Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Initial impression of Titus Andronicus' The Most Lamentable Tragedy: It lacks a certain degree of desperation that The Monitor possessed and loses some of its impact. It's still pretty fun to listen to, though. Seems good overall and a lot better than Local Business. They will probably never top The Monitor and that's okay.

I believe you mean "THAT'S. O. KAY!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

I know everyone else already knows about her, but I really like Courtney Barnett's album.

Set the bar for the year, imo. Toss up between her and Sufjan for favourite album of 2015.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

emjayo posted:

Set the bar for the year, imo. Toss up between her and Sufjan for favourite album of 2015.

I didn't "get" the Sufjan album when it came out. I was a huge Illinoise fanboy when it came out while I was in HS but, when I listened to his new one it just sounded like flat acoustic stuff. This all changed when my grandmother died a few weeks back, Fourth of July just happened to come on the radio. I cried the rest of the way home, I never understood the song as a dialogue until then, and everything just clicked after that. Since then I've really been re-evaluating where I'm at with that album. Usually it's the music that articulates emotion in the way you cannot but, if you've never felt the emotion before I think it follows that the music will be lost or at least not felt in the same way. This was my first close family member loss (I'm 25, guess that makes me pretty lucky).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The new Sufjan record is great. I saw him perform last week at Newport Folk, and "Fourth of July" is even more haunting when the outro is five minutes of "we're all gonna die" set over building instrumentation. Also, having stood maybe only 20 feet away from him, I can say that Sufjan Stevens is quite possibly the most beautiful looking man on earth. I cannot believe that dude is 40 years old.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

exquisite tea posted:

The new Sufjan record is great. I saw him perform last week at Newport Folk, and "Fourth of July" is even more haunting when the outro is five minutes of "we're all gonna die" set over building instrumentation. Also, having stood maybe only 20 feet away from him, I can say that Sufjan Stevens is quite possibly the most beautiful looking man on earth. I cannot believe that dude is 40 years old.

Most men look better from 30-45 than at any other time, especially if they don't have hair loss.

Yeah, it's a great album for sure.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Also, having stood maybe only 20 feet away from him, I can say that Sufjan Stevens is quite possibly the most beautiful looking man on earth. I cannot believe that dude is 40 years old.

No kidding, and he was all jacked and tanned too.

Probably a Picture of Dorian Gray scenario.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Anonymous John posted:

No kidding, and he was all jacked and tanned too.

Probably a Picture of Dorian Gray scenario.
No wonder Illinoise gets worse every year.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I got tickets to see the Decemberists next month in Dallas! Super excited to see them. One of my favorite albums this year. Anyone been to a show of theirs?

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

jiffypop45 posted:

I got tickets to see the Decemberists next month in Dallas! Super excited to see them. One of my favorite albums this year. Anyone been to a show of theirs?

They're a lot of fun live. Interesting to watch and Colin's banter is really enjoyable. They're up there with Belle & Sebastian for shows that are more lively and fun than you would ever expect. Although still well below B&S because holy poo poo they are fun live.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I saw them after the King is Dead came out at a festival and they were a ton of fun. They weren't the headliner so it was a slightly abbreviated set and it was still light out so if they do any sort of light show normally we didn't get to see that. They closed out with the Mariners Revenge Song and even under those circumstances the theatricality they infused into the song was just fantastic. Ton of fun.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

jiffypop45 posted:

They were also at Newport Folk immediately following Sufjan. Just extremely talented and maybe one of the cleanest-sounding bands I've ever seen perform live. All of their instrumentation was so distinct and cool. Also a lot more down-to-earth and fun than you would expect, given the headiness of their music in general.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Is this is also the place for Jungle and their debut album Jungle?

God it is awesome, funky tunes straight from the seventies.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

detectivemonkey posted:

They're a lot of fun live. Interesting to watch and Colin's banter is really enjoyable. They're up there with Belle & Sebastian for shows that are more lively and fun than you would ever expect. Although still well below B&S because holy poo poo they are fun live.

I'd never imagined B&S to be fun to see live but I guess I am wrong!

Now the Decemberists might be the funnest show I've ever been to. Saw them just as Picaresque came out and hearing most of those songs live was amazing, and I was surprised to hear they still close out with Mariner's Revenge but not really because it's an incredible ride.

Also, the new Tame Impala album may be one of my favorites of the decade, even maybe the last 15 years. Fitting that I'm dealing with a breakup but my friends and I all absolutely love it.

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011

BonoMan posted:

Helluva nerve titling a track "Born Slippy."

HELLUVA NERVE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTFrCbQGyvM

really really digging this album, sideboob is a great track as are the two (assumed) singles born slippy and losing touch.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Lblitzer posted:

I'd never imagined B&S to be fun to see live but I guess I am wrong!

Now the Decemberists might be the funnest show I've ever been to. Saw them just as Picaresque came out and hearing most of those songs live was amazing, and I was surprised to hear they still close out with Mariner's Revenge but not really because it's an incredible ride.

Also, the new Tame Impala album may be one of my favorites of the decade, even maybe the last 15 years. Fitting that I'm dealing with a breakup but my friends and I all absolutely love it.

Here's a ridiculously poorly shot set from Coachella https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrdxgr-HnMo. Judging by the angle I bet you can see my hands somewhere in there. You can also see in this one why Rolling Stone called them the Best Comedy Act. They actually changed their set a lot for the following weekend (I watched it on tv) which I thought was cool. No one else I saw did that.

My husband got to see The Decemberists right after they released The Hazards of Love and I think they did the album and then a few other songs. That's one of those "if I could travel back in time" sets I'd want to see.

For actual content is everyone in love with Spotify's new Discover playlist because I 100% am.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The Spotify discover thing seems to suggest songs to me that I have on published playlists. I like the idea of it but it doesn't appear to be working right for me exactly.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010

turnip kid posted:

Gwenno (she was in The Pipettes, even after they turned into a different group) just re-released her album Y Dydd Olaf on Heavenly Recordings. It originally came out at the end of 2014 on a small Welsh label called Peski. The album is insanely awesome: atmospheric, Krautrocky, and entirely sung in Welsh--I think the final song might actually be in Cornish--without a single trace of the group that made her "famous." That's a good thing. I never liked The Pipettes. You'd never know she was in The Pipettes if I hadn't told you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CldPv3-VHmM

I can't get over how good it is. Give it a shot. Almost everyone I've suggested it to loves it.

Yeah, this is real good. Thanks for the suggestion! Reminds me a bunch of Stereolab.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Oh hai there, so Brent Knopf and Matt Berninger have teamed up to do an album under the name EL VY

http://pitchfork.com/news/60641-the-nationals-matt-berninger-and-menomenas-brent-knopf-announce-new-album-and-tour-as-el-vy/

I think Ramona Falls is the most underrated "band" (yeah I know it's just Knopf) of the past 5+ years so I'm hella excited for this.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

detectivemonkey posted:

Here's a ridiculously poorly shot set from Coachella https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrdxgr-HnMo. Judging by the angle I bet you can see my hands somewhere in there. You can also see in this one why Rolling Stone called them the Best Comedy Act. They actually changed their set a lot for the following weekend (I watched it on tv) which I thought was cool. No one else I saw did that.

My husband got to see The Decemberists right after they released The Hazards of Love and I think they did the album and then a few other songs. That's one of those "if I could travel back in time" sets I'd want to see.

For actual content is everyone in love with Spotify's new Discover playlist because I 100% am.

This still breaks my heart every time I remember it. They were playing Royal Oak for Hazards and that tour was a 2 hour set. They'd play Hazards in its entirety, complete with Laura Marling and then play hits for an hour after. My friend and I though the show was on a Wednesday, he calls me on my lunch break and tells me the show was actually the night before. :(

Saw them twice on the King is Dead tour though, they second time they played at the Interlochen Music Camp and halfway through Margaret on the Taiga, they started swapping instruments with the kids and let them jam out for 3-4 minutes before coming back in to wrap it all up.

I was disappointed to not see them this time around, but I'm buried rear end deep in Iowa and it would have been a $300+ endeavor to see them.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

detectivemonkey posted:

Not that anyone was asking for further evidence of this, but I saw B&S a month or two ago and I just want to say that it was one of the best shows I've seen in years. The band has so much chemistry and it was like watching a group of friends hanging out and playing great music. Lots of crowd interaction too.

Hey, there's a new Battles album coming out soon! You're excited too, right?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
In wow-this-is-actually-a-thing-and-it-actually-happened news, The Nevermen — a collab between Mike Patton, Tunde Adebimpe and Doseone (Subtle, Themselves, 13&God) — are releasing an LP later this year after like seven years of work.

Single "Tough Towns" in link: http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/08/mike-patton-tunde-adebimpe-doseone-the-nevermen/

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 5, 2015

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
so I saw an article today saying that Ezra Furman is playing a show near me today, and I hadn't heard of him before so I decided to check him out, and uh his newest album totally owns??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9vXu_IbTao

it's been a while since I've been this blown away from someone who was completely off my radar, dude has a loving voice. he also did a great LCD Soundsystem cover: https://soundcloud.com/bella-union/ezra-furman-i-can-change-lcd-soundsystem-cover/s-c0kVk

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I rested on my laurels too long - about two days - and now the CHVRCHES shows are sold out. :smith:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
would like to update my previous post with a note that Ezra Furman completely totally owns live and you should see him if you get the chance

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
"Times Square," the third song to be released from the new Destroyer LP out later this month: https://soundcloud.com/destroyerband/times-square

Still using that sax, still killing it

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Mt. Modular posted:

Not that anyone was asking for further evidence of this, but I saw B&S a month or two ago and I just want to say that it was one of the best shows I've seen in years. The band has so much chemistry and it was like watching a group of friends hanging out and playing great music. Lots of crowd interaction too.

Thirding Belle and Sebastian being a great live show. I brought a friend along to a concert in April who wasn't necessarily of fan of theirs and they had a great time.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Real Name Grover posted:

"Times Square," the third song to be released from the new Destroyer LP out later this month: https://soundcloud.com/destroyerband/times-square

Still using that sax, still killing it

Thanks for this... hadn't heard of this guy. Loving it so far!

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005

BonoMan posted:

Thanks for this... hadn't heard of this guy. Loving it so far!

If you like that, check out their album 'Kaputt'. It's pretty spectacular.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Also, Deerhunter has a countdown on its website: http://deerhuntermusic.com/

:ninja:

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

Real Name Grover posted:

Also, Deerhunter has a countdown on its website: http://deerhuntermusic.com/

:ninja:

I thought Deerhunter were finished? This is exciting.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I don't recall them ever saying as such, but yeah, new LP, Fading Frontier, out Oct. 16.

The awfully catchy "Snakeskin:" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG6jk5Q90DA

cmerepaul
Nov 28, 2005
That's not chapstick!

Lblitzer posted:

Half the reason I love this song is because it's a seven and a half minute adventure, so trimming it way down is a bummer, but the video is cool.
http://www.vevo.com/watch/AUUV71500129

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

Real Name Grover posted:

I don't recall them ever saying as such, but yeah, new LP, Fading Frontier, out Oct. 16.

The awfully catchy "Snakeskin:" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG6jk5Q90DA

Think I just had it in my head as I went to an atp thing a few years ago where over a weekend they played each of their albums back to front.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Hi I don't venture in here much but is anyone talking at all about Joanna Newsom's new track? I doubt it's gonna sway any new listeners but it's a hell of a song with the kind of lyrical complexity you expect from her more long-form songs packed into a sweet little ditty. Her voice is a little less thin than in the last album also, liking how it's changing for the better. Also, that climax at the end, my goodness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky9Ro9pP2gc

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 19, 2015

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Since summer is winding down and all the anime conventions are done I can get back to concerts! Already super excited about my schedule this fall so far.

8-29 Belle and Sebastian
10-2 Decemberists
11-5 CHVRCHES
11-7 Health

A few other non indie artists as well but, those are the relevant ones here.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm missing some shows I badly wanted to see in Sept when I'm out of town, but at the end of the month I'm seeing The Fratellis, then in November I have Dear Rouge and Rah Rah happening.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I was considering the Dear Rouge show myself since I like a few of their songs, but just now checking out Rah Rah and thinking this should be an easy $12 decision.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

hope and vaseline posted:

Hi I don't venture in here much but is anyone talking at all about Joanna Newsom's new track? I doubt it's gonna sway any new listeners but it's a hell of a song with the kind of lyrical complexity you expect from her more long-form songs packed into a sweet little ditty. Her voice is a little less thin than in the last album also, liking how it's changing for the better. Also, that climax at the end, my goodness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky9Ro9pP2gc

Wow, that's fairly disappointing actually. Have One On Me was great. :(

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Wow, that's fairly disappointing actually. Have One On Me was great. :(

Great at being garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

T Bowl posted:

Great at being garbage.

Is this coming from the position of someone who just doesn't like JN or did you not like the direction? There's at least 6 or 7 uncontroversially amazing songs on there. Less obtuse, more beautiful, all sorts of thematic tangles - it's seriously amazing and dwarfs the first two records.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 20, 2015