Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Mescal posted:

There are great and are there more

Some

and random stories

quote:

"Hartford Herald," March 13, 1901:

Huntington, W. Va. March 7.--Berry Crowder, a well-to-do citizen of Hams branch in Boone county, is suffering greatly to-day from the effects of a whipping administered to him yesterday by his invalid wife, who he supposed was in the last stages of galloping consumption. Mrs. Crowder has been ill for some months with a lung infection. Her condition at times has been extremely critical. When her husband took a big load of produce to Charleston Saturday he took on the usual number of "high balls" while in the city, and while in a happy mood imagined that it would be a good plan to secure a coffin for his wife, whose death he expected at any time, and take it home, where it would be handy if his diagnosis of the case proved to be correct. His friends endeavored to induce him to abandon the idea, but a $40 coffin was stored in Crowder's wagon before he started home. When he reached there and the wife heard of his action, there was such a change in her condition that the entire neighborhood was attracted to the scene. The mild consumptive was suddenly transformed. Grasping a billet of wood, she felled her man with one blow and with an ax demolished the coffin. Crowder got more attention from her and the club she carried, and is said to be in a serious condition, while the woman is yet on the war path for a female who she claims the husband has been paying too much attention to and praying for her death.

quote:

"Hartford Herald," March 13, 1901:

Milwaukee, Wis., Mch. 7.--Edith Wagner, of Waukesha, has been married by a rural Justice of the Peace near Binghampton, New York, to her maltese cat. Her family has just been advised of the extraordinary wedding.

Miss Wagoner is a believer in the transmigration of souls. Some years ago she was engaged to be married to a young man named Edward Hamlin but before the wedding day arrived, he died of typhoid fever. On his death-bed Hamlin told his sweetheart that he knew he was going to die, but that he would always be near her.

Not long after his death a fine maltese cat appeared at her home and remained there and Miss Wagoner was convinced that the soul of her lover dwelt in this feline. Some time ago she went to New York, and while in Binghampton decided to marry her pet.

She took out a license in due form, giving a name that served for the cat, but when she tried to arrange for the performance of the ceremony, difficulties were encountered. Several ministers positively refused to officiate, and she finally went into the country, where she succeeded in finding a Justice of the Peace, who performed some sort of a marriage rite.

Miss Wagoner's friends are trying to persuade her to return home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Wheat Loaf posted:

Félix Faure.

:v:

Anyway, here's the picture I wanted to post earlier - the Grauniad gets pretty dark:

Go on, Nick. Redeem yourself.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Cacafuego posted:

So, whats the French remedy?

Pennyroyal, i.e. an abortifacient.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Whatev posted:

Go on, Nick. Redeem yourself.

If that's Holborn the cannibals should take care of things.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Look how satisfied the men in the background are. It's raining :smug:

"You know what would make this better Chauncy?"
"What's that Edgar?"
"If they were covered in mud."
"...If you keep talking like that, I'm going to need a French Remedy in the near future."

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.

CzarChasm posted:

Look how satisfied the men in the background are. It's raining :smug:

"You know what would make this better Chauncy?"
"What's that Edgar?"
"If they were covered in mud."
"...If you keep talking like that, I'm going to need a French Remedy in the near future."

Men will forever enjoy a good cat fight. Especially when mud, or jello is involved. Really any sort of liquidy substance

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Poor sea monster's all confused about what the gently caress is going on. He's just hanging with his buddy in the background and all of a sudden a bunch of dudes start shooting at him. Doesn't even look mad, just hurt.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
I think there's a pattern here...

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

"The world's gone to hell in a handbasket, Salty Ned."

"Aye. After a long day, all a nautical man wants is a nice pipe and a turn at the cabin boy's sweet rump. Next, they'll be takin' away rum and the lash..."

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
The most :australia: news item ever?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
These are great!

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
19th and early 20th century women were NOT TO BE hosed WITH

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Those totally rule, especially with the ladies kicking rear end and capping fools. Reminds me of Kate Beaton's lady cyclists comic.

edit: http://harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=331

davidspackage has a new favorite as of 21:46 on Aug 4, 2015

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Man, I feel sorry for poor Corporal Nobbs and Sergeant Colon in the foreground, there. That lady looks like she knows The Way of Mrs. Cosmopilite.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I almost wish reality could match these wonderful things

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Nckdictator posted:

19th Century tabloid "Illustrated Police News" had some pretty amazing headlines.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

This picture is one of the best things the internet has ever given me:

Apparently, this is what happens if you give women the right to vote :derp:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Uh uh. I know what you're thinking. "Did she fire one shot or zero?" Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .36 caliber, the most powerful ladies' gun in the world and would blow your head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Crow Jane posted:

Free lunch ? And hot Maud and Eliza for only 15c ? I guess I'll have to pack up and move to a country where woman can vote.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Istari posted:

Free lunch ? And hot Maud and Eliza for only 15c ? I guess I'll have to pack up and move to a country where woman can vote.

I think hot Maud and Eliza are supposed to be drinks, like the Marguerite Collins.

And yeah that picture is the best. Probably my favorite is the little kids trying to convince their mother to come home (because women will stop loving their children if you let them vote), but it's a close race.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Burkion posted:

I almost wish reality could match these wonderful things

Actually 'the Suffragette who knew Jiu-Jitsu' was real.

:vince:

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

quote:

Journalists coined the term "suffrajitsu" - a portmanteau of "suffragette" and "jiujitsu" - to describe their techniques of self-defence, sabotage and subterfuge.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pththya-lyi posted:

And yeah that picture is the best. Probably my favorite is the little kids trying to convince their mother to come home (because women will stop loving their children if you let them vote), but it's a close race.
Nah that one's just the American, we bring our kids to the bar all the time.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Crow Jane posted:

The question at the bottom was intended to be rhetorical, right? Because it strikes me as perfectly cromulent.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

The guy behind the barrel in the bottom right is killing me.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Nckdictator posted:

I think there's a pattern here...

I sense a Photoshop thread approaching....

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

There's a joke here somewhere.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Nckdictator posted:

I think it's the fact that time is a flat loving circle.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Nckdictator posted:

Almer Pennewell owns.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Kennel posted:

These are great!

So are these. :)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Taste test of strong beers:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Snapchat A Titty posted:

What am I looking for? I can't read this language.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Pththya-lyi posted:

I figured the hosed up typography would be enough to tell that they're not just tasting, but drinking the beers and are getting too drunk to properly write out the reviews.

it's also from the back page, which usually contains less serious stuff

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I see that I need to try some Danish øls next time i'm in Copenhagen or Aarhus.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Yvonmukluk posted:

That is amazing. (I suspect all these kick-rear end women were featured in 19th century tabloids precisely because women were seen as weak and helpless back then, so it was ~shocking~ when a woman did something badass.)

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Pththya-lyi posted:

From what I can pick out, the first and the last one are the same review, despite being clearly different beers(with different names from the one in red I think too).

It's also Swedish, which is a fake language anyway

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Postal Parcel posted:

From what I can pick out, the first and the last one are the same review, despite being clearly different beers(with different names from the one in red I think too).

It's also Swedish, which is a fake language anyway

Swedish doesn't use "æ" and "ø", you silly person. It's Danish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe

Kopijeger posted:

Swedish doesn't use "æ" and "ø", you silly person. It's Danish.

I didn't know there was a language based off of a pastry.