Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Warrior Princess posted:

Gtx 960s seem like unlikable cards here. Is it because of the price point, or do they suck for some other reason? Do they not suck when their price is 160$?

At $160 it'd be a fine card. It's just at $200 they're hard to recommend. AMD's 280x is faster with more VRAM at $180, and the 290 at $240 is like 30% faster for only a 20% increase in cost.

It's a bad for the money is all, there's nothing inherently wrong with the card, though 2 gigs of VRAM is getting on the low side it'll probably be fine for another year or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?
I was only asking because evga bstock 960s are 160$, and I haven't ordered my bstock 750ti just yet, so I'm thinking of getting the 960 instead.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Warrior Princess posted:

I was only asking because evga bstock 960s are 160$, and I haven't ordered my bstock 750ti just yet, so I'm thinking of getting the 960 instead.

Not a bad deal really. You don't have a great warranty with bstock which is why I haven't got a $240 970 for SLI, but for that price I'd go for it.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
The 159$ SSC ACX2.0+ is cool, certainly much more powerful.
Assuming one ~1080p display and being prepared to compromise on fps/excessive settings.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

sauer kraut posted:

The 159$ SSC ACX2.0+ is cool, certainly much more powerful.
Assuming one ~1080p display and being prepared to compromise on fps/excessive settings.

There's no compromising considering the original card intended for the build was a 750 ti :haw:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The 960 gets a lot more hate than it deserves given that everyone was expecting GTX970 levels of market disruption which didn't eventuate .

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The $130-140 GTX 950 might change that!!!!

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Warrior Princess posted:

There's no compromising considering the original card intended for the build was a 750 ti :haw:

Yes id also give that a hearty go for it.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Is 1400 boost clock a decent OC on a 970? Looking online everybody seems to be talking about crazy setups with overvolting and liquid cooling.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Crackbone posted:

Is 1400 boost clock a decent OC on a 970? Looking online everybody seems to be talking about crazy setups with overvolting and liquid cooling.

1400-1500 seems to be the norm. I'm a bit skeptical with some of the 1500+ claims being truly stable because unlike previous gens (in my experience) there isnt a narrow cutoff anymore. Like I can get my card up to 1500+ and play simpler games but ill get the odd crash or two when I push it until I back down quite a bit. I've had 5 maxwells so far with the same "issue" (would hardly call it that). I'm quite happy in the mid 1400's

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Trip Report

After Ebay/Paypal fees, shipping, rebates, and selling my Nvidia game code, the 290 -> 970 "upgrade" cost me $65.

At 1440p, with both cards overclocked (and only when overclocked), I get 12-19% higher framerates. Was it worth it? Probably not. Do I regret it? Eh, not really. At least the 970 will have higher resale when I upgrade to an 1170. :shobon:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 6, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Josh Lyman posted:

Trip Report

After Ebay/Paypal fees, shipping, rebates, and selling my Nvidia game code, the 290 -> 970 "upgrade" cost me $65.

At 1440p, with both cards overclocked (and only when overclocked), I get 12-19% higher framerates. Was it worth it? Probably not. Do I regret it? Eh, not really. At least the 970 will have higher resale when I upgrade to an 1170. :shobon:

Do you notice or care about a noise/temp difference? Curious how that plays out across 2 overclocked cards.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Do you notice or care about a noise/temp difference? Curious how that plays out across 2 overclocked cards.
Temp was never much of an issue. My room is on the ground floor so the ambient temp is always cool.

As for noise, at idle, my 120mm case fans are louder, and while gaming, the audio of the game pretty much drowned out the 290's fans.

I just found out about this though: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/descendentstudios/descent-underground/ In high school, I played Descent 3 every day for like a year (until I discovered Counter-Strike), so I'm super hyped. The 970 seems to do a fair bit better than the 290 on Unreal Engine 3 (Bioshock Infinite), so hopefully that'll translate to Unreal Engine 4.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I didn't realize that different gtx 970s have problems with SLI'ing . Bought a Zoya to go with my msi, welp it doesn't detect the SLI bridge. I'm fixing to see if DifferentSLI will work for me.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

1400-1500 seems to be the norm. I'm a bit skeptical with some of the 1500+ claims being truly stable because unlike previous gens (in my experience) there isnt a narrow cutoff anymore. Like I can get my card up to 1500+ and play simpler games but ill get the odd crash or two when I push it until I back down quite a bit. I've had 5 maxwells so far with the same "issue" (would hardly call it that). I'm quite happy in the mid 1400's

GPU Megathread - I've had 5 maxwells so far

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
My 970 report: I managed to get it to 1500+ on heavens benchmark but as soon as I booted Metro 2033 Redux my card said lmaoooooo nope and then clocked down to 503 mhz for some weird reason.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SlayVus posted:

I didn't realize that different gtx 970s have problems with SLI'ing . Bought a Zoya to go with my msi, welp it doesn't detect the SLI bridge. I'm fixing to see if DifferentSLI will work for me.

Well, DifferentSLI didn't work. Ran Firestrike and only got about 2000 point difference between SLI enabled and disabled. Looks like I'll be buying a MSI Gtx 970 100M if I want to go SLI.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I don't know if this was posted at some point, since it's not super new, but there's a tool someone's made that checks to see if it's possible to unlock the stream processors on recent AMD cards (yes, someone unlocked a Fury to Fury X). Some are lasered off, some are locked out with software.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

HalloKitty posted:

I don't know if this was posted at some point, since it's not super new, but there's a tool someone's made that checks to see if it's possible to unlock the stream processors on recent AMD cards (yes, someone unlocked a Fury to Fury X). Some are lasered off, some are locked out with software.

Haha I want to see how well the aftermarket air coolers do with an unlocked Fury. I still get this feeling there is something bogus about that water cooling

td4guy posted:

GPU Megathread - I've had 5 maxwells so far

I've owned... 18 keplers... lol :downs:

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 6, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Haha I want to see how well the aftermarket air coolers do with an unlocked Fury. I still get this feeling there is something bogus about that water cooling

The water cooling, if it doesn't have problems, is excellent. However, if you can unlock a Tri-X for a hundred bucks less and get literally the best air cooler ever put on a graphics card, it loses some appeal.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

HalloKitty posted:

Unlockable AMD/ATI cards are always nice. Apparently the tool can also check Hawaii's and some other cards. Might as well check out my 290 when I get home later - since it's not an XFX or Powercolor I'm not optimistic but what the hell.

edit: No x850pro/6950 repeat for me this time

future ghost fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 6, 2015

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Oh man this MSI 970 is so pretty I just want to touch it. 6 hours until I can go home and play with it.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Warrior Princess posted:

I think the biggest thing is the card being crippled by a 128-bit memory bus, even if it has decent memory. Only so much information you can push through that narrow little funnel, I'd be willing to guess it starts to suffer once you get to higher resolutions and enable eye candy.

Could be wrong though, can anyone confirm/deny?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Ozz81 posted:

I think the biggest thing is the card being crippled by a 128-bit memory bus, even if it has decent memory. Only so much information you can push through that narrow little funnel, I'd be willing to guess it starts to suffer once you get to higher resolutions and enable eye candy.

Could be wrong though, can anyone confirm/deny?

It beats or matches the 384bit Tahiti cards, plays Witcher 3 with max quality textures and HBAO+ perfectly fine, deny.
If you want higher resolutions, rock solid 60fps, eye candy like HairWorks or wank over SSGGMSSAA anti aliasing types, yeah you need to spend more than 160 dollars.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
They used a new color compression scheme and more cache than usual in Maxwell to bring the memory bandwidth requirements down.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is anyone else getting screen flickering / tearing on Catalyst 15.7 / 15.7.1? I was hoping my update to Win10 would fix it but sadly no. It will start at random (web browsing in Firefox is enough) and once it starts it seems to track mouse movement or graphical interaction. The only way to stop it is to sleep or reset the PC. Rolling back to 15.6 Beta fixed it but now that's not an option as 15.7.1 is the earliest Win10 driver.

I guess this is better than the overnight BSOD's I was getting on older drivers but THAT only happened when the machine was idle and the GPU failed to reset or something.

Next build I am going green team and never looking back. Somehow AMD's drivers are back to being trash despite that good streak they had going when they did monthly releases. WHQL doesn't even matter.

Sort of on the same note: are 6970's worth anything or should I have sold during the cryptocoin rush? It feels too new to send to recycling but eBay auctions looked too dead to be worth my time.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I'm not having any issues with the windows 10 drivers, no.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Wasn't happening to me on 15.7.1 on Windows 8.1 or on the 15.7.1 for Windows 10 drivers after upgrading.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
I bought a second unlocked 6950 for $60 a few months back so not really. 6970's are outperformed by 750ti's nowadays so they're not really in demand.

Haven't had any problems with 15.7 on Windows 7. Maybe try disabling ULPS with afterburner since it seems like low-2d clocks are causing problems?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Also I hate to jinx you by saying your card might be bad, but the 6970 is no spring chicken! What better excuse do you need to pick up a new GPU? :getin:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

cisco privilege posted:

I bought a second unlocked 6950 for $60 a few months back so not really. 6970's are outperformed by 750ti's nowadays so they're not really in demand.

Not in everything, to be fair to the old card (and my how good those unlocked 6950s were). It's more of a wash.

So basically the 6970 is a card now comparable to the lowest card we recommend for gaming, that consumes 100W more. It's not completely obsolete, but it's sadly definitely over the hill.

I certainly don't think it's "send to the recycler" material yet though, since it can definitely be handed down to someone making a build on the cheap, after all, it does provide that baseline of performance considered acceptable for a low-end gaming build these days. Holds up better than the NVIDIA cards of the time do now, due to their utter lack of VRAM.

vv Dunno, didn't mine on mine, passed it on now where it's still working fine, and it's not that loud, very quiet at idle, and I re-pasted it (MSI Twin Frozr III).

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Aug 7, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol if your flashed 6950 doesn't smell of burnt electronics and fan bearings because you mined 100+ bitcoins on it during the first year it was out :v:

But yeah, it depends on what you were doing with them and how lucky you got with it, thing's almost 5 years old now. One of mine crashes the driver as soon as it goes above 55 degrees (had to keep it at 52 or under for CFire), the other one still works fine up to 80 despite the abuse and runs just fine with the custom powercolor cooler it arrived with.

It can get *very* loud under load though, even with the custom cooler. I don't think anyone would want that thing today. A used GTX 750 Ti goes for 60e more than a used 6950 here (even less difference for a successfully flashed one), and that thing is basically silent, and yeah, consumes like 140W less for the same performance.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I had a 6950 for forever and only just learned you could unlock them in this thread a few weeks ago. After I'd replaced it. :smith:

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 7, 2015

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The flickering bug triggered overnight while I left my PC and it's been reported elsewhere so I doubt it's just my card.

Captain Yossarian posted:

Also I hate to jinx you by saying your card might be bad, but the 6970 is no spring chicken! What better excuse do you need to pick up a new GPU? :getin:
I've got an R290X and don't want to spend the ~$700 a 980 Ti would require for at least a couple months. The 6970 is sitting in a bin wrapped in plastic until I figure out what to do with it.

cisco privilege posted:

Haven't had any problems with 15.7 on Windows 7. Maybe try disabling ULPS with afterburner since it seems like low-2d clocks are causing problems?
The BSODs were definitely related to low power states but those have stopped. The flickering first happened when I was playing XCOM and I doubt even the 290X can start disabling itself in a UE3 game.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 7, 2015

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I was confused because you didn't mention the 290x in your original post, just the 6970! :) I will have to boot up xcom on my 290 and see what happens

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
It's definitely not just XCOM. When I sat down at the PC this morning the flickering was already going. It's happened when I've been scrolling through the forums in Firefox or playing Zuma's Revenge (old Popcap game I got for free on Origin). XCOM just made it happen quicker. When I rolled back to 15.6 beta I was able to play stuff like Dawn of War 2 and Space Marine maxed-out with no issues but haven't tried them since updating to Win10 / 15.7.1 yesterday. DoW2 will render at ~200fps if I don't Vsync it so it's not a heat or hardware issue, and if it was something to do with the display outputs I wouldn't expect the lines to span all three monitors.

I've sent four bug reports to AMD but no matter what gets done to fix this I'm buying Nvidia next. The funny part is that eight years ago I switched to the top-end 4000-series card over a texture bug Nvidia drivers had with loving Vampire: Bloodlines.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 7, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Somewhat-defective-but-not-quite GPUs tend to act up like that, it's rarely just the drivers' problem. I've had GTX 275s die three times in roughly the same error pattern with random drivers :psyboom:

Good luck with whatever next card you go with.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 7, 2015

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Found a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv-ccO3Y7SM

There are also a few support threads reporting the same issue with 15.7+. Unless everyone's cards went bad at the same time I don't think it's my hardware.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 7, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

welp.

Great OS and driver set launch, everyone.

edit: Also it basically happens with JUST Hawaii with multi monitor setups, what the gently caress? https://www.reddit.com/r/AdvancedMicroDevices/comments/3f435c/1571_display_corruption_has_evolved_windows_10_r9/

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Did win 10 actually make older games look sharper? I'm still playing through Witcher 1 and I swear the game looked better last night after updating to 10 and the newest Nvidia driver.