's fair. But just the idea of losing my wallet kind of stresses me out, so I guess I'm fairly overprotective.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
I leavemy phone and wallet on my desk all the time too. also I carry cash around. I live on the edge, what can I say?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

busb posted:

I leavemy phone and wallet on my desk all the time too. also I carry cash around. I live on the edge, what can I say?

I am the same way.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I'd probably change my attitude if I ever had anything stolen. When I was doing my PhD, we had a office shared by a couple of research groups. There was only about a dozen people in there - honours students, PhD students, postdocs. There were quite a few student offices in the building to accommodate everyone. But the building wasn't secure during the day and you could walk in and go to the office if you were so inclined. Of course it had to be this way as the lecture theaters, undergraduate labs and lecturer offices needed to be accessible to the undergraduate horde. Generally people got lax about locking the door when no one was in the room, and occasionally there would be thefts. I think there were even thefts from the labs at times.
But having not personally lost anything, I still just leave stuff unguarded. Helps that you can't walk in off the street to get to my office now. If anyone steals my lunch from the fridge, I'll get more security conscious at work.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I am watching a movie where chuck Norris and a dog play partner detectives trying to thwart a bunch of white supremacist terrorists.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

It's just that your lunch getting stolen is much, much smaller stakes.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Amoeba102 posted:

I'd probably change my attitude if I ever had anything stolen. When I was doing my PhD, we had a office shared by a couple of research groups. There was only about a dozen people in there - honours students, PhD students, postdocs. There were quite a few student offices in the building to accommodate everyone. But the building wasn't secure during the day and you could walk in and go to the office if you were so inclined. Of course it had to be this way as the lecture theaters, undergraduate labs and lecturer offices needed to be accessible to the undergraduate horde. Generally people got lax about locking the door when no one was in the room, and occasionally there would be thefts. I think there were even thefts from the labs at times.
But having not personally lost anything, I still just leave stuff unguarded. Helps that you can't walk in off the street to get to my office now. If anyone steals my lunch from the fridge, I'll get more security conscious at work.

I've had stuff stolen and been robbed, eh, I still do whatever.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Lunch is serious. There's nothing in my wallet of value to anyone else, and it'd just be an inconvenience replacing stuff. It's not like I haven't had to replace it before in my life, like when the bank decides to cancel my card as a precaution, or getting mugged and losing your wallet anyway. The only thing of value to be lost is the notes I keep in my wallet from my girlfriend.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I am never afraid no matter where I am or am walking because I am a skilled killing machine

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Lunch is serious business. The steaks have never been higher, one might say.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
everyone asks me if I wanna use paywave but the paywave thing is broken on my card and the bank wants $10 to replace it

not happening!

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

bowmore posted:

everyone asks me if I wanna use paywave but the paywave thing is broken on my card and the bank wants $10 to replace it

not happening!

Have you tried yelling at your bank? I yell at my bank to get what I want and it works sometimes.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Magnus Gallant posted:

I am watching a movie where chuck Norris and a dog play partner detectives trying to thwart a bunch of white supremacist terrorists.

Top Dog is a classic

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Guys the mafia champ Skype group unanimously agrees that pineapple is a good pizza topping

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Guys the mafia champ Skype group unanimously agrees that pineapple is a good pizza topping

add me. add me please

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

The best pizza topping is the blood of your foes.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Asiina posted:

I hate carrying cash because our money is too slippery and can very easily fly right out of your pockets. Cards don't do that. It's easier to carry 1 card than a bunch of cash.

drat, girl, quit being so greasy

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The people leaving wallets, phones and lunches around aren't really living on the edge.

I live on the edge. Right now the sliding glass door to my first floor apartment is unlocked and nobody is home except my cats. I do not live in a particularly great area. There are robberies and crime and gangs in my area. I have a 50" LED TV less than 2 feet from that sliding glass door.

No fucks given.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

Top Dog is a classic

It's pretty great.

It's a movie that's obviously for kids and yet the bad guys are present day nazis.

bowmore posted:

i'm not a yeller

it would take great effort to raise my voice to yelling volume

Type up what you want me to say to your bank. I'll call them and yell

Magnus Gallant fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 6, 2015

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

TMMadman posted:

The people leaving wallets, phones and lunches around aren't really living on the edge.

I live on the edge. Right now the sliding glass door to my first floor apartment is unlocked and nobody is home except my cats. I do not live in a particularly great area. There are robberies and crime and gangs in my area. I have a 50" LED TV less than 2 feet from that sliding glass door.

No fucks given.

*whistles while walking backwards, runs as soon as out of view*

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CCKeane posted:

Have you tried yelling at your bank? I yell at my bank to get what I want and it works sometimes.
i'm not a yeller

it would take great effort to raise my voice to yelling volume

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
I'm sorry to tell you but your cats escaped outside killed native wildlife, were shot then turned into a burger.

Also yer dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

TMMadman posted:

No fucks given.

Are the cats killer guard cats?