Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Also Jasper seems like the only really explicit fully functional war gem we've seen and their summon does explicitly armor their gem while the weapon they actually use is just axes and stuff.

We don't actually know if the gem we saw in Pearl's projection was a Jasper. Maybe it was a different kind of gem whose weapon is an axe. The Jasper we've seen didn't use any weapon apart from her crash helmet (not counting the thing that disrupted gem bodies).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Why not counting the thing that disrupted gem bodies? It's a weapon, she used it.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
What are these Steven bombs you people keep talking about?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

WarpedNaba posted:

When Steven jumps into Garnet's hair, he occasionally yells "STEVENBOMB!"
Every time he does this jump is a pretty good marking point for the viewer.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cptn_dr posted:

In the past 4 days I have watched every episode of Steven Universe

drat this show is good. And very sad and gay.

I'm kind of at a loss now that I don't have any more episodes to watch.

You're not the only one :( I saw someone unironically call the show SJW feminazi propaganda so I knew I had to watch it. Gotta say it's pretty amazing, but I'm staying away from the fanart and such because I just know people are going to be gross about it.

I didn't know about the game however so at least I got that to occupy me for some days.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

Why not counting the thing that disrupted gem bodies? It's a weapon, she used it.

It's more a tool than a weapon. You can't use it to damage anything other than gems, and when it came to actual fighting it wasn't that useful. I mean I guess you could call it a weapon, it just didn't look like one to me.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

TwoPair posted:

Didn't have enough cuts to weird not-even-in-the-show imagery and nigh-unreadable split second white on black text. The creators of Regular Show know how to parody Evangelion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_OC-RAm7Qs

Okay, this has been driving me nuts: what are they wearing for the last duck formations, with the capes and hats? I know that has to be a reference to something, but I'll be damned if I know what.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

DoctorX posted:

It's more a tool than a weapon. You can't use it to damage anything other than gems, and when it came to actual fighting it wasn't that useful. I mean I guess you could call it a weapon, it just didn't look like one to me.

It puts a gem back into their stone where they can't really fight back. The only reason Ruby and/or Sapphire didn't get crushed to dust is because Jasper wanted to take prisoners. If they'd kept the zapper/find another they could basically 1HKO everything they've come across.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Your Computer posted:

You're not the only one :( I saw someone unironically call the show SJW feminazi propaganda so I knew I had to watch it. Gotta say it's pretty amazing, but I'm staying away from the fanart and such because I just know people are going to be gross about it.

There is an incredible pile of fan-art out there (including comics, animations, random craft projects, etc), and I'd say that there's more awesome art than mediocre art or tasteless art. Skimming through this thread is not a bad way to see a bunch of pretty good art that people have found and shared. Tumblr, of course, depends on who you're following -- just searching for tags can give really mixed results. If no one beats me to it, I'll look into throwing together a list of people (tumblr accounts, etc) who've been sources of lots of good stuff.

Somebody really should put together a danbooru style art collection for SU fanart... the trick is that's a bunch of work if you want it to not suck (since you really want to obsessively tag everything correctly, be sure to tag artists and original sites, etc, too). There's got to be thousands of pieces out there...

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Cartoon Network has a few times now decided to air the show 1 episode per night for a week, from Monday-Friday. There was one leading up to the season 1 finale, and it was so popular that they did two more over the past couple of months.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

T-man posted:

It puts a gem back into their stone where they can't really fight back. The only reason Ruby and/or Sapphire didn't get crushed to dust is because Jasper wanted to take prisoners. If they'd kept the zapper/find another they could basically 1HKO everything they've come across.

Once she knew what it was, Garnet was able to dodge it pretty easily. It's close range only and can be stolen or permanently broken, none of which apply to Gem weapons (Garnet can shoot her fists like rockets). Useful with the element of surprise or in a crowded situation like a riot where your opponent can't move around much. Basically a Gem stun gun, which is sort of what it looks like.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

DoctorX posted:

It's a non-lethal weapon for use on gems.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

drat that's pretty amazing

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

IronicDongz posted:

It's a non-lethal weapon for use on gems.

Can a gem take lethal damage? Broken gems will try to regenerate, like in Secret Team and Keeping it Together. Smaller fragments still have a consciousness, which is what lead to the Frybo incident. Even if you grind them to a powder you end up with a malevolent pigment that burns into evil smoke. I don't think gems can die and it's freaking me out.

Was this Rose's true achievement? Depending on how this hybrid child adventure pans out, Rose Quartz may be the only gem to attain true death.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Pearl says "we can be hurt, and die" though. Guess it's what you consider "death" to be.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Quinton posted:

There is an incredible pile of fan-art out there (including comics, animations, random craft projects, etc), and I'd say that there's more awesome art than mediocre art or tasteless art. Skimming through this thread is not a bad way to see a bunch of pretty good art that people have found and shared. Tumblr, of course, depends on who you're following -- just searching for tags can give really mixed results. If no one beats me to it, I'll look into throwing together a list of people (tumblr accounts, etc) who've been sources of lots of good stuff.

Somebody really should put together a danbooru style art collection for SU fanart... the trick is that's a bunch of work if you want it to not suck (since you really want to obsessively tag everything correctly, be sure to tag artists and original sites, etc, too). There's got to be thousands of pieces out there...

I don't even use tumblr, but I'd love a list of confirmed good fan stuff. I'm also looking through the thread since I've got 300 unread pages so I guess I'm occupied for a while.

I just downloaded the game, it's like a shameless Paper Mario ripoff and I'm loving it :swoon:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

YggiDee posted:

Can a gem take lethal damage? Broken gems will try to regenerate, like in Secret Team and Keeping it Together. Smaller fragments still have a consciousness, which is what lead to the Frybo incident. Even if you grind them to a powder you end up with a malevolent pigment that burns into evil smoke. I don't think gems can die and it's freaking me out.

Was this Rose's true achievement? Depending on how this hybrid child adventure pans out, Rose Quartz may be the only gem to attain true death.
Gem shards may have a form of consciousness but it's not the same as the original. It's like if a human died and then their limbs all fell off and turned into different animals.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

IronicDongz posted:

Gem shards may have a form of consciousness but it's not the same as the original. It's like if a human died and then their limbs all fell off and turned into different animals.

I think it's more like a super radical lobectomy. Sure, you're alive, and can move around, but your entire frontal cortex has been scraped away. leaving a brainstem, a corpus callosum, and a machine that forces you to fight for somebody else. Seems pretty dead to me.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think fragmenting a gem would be "death" to the Gem it belonged to as we know it. Their consciousness would be destroyed, with the shards having their own minds that are very underdeveloped. We did see with the Cluster that they'll attempt to form something humanoid as a natural state even when made up of fragments and that particular monster had so many gem bits that it may have actually included almost totally complete individuals mashed together. It may be possible for a totally shattered gem to be magically healed and basically return that Gem to life.

That might be the culmination of Steven's healing powers: literally resurrecting dead Gems. And knowing Steven Universe and how much Rebecca Sugar wants to hurt us, it might be shown by having him resurrecting one of the Crystal Gems.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

chitoryu12 posted:

it might be shown by having him resurrecting one of the Crystal Gems.

And that Crystal Gem will be Pearl.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
If you're pondering on a possible plot development that would max out the sad and/or the gay, it's gonna happen to Pearl.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

chitoryu12 posted:

I think fragmenting a gem would be "death" to the Gem it belonged to as we know it. Their consciousness would be destroyed, with the shards having their own minds that are very underdeveloped. We did see with the Cluster that they'll attempt to form something humanoid as a natural state even when made up of fragments and that particular monster had so many gem bits that it may have actually included almost totally complete individuals mashed together. It may be possible for a totally shattered gem to be magically healed and basically return that Gem to life.

That might be the culmination of Steven's healing powers: literally resurrecting dead Gems. And knowing Steven Universe and how much Rebecca Sugar wants to hurt us, it might be shown by having him resurrecting one of the Crystal Gems.

I still kinda want to see Steven's potential healing/corruption curing abilities be used on the Fusion Thing and heal it into a new unified Gem, cause can you imagine everyone's reaction to such a thing, especially the other Crystal Gems' and Homeworld's, it'd be literally game changing for both sides

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

source, and bonus joke

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lion does not appreciate being used as a ladder.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Was 'Love like you' ever released as a full song? It's such a lovely little melody.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Was 'Love like you' ever released as a full song? It's such a lovely little melody.

Sort of? Dunno if this is the real deal or a fan mock-up.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Sort of? Dunno if this is the real deal or a fan mock-up.

That sounds like it. Actually that must be it just hacked together from all the outros.

The non-lyrics version is there though
https://soundcloud.com/aivisura/steven-universe-love-like-you

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

WarpedNaba posted:

If I remember right, 'Love Like You' was written by Rebecca for her brother Steven while they were kids. It's entirely possible that the version we hear *is* the full song.

Off topic, but has there been any explanation from CN about the absolute dearth of merchandise for the show? Not that I want the show selling out, but a lot of promising shows got canned due to difficulties with toy sales :shrug:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Triskelli posted:

If I remember right, 'Love Like You' was written by Rebecca for her brother Steven while they were kids. It's entirely possible that the version we hear *is* the full song.

Off topic, but has there been any explanation from CN about the absolute dearth of merchandise for the show? Not that I want the show selling out, but a lot of promising shows got canned due to difficulties with toy sales :shrug:

Um I want the show selling out. Give me toys

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Macaluso posted:

Um I want the show selling out. Give me toys

Seriously, make Garnet's gauntlets out of these:

And it'd be like printing money.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Maybe they can't work out if this show is for boys or girls and they're too confused about who to make the toys for.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Nephthys posted:

Maybe they can't work out if this show is for boys or girls and they're too confused about who to make the toys for.

Marketing is probably in like the top 3 worst things about late stage capitalism :v:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Wouldn't that be easiest to approach in a general neutral fashion? Package the toys in the show's typical colors, don't refer to them as dolls or action figures, show commercials with both boys and girls playing with them? Granted, I'm not in advertising as a profession and apparently things get rather insane with benefit risk scenarios in it.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Ramos posted:

Wouldn't that be easiest to approach in a general neutral fashion? Package the toys in the show's typical colors, don't refer to them as dolls or action figures, show commercials with both boys and girls playing with them? Granted, I'm not in advertising as a profession and apparently things get rather insane with benefit risk scenarios in it.

You are 100% correct but toy marketing is a department all about the gender divisions. There is no such thing as a gender neutral toy. Toys come in Boy and Pink.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ramos posted:

And not buy into bullshit "traditional" gender roles? You just gave every marketing department and toy store manager within a hundred miles an aneurysm.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Ramos posted:

I'm not in advertising as a profession and apparently things get rather insane

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I don't think one toy can buck the whole social construct of gendered toys. I think steven universe could put out all the toys it wants in a gender neutral way and still have a culture totally poisoned by the idea it doesn't work that way, making it a hard sell to both kids and parents that expect it to be boys and pink.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Yeah, I gather that there are elements in the massive supply chain separating a kid's show from a toyline that just completely shut down when they hear that girls make up part of the show's demo.

Any merch that does make it out of the gate will def. be mobbed with cash, though.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Might be the nitrous talking, but this conversation makes me want to start making gauntlets and sneaking them into the Boy and Pink aisles near me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Triskelli posted:

Might be the nitrous talking, but this conversation makes me want to start making gauntlets and sneaking them into the Boy and Pink aisles near me.

That sounds like an awesome way to get arrested.

• Locked thread