Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

drgnwr1 posted:

A friend of mine had 2 of these, and slid both of them apart when opening them. Then she got a Motorola Juke

A Co-worker still uses that to this day. I mean, my parents still use flip phones but the ones that are free and new at the phone store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I haven't updated to an iPhone 6 for a number of reasons, but a main one is that it's loving huge. I don't exactly wear skinny jeans, but it's so clunky that I can basically fit an iPhone 6, its charger cord and my earbuds in one pocket at the same time and that's about it. An Otterbox just makes it even worse. The CEO at the company I work at has an iPhone 6S in an Otterbox (which I often have to fix or mess around with for him because he's extremely technologically impaired but also wants top of the line stuff as a status symbol because he grew up poor and married wealthy) and it's so unwieldy that it almost necessitates a belt clip or external pouch of some kind.

1. 6S? That hasnt exactly been released yet, so...
2. Who carries USB cable in their pocket for charging it?
3. Of course an otterbox case makes it unreasonably big. I have no idea why anyone would use one for everyday use.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

spog posted:

My similar Ericsson came with two batteries.

If you used the slim battery, it would only last half a day

If you used the thick battery, it would last until the end of the day. But it was too big to fit in your pocket.

Yep, that one did too. It also came with several different coloured fascias.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Slanderer posted:

1. 6S? That hasnt exactly been released yet, so...
2. Who carries USB cable in their pocket for charging it?
3. Of course an otterbox case makes it unreasonably big. I have no idea why anyone would use one for everyday use.

Sorry, forgot the 6S hadn't been released. When I go outside the house (especially for an extended time period), I carry my charger cable and either a wall plug or a portable charger so I can keep my phone topped up. I also bring my cable to and from the office and keep my phone charged from my computer.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Coffee And Pie posted:

On that topic, how did people carry around those big old phones?
The massive massive ones, well they were hooked up to a briefcase or a battery pack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovo8I710hSM

Most early mobile phones were car-phones until the DynaTAC came along,.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WUF3yjgGf4

Yes that's a specialized briefcase designed with an access compartment for your phone.

Then came the MicroTAC, which is pretty much the phone you see in most early 90's films featuring some show-off executive (like Hook) and these were either stored inside an inner jacket pocket or a belt holster.

Motorola also produced the Bag Phone, which was there to target a market who needed more battery power and a phone that was a bit more rugged.

It was also pretty common to have things like personal organizers with a mobile phone pocket on the outside of them as well. I know bum-bags were one place to store phones and handbags and satchels began to have dedicated phone pockets.

My ye Olde Nokia 5110 was usually stuffed into my jeans pockets; you pretty much walked around with an ungainly bulge unless you had JNCO jeans or cargo pants with a long pocket for the phone.
I did try a belt clip but that was kind of annoying as it either slid off when you sat down or ripped off a belt loop or snapped the clip.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Slanderer posted:

I have a Galaxy S3 in a Commuter otterbox and it fits just fine in the back pocket of my tight jeans and in the front pocket of my khakis (because they only have fake back pockets, the fuckers :argh:)

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I had a belt holster for both my phone and my Palm. I don't miss that Batman utility belt look.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Slanderer posted:

iPhone screens are so goddamn fragile that an errant sneeze two blocks away will spiderweb them. I don't blame anyone who uses a big bulky-rear end case 24/7 to protect a phone so expensive to repair.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
The iPhone in an otterbox defender was the phone of choice for mechanics when I worked at a car dealership. Hugely bulky but those cases would last through some truly egregious abuse, including getting run over or chucked across the shop.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

chitoryu12 posted:

Sorry, forgot the 6S hadn't been released. When I go outside the house (especially for an extended time period), I carry my charger cable and either a wall plug or a portable charger so I can keep my phone topped up. I also bring my cable to and from the office and keep my phone charged from my computer.

You're overblowing it a bit I think, I have a 6+ and while it is pretty big carrying it around has never been an issue. :shrug:

I can see wanting to bring your charger with you, but on the other hand the battery life on the 6/6+ is pretty amazing, I'm an extremely heavy user of my phone and have never had a problem with it lasting a full day on a charge.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I have literally never heard of anyone carrying their phone charger regularly because that is probably insane for one reason or another. I have one in my laptop back for travel and that's it.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

iPhone screens are so goddamn fragile that an errant sneeze two blocks away will spiderweb them. I don't blame anyone who uses a big bulky-rear end case 24/7 to protect a phone so expensive to repair.

The only people I know who regularly bitch about breaking their phone screens are sloppy drunks. This anecdote is 100% accurate and factual.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The 6 for me is a bad combination of too large to fit comfortably in my pocket and too skinny to easily keep a grip on it, sort of like a Razr. If they don't make a normal size smartphone my 5 will be the last iPhone I own.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Slanderer posted:

I have literally never heard of anyone carrying their phone charger regularly because that is probably insane for one reason or another. I have one in my laptop back for travel and that's it.

Did humanity collectively forget backpacks exist at some point? I've got a charger, an umbrella, a water bottle, sunglasses, shopping bags, earbuds, a toothbrush with toothpaste, earmuffs, a hat, gloves, and glasses cleaning supplies with me all the time. It's like two pounds, tops.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Earmuffs?

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Little collapsible ones. Texas can get surprisingly chilly and windy in winter.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Slanderer posted:

Well you see, I'm super clumsy. It's saved my rear end numerous times having a virtually indestructible phone.

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.

An Angry Bug posted:

60 degrees isn't chilly

E: And a dusting of snow shouldn't shut down the state Georgia

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

An Angry Bug posted:

But it is summer! Shouldn't you swap out the muffs and gloves for sunscreen and a swell visor?

EDIT: I have to ask: why is this guy carrying a Fluke and a sidearm? And lockpicks? What the hell?

Dick Trauma has a new favorite as of 17:53 on Aug 6, 2015

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man
Everybody in this thread be all like

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Me and the missus head to Disney World every couple of years, and on the Carousel of Progress, the teenage daughter in the final "present day" scene says, "Oh Grandpa, you're not going to tell us about the good-old-days when you didn't even have a car phone!" And the line was completely straight when this version of the show first appeared -- it isn't supposed to be played for laughs.

We never miss it. I love going to see what the world will be like 15 years ago, with the HD virtual-reality gaming consoles, car phones and voice-activated ovens.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

WebDog posted:

Then came the MicroTAC, which is pretty much the phone you see in most early 90's films featuring some show-off executive (like Hook) and these were either stored inside an inner jacket pocket or a belt holster.

The MicroTAC came right around when my dad started his one-man radiocommunication company (still in business today!), so of course we named our cat at the time after it. He was a feisty little bugger :3: and thankfully a lot more reliable than his namesake.

quote:

My ye Olde Nokia 5110 was usually stuffed into my jeans pockets; you pretty much walked around with an ungainly bulge unless you had JNCO jeans or cargo pants with a long pocket for the phone.
I did try a belt clip but that was kind of annoying as it either slid off when you sat down or ripped off a belt loop or snapped the clip.

These swivel belt clips were the absolute business for the 5110 etc.

They seemed to hold up pretty well back in the day.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Dick Trauma posted:

But it is summer! Shouldn't you swap out the muffs and gloves for sunscreen and a swell visor?
I use the umbrella as a parasol. Or the hat. Plus the gloves are thin ones that don't take up much room.

Dick Trauma posted:

EDIT: I have to ask: why is this guy carrying a Fluke and a sidearm? And lockpicks? What the hell?
I think you know why.

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

KozmoNaut posted:

The MicroTAC came right around when my dad started his one-man radiocommunication company (still in business today!), so of course we named our cat at the time after it. He was a feisty little bugger :3: and thankfully a lot more reliable than his namesake.

These swivel belt clips were the absolute business for the 5110 etc.

They seemed to hold up pretty well back in the day.

And they made an awesome clicking noise as you spun your phone around in them slowly.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

Never know when you might have to go loud and drop tangos in the server room.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

drgnwr1 posted:

And they made an awesome clicking noise as you spun your phone around in them slowly.

Love me some ratchet joints.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Never know when you might have to go loud and drop tangos in the server room.

Tango in the server room?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgqns7ATZW8

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Enos Shenk posted:

Meanwhile I dropped my Ericsson brick once, and all that happened is the battery fell off.

I had an Ericsson phone with a pull out antenna that of course stripped its screws while in my pocket. Phone insurance didn't cover antenna damage so I sealed the phone in a plastic baggy and proceeded to throw it as far into the air as possible to land on concrete. Multiple times. Without any effect whatsoever. I finally had to go to a second floor railing and fling it down with all my strength to get the slightest crack on the LCD. Traded it in for a Nokia without a lovely antenna.

Probably should have just run over it, but I was driving a very small car and I don't think that would have worked either.

I'm pretty sure it was this one:

Nearly indestructible except for that loving antenna.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

drgnwr1 posted:

60 degrees isn't chilly

It most certainly gets colder and generally in snaps because there are not a lot of mountains.

And yeah gently caress States that never get snow not spending millions on maintaining equipment they won't use except a few days every few decades.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of obsolete phones, remember Tracfone? Apparently the company still exists, though I can't imagine who has one other than drug dealers.

Man what a ripoff. I recall it being $20 for 60 minutes? And texts cost .25 minutes, sending OR recieving. Nowadays I can get 5gb of 4g and unlimited texting for $30 a month.

My next phone was one of these bad boys:

As far as I can tell the only use of those media buttons on the front was to loudly start playing music when they got pressed in your pocket. The little circles on either side of the hinge are actually speakers, so this phone actually had some pretty incredible volume for its size.

My last phone before graduating to smartphone territory was an LG slider phone. I thought I would miss the physical keyboard but once I got a good smartphone there was no going back. I look forward to explaining slider phones to my future children.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Wasabi the J posted:

It most certainly gets colder and generally in snaps because there are not a lot of mountains.

And yeah gently caress States that never get snow not spending millions on maintaining equipment they won't use except a few days every few decades.

You don't need to plow/salt every time you see a white dot on the ground. Less than 4in? Suck it up and drive you'll be fine.

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Jmcrofts posted:

Speaking of obsolete phones, remember Tracfone? Apparently the company still exists, though I can't imagine who has one other than drug dealers.

Man what a ripoff. I recall it being $20 for 60 minutes? And texts cost .25 minutes, sending OR recieving. Nowadays I can get 5gb of 4g and unlimited texting for $30 a month.

Dealers, terrorists, government agents, anyone who needs a quick "untrackable" phone that they can ditch afterwards without it coming back to them.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

drgnwr1 posted:

Dealers, terrorists, government agents, anyone who needs a quick "untrackable" phone that they can ditch afterwards without it coming back to them.

Isn't VOIP an easier solution to this now, or is that hard to do anonymously?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Early on Tracfone was actually the better deal if you didn't use your phone much. I didn't text at all in those days and it was actually like 10 cents a text in the end. Tracfone also didn't make you sign contracts or put down deposits or whatever. If your credit was dismal and you needed a phone you didn't even really plan on using much it was better. I'd talk on my phone maybe like an hour or two total every month so there was just no point in getting something fancier that would cost more.

Now though, well...you can get unlimited text, drat near unlimited calling, and several GB of data on the cheap. Of course that was also before the collusion that the telecoms were up to came out and they were deliberately keeping prices high. Welp.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Jmcrofts posted:

Back then everyone sucked for texting. Part of the reason I left AT&T 2 years ago was the $30 they charged just so my family could text. I think they finally went to free texts a few months later, but for several years you had the choice of paying a quarter a text or $30 for unlimited.

It's only recently that phone plans have started to make sense. In the United States at least.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Gromit posted:

Yeah, a long time ago. Well, to be fair it was more of a stories thread where I had crudely illustrated some tales in MSPaint about some of the raids I and colleagues had gone on. It's been a few years, maybe I should bust out my terrible drawing skills and do an update.

Do it!

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

Tracfone is still around and sell smart phones cheap enough for poor's like me to have, and the lovely huawei I got from them has managed to outlive every phone my friends have had in the past 3 years

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

drgnwr1 posted:

60 degrees isn't chilly

Most of my school "snow days" had nothing to do with whether or not any snow had actually fallen, it just got too cold to start the old rear end buses so the schools were like "eh who cares."

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Kaizoku posted:

You don't need to plow/salt every time you see a white dot on the ground. Less than 4in? Suck it up and drive you'll be fine.

They dont generally have cold-weather tires in southern states, so driving in snow and ice is a big risk. Also, what tends to happen in Ga is that the snow will fall, melt a little during the day, then freeze over the roads and stuff overnight, causing very danderous conditions for people who have no idea how to drive in the ice.

I don't get why every other state cares what Georgia does when it snows.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I resisted getting a cellphone for years until I had a flat tire on the way to work and couldn't find a pay phone.

I got this cheap bastard:

And had a pay-as-you-go plan. It served me well for 4-5 years until it got to a point where it just couldn't pick up a decent signal.

Then I got this one:

Better reception and I can set ringtones of my own and take pictures. I don't use it a lot, but it gets the job done. Now, I'm on a pay-per-day of use plan.

Mostly, it's my alarm clock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Dad?